• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
UPDATE: User JaseC provided a solution that worked for me (see threadmark).

Control disappeared from my account. I pre-purchased (via EGS when it was discounted by 10 EUR) because I thought "how bad can EGS be, give them a chance.".

On Tuesday noon I opened a support ticket. The answer came within an hour. I wrote from the same mail my account is associated with:

We have tried to locate the account using this mail yet we are unable to come up with any. Worry not we can still locate the right one by allowing us to have the information below:

1. Email address associated with your Epic Games account
2. Current Epic Games account display name
3. First and last names of Epic Games account holder
4. External account currently connected to your Epic Games account, if applicable.
--This includes Google, Facebook, Twitch, PSN, Xbox, and Switch accounts.
--Include the platform AND display name of any external accounts.

Once you provide the requested information, we'll be investigating right away.
After providing all the details they send an email verification to my email address, I did how I've been told. Then they replied:

We believe you indeed pre-purchase the Cotrol and we are unable to see it to the account under EMAIL. Worry not, we can still look into its entitlements, by means of providing the merchant where you purchase the game and code as well.

I told them I purchased it directly through EGS and provided them even the transaction number/order ID. Then they replied:

Thank you so much for providing the Order ID.

For us to validate this further, may we ask for a copy of the billing statement you have with the purchase?
I tried to forward the email receipt I could send to my mail via order history at EGS, but they couldn't see it and told me so. I re-sent an actual image taken from that email receipt right away and... got no response. A few hours later I sent another email telling them that I sent an image. Still no response as of this moment.

When I go to my library, I see an empty space/distorted graphics between last B and first D initial titled games, indicating that where C (as in CONTROL) should be is nothing. The store says I own the game when I hover over the purchase button yet I can't install it.

Having legitimate bought something and not being able to access it... hasn't happened to me on Steam in 11 years of using Steam, but EGS somehow managed to pull that stunt off within just two months.

What the fuck!?

Never buy anything from that store.

Last edited:

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I had this issue with BL3 but thankfully it just required me to press the purchase button on the store again and I could install it. It's a shame EGS has so many library breaking issues but alas this is how it goes when they barely put enough resources into the store since almost every single feature planned for the past 3 months gets pushed back

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
Yikes, good luck dealing with that.

But in the meantime, based on what Komo said, the problem may simply be client-side. Try doing a nuke & pave of the EGS (uninstall, manually delete the EGS install directory, re-download and re-install EGS) and see if that fixes it.

Solution!

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
The same thing happened to me after I uninstalled the game. Exit EGS, delete C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\EpicGamesLauncher (you may want to back up the Saved folder first), and then reopen EGS; the game should be back in your library once you've signed in.

Edit: Credit to ScrewyAurum for the fix.

Last edited:

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Well this makes me reconsider buying a Borderlands 3 key off someone. Imagine buying a Control key off someone on Era and running into this issue.
What could you even do? You'd be screwed.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Noticed this issue yesterday. Luckily I "found" Control on the Start Page upper right corner which said "Install". So I reinstalled and it automatically created a folder called "Calluna". The Exe which was put on my desktop also sported the Control Logo but the name "Calluna" lol

What a dumpster fire.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Had the same thing happened to me but they responded here's how they had me fix it
Thanks for those screenshots. Have you tried clicking on the owned button? If not Please complete the following steps to flush your DNS and clear your Epic Games Launcher cache.

1. Click 'Start' button and type "cmd"

2. Right-click on 'Command Prompt' and select 'Run as administrator.' The 'Command Prompt' window opens with a black screen.

3. Type "netsh winsock reset" and press the Enter key.

4. Restart your computer.

5. Repeat steps 2 and 3 to re-open the 'Command Prompt' window.

6. Type "ipconfig /flushdns" and press the Enter key.

7. Then, type "ipconfig/release" and press the Enter key.

8. Then, type "ipconfig /renew" and press the Enter key.

9. Press the Windows key + R and type "%localappdata%" top open a File Explorer window.

10. Look for the Epic Games Launcher folder and delete it.

11. Restart your computer and try running the Launcher or game again

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
If you ain't outta Cotrol, you ain't in Cotrol.

Hopefully the suggestions in here help you more than the questionable customer support you've received thus far.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
that repeated "worry not" is kind of unsettling.
You+will+surely+get+the+karkland+servers+are+down+please_5b2d3e_4650143.png

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
Well, as someone who recently bought and is currently playing Control through the EGS that is certainly concerning.
Hope the solutions that were offered here work for you (and maybe for me in the near future, who knows!)

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like boilerplate under-supported support staff responses. You will get your game back, it will just be a headache.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Lol they asked you for all the stuff they asked me when I tried to refund a game, there were several emails like that till they could link my mail with my Epic account. I'm never buying anything from them again of course, at least till they fix their stupid backwards system.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Radio silent because the next response has been pushed further on the road map.

Hope you regain Control soon OP.

Oct 27, 2017
I actually had a similar thing happen with Control... but it was because I had to switch my HDD out and only that game had the weird bug. Everything else let me reinstall without an issue but the square where Control should have been was blank. I believe I just had to go to the store page and it prompted me to reinstall.

I would try to uninstall the EGS stuff and reinstall and see what happens.

Oct 25, 2017
The same thing happened to me after I uninstalled the game. Exit EGS, delete C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\EpicGamesLauncher (you may want to back up the Saved folder first), and then reopen EGS; the game should be back in your library once you've signed in.

Just tried this since I guess I had the same issue OP did, and it works. Thanks! OP, you should definitely do this if you haven't tried it already.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
Control disappeared from my account. I pre-purchased (via EGS when it was discounted by 10 EUR) because I thought "how bad can EGS be, give them a chance.".

On Tuesday noon I opened a support ticket. The answer came within an hour. I wrote from the same mail my account is associated with:

After providing all the details they send an email verification to my email address, I did how I've been told. Then they replied:

I told them I purchased it directly through EGS and provided them even the transaction number/order ID. Then they replied:

I tried to forward the email receipt I could send to my mail via order history at EGS, but they couldn't see it and told me so. I re-sent an actual image taken from that email receipt right away and... got no response. A few hours later I sent another email telling them that I sent an image. Still no response as of this moment.

When I go to my library, I see an empty space/distorted graphics between last B and first D initial titled games, indicating that where C (as in CONTROL) should be is nothing. The store says I own the game when I hover over the purchase button yet I can't install it.

Having legitimate bought something and not being able to access it... hasn't happened to me on Steam in 11 years of using Steam, but EGS somehow managed to pull that stunt off within just two months.

What the fuck!?

Never buy anything from that store.
Wife had a similar issue, preordered a game and wanted to cancel later but Epic told her they couldn't find it in her account and asked her to send screenshots and stuff despite already having provided an order id. Never got solved. Ridiculous.

Good luck, OP!

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I actually had a similar thing happen with Control... but it was because I had to switch my HDD out and only that game had the weird bug. Everything else let me reinstall without an issue but the square where Control should have been was blank. I believe I just had to go to the store page and it prompted me to reinstall.

I would try to uninstall the EGS stuff and reinstall and see what happens.

Ah, I was wondering about the store page when people said it was client-side. I know the store's pretty bare bones, but I felt like the store page would still show whether they know you actually have it on your account still or not. Sounds like it would say that, then?

OP
OP
ThreepQuest64

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany

Just tried this since I guess I had the same issue OP did, and it works. Thanks! OP, you should definitely do this if you haven't tried it already.
Thank you, man, it worked!

I could reproduce the error by moving back the whole backed up folder again: the game disappeared again.

Seems like their client is a piece of junk. I deleted the folder and only copied back the "Saves" folder. It's great that the community can help me withing 30minutes what the support can't achieve in two days...

Interestingly I didn't find the solution while googling. Anyways, I'm installing the game right now and took Control again.

TAKE. CONTROL.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you, man, it worked!

I could reproduce the error by moving back the whole backed up folder again: the game disappeared again.

Seems like their client is a piece of junk. I deleted the folder and only copied back the "Saves" folder. It's great that the community can help me withing 30minutes what the support can't achieve in two days...

Interestingly I didn't find the solution while googling. Anyways, I'm installing the game right now and took Control again.

TAKE. CONTROL.

Since you have an issue open with them, let them know you solved it this way so they can find a way to patch it.