• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Sony has begun communicating with developers about its plans for timed game trials for PlayStation Plus Premium subscribers. According to sources speaking to Game Developer, developers working on games that cost $34 or higher (€33 in Europe, ¥4000 in Japan) are now required to create time-limited game trials of their games. These trial versions must be at least two hours long. (Update: This number was previously referred to as the retail pricing, it has been updated to reflect that it refers to wholesale pricing.)

Games that cost lower than those amounts are not required to create limited-time trials, according to the new policy. The plan follows Sony's announcement for expanded subscription options for PlayStation Plus.

Many developers were informed about the new policy via an update to Sony's developer portal. Our sources indicated they had not received any other communication about this change.

The good news is, these requirements are not retroactive and do not apply to upcoming PlayStation VR titles. The less-great news is that if you're a developer planning to release on the PlayStation store in the future, you now need to budget time and resources to create these new timed trials.

There is some flexibility as part of Sony's policy. Developers have up until three months after their games launch on the PlayStation Store to release their timed trial. Trials are also only required to be available to PlayStation Plus Premium users for at least 12 months.

Sony is also open to releasing custom game demos instead of time-limited game trials, but these will only be approved on a case-by-case basis. Developers are also still free to publish free weekends, game trials, or custom demos that can be accessed by all PlayStation owners.

www.gamedeveloper.com

Timed game trials are now a requirement for some PlayStation developers

Sony is requiring some developers to create timed trials for their games to include in its PlayStation Plus Premium plans.

Last edited:

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
Wow.

Was not expecting the time trails to be this extensive. That's kinda a big deal. Especially if progress carries over.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Why does this fall on the developer?
A.) They shouldn't be forced to do this at all.
B.) Why wouldn't they just have it so that a user would download the entirety of the game, and then lock the user out of it after two hours of launch. That seems the easiest way to do it, and would fall on Sony to figure out the licensing.
C.) Games that are short should be excluded regardless, people could just abuse the trial period to blow through a game and never buy

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
In that case, wouldn't it be easier if Sony put in a timer on the store at a system level?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Dumb. Timed Trials are the least enticing aspect of a sub-service. It's not something I'd mandate on anyone.

Edit: My later posts in this thread have this clarified as it apparently not being as restrictive as first thought for devs.

Last edited:

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
There's a The Order: 1886 joke in here somewhere.

I get why they're doing this, but it seems counterintuitive for some games.

Oct 30, 2017
Haven't developers stated that it's kind of a pain to create downloadable demos? Like for HFW, you'd need to create a 2 hour long experience where it's not super spoiler heavy, you have to wall off parts of the open world, and then equip the player with a certain subset of weapons that helps samples the game well.
I'm not super crazy about this.

And maybe I'm making this up, but didn't developers find that game demos hurt game sales?

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I assume considering the price point this is aimed at AAA pub/devs and not indie. Will big publishers accept this?

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Wow, time trials for EVERY game priced over $34. I'm split, seems like a headache for devs but good for people who want to try a game before committing to the purchase?

Actually, they could achieve the same effect by implementing a proper PSN refund mechanism like steam does. This way devs wouldn't need to allocate extra resources to a dedicated trial and consumers wouldn't need to pay a premium subscription fee to try something before they buying it.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
That's shit. It should be up to the devs and pubs, or Sony should incentivize it. Maybe bigger cut or something.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Great fucking news.

Also this isn't some boon to development, game trials are not demos that they have to specifically make and schedule dev time for, its literally the full game with a timer that you then have to unlock.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Seems shitty to require it rather than to pay some devs to provide them as a bonus. As the platform holder Sony should shoulder the burden of such a policy, not the individual developers and publishers. I can't imagine this could ever become standard.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
This is great, I thought the trials were only going to be for first-party games. Two hours is a little short, though, imho.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Gotta wonder how much work this is on the developer side, rather than on Sony's storefront/authentication side. Like, it's not a demo it's just 2 hour access to the full game, right?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't developers stated that it's kind of a pain to create downloadable demos? Like for HFW, you'd need to create a 2 hour long experience where it's not super spoiler heavy, you have to wall off parts of the open world, and then equip the player with a certain subset of weapons that helps samples the game well.
I'm not super crazy about this.

And maybe I'm making this up, but didn't developers find that game demos hurt game sales?

It's not a demo. It's giving people access to the game for 2 hours on a timer.

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
Wait. Sony, instead of offering a system level function for timed trials is forcing devs to create a custom version as a trial? I think its bad they force every AAA game to have a 2 hour trial but atleast that would have been a more cohesive strategy than just contractually forcing devs to do more work for one specific platform

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I doubt this is high cost at all. It is essentially the full game with a timer and a message as time runs out.

Its equivalent to Steam Refunds in a way, with extra steps.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
This could be really cool. There's a lot of games I wanna try before committing to a purchase

Oct 30, 2017
Why does this fall on the developer?
A.) They shouldn't be forced to do this at all.
B.) Why wouldn't they just have it so that a user would download the entirety of the game, and then lock the user out of it after two hours of launch. That seems the easiest way to do it, and would fall on Sony to figure out the licensing.
C.) Games that are short should be excluded regardless, people could just abuse the trial period to blow through a game and never buy
Yeah it seems like Sony likes the idea of a 2 hour curated experience that effectively demonstrates the essence of a game rather than a game that has a slow 2 hour period starting period.
Or for like with TLOU2, they necessarily wouldn't want a game trial to feature the

hmp

Mar 29, 2022
I love this and I honestly don't see how this is anti-dev as some people here are saying.

Steam has a 2 hour refund period too. It's pretty much the same thing.

Oghuz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes! This is the next best thing after allowing for refunds. Finally some good news.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Sony, how about sorting your refund process out rather than putting more work on the developers?

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
I doubt this is high cost at all. It is essentially the full game with a timer and a message as time runs out.

Equivalent.. . with extra steps.

Basically, its not equivalent

I love this and I honestly don't see how this is anti-dev as some people here are saying.

Steam has a 2 hour refund period too. It's pretty much the same thing.

its not. this seems like the devs have to create a separate trial version. if it was just a timer, Sony can implement that on a system level

GPanime

Community Manager at Ubisoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
A better refund policy would probably be a better solution than this.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
I can't imagine there's a lot of publishers selling games above $34 that want to give out a trial.

Whilst there's a positive for the consumer in that it gives a try before buy option to PS+ subs it seems kind of aggressive to force it on publishers.

Sony definitely going for the stick rather than the carrot again with their platform policies.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I presume it doesn't have to be a bespoke trial, and can just be the game with a time limit applied. In that case it shouldn't be that big a deal in terms of development, I presume. I also presume that developers get some sort of revenue share from Premium subs for this, based on trial plays or whatever.

For the user it's great. As a feature for Premium, 'trials' weren't that appealing unless it was going to be widespread.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how this is a negative for devs. They get to put their best foot forward for two hours and potentially get extra sales.

Oct 25, 2017
How much work is it to make your game playable for two hours? I think there should be opting out on some shorter games and maybe in those cases the devs would rather make a shorter specific demo instead which would be more work but I don't see how making Death Stranding or AAA game X playable for 2 hours is tons of work.

I see most AAA devs using the 3 month window doubt the trials would be there day one.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

I hope it's that straightforward. I think developers should be able to put a level/progression limit too if they have shorter games.

I could see speed runners using trials for trophies if the trials allow trophies.

sazz

Aug 3, 2020
London, UK
I'm sure most devs will just release the first two hours of their games as the demo/trial, while some (like first-party) may want to create a slightly different version that better shows off the game.

AImalexia

Prophet of Truth
Aug 31, 2021
So the devs are required to allot time to make a 2h trial that they must offer for free with no compensation from sony? This sounds weird