• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
I have a 1TB cap, and while I'm not defending data caps, I only ever got to 75% usage once in 3 years of having it. That was when I got a 2TB external drive for my PS4 and reinstalled and downloaded about a dozen games at once. There are never enough games out in a single month to even get to half of my cap. I don't understand how people keep maxing out 1TB a month .

Streaming and games my friend. I stream all the time at 4k resolution. Streaming in 1080p on Netflix takes up 4.7GB/hour. So a regular one-hour episode of something debiting less than 5GB from your allotment is no big deal. However, with 4K, you've got quadruple the pixel count, so you're burning through 18.8GB/hour. So lets say you binge watch 1 season of stranger things. That's 169 GB. You add that along with games of 40-60 GB. Add that all up, add a family watching multiple streams at once and hitting 1 TB is super super easy.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
Then having 3 total people in a place means you should be able to split/bear the burden of paying overage charges.

How is that any different than having a higher electric, water, or natural gas bill? All those things are going to be higher compared to just 1 person, but you have more people to financially split the bills with.
Because providing 10TB or 1TB of data is the same cost as delivering 100GB of data. You are using a false equivalency to compare.

Electric, water, gas all have directly reflecting costs for returns. Data is NOT AT ALL the same.

You are basically defending the "the internet is a series of tubes" argument. Do you understand why that is shortsighted?

Streaming and games my friend. I stream all the time at 4k resolution. Streaming in 1080p on Netflix takes up 4.7GB/hour. So a regular one-hour episode of something debiting less than 5GB from your allotment is no big deal. However, with 4K, you've got quadruple the pixel count, so you're burning through 18.8GB/hour. So lets say you binge watch 1 season of stranger things. That's 169 GB. You add that along with games of 40-60 GB. Add that all up, add a family watching multiple streams at once and hitting 1 TB is super super easy.

Shhhh your 1TB is enough. It's just like if you wanted to use more hot water. Gosh. /s

Last edited:

vicegold

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really have a problem with big downloads normally, but when it takes 45 minutes to download a 1.3GB update for Fortnite PS4 with my 400Mbit/s provider. Damn, i hate the speed of PSN downloads. In theory that update should have taken 26 seconds :P

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
Assassin's Creed Origins had an install size of 15 GB and languages were downloadable separately.

For such a Gigantic game, it was a breath of fresh air.