• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Activists Clara Gonzales and Elliot Lepers launched the "anti-relou" (anti-annoyance) mobile phone service Friday, encouraging women being hassled by insistent men to give its number out instead of their own.

If a man who refused to take "no" for an answer texted the fake number, he would receive an automatic response reading: "If a woman says no, there's no point in insisting."

Gonzales and Lepers said they axed the service late Monday after the number received "more than 20,000 insulting messages" over the course of a few hours.

The organisers were also targeted on Twitter with a flood of hate messages including death threats, while dozens of food orders were made to their homes.

Gonzales and Lepers said the campaign against them was organised via an infamous youth forum on website jeuxvideo .com -- roughly a French equivalent of the English-language message board 4chan, a hub for young internet trolls.

More at: https://www.thelocal.fr/20171031/ha...ench-anti-harassment-hotline-after-three-days

Catcall me if old

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what to do here but kind of gasp in pretend shock and actual disgust. Some men are so fucking fragile when it comes to their shitty expectations.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
jeuxvideo is equal to 4chan now?
Either that's a completely inaccurate statement or that site went to hell in the last couple of years.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Liking videogames used to mean you were a loser in high school society

How I long for those days...

afroguy10

Keeping it 100K
Oct 25, 2017
Does it really matter whether the site equates jeuxvideo to 4chan? The people on said forum were arseholes and got what could've been a great resource for women shut down, that's the take away here.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
I hadn't checked jeux videos for like a decade until I read an article about their grassroots support of le pen. Make no mistake, it is a cesspool every point similar to 4chan, rabid racism and all.

Pacbois

Oct 27, 2017
Either that's a completely inaccurate statement or that site went to hell in the last couple of years.

18-25 forum is the closest thing to french 4chan yeah. Bunch of trolls often harassing women, supporting far-right politics, often with the complicity of the mod team and the website closing their eyes because that forum brings a lot of traffic.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Does it really matter whether the site equates jeuxvideo to 4chan? The people on said forum were arseholes and got what could've been a great resource for women shut down, that's the take away here.

A resource sure, but a great resource? At the end of the day, it's just a fake number as far as the woman is concerned.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Disappointing to say the least. Some people just don't know when to stop.

Also, why are they emphasising the age part? Just another way to chastise millennials, like only 'young' people are capable of these things. How would they get this data anyway?

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I forgot all about jeauxvideo. Seemed like a major website a decade ago. Guess gamers tend to be Men's Rights Activists all over the world too.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Also, why are they emphasising the age part? Just another way to chastise millennials, like only 'young' people are capable of these things. How would they get this data anyway?
I guess it's not mentioned in the article but the main forum section of jeuxvideo .com is the "18-25" (referring to age).

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People think video games are for kids and those people prove it. What a pathetic pack of man children.

Oct 29, 2017

Jeuxvideo.com = French 4chan, really?

My thoughts exactly when I read that passage. It doesn't feel that long ago when Jeuxvideo.com had a different URL - which the name is escaping me - and was a regular part of the news rotation on the old forums for those of us that could read and translate French.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My thoughts exactly when I read that passage. It doesn't feel that long ago when Jeuxvideo.com had a different URL - which the name is escaping me - and was a regular part of the news rotation on the old forums for those of us that could read and translate French.
Huh? Jeuxvideo .com always had that URL.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Gaming culture continues to be one of the worst. Not because a portion of the consumers act out in terrible ways but because the biggest industry figure heads will give lip service about the industry and culture without damning the human-trash that harass people constantly.

A mixture of anonymity, toxic masculinity, and entitlement.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Oct 27, 2017

If it really is 18-25 year olds, some are too young to even be considered millennials, depending where you draw the line. We are getting into Generation Z now.

Alx

Oct 27, 2017
I must be getting old, but I swear JeuxVideo.com used to have a different name.

There is a jeuxvideo.fr, but it's a completely different site. JV.com is one of the oldest French sites still standing, I don't think it ever changed its name.
Often quoted French sites are gameblog and gamekult, but they're also their own separate thing.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Can't say I expected anything else from the gaming community. Seems about right

Outside of gaf/resetera I expect that kind of behaviour to be the norm. No wonder why no one is taking gaming seriously.

Zebei

Oct 25, 2017
There is something ironic to be found about a service to stop harassment being harassed.

Only proving the point. . .

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some folks might finger point to political discourse and whatnot as the roots of "toxicity" online but the gaming community is one of the most toxic I've ever encountered.

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
I hadn't checked jeux videos for like a decade until I read an article about their grassroots support of le pen. Make no mistake, it is a cesspool every point similar to 4chan, rabid racism and all.
Wait, they did that? Seriously? Outwardly supporting Le Pen? Feck sake, I thought The Escapist was bad once they fired MovieBob and the others from their site and started pandering to the Goobers, but JeuxVideo declaring their support for her?

Raven117

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it really is 18-25 year olds, some are too young to even be considered millennials, depending where you draw the line. We are getting into Generation Z now.
And strangely, Generation Z is way more "alt-right(y)"... It is baffling to me, but there are some reports showing this.

I guess now that I am thinking about it....it kinda makes sense in a sad way.

I don't think its video games that cause this...I think video games are a natural hobby for people like this. I don't think you pick up your copy of Mario, or even Call of Duty Multiplayer, and them become crazy alt right. I think you are already susceptible to that message, and then you pick up the controller.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, they did that? Seriously? Outwardly supporting Le Pen? Feck sake, I thought The Escapist was bad once they fired MovieBob and the others from their site and started pandering to the Goobers, but JeuxVideo declaring their support for her?
Not the staff of Jeuxvideo, the posters in their forums. (Although the staff really couldn't care less, as long as the site gets dem clicks and ad revenue.)

Off-topic: nice avatar

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I forgot all about jeauxvideo. Seemed like a major website a decade ago. Guess gamers tend to be Men's Rights Activists all over the world too.
<mod hat> I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, and that you meant that MRAs are not limited by geographic zone, and not that "most gamers are MRAs", but your post came across as the latter for a few people, so you might want to be careful with the sweeping generalizations. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
<mod hat> I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, and that you meant that MRAs are not limited by geographic zone, and not that "most gamers are MRAs", but your post came across as the latter for a few people, so you might want to be careful with the sweeping generalizations. Thanks.
You're absolutely correct and a mistake on my part, thanks!

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
I genuinely cannot understand why some (many?) men actually do that. It truly escapes any kind of reasoning or logic I could have. What do they think? Do they really believe they're owed something? I just cannot get it.