• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Kazumasa Iwao said:
Happy New Year. In 2017 we were able to release Pokemon Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon, and we express our deep gratitude to everyone who has been playing it. In 2018 we will still continue to hype up Pokemon, so please look forward to it.

If this refers to the mainline Pokémon game that's coming to the Switch is uncertain. But considering that we already know that Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon are the last mainline Pokémon games that the 3DS will ever get, I'd say that the chances of this referring to Pokémon Switch are pretty good. If that's the case, then a 2018 release for the game(s) may end up happening, as The Pokémon Company doesn't usually drag out hype cycles beyond the year of the reveal as of recently.

Source: Famitsu (quote found on GoNintendo)

Last edited:

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You can hype it up real good by releasing a mainline title on Switch next year.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This might be the game that gets me to buy a Switch.

Just please actually use that Switch hardware to innovate the games. The 3DS generations of Pokemon have really soured me on the series.

Lusamine

Oct 25, 2017
They can hype Pokémon without releasing a game in the calendar year; this means nothing.

Nov 11, 2017
It would be nice if they tried to not just rely on Nintendo/Pokemon fans, and also try to change things up a bit.

Is there any info on this game whatsoever? Is it a standard top down pokemon game with DS graphics? or a 100% Switch game?

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm continuing to stick with my prediction that the people with whips atacking the workers want a 2018 release for Pokémon Switch
I mean, I don't disagree that the push for a 2018 release date comes from Nintendo and TPCi, but I also think they're going to try to make it the best they can.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
Ohhh, I love that runup to a new mainline Pokemon game with new Pokemon being revealed/getting leaked one by one and people complaining about how the designs suck compared to the original 150.

Can't wait.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
With a 7 minute video documentary that shows a sketch of a brand new bug type Pokemon released on December 7th

Or maybe something more substantial.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The original Pokémon remade in UE4 to prep for Pokémon Switch.
If you're referring to that listing from a while back, that was for Creatures, not Game Freak. Though the possibility of Pokémon moving to UE4 is still there, I wouldn't take that listing as confirmation of it. And besides, why would Game Freak's first Switch Pokémon game be a bunch of remakes (let alone one that isn't Gen 4, which is next in line for a pair of remakes).

They can hype Pokémon without releasing a game in the calendar year; this means nothing.
That's why I said "If this refers to the mainline Pokémon game that's coming to the Switch is uncertain" in the OP.

Pif

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I want it soon, but this soon makes me wonder how much time have they had to make a new engine for the Switch.

I hope they are not piggybacking on the 3DS engine. On a performance level I've been consistently disappointed by mainline pokemon since the DS...

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I want it soon, but this soon makes me wonder how much have they had to make a new engine for the Switch.

I hope they are not piggybacking on the 3DS engine. On a performance level I've been consistently disappointed by mainline pokemon since the DS...
The performance of the 3DS games has more to do with the fact that the Pokémon models punch FAR above the 3DS's weight in terms of polygon count. This wouldn't be an issue for Gen 8 (or whatever mainline game we end up getting) on the Switch.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We still have the rumor of what over 20+ million Switches Nintendo wants in the next fiscal year? They'll need Pokemon for that.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Already hyped! I think Nintendo will push them for that November 2018 release!
I've got to ask if that's even possible seeming as Game Freak wernt on board with the Switch earlier this year. Could they have designed a whole new generation and their first HD Pokemon RPG in a little over a year? Possibly but I'm doubtful.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The performance of the 3DS games has more to do with the fact that the Pokémon models punch FAR above the 3DS's weight in terms of polygon count. This wouldn't be an issue for Gen 8 (or whatever mainline game we end up getting) on the Switch.
Yeah. They're probably going to reuse the 3DS models, which I'm fine with.

Just don't reuse fucking everything else.

I hope so after the hype that was Ultra changes.
Ultra Mantine Surfing

Sal_S

Oct 30, 2017
Hamilton
Pokemon GO 2 baby.

In reality, I want another good spin-off. Like Mystery Dungeon or Pokemon Ranger. I don't expect Gen VIII next year.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
Excited to see Detective Pikachu localization announcement on January Direct + teaser for the movie later in the year.

Oh and maybe Mystery Dungeon on Switch.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I've got to ask if that's even possible seeming as Game Freak wernt on board with the Switch earlier this year. Could they have designed a whole new generation and their first HD Pokemon RPG in a little over a year? Possibly but I'm doubtful.

I think that was TPC's president, not anyone at Game Freak.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I've got to ask if that's even possible seeming as Game Freak wernt on board with the Switch earlier this year. Can they have designed a whole new generation and their first HD Pokemon RPG in a little over a year? Possibly but I'm doubtful.
They're on record saying it takes them three years to make a new generation. Sun and Moon came out in 2016. I'm not expecting Pokémon in 2018, but if it happens I would be worried as it'd sound like a rush job.