• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they use this proximity to take advice with the zelda team on how to make a amazing open world

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How this isn't already a thing I will never know. Still don't know what James Turner was smoking when he "forgot" to include Wii U in his pitch. Like you'd forget the current platform of your very long time partner? I'm sorry, but I don't buy it.
I think the real reason was they wanted to show that GF was separate from Nintendo. also, I think Sega owns the game, so we have to ask them for a port

Oct 26, 2017
What's he going to say? "Yeah, I was lying just to fuck with Nintendo"? :P

He's a great guy and I adore his work from the Genius Sonority days, but that excuse always rubbed me the wrong way. Could've just been honest and say the Wii U wasn't performing well (we know) and just left it at that. Yeah the game almost surely would've sold most on Wii U, but at least it would've been honest you know?
I think the real reason was they wanted to show that GF was separate from Nintendo. also, I think Sega owns the game, so we have to ask them for a port
I can get behind that as well.

Always seemed weird that they didn't want to just be bought despite being responsible for what is basically Nintendo's #2 IP (behind Mario Kart?). I think insiders spoke about how they wanted to distance Pokemon from Nintendo, even wanting to make it mobile first? But that might've just been grossly exaggerated or something. I just remember reading this on here.

Praglik

Nov 3, 2017
SH
I wonder if Nintendo is trying to get ready for next gen console(s) AAA team sizes, focusing on cross-studio development a bit like Ubisoft...
It would make sense to regroup and consolidate their offices for this purpose.

Oct 27, 2017
I get that the Expansion Pass and the Pokemon Home subscription is very similar to Nintendo's current strategy in other games, but what Aura do you mean?

I wouldn't say that. The expansion pass, yes, but none of Nintendo's non-mobile games have subs. The closest candidate would be Super Mario Maker 2 with its storage of user levels, but that doesn't require any additional recurring fee. This strategy is all on Gamefreak/TPCi

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Intelligent Systems have always been a 1st-party, just not on their business card. Game Freak on the other hand aren't, well not since they started non-Nintendo development again a few years ago. Which was weird as it was 14 years since their last which was Click Medic on PS1 back in 1999. Basically after Gold and Silver that same year, they went full exclusive for those 14 years before releasing Pocket Card Jockey on mobile, and more significantly Tembo on everything BUT Nintendo hardware in 2015.

... yeah.

So why would they consolidate with Nintendo if they're still officially and clearly functionally 3rd-party, unless Nintendo FINALLY popped the question to them?

The better question to ask is: Why not?

It's just an office building. Different companies are in the same building all the time - there's no deep meaning behind it, that's simply the purpose of a multi office building. GameFreak is an independent company, but it's nevertheless working closely together with Nintendo all the time, so being in close approximaty of its most important partner is hardly a bad idea. Similarly, there's a lot to gain for Nintendo too if one of their internal teams can easily assist the studio working on one of their most important releases. It's a win-win without any negatives, so: why not?

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
Are we sure this would even change anything though? Would GF work differently, on different schedules or budget? As far as I always understood, they work relatively independently from Nintendo anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
Are we sure this would even change anything though? Would GF work differently, on different schedules or budget? As far as I always understood, they work relatively independently from Nintendo anyway.
Probably just makes things slightly easier. Maybe more in person/on premise meetings instead of teleconferences

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
Hopefully this is a sign of Nintendo exerting more control-and-influence over the Pokemon IP which would lead to better games and business decisions for the series.

But in the time line we're in it's prob not.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
How many individuals will lose there job because they don't want to relocate?

Most probably none. In Japan, many people can move to the other side of the country if their job is being relocated. It's not a rare thing to see someone living in a city during the week, and coming back once or twice a month to his "real" home where his wife and kids live (yes, it's mostly men; Japan is still incredibly sexist).
It's absolutely unhealthy, and it definitely sucks. But there's not many good things to say about working in Japan anyway.

melichrous

Self-requested temporary ban
Dec 9, 2017
off-topic, but do japanese websites generally look very simple and dated? i'm only familiar with stuff like media create and other random sites since i don't know the language, but i often notice this.

i don't necessary dislike it, it can look nice and clean. but it also reminds me of the 90s.

I'd say probably 3/4 of the Japanese sites I frequent look like this, yeah. For the most part it's fine, but some of them can absolutely be awful.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
This is becoming the real Nintendo World.
And yeah this is a good news, it'll be much easier for devs to switch around if needs be.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I just realized... They are just moving headquarters because they are experiencing employee growth. It's the same as any other companies out there, if they experienced employee growth, then it means they need to move to a bigger location and consolidate the teams under 1 roof.

I guess we should congratulate every one of the 4 studios experiencing employee growth.

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just realized... They are just moving headquarters because they are experiencing employee growth. It's the same as any other companies out there, if they experienced employee growth, then it means they need to move to a bigger location and consolidate the teams under 1 roof.

I guess we should congratulate every one of the 4 studios experiencing employee growth.
Game Freak would be the surprising one, since they said they didn't want to grow past their current numbers. I guess HD development and wanting to make multiple games forced them to rethink that

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
I'm all for it if it means Gamefreak gets more support that way as they clearly need it with their current release schedule.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
I wouldn't say that. The expansion pass, yes, but none of Nintendo's non-mobile games have subs. The closest candidate would be Super Mario Maker 2 with its storage of user levels, but that doesn't require any additional recurring fee. This strategy is all on Gamefreak/TPCi
Some people are already pissed that there's two subscriptions on one device when you play Pokemon, I don't think Nintendo would do anything like that in their inhouse games.
On phones you don't need Nintendo Online, so they sell you other subs there.
The point of my post was to ask what the aura was, the things I mentioned were just the closest to what Nintendo is doing, I won't argue that the subscription doesn't fit perfectly.

Marufuku

Feb 27, 2018
HAL Laboratory also relocated it's main office to the same building as Nintendo and GameFreak (KANDA SQUARE):

https://www.hallab.co.jp/eng/sp/company/profile/

584-B9-B56-3816-49-E0-AC7-B-7806323-CF8-BA.jpg

https://www.gamefreak.co.jp/company/about/

93604-CC2-1-E8-D-4-A6-B-94-BC-0-A1011-A3-EBDA.jpg

Last edited:

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
Always found it interesting that there are so many independent second party studios (I hope that is the right terminology) that are connected to Nintendo (like IS, GF, HAL etc. But if they make games pretty exclusively for you, then why would you need to acquire them.

But back onto the topic. This seems like a pretty good change.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I thought I was going to bump an old thread by doing this, but coincidentally seems it was already bumped today.

Want to rent the former Game Freak office in Carrot Tower (22F)?
Now you can! It became available as of this month (October 15th).

キャロットタワー 15階/153.14坪。officee

【全仲介手数料無料】キャロットタワー(世田谷区太子堂4-1-1)15階153.14坪の賃貸オフィス・事務所情報です。現地取材による物件写真、設備詳細、入居テナント情報も充実。

There are lots of photos of their (now empty) office here. It seems most were taken before a renovation in 2014.

キャロットタワー22階137.44坪(世田谷区太子堂)の空室・賃料情報 | 貸事務所ドットコム東京

キャロットタワー賃貸事務所のテナント募集情報です。貸事務所.com東京のキャロットタワーの紹介詳細ページは、豊富な写真と区画図面、募集条件、設備等の詳細情報が満載です!

I asked my staff for research, and Game Freak have been there since 2007 it seems. Before that, they were in Shimokitazawa.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna missed the themed rooms, unless they recreate that in their new studio

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
being able to look at the links on my desktop, it looks like they did, in fact, keep the themed rooms. nice