• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
as per title, GF is moving to Kanda-Nishikicho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, where Nintendo is consolidating their Tokyo offices. previous location is the Carrot Tower at Taishido, Setagaya-ku, Tokyo.

if anyone can provide a translation and/or access to this paid source, I'll update accordingly

Nintendo's location
Nintendo_Tokyo_Office_Consolidation.png

props to oracion

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I wonder if more of Nintendos important studios will follow suit. Would only make sense tbh.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
Well this is interesting. Wonder if that will give them more access to other Nintendo Dev resources since they are all together.

slsk

Oct 27, 2017
I am not about others, but I would be sad. How many individuals will lose there job because they don't want to relocate?
I doubt that anyone will not want to relocate since the consolidation is of other Tokyo locations and the PT in Tokyo can get you anywhere around the city relatively efficiently.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So what are the potential benefits of Nintendo doing this? In general not just for Gamefreak

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Do they need help moving all those heavy Pokémon statues?

It would be a shame to leave them abandoned in the old building.

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
I wonder if MonolithSoft will move as well since they have three/four offices currently, and consolidating them would improve a lot the workflow...

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, so is Intelligent Systems and they were housed in Nintendo's HQ before getting their own building
I mean, Intelligent Systems have always been a 1st-party, just not on their business card. Game Freak on the other hand aren't, well not since they started non-Nintendo development again a few years ago. Which was weird as it was 14 years since their last which was Click Medic on PS1 back in 1999. Basically after Gold and Silver that same year, they went full exclusive for those 14 years before releasing Pocket Card Jockey on mobile, and more significantly Tembo on everything BUT Nintendo hardware in 2015.

... yeah.

So why would they consolidate with Nintendo if they're still officially and clearly functionally 3rd-party, unless Nintendo FINALLY popped the question to them?

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
This is smart business. Though it's not as drastic of a relocation as Sega Sammy, they had a whole new building created for their consolidation of brands.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
This is expected. Between the expansion pass and Gen 8 having this certain...aura surrounding it like Nintendo had some more influence than usual I assumed that going forward Gamefreak would likely have more access to internal resources and lo and behold they are now in spitting distance.

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Intelligent Systems have always been a 1st-party, just not on their business card. Game Freak on the other hand aren't, well not since they started non-Nintendo development again a few years ago. Which was weird as it was 14 years since their last which was Click Medic on PS1 back in 1999. Basically after Gold and Silver that same year, they went full exclusive for those 14 years before releasing Pocket Card Jockey on mobile, and more significantly Tembo on everything BUT Nintendo hardware in 2015.

... yeah.

So why would they consolidate with Nintendo if they're still officially and clearly functionally 3rd-party, unless Nintendo FINALLY popped the question to them?
Game Freak has been spending the last year or so touting their independence. as if they were miffed people thought they were owned by Nintendo. this doesn't seem to be the same situation as Intelligent Systems though, since GF and Nintendo, at best, would be neighbors in the same building. they'll probably get access to more resources and oversight from Nintendo, but they'll still do their own thing

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
don't think so since they've just rented another office that they're filling
Do we know if this new office will consolidate some of the other offices they have, or this is a whole new split of the staff? At some point they'll have to consider to rent/buy a bigger place and reunite most of the employees disseminated around Tokyo lol.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Do we know if this new office will consolidate some of the other offices they have, or this is a whole new split of the staff? At some point they'll have to consider to rent/buy a bigger place and reunite most of the employees disseminated around Tokyo lol.

It states it is consolidating the 4 Tokyo offices (2 development related I believe), and part of their group companies (subsidiaries, affiliates, funded contractors?)

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
This is expected. Between the expansion pass and Gen 8 having this certain...aura surrounding it like Nintendo had some more influence than usual I assumed that going forward Gamefreak would likely have more access to internal resources and lo and behold they are now in spitting distance.
That's kind of the feeling I got, at least regarding the DLC. Game Freak having more assistance from Nintendo EPD can only lead to good things. I'm sure the last thing any of us want us another half-baked mainline Pokémon game. If moving closer to EPD Tokyo can allow for Game Freak to get more help easier, I'm game.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
off-topic, but do japanese websites generally look very simple and dated? i'm only familiar with stuff like media create and other random sites since i don't know the language, but i often notice this.

i don't necessary dislike it, it can look nice and clean. but it also reminds me of the 90s.

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the Monolith Tokyo branch? no, it's just another building to space more staff

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
A Nikkei report on January 31 also revealed that Game Freak is moving to Kanda Square, the same building as Nintendo's new Tokyo office. This has led to speculation that Game Freak could be acquired by Nintendo in the near future, hence the move to the same building. Keep in mind this could all be just a coincidence.

Seems like Game Freak is moving into the same building as other Nintendo first-party studios there, the 8th, 20th, and 21th floor of the new Tokyo office building. The place would be called the Nintendo Gallery. (Garuubi)

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Consolidation will begin and the building will be called the NSA building.

Nintendo Software Association.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We can only hope that this is real and will have some beneficial effect on GF's work. I'm gonna wait for some actual confirmation before getting my hopes up though.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
I get that the Expansion Pass and the Pokemon Home subscription is very similar to Nintendo's current strategy in other games, but what Aura do you mean?
Pokemon had Problems ever since they switched to 3D models and the Switch to HD on Switch just made it worse.
I think Pokemon had a weird Aura since then already, it didn't start with Sword and Shield.
(Sun and Moon are still the best mainline games of the last few years)