• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
www.siliconera.com

Namcot Collection Revives Classic Famicom Games on Nintendo Switch

Namcot Collection is set to bring back classic Famicom games to the latest Nintendo system, including Game Freak's first game, Quinty.

Yeah this was tucked into a montage in the JP Direct. BN is bringing a collection of NES games to Switch in Japan, and among them is quite frankly a BIG deal; Game Freak (by Satoshi Tajiri himself no less)'s debut game, Quinty.

And apparently this was NEVER ported since its debut release on the NES (well, Famicom is you want to get technical).

Other games include the usual Pac-Man and Galaga (kind of pointless as both IIRC are in Namco Museum as their original arcade releases). Plus Wagan Land, Family Jockey, Youkai Douchuuki, Star Luster, Tower of Daruga, Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti, and Dragon Spirit. I would assume others are also coming as you can see a pretty packed shelf for the cool looking menu.

Thoughts?

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Quinty came out on Wii U Virtual Console in Japan, this isn't the first re-release.

Neat game, though.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
One of the enemies from this game is actually in the data of Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire, with a new color scheme.

It's always been my theory that this enemy was this inspiration for the design of the Pokemon Makuhita, as the latter looks similar to this enemy and both are sumo wrestlers. The sprite of the enemy in the data even has a new yellow color scheme like Makuhita too.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
One of the enemies from this game is actually in the data of Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire, with a new color scheme.

It's always been my theory that this enemy was this inspiration for the design of the Pokemon Makuhita, as the latter looks similar to this enemy and both are sumo wrestlers. The sprite of the enemy in the data even has a new yellow color scheme like Makuhita too.
Pics? First I heard of this.

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, but the issue is they're planning multiple sets of DLC games and it seems they'll probably put out a different retail version for each bundle, which is... not optimal.

True, but at least they're cheap. Usually, collections are near full price in Japan. So, $25 for splatterhouse famicom? I'm in.

Question is, if they'll expand beyond Famicom for this series? For example, the Mega Drive versions of Splatterhouse 2 and 3 would qualify...

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
True, but at least they're cheap. Usually, collections are near full price in Japan. So, $25 for splatterhouse famicom? I'm in.

Question is, if they'll expand beyond Famicom for this series? For example, the Mega Drive versions of Splatterhouse 2 and 3 would qualify...

My guess is probably not, at least not for the three packs they seem to be teasing right now. Famicom alone gives them around 80 games to choose from.