• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Dan was pleased as punch anytime he landed an axe throw lmao.

It's also made me want to try it, looked like a lot of fun.

OP
OP
Professor Beef

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I HAD to gif that ending

bXEX0wr.gif

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, I didn't know Dan had a concealed carry license. How long has he been hiding those guns? 👀💦

Carly was awesome. She really knew how to play off Dan and Not Dan. Shame this'll be the only time we see her. Fun episode. Ten Minute Power Hour gives me life every week.
I just watched UpUpDownDown's axe throwing tournament before the Power Hour, and Carly was great there too, very charming. It must be a lot of fun working there.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Geeze, guys. They're literally arguing about Raphael being called the leader of the TMNT in the song being wrong.

Which they had an argument about literally 3 years ago...

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i finally watched all of sonic unleashed and my god the fucking sonic's harem fan fiction. it was amazing. I also rewatched Sonic Boom since it's so good.

I feel that even though i hate sonic games, I want to write bad sonic slash fiction

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
They also played the same game twice, answering the same questions and didn't realize it.
Which game was that? I remember there being another time they had the same conversation from years ago, can't remember what it was now. At least they notice they have a bit of a habit of doing that lol.

Also the "yep that's me" part of Guts and Glory was great.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Which game was that? I remember there being another time they had the same conversation from years ago, can't remember what it was now. At least they notice they have a bit of a habit of doing that lol.

Also the "yep that's me" part of Guts and Glory was great.
Million Dollar Pyramid. Dan even mentions how he thinks they've played it before, and Arin said they didn't. But yeah, they have been doing the show for almost 7 years. A few recurring conversations is fine.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Episode 7 of Sonic Boom, which begins with Barry breaking down how glitchy the cutscenes are and ends with Arin melting down about how the game won't tell him where to go next, is maybe the best single episode of the show ever.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Episode 7 of Sonic Boom, which begins with Barry breaking down how glitchy the cutscenes are and ends with Arin melting down about how the game won't tell him where to go next, is maybe the best single episode of the show ever.
the best part of the whole series is when he reaches a moment that requires him to slightly stop and think about what to do, and instead he just immediately resorts to the knuckles glitch. I laugh every time.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
the best part of the whole series is when he reaches a moment that requires him to slightly stop and think about what to do, and instead he just immediately resorts to the knuckles glitch. I laugh every time.

Yeah, the whole series is gold.

Second prize for "best individual episode" goes to part 5 of Ocarina of Time, which begins with Dan talking about REO Speedwagon and ends with the famous "Zelda Crab Dream" bit.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida

Started watching this and I thought it was interesting that Dan addressed that video from a couple of months back where he had himself censored to avoid a "career ender."

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is new~

Less grumps during the weekdays, a more schedule for other things(With 1 grumps episode-Power HOur mondays, Streams tuesdays, animations wednesdays, compilations thursdays, 1 grumps episodes fridays, sat/sun are 2 grumps episodes still).

They also give a good explanation on why they don't do long series anymore, and explain their thoughts behind the changes(basically youtube itself sucks)

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
I wish that the Grump episodes are going to be a bit longer. Like ~20 minutes. But, I imagine they'll be the same length.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is new~

Less grumps during the weekdays, a more schedule for other things(With 1 grumps episode-Power HOur mondays, Streams tuesdays, animations wednesdays, compilations thursdays, 1 grumps episodes fridays, sat/sun are 2 grumps episodes still).

They also give a good explanation on why they don't do long series anymore, and explain their thoughts behind the changes(basically youtube itself sucks)

Just watched the video. Your explanation gave me the impression that they were only doing Grumps episode on Friday/Sat/Sun which I thought that can't be right lol.

My main draw for Grumps has always been the Grumps episodes so it's kinda sad having fewer episodes per week but I understand why that is. I need to start watching their streams, but I dunno, I can't get myself to get into it. It seems like it's a different atmosphere, where as in Grumps episode is two friends chilling while playing some games while the streams gave me the impression they are more aware of the audience and trying to always be engaged with them (audience). It's a different atmosphere for me, I dunno, just gotta get into it I guess.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It seems like it's a different atmosphere, where as in Grumps episode is two friends chilling while playing some games while the streams gave me the impression they are more aware of the audience and trying to always be engaged with them (audience).

It is pretty much that. I like the streams, but I don't pay nearly as much attention to a stream I have playing in the background than I do a solid 10-15 minute episode with a clear end. I pay as much to a stream as Arin does to Skyward Sword's sailcloth. Plus you have people that aren't Arin and Dan and, sorry to everyone else there at GG, not Arin and Dan can be pretty dull.

I rarely watch live and spread it out the archived stream across a couple of days. It's nowhere as engaging and halting gameplay to do donation shout outs has me fast-forwarding more than I'd like. Fine to take chat questions but outside of that who cares how much money people donate?

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is pretty much that. I like the streams, but I don't pay nearly as much attention to a stream I have playing in the background than I do a solid 10-15 minute episode with a clear end. I pay as much to a stream as Arin does to Skyward Sword's sailcloth. Plus you have people that aren't Arin and Dan and, sorry to everyone else there at GG, not Arin and Dan can be pretty dull.

I rarely watch live and spread it out the archived stream across a couple of days. It's nowhere as engaging and halting gameplay to do donation shout outs has me fast-forwarding more than I'd like. Fine to take chat questions but outside of that who cares how much money people donate?
Yeah, I guess the best thing that comes from these streams is that they are able to take on longer games without getting hit on the viewership/money, so there's that. Aside from that, I share everything from what you said. It's really jarring going from standard Grumps episodes to the streams, it's a different atmosphere from the casual Grumps. I don't mind having other people on the streams, but like you said, some of them can get pretty boring, it's not really anyone's fault though, Arin and Dan have developed insane chemistry off each other in the Grumps sessions, the streams naturally interrupted that chemistry with the constant audience interactions and other members joining in on the stream.

I understand that streaming can get you shitton of money compared to Youtube videos, and that in the end, it's a business, but I'm worried that my main draw of the channel - uninterrupted Arin and Dan gameplay - might go away.

Last edited:

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
The lack of time explanation is odd. Not saying they don't do stuff but they record a couple days for like a month of content. Editing, Animations and complications aren't done by them either. Not a fan of the streaming stuff, I don't like the format and don't have the time for it.
Considering they've recently added a third ad break and now drop games like crazy they seem to be chasing the money and maybe that would explain needing more time as they need more recording sessions because they don't know what will stick or turn a profit. It pushes grumps a step closer to the type of creators who play games they don't care for as long as it's profitable, like the mine craft and happy wheels stuff back in the day. If YouTube wasn't so shit with how they handle creators content this would be less an issue but YouTube will YouTube.
I could see the grumps office being a bit hard to sustain too. It's a pretty big space and they've brought in a lot of people fairly quickly.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
many creators who want to keep creating their regular content without any major effect have turned to Patreon. I can't foresee a reason why they wouldnt have attempted this unless they think streaming is much more profitable. You dont even need to do much for the patreon, just have a few patreon exclusive things such as pictures, maybe a short live stream by one of the team members, chance to vote on things, etc...

have they ever given a reason for not going this route? At least not that I can find. I am saddened to hear theres an actual reason they dont wanna do long series anymore. I think their best content tends to come from them.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I'm okay with the news. I've actually been a bit worried that they've been overdoing it! Its important to take care of yourself.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Sad to hear about the situation with YouTube, it explains a lot, but whatever they have to do keep Game Grumps going I'm fine with it. One episode every weekday and two at the weekends sounds fine to me.

Also can't wait to hear the new Starbomb album.

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It makes sense why they do the one offs because if Youtube really changed their algorithm, then that really affects their metrics and discoverability. Especially for a channel that probably wants to grow and expand even more.

They could do patreon but I feel thatd be a last ditch effort, because I doubt theyd wanna alienate current people with a patreon. I also dont see them opening a patreon; donations/youtube subs during streaming is one thing. Theyd probably rather sell merch than have someone sign up on a patreon.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
The long streams they do pretty much make up for not having a second episode every day. You're just getting it all at once.

Save the episodes for smaller games they can finish with quickly. Longer games can be concentrated on in a more relaxed streaming session. I just watched the latest Zelda stream. It's fun having everyone in the office coming and going and commenting. Arin was right, if they'd been still doing Zelda as single episodes that boss fight would have taken so many episodes.

They change things up all the time to stay fresh so this is a nice change.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It makes sense why they do the one offs because if Youtube really changed their algorithm, then that really affects their metrics and discoverability. Especially for a channel that probably wants to grow and expand even more.

They could do patreon but I feel thatd be a last ditch effort, because I doubt theyd wanna alienate current people with a patreon. I also dont see them opening a patreon; donations/youtube subs during streaming is one thing. Theyd probably rather sell merch than have someone sign up on a patreon.
the creators I've seen who go to Patreon haven't really alienated their audience though. Many audiences understand that youtube cannot maintain creators as it used to.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that Dan was afraid of disclosing this because of harassment is really sad. Hopefully the bad part of the community will get the message and leave her alone. I'm really happy for both of them, they look really cute together!

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

This week's Animated is great. Doodle Date was such a trip

Also hilarious, today's Guts and Glory
"Arin's pressing buttons, is today the day he finds to boost button?"
*scrolls down to comments*
Lol no

Last edited:

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I've seen some people wonder if she's the same Ashley from the Bruno Mars story. That article still baffles me.