• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
So they're playing the new Double Switch HD anniversary rerelease and here I am with my original still mint in box and sealed SegaCD copy.

DwxYt4PWwAAKZhF.jpg:large

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good for people who like collectibles, but man I don't know how anybody can collect all of these toys without going insane. They're always making new shit and you need space for them.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
This is my favourite thing they've played in a while. I'm guessing the image quality wasn't this good back on the Sega CD, though? lol
Haven't opened my copy but if it's anything like every single other SegaCD FMV game I have and have popped in my console, yeah, it's not gonna be that good quality. This version looks great though. It's neat that they still have all the raw footage to remaster it with. Because you wouldn't get anything useful off a SegaCD game. (Super low resolution 16 color low frame rate video files ain't gonna upscale that well.)

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good for people who like collectibles, but man I don't know how anybody can collect all of these toys without going insane. They're always making new shit and you need space for them.

For as much as I said earlier that I wanted them, this is why I ultimately didn't bite. Also, I realized I'd be sad if I didn't get ones that I wanted, and then I'd want to buy more and more, and it's $25 for three pins.

That's a rabbit hole I don't need to go down.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For as much as I said earlier that I wanted them, this is why I ultimately didn't bite. Also, I realized I'd be sad if I didn't get ones that I wanted, and then I'd want to buy more and more, and it's $25 for three pins.

That's a rabbit hole I don't need to go down.
Lootboxes really did find the correct approach to just push folks to buy more. Copy the trading card game booster pack model lmao.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Haven't opened my copy but if it's anything like every single other SegaCD FMV game I have and have popped in my console, yeah, it's not gonna be that good quality. This version looks great though. It's neat that they still have all the raw footage to remaster it with. Because you wouldn't get anything useful off a SegaCD game. (Super low resolution 16 color low frame rate video files ain't gonna upscale that well.)
It's making me want to get the PS4 version, along with Night Trap. I'm up for some goofy fun.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
It's making me want to get the PS4 version, along with Night Trap. I'm up for some goofy fun.
I don't really get into nor understand how to wrap my head around these FMV multiple security camera games. Especially Five Nights at Freddy's which is basically the same thing except without the FMV. (Though it'd be a lot more interesting to watch if it did have FMV.)

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I don't really get into nor understand how to wrap my head around these FMV multiple security camera games. Especially Five Nights at Freddy's which is basically the same thing except without the FMV. (Though it'd be a lot more interesting to watch if it did have FMV.)
I just don't understand how people beat them without a guide, like Dan said lol

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Trial and Error. I was surprised Dan said that since he's used to the text parser versions of Sierra games that were pure trial and error.

BTW I want to add that Dan playing old Sierra games alone is pure sleep fodder. It's like whale song on how relaxing it is.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am so goddamn invested in them finishing Double Switch now.

Honestly, if they could play old Sega CD FMV games forever, I would be totally happy.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I am so goddamn invested in them finishing Double Switch now.

Honestly, if they could play old Sega CD FMV games forever, I would be totally happy.
If companies keep porting those old games to modern consoles then we'll be set. It's so weird that this is a genre that has somehow made a "comeback" over 20 years later when for all intents and purposes it should have (rightly) been left to the sands of time to be forgotten forever.

I guess as long as the original video sources still exist we'll keep getting them from time to time.

Where's my HD port of INXS Make My Video, people!? (Yes I also own that one in box. No it's not still sealed. And yes, I have tested it.)

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I saw that one when it came out, but I realized I missed the weight loss product episode from last week. The ab zapper at the end killed me.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
HOW? HOW DID THEY GET WEIRD AL!?

They were talking about how they'd love to have him on. How did they meet? Wow. I hope they did a few episodes with him like Greyworm and Finn.

Edit: I can't believe they're having so much trouble with this Meghan Trainor one. It's BY! BY! The song is BY Meghan Trainor! Hahaha

O BITE ME IM MEGHAN TRAINOR

Last edited:

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
So, that was pretty great. Also dang I would have loved to hear some more casual chat beyond what was happening in the game. Did Al give some great advice to Danny on how to keep mixing together comedy and music as a career?

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man I really liked the Donut County episode. I hope they finish that one. (They said they would, but the episode title on the video makes it seem like a one-off.)

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Am I the only one who feels like the daily Grump episodes have been lacking something? Like, Power Hour is still fantastic, I loved the Weird Al episodes. But it feels like a spark is missing, or something.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Am I the only one who feels like the daily Grump episodes have been lacking something? Like, Power Hour is still fantastic, I loved the Weird Al episodes. But it feels like a spark is missing, or something.

2019 game grumps sucks. They're focusing more one quick one offs and won't be doing longer games anymore as YouTube doesn't surface series as well. Thats why I think spark is missing because they don't seem as invested in what they're playing and just pumping out bargain bin content. The live streams are not the same either. Even the editing is a lot more straight, matt and Ryan don't interject much anymore even when getting called out.

I used to watch nearly everything they put out and would check in daily. Now I find myself skipping days or certain content altogether. The comments aren't toxic yet but you see more and more people asking them to play certain games or continue a series but they won't with this format. Curious what their analytics are like post change.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
2019 game grumps sucks. They're focusing more one quick one offs and won't be doing longer games anymore as YouTube doesn't surface series as well. Thats why I think spark is missing because they don't seem as invested in what they're playing and just pumping out bargain bin content. The live streams are not the same either. Even the editing is a lot more straight, matt and Ryan don't interject much anymore even when getting called out.

I used to watch nearly everything they put out and would check in daily. Now I find myself skipping days or certain content altogether. The comments aren't toxic yet but you see more and more people asking them to play certain games or continue a series but they won't with this format. Curious what their analytics are like post change.
I understand they can't do longer series anymore. Which is fine. I just wish they'd get into the games a bit more. Like, it seemed they enjoyed Psycho Waluigi and it could have made a decent 3-4 episode series. Instead they do Tiny Bird Garden and Barbie's Horse Adventures, and Arin and Dan both sound like they don't really care.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I understand they can't do longer series anymore. Which is fine. I just wish they'd get into the games a bit more. Like, it seemed they enjoyed Psycho Waluigi and it could have made a decent 3-4 episode series. Instead they do Tiny Bird Garden and Barbie's Horse Adventures, and Arin and Dan both sound like they don't really care.

Tiny bird is the type of game they'd rip into if Arin wasn't plugging it. I think this is the type of content to expect with this format as they're not willing to commit to anything in fear it wont perform to their youtube profit standards. Youtube is constantly screwing around with things and I think they should have kept going with quality content and ridden it out. If they're not financially sound unless every video is 500k+ views then maybe they need to reevaluate running the grumps office like a business instead of a creator hangout.

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like they'd be able to do a series and gain alright views, but that would mean scaling down on their current operations and it'd probably mean letting people go, which I know Arin wouldn't wanna do(I remember him talking about how the whole reason he made Game Grumps into a business was so that the people who worked on it could make it into a job and not a side deal?).

It's a pain that they have to deal with the algorithm. Hopefully their forays into other things remain successful.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
He's mentioned that for the editors but also that the grump space is a place for upcoming creators to get a foot in and grow their brand into a job when it can be tough at first, especially financially. His intentions are good but he's brought too many people in too quickly and it's putting strain on the whole thing. Running a business requires restraint and sometimes tough decisions and I think they need to downsize or/and send off those who have grown enough to be stable on their own instead of trying to stuff as many couches as possible in the space.
It felt like Arin hit a breaking point around holloween and this new schedule is his attempt at a bandage fix instead of dealing with the problems.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
The thing is all the other people I watch have long running series themselves and they don't seem to have problems. Some of them do Patreon though so I guess that helps. Do the Grumps not do Patreon? The Beard Bros alternate like 3 long games a week. ProJared seems to do one game at a time for a long time until he finishes it. PB and Jeff occasionally do long games but will break it up by taking breaks from it from time to time and filling it in with other long games and some scattered shorter games.

What they should do is not stop doing long games on the channel but start long games on the channel, run them for a few episodes, then if they decide to continue, then move it to streams. From time to time do one week where it's 5 episodes of a new long game and at the end of the fifth episode they ask viewers if they should continue if they're enjoying it and then move it to a stream.

Edit: I see they're doing NSMBU Deluxe now. Can we expect the same thing as last time they played it? I really want to see them enjoy and play the game but Arin always seems to complain about the NSMB series as being too plain and derivitive. But U is like the best of them, but didn't they play it way back in the day when they still had other people with them? And they dropped it fast. So how long are they even going to play this one? I can't watch it yet until after work tonight. Is it even a game they could move to streams? Would people care about them finishing it? Or is it just a filler series?

What I want to see is them playing PikuRiku. SuperMega played it and it was hilarious. But the 2-player is short. Super short. Only 9 levels. So I'd want them to do both the 2-player mode and the single-player mode. I can see them having a lot of fun with it.

Last edited:

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
they should do is not stop doing long games on the channel but start long games on the channel, run them for a few episodes, then if they decide to continue, then move it to streams. From time to time do one week where it's 5 episodes of a new long game and at the end of the fifth episode they ask viewers if they should continue if they're enjoying it and then move it to a stream.

Edit: I see they're doing NSMBU Deluxe now. Can we expect the same thing as last time they played it? I really want to see them enjoy and play the game but Arin always seems to complain about the NSMB series as being too plain and derivative. But U is like the best of them, but didn't they play it way back in the day when they still had other people with them? And they dropped it fast. So how long are they even going to play this one? I can't watch it yet until after work tonight. Is it even a game they could move to streams? Would people care about them finishing it? Or is it just a filler series?

Arin didn't shit on the new series in this episode but he's doing his cheese routine. I see them doing three episodes and shelving the game unless it does really well in which case they might do another session for a total of six or seven episodes. I personally like the piece meal youtube content. Episodes are short enough to fit in my day and they're entertaining. The streams lack the grumps vibe and are kind of dull. If I wanted to watch twitch streams, id go to twitch.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There definitely is a drop the past year. There's some highlights, certainly (Detroit) but it seems it's not ran very well. Matt and Ryan have, many times, screwed up uploads, Dan and Arin seem less engaged and just rolling through the motions and I don't see how cutting down to one episode a day is going to help that because they still have to play the games, it just helps extend it not change their lack of engagement and not make Matt and Ryan stop uploading wrong episodes or forgetting to check the audio input.

I don't know what's going on behind the scenes professionally and personally with everyone there, or even who is really there anymore (apparently Ross just hangs around now? Not sure if Brent is still managing everything. Not sure where Brian is these days etc...) and I'm sure Youtube has fucked with creators enough to put more strain on them, but I really get a sense that nobody there know exactly what direction they want to go in.

I'll always support Grumps in whatever they do, but I also have to be vocal in hopes they can right the ship somehow.

Side note: Did they finish Skyward Sword? I had to stop watching the stream and I've been waiting for the upload but it seems they've forgotten to put it up.

Side note to that side note: they really need to readjust how they do streams. Way too unfocused and Dan spending 10 minutes reading donations is another form of lack of engagement and just finding a cheap way to fill time. I've officially gone to the "fast forward to when they start actually talking" part of watching it.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I clicked into episode 2 of the New Super Mario Bros U playthrough and was genuinely surprised to see that Arin wasn't playing as Toadette.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Last year had some good Grump series/moments. Majora's Mask and Arin's frustration, Ice Hockey's double return, the Super Mega guest episodes were all great, and stuff Doki Doki's twist. The thing with the Grumps, over other YTers, is that they seem to be making GG into a general brand and not just YT content. Dan has NSP and Arin has his touring company. Plus with stuff like the Arpeegee pins and the Gyaru merch, they are trying to broaden their stuff.

That said, it's pretty obvious when they seem to "phone" in episodes now and aren't playing games they want or grow to like.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Arin didn't shit on the new series in this episode but he's doing his cheese routine. I see them doing three episodes and shelving the game unless it does really well in which case they might do another session for a total of six or seven episodes. I personally like the piece meal youtube content. Episodes are short enough to fit in my day and they're entertaining. The streams lack the grumps vibe and are kind of dull. If I wanted to watch twitch streams, id go to twitch.
I've just watched the episodes. It seems like he likes the game. But am I wrong? I seem to remember them playing the game on the Wii U and he didn't like it? Or did he just not like the Wii version?

Also, off topic side note: Is there anything new in this game that the Wii U versions (Both together) don't have? Aside from being able to pick Luigi in a single-player game which fucking should have been there from the start but it's not worth $60 to me. I already own both games.