Game Industry Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I'm up for anything that makes the site bigger and this sounds like it will help.

Could be interesting depending how engaging/honest the peeps are in answering questions.

ZhugeEX

诸葛亮 - 卧龙
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
", and there may be restrictions on what questions are allowed to be asked: such as questions pertaining only to a specific game."

So after a handful of maybe cool ones these will just be the sane marketing tour junk you can find anywhere else with hard questions weeded out? Why bother at that point tbh.
It's more so we don't have 1000 people ask why a developer hasn't released [insert highly anticipated but unannounced game/sequel] yet.

shinobi602

Newman
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
", and there may be restrictions on what questions are allowed to be asked: such as questions pertaining only to a specific game."

So after a handful of maybe cool ones these will just be the sane marketing tour junk you can find anywhere else with hard questions weeded out? Why bother at that point tbh.
That’s not what it means at all. Genuine constructive questions with merit will not be turned away. They obviously have to go through a verification process so there aren’t dozens of generic “Where’s X game!?” , “Why did you guys destroy Y series?” questions or potentially inflammatory remarks.

Oct 24, 2017
It's more so we don't have 1000 people ask why a developer hasn't released [insert highly anticipated but unannounced game/sequel] yet.
This.

A live Q&A would lead to 100's of duplicate questions, drive-by posts, and console-warrior shennanigans.

Live Q&A threads would also move too fast. Which makes it difficult for game industry professionals to properly answer each question with thoughtful, detailed responses.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I love this idea so much. Something like this never even occurred to me, but it sounds incredible. Just more evidence to the fact the team running this site is better than we could have ever imagined.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Is there a restriction on how big/small the dev is?
My question, as well. It'd be nice to have indies be a major part of this equation, as there are some details that would be very helpful to both the consumer and to those who may wish to follow in their example one day. I know I'd have a lot of pertinent questions for them.

Oct 25, 2017
A good idea.

If I could ever so slightly nudge you in the direction of games industry types or developers outside the continental US as well, they would most likely be as receptive to this.

Oftentimes, be it a traditional 'AAA' release or otherwise, if a game's staggered launch somehow skipped the US first, then it wouldn't be until that game came out in America did most websites actually start talking about it.

BitByDeath

User banned at own request
Oct 27, 2017
This.

A live Q&A would lead to 100's of duplicate questions, drive-by posts, and console-warrior shennanigans.

Live Q&A threads would also move too fast. Which makes it difficult for game industry professionals to properly answer each question with thoughtful, detailed responses.
So hopefully prior to questions being asked we get a small overview of who they are, where they are located, a selection of what they’ve worked on previously and what they are working on currently with a few pics if possible .

Should help to ask questions for smaller devs.

Oct 27, 2017
Japan
I love this because generally, by the time I find out about an interesting AMA, it is over and too late.

So having a heads up and submitting questions before hand is quite exciting.

OP
OP
SweetNicole

SweetNicole

Community Manager
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
By community manager what do you mean? Id love to ask Geoff or any of EasyA some questions about how they feel the content creator aspect of the industry is doing and so on
They are free to reach out. The program is in its planning/infancy currently, and we are floating this out to see how much interest there is not only from our members but the game industry as well.

Shin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nicole and I are currently developing an idea where Resetera members can submit questions to game industry professionals.
Why?
This forum software has a Q&A you can enable through ACP, you could create a seperate section on the main index for it.
Make so only industry people can start a question/thread and users can answer/ask there with someone moderating it properly.
It's a threaded look like Reddit/4CH and what's not, pretty easy to use with up/down vote and all.

Rez

Oct 25, 2017
admire the effort, but part of the appeal of a place like this is that there isn't a PR-protected border between developers and the community -- I question the function of a program like this when the message board itself is already the mechanism for q&a

Oct 25, 2017
I can see this working well if it's handled like the anonymous confessions thread. Just don't let it get too deep into marketing and things'll work out.

admire the effort, but part of the appeal of a place like this is that there isn't a PR-protected border between developers and the community -- I question the function of a program like this when the message board itself is already the mechanism for q&a
This is more low pressure. And it doesn't stop the developers from posting in other threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.