Game Industry Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.
", and there may be restrictions on what questions are allowed to be asked: such as questions pertaining only to a specific game."

So after a handful of maybe cool ones these will just be the sane marketing tour junk you can find anywhere else with hard questions weeded out? Why bother at that point tbh.
There's naturally going to be a limit on what kind of questions could be answered, but that shouldn't be a surprise. For example, I wouldn't be able to answer anything about the potential future, whatever it may or may not be, of Overwatch. Additionally, many of us have very defined rules when it comes to interacting with fans - for me, I need to always be clear that I only speak for myself, not Blizzard, and would want to be very careful to adhere to my company's policies on public discussion. Rules such as those from companies like ours are there for a very good reason. : )

Oct 25, 2017
This has been needed for awhile now. Its no secret the relationship between fans and developers in a lot of ways has gotten toxic and I largely believe it is from a lack of understanding as to what the actual struggles and real adult problems are that go into the development of a game. Not to belittle real criticism where it is present because that is always welcome, but it seems many are far to eager to point out the things they hate and not the things they love thus making the exchange of thoughts often toxic. I feel if there are more Q&A's folks will learn more about just how much time and money goes into even the most basic of game elements sometimes and it'll help make gamers more informed in their ideas over what is something that is a real criticism or something that is just unrealistic nipticking that sometimes shuts down developers from listening to them further. Plus for the developers it would help them to hopefully find out which elements folks not only have issues with but which design choices to further emphasize as they hear what was liked the most by their fans.

Great idea mods. Opening a regular means of communication in a controlled environment between developers and gamers is a big step forward this industry needs to help improve relationships and feedback between the players and the developers.

Oct 25, 2017
Why?
This forum software has a Q&A you can enable through ACP, you could create a seperate section on the main index for it.
Make so only industry people can start a question/thread and users can answer/ask there with someone moderating it properly.
It's a threaded look like Reddit/4CH and what's not, pretty easy to use with up/down vote and all.
Xenforo by default doesn't have this functionality as far as I'm aware. There is a plugin that allows for this though. Debatable whether it is worth the price when a delayed Q&A type system seems reasonable enough.

Oct 26, 2017
This has been needed for awhile now. Its no secret the relationship between fans and developers in a lot of ways has gotten toxic and I largely believe it is from a lack of understanding as to what the actual struggles and real adult problems are that go into the development of a game. Not to belittle real criticism where it is present because that is always welcome, but it seems many are far to eager to point out the things they hate and not the things they love thus making the exchange of thoughts often toxic. I feel if there are more Q&A's folks will learn more about just how much time and money goes into even the most basic of game elements sometimes and it'll help make gamers more informed in their ideas over what is something that is a real criticism or something that is just unrealistic nipticking that sometimes shuts down developers from listening to them further. Plus for the developers it would help them to hopefully find out which elements folks not only have issues with but which design choices to further emphasize as they hear what was liked the most by their fans.

Great idea mods. Opening a regular means of communication in a controlled environment between developers and gamers is a big step forward this industry needs to help improve relationships and feedback between the players and the developers.
I agree with a lot of this, but the reality is that there are a lot of game sites with industry interviews out there---twitter can be a treasure trove of tidbits too---and even with this information there is a community out there who still doesn't understand. Or refuses to. Sadly, there are a lot of people out there who love to critique and judge.

Shin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xenforo by default doesn't have this functionality as far as I'm aware. There is a plugin that allows for this though. Debatable whether it is worth the price when a delayed Q&A type system seems reasonable enough.
Ouch, to be honest I would have gone with IPS it's a complete suite, build in store, blog (good for Shinobi) and everything.
Plus it's more pleasant to the eye, I thought XenForo had caught up by now but I guess I was wrong :S

OT: users could submit question to X and Z industry person in a dedicated thread and mods/admins can pick out valid ones and ask said industry people.
Then post the answers in the first post or something, it's not really practical without a proper Q&A mechanism.

Oct 25, 2017
admire the effort, but part of the appeal of a place like this is that there isn't a PR-protected border between developers and the community -- I question the function of a program like this when the message board itself is already the mechanism for q&a
This makes sure people don't just dogpile certain questions that get asked over and over, I trust the people running Reset to allow hard questions without it turning into glorified PR its no surprise that alot of developers are uneasy about answering any questions in an open forum.

Oct 25, 2017
I would really like this idea as a way to learn about things like how do developers intend to support the X, Pro and Switch, how their engine scales across 6 potential platforms, and where they see technology going.

Outside of technology, learning about the creative process and maybe getting devs on to do a post mortem of their game could be amazing.

Oct 25, 2017
Anything that contributes to more literacy and nuanced comprehension with regard to the video game industry and the people involved is a good idea in my book.

Oct 25, 2017
This seems like a great idea. It's not meant to be a replacement for community discussion with developers but just to get some insigiht on certain topics people might have an interest in.

Oct 25, 2017
I’m another person that would just be worried about it becoming a giant PR thing.

I really cant imagine they’d be allowed off their leash enough to say anything of importance.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
So long as tough but fair questions are allowed that's fine by me. Softball questions like those they ask local news/talk shows are pretty much just promotional tours at that point. There has to be a middle ground between community and industry folks that isn't toxic yet productive and constructive at the same time.

Oct 27, 2017
We definitely don't want a Q&A to look like the EA AMA. We need to be able to ask tough (but still fair) questions. This way the questions will be restricted to being asked once, but we aren't just an outlet for PR.

BitByDeath

User banned at own request
Oct 27, 2017
If it goes ahead it’d be great if the initial announcement was made in... well the ‘announcements’ but a new section be made to display the answers so anyone can easily locate and keep track of them.

Oct 25, 2017
My question, as well. It'd be nice to have indies be a major part of this equation, as there are some details that would be very helpful to both the consumer and to those who may wish to follow in their example one day. I know I'd have a lot of pertinent questions for them.
If GAF was any indication, most devs here are going to be indie devs

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully a good chance for education.

The less ignorant “lazy devs!” comments that taint discussion and more understanding why things end up the way they do and how, the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.