Game Industry Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Good idea. But seeing the "F___ company" or "company/product is trash" posts without moderation would make me not want to participate were I working in the industry to support my family. Something to work on.

Also, seeing a videogame journalist on this site telling an industry analyst his assessment of an aspect of the industry is "nonsensical" would tell me that journalists could "camp out in the hall", so to speak, and attempt to use this site's outreach mechanisms in order to elicit comments "on the record". This is outside just reading the interchange between industry professional and the community and turning it into a news article, which I expect will continue. Something to think about.

Oct 27, 2017
Would it be in the realm of even maybe inviting Japanese developers through translation that might not normally do Q&As or press related things to participate due to the delayed nature facilitating that?

OP
OP
SweetNicole

SweetNicole

Community Manager
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Good idea. But seeing the "F___ company" or "company/product is trash" posts without moderation would make me not want to participate were I working in the industry to support my family. Something to work on.
If you see posts like this, please report them. They will likely have action taken against them. Thanks.

Oct 27, 2017
I love this idea. Having direct input from members of the industry always felt special to me in the last place and it would be awesome to have the same here. In a Q&A format works well too, if those industry members are up for it. Not being live even helps to reduce pressure on them I believe.

GHG

Oct 26, 2017
Great stuff.

I think this would also be a good way of getting some smaller interesting indie titles some exposure that they need/deserve while getting some insight into how the studio/game became.

Oct 25, 2017
This makes sure people don't just dogpile certain questions that get asked over and over, I trust the people running Reset to allow hard questions without it turning into glorified PR its no surprise that alot of developers are uneasy about answering any questions in an open forum.
It's less me trusting Reset and more me wondering what new info we'd actually get.

I'd liken it to sports. You could get all different sorts of people to ask say Bill Belichick or Tom Brady questions that range from soft ball to hardcore questions.

Neither are gonna give you any info though, and like most in the NFL coaches and QBs adhere to team speak. It's why some sports talk hosts just don't have those guys on cause you aren't gonna get anything meaningful no matter how tough the ?s are. So why bother?

Like I said this is less of a thing against Reset and more of a are the people from Blizzard, Bungie, Respawn ect... really gonna give us anything meaningful to make this worthwhile for the admins to go through?

Oct 28, 2017
This sounds like exactly what we need.
With film, the general populace has a good general picture of how films are made.
Gaming needs to be in this area already.

Oct 27, 2017
My honest preference would be that there’s a focus on fostering a community that ensures industry professionals want to be part of it and are willing to answer questions in relevant threads without requiring a specific program.

But that’s not to say this won’t be good. Hell, this might lead to that.

I really appreciate the continued effort you guys are putting in.

Oct 27, 2017
You guys may want to float the idea of creating a separate forum profile for any of the game industry people who would like to do this, so they can still post on the forum without getting peppered with questions constantly in any thread. Of course if that particular individual wanted it that way.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Sounds like a great idea. Questions can be submitted by users and then vetted, and passed on to the dev, or publisher. A thread containing answers to those questions could then be posted.

I'd love to ask some questions.

Sir Guts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Great idea! Hopefully more developers joins us here
Can we ask Kamiya questions about his next game till he bans is twitter?
You know, I once asked him about Scalebound before the cancellation and without trolling, he blocked me. Ever since that day I hated this prick :)

Oct 26, 2017
I think moderated delayed Q&A is fine as long as mods make it transparent what questions could not be answered and for what reason. Most global limitations should be defined in the rules ( such as no questions about future products, port-begging, etc) but everything beyond should be done in a most transparent way possible. We are in the new era, after all.

I think moderated delayed Q&A is fine as long as mods make it transparent what questions could not be answered and for what reason. Most global limitations should be defined in the rules ( such as no questions about future products, port-begging, etc) but everything beyond should be done in a most transparent way possible. We are in the new era, after all.
This sounds like a sensible way to go about it.

Q&A threads, if done in the same layout as normal threads, will also be better if answered questions are added into the OP. Even if there is a decent way to search within a thread it will still be better to have updates immediately available upon entering the thread.

Oct 25, 2017
Stop, I can only handle so much awesomeness. Jokes aside, this sounds great and likely to make ResetEra an even better source for gaming news and insights.

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
Looking from the perspective of a gamer, this is awesome.

Looking from the perspective of the industry, I don't really see the point of willfully opening yourself up to criticism, or trying to dance around NDA stuff. Only thing I can think of is this being used is for PR for indie games maybe.

Also, seeing a videogame journalist on this site telling an industry analyst his assessment of an aspect of the industry is "nonsensical" would tell me that journalists could "camp out in the hall", so to speak, and attempt to use this site's outreach mechanisms in order to elicit comments "on the record". This is outside just reading the interchange between industry professional and the community and turning it into a news article, which I expect will continue. Something to think about.
Very good points.

Oct 25, 2017
SWE
whats the benefit for the developer?

Still dont see it. Lots of downsides for them and no upside
For smaller devs it could be a means of exposure and a good way to share insight about the realities of indie development. There are most likely are a couple devs that like the community and simply are interested in questions and sharing some info about their work etc.

I mean, there are already a couple of devs like Jstevenson (Insomniac) in this very thread that has showed interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.