Game Industry Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, ON
Sounds like a cool idea for those who are into this type of information! I've sent an email. I won't be able to talk about current game(s) I'm working on, obviously, but I will do my best to answer general questions and such.

Oct 27, 2017
Northern Ireland
This is actually a good idea, in honesty I've probably been gaming longer than many of the members here have been alive and to be honest I've little knowledge on what goes on behind the scenes. Would be interesting to learn more about what actually goes into making games from people actually in the industry.

MatPiscatella

The NPD Group - Video Game Industry Analyst
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Carlsbad, CA
www.npd.com
whats the benefit for the developer?

Still dont see it. Lots of downsides for them and no upside
Because some people in the industry think it could be insightful, interesting and perhaps even fun?

I’ve learned a lot over the years from the posters in NPD threads. The questions they ask challenge my thinking and viewpoint and make me better.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I'm a game developer (pro for 15 years) and while I can't currently be involved in this project, I think it's an great idea.

How it's handled by the community will define whether games industry folk can reasonably convince employers to let them talk about their current project. If you're willing to talk to people about older games you'll probably get juicier info.

Nov 17, 2017
This sounds great. I'll echo the same sentiment as others in saying I've been gaming for a long time (almost 30 years) but have rarely seen behind the curtain. Focused Q&A sessions sound amazing.

Oct 29, 2017
This is a great idea; something that would not have been possible on the former forum, and a feature that could really foster the sense of community that is budding here. Nice work. Looking forward to hearing more.

Oct 27, 2017
I think this is a wonderful initiative that seeks to actively generate the best moments on the old site that would only happen every so often and organically.

I hope a lot of developers jump at the chance. I have faith in this community to engage in a really positive way.

More great ideas from the round-table ResetEra staff!

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a game developer (pro for 15 years) and while I can't currently be involved in this project, I think it's an great idea.

How it's handled by the community will define whether games industry folk can reasonably convince employers to let them talk about their current project. If you're willing to talk to people about older games you'll probably get juicier info.
an anonymous Q&A would be interesting for situations like yours.

raterpillar

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Really hope Paul Reiche/Fred Ford from Toys for Bob get involved in this - I'd love to pick their brains about Ghosts of the Precursors.

Oct 30, 2017
Interested to hear how the mod team is going to make this idea palatable for individual devs when every other post in gaming side seems to be "fuck these greedy developers."

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
As a very very small developer myself, I'd be eager to join in the discussion and understand better the industry.

Love this idea! I'd love for Sakurai to do a ResetEra AMA!
OMG, don't even get me started on this <3

EDIT: Actually, I have a question about this:
At which point would I be considered a verifiable developer? I mean, I already work in the industry for 5 years but I don't really have anything concrete to show off specially because it's mostly third-party, copyrighted stuff. Do you guys expect only big names to be verified, or anyone with enough experience?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
This is a wonderful idea and another example of how this place is becoming amazing. Love the Verification idea and this is just a natural extension of that.

Well done on this one guys. Awesome idea and I look forward to future threads/potentially super interesting Q&As.

Oct 25, 2017
UK/FR
This is great, but probably like some other devs, can't really do that without having to talk with my employer first.
Interested to see how it evolve and how alternatives could be found for anonymous Q&As or Q&As that aren't about the game a dev is working on.

Status
Not open for further replies.