• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Not totally shocking news but Game Informer editor Imran Khan said the following on the latest Game Informer podcast, linked and embedded below with a time stamp. The group is discussing a future Zelda themed Switch and Ben Hanson predicts the next Zelda game will be a co-op Zelda game by the Triforce Heroes team. Then Imran says:

"I was just thinking what I should say about that. The next Zelda will probably be sooner than we think...I will talk to you guys off camera about stuff." And when asked if it is a game by the Triforce Heroes team and involves co-op, he responds, "Um, not exactly."

https://youtu.be/bfNzM9sIrD4?t=3781

I searched but didn't find a similar thread.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
It's time for a MM-style freaky entry. Like the 3DS game taking after ALttP, a smaller scale insane entry is needed.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean many of us have predicted 2D Zelda is coming next year. It's time for an installment.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a loose spin-off type game or a smaller scale title rather than a fully blown up mainline entry.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
How likely would this person be in the know? Seems like an odd thing to 'tease' without providing any additional context.

I think we all expect another Breath of the Wild style Zelda on Switch and then there's the handheld/2D-team (I think?) so another Zelda could surely drop in 2019/2020.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I thought that there might be something new soon. Hopefully a new 2D game.

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
We rarely get a zelda-less year, and untill now 2018 lacked anything "mainline" zelda. So I'd say 2019 will get a Zelda title for sure.

2017: BoTW
2016: Tri Force Heroes
2016: Twilight Princess HD
2015: Majora's Mask 3DS
2013: Wind Waker HD
2013: A Link Between Worlds
2011: OoT 3DS
2011: Skyward Sword
2011: Four Swords Anniversary

2012 was a notorious Zelda-less year. 2014 had the original Hyrule Warriors to fill the Zelda fix (and 2018 it's switch port).
I expect a smaller game in 2019, and the BoTW sequel in 2020.

Last edited:

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
it's been almost 2 years since BotW was finished (the base game). they should have something already pretty far along that could release in 2020.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm I think a big Zelda botw expansion with a focus on co op makes sense. They would have enough time to make it for a holiday 2019 release.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I noticed the other day that we've had a Zelda-related game release every year since 2013, if you count Hyrule Warriors and the 3DS/HD remakes. I can't see that changing any time soon.

Hoping for a fun Majora's Mask-style riff on Breath of the Wild's core gameplay, but I'd be happy with anything really. Curious when it'd slot in release-wise, though, what with Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime 4, Animal Crossing and Pokémon.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Legend of Zelda: Shrine Maker - Nintendo Switch, 2019

Mario Maker x Breath of the Wild

Like Portal 2's Perpetual Testing Initiative

http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gametactics.com%2Fwp-content%2Fgallery%2Fportal-2-dlc-perpetual-testing-initiative-steam%2Fperpetual-testing-initiative-02.jpg

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Online only, will be different from past zeldas, play with dozens of others in hyrule. "You make the adventure ".

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Probably another remake (skyward or ww,tphd ports?) or 2d game from grezzo. It's not going to be a 3d sequel to BOTW, the games simply take too long to develop for that to be within the next year.

If they built a 2d game using the prototyping software they had for BOTW, that could be pretty cool.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Yeah, since BotW was so well received and came so early in the gen, I assume they'll go the Majora route. Same engine, some reused assets, same mechanics (maybe tweaked a bit) and a relatively quick turnaround. Which would be great since Majora was such an interesting "perversion" of everything that had made Ocarina so brilliant.

Or maybe it's just another 2D Zelda, which I would also be quite happy about.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd expect something closer to A Link Between Worlds for the Switch next year- something of a palate cleanser, rather than another huge sandbox game.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Watch this being an Ocarina of Time -> Majora's Mask situation where the game basically looks the same but the world and story is different. Can't wait for all the "it's not a real game because it's just a BotW reskin" and "it's just BotW DLC" posts and threads.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
BOTW and ALBW are both in my top 3 or 4 Zeldas, so I'm pretty excited for a new entry by either team. I think they've figured out what people want out of the series. Or at least, what I want out of the series is heavily matching up with what they're doing.

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
Link to the Past - Link's awakening
Ocarina of Time - Majora's Mask
Breath of the Wild - Here's hoping

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I'm leaving spin-offs out of this speculation, since this talks seems about regular Zelda games, and that leaves either a MM-style entry with much asset reusing from BotW or something "smaller" like a top-down Zelda game.

Whatever it might be, i hope it's not from the main team and that this main team takes as much time as they need and want for the next mainline game.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I can see a BOTW-based regular Zelda game with a very particular gameplay quirk. I still think a co-op Monster Hunter style Zelda game in the BOTW world would be awesome.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Watch this being an Ocarina of Time -> Majora's Mask situation where the game basically looks the same but the world and story is different. Can't wait for all the "it's not a real game because it's just a BotW reskin" and "it's just BotW DLC" posts and threads.
This will obviously happen, but first the top down Zelda need to happen. We're still waiting for the new one since ALBW.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I called my friend in Kyoto who works the building across the street from the Nintendo headquarter (that part is 100% true) and according to him, the next Zelda is a Labo kit where you built all sorts of troll-physics toy-cons to use in the world of Hyrule.

Oct 31, 2017
There's no way this is a full blown title. If true.
Aonuma mentioned keeping the open air design and reusing the systems they've already put into place. As others have mentioned, in the vein of MM, a quick turn around sequel could definitely be possible.

If I had to be pressed on the timeline of the next few Zeldas, I'd say a 2D announcement next year with an earlier than expected release with a 3D Zelda MM-style sendup in 2020. Then a proper 3D new entry announced and launching with whatever is next in the Switch family a couple years from now that will also be playable on the current Switch. I like dumb speculation so I'm excited to see if I'm even close with this guessing game.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
We rarely get a zelda-less year, and untill now 2018 lacked anything zelda. So I'd say 2019 will get a Zelda title for sure.

2017: BoTW
2016: Tri Force Heroes
2016: Twilight Princess HD
2015: Majora's Mask 3DS
2013: Wind Waker HD
2013: A Link Between Worlds
2011: OoT 3DS
2011: Skyward Sword
2011: Four Swords Anniversary

2012 was a notorious Zelda-less year. 2014 had the original Hyrule Warriors to fill the Zelda fix.
I expect a smaller game in 2019, and the BoTW sequel in 2020.

Skyward Sword HD (motion control still in, but optional with button-based mode for portable gameplay)
OR
Hyrule Warriors 2: seeing how succesfull the first one was and how Koei is on board...

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Hopefully it's a 2D Switch game with Toon Link. They need to keep that series going in parallel to the BotW line.