• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I keep looking at the footage and it doesn't strike me as an Ultimate Alliance game. The gameplay seems more hack-and-slash than a Diablo-like.

I can see why the Game Informer guys would prefer playing with the 'hero cam', because it seems to have been built with that in mind. For instance Daredevil's standard combo carries himself and the enemy across the screen, which makes for dynamic combat when the camera is following your back, but seems hard to read visually when you have a top-down perspective on the action.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Well it is MCU inspired.
giphy.gif

OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Well it is MCU inspired.
I'm we've seen only two environments and mainly the arenas for challenges. We can't say much yet. Also the Writer is on record saying it's an original comics based story with mcu nods to appeal to everyone. The fact everyone has current comic looks and it's classic helmetless Janet Van Dyne Wasp should attest to that

Also I don't think we'll see mcu costumes or at least not explicit ones. If Antman is in it'll likely be Scott Lang as default with his comic version of the movie costume with classic Pym as an alt. An armored Wadp based off the movie is possible too. However most mcu costumes have open faces which require a license for likenesses of faces. So they rarely make base game, however mcu costumes as a preorder bonus/launch window dlc is possibly as it'd be a limited window marketing agreement rather than a long term contract. That's the way I see it.

Oct 26, 2017
They were ahead of their time and their rerelease wasn't worth supporting. A proper MUA with a good budget and good marketing would sell well in the current Marvel dominated environment.
Perhaps it would. The issue is that, unfortunately, not every franchise or series is going to be actively supported by the people behind them as they have limited teams and money so they'll focus on the ones that make the most money or the team is most passionate about making. As gaming went further and further into big AAA titles, I'd imagine something like MUA was perhaps made dormant because it doesn't quite fit in with the current gaming landscape. Even now, we haven't seen many Marvel games on consoles, despite the massive success of the MCU. The good thing is, with the success of Spider-Man PS4 and, likely, with this game and the Avengers game that'll come out at some point, we'll probably see more and more going forward

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
I really remember loving the first one in 2006 or so but I honestly can't find myself interested in this much but who knows.

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
I know I'm asking for too much, but is this all the gameplay Gameinformer has the right to show or can we expect to see more around this month?

Yeah it's definitely that, someone even said on this thread "it looks ugly but it's not surprising", not even subtle lmao

Speaking of subtlety, someone posted "the graphics look very bad" and then edited 5 seconds later to add "nevermind my last comment, just learned this in on Switch". The cynicism of some people around here lmao.

OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I know I'm asking for too much, but is this all the gameplay Gameinformer has the right to show or can we expect to see more around this month?
They have more to show they are stretching it out. Every weekday next week we are getting a character profile with accompanying gameplay

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping this game doesn't have pre-order exclusives like Hyrule Warriors did with some of the costumes.

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017

Speaking of subtlety, someone posted "the graphics look very bad" and then edited 5 seconds later to add "nevermind my last comment, just learned this in on Switch". The cynicism of some people around here lmao.
Next week their will be gameplay of individual characters.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
Can somebody point to the the video of some dev members of the previous game talking about it? i believe some user posted that but i can't find it in this thread

OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
First off with costumes confirmed and especially if Antman is in the game I need the original looks as costumes
detail.jpg

Can somebody point to the the video of some dev members of the previous game talking about it? i believe some user posted that but i can't find it in this thread

My fave part is there is only one character they remember Marvel requesting they put into the game and it was Moon Knight

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017
First off with costumes confirmed and especially if Antman is in the game I need the original looks as costumes
detail.jpg

My fave part is there is only one character they remember Marvel requesting they put into the game and it was Moon Knight

Please give us that golden iron man. I always loved Thor's original look.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
Just watched it on youtube.
I like how it looks overall (had a great time with the first 2 games) the only complain would be how the scenarios feel, they could try and make them more appealing imho...

More X-Men please!

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Hell always be Terry McGinnis to me lol.
Rufus > cranky old man Bruce Wayne. Search your heart, you know it to be true.
It's really funny to think how so many of the fairly minor characters in the original MUA have since become insanely popular film characters. Hell, the Hulk was DLC in the original, the frickin' HULK.
That's a testament to Marvel Studios more than anything else, to be honest. If you had told anyone 12 years ago that the biggest box-office movie of the year would be a three-hour film starring Captain America, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Ant-Man, and a talking raccoon (with Spider-Man relegated to a supporting role), they'd be asking you to list all the drugs you were on.

Oct 25, 2017
I've never played a MUA game but I've been interested for a while so I keep coming back to this thread giving the video more chances to win me over but...it just doesn't look good to me. Visual style reminds me more of sterile mobile gaming than console gaming and nothing about the gameplay is standing out. I'm still hoping a future video changes my mind and shows off more interesting environments. At least I can say the cutscenes look fun, I like those.

looks more MUA2 than MUA (not a good thing)

Having never personally played either, what were the main differences?

NiallGGlynn

Apr 16, 2019
That's a testament to Marvel Studios more than anything else, to be honest. If you had told anyone 12 years ago that the biggest box-office movie of the year would be a three-hour film starring Captain America, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Ant-Man, and a talking raccoon (with Spider-Man relegated to a supporting role), they'd be asking you to list all the drugs you were on.

Oh exactly, only meant it as a compliment. The fact that an Inhuman is a playable character bodes well for more obscure figures too which is great.

OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Oh exactly, only meant it as a compliment. The fact that an Inhuman is a playable character bodes well for more obscure figures too which is great.
I mean Crystal isn't obscure by any means she's been a major player in marvel comics since she first appeared in the pages of the Fantastic Four in the 60's(she and Medusa were the first two to come into play) and she's been on the rosters of both the fantastic four and the Avengers(Lockjaw for that matter was even a pet Avenger).

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Idk, the MUA/XML series is easily my favorite game series of all time. I've sunk countless hours into this series, across multiple platforms, and multiple versions (MUA1 Wii, MUA1 Steam, MUA1 PC with mods, MUA2 PS3/360, MUA2 Steam, and MUA2 Wii, as well as the X-Men Legends games on Gamecube) and after seeing more gameplay of this, I'm not sure about it. I think it will be fun, but to me it doesn't really feel like MUA as much. It looks like a more musou-y version of MUA, or like a toned down version of Marvel Heroes 2015/2016/Omega.

Three things in particular stick out to me that feel very un-MUA (to me, at least):

1). Number of enemies.

Here there seem to be hordes and hordes of enemies that go down in only a few hits. This reminds me of how Marvel Heroes was, in that you had a bunch of small weaklings being thrown at you and then the tougher elite enemies. MUA never really had that approach to enemies. With MUA (and the earlier XML games), it was more about smaller groups of tougher enemies, with there being slightly tougher elites that buffed the other enemies. Not really seeing that here. Enemies seem pretty weak. This is the easier difficulty though, so it could be different on higher difficulties.

2). Lack of impact on hits.

While this game has a lot of flashy effects that clearly try to sell the impact of the various hits, I feel like things feel a lot 'floatier' than MUA/XML ever did. Things just seem to lack impact overall. Not a huge deal, but still something that, to me, sticks out.

3). Lack of the interaction with enemies/environment.

This to me is a huge one, even if it seems small. Being able to grab and throw enemies off ledges, or into each other, or into your teammates (which in the X-Men Legends games got you a special combo called 'Batter Up') was kind of a big part of the gameplay, or at the very least was another option at your disposal. It also added a bit more flair to the characters in that in MUA1, every character had a special and unique 'super' grab move they could perform on the enemy (Luke Cage, Sabertooth, Hulk, and Colossus were the only ones with overlap in their special grabs. Everyone else's was unique; Speaking of Colossus and Hulk, they could pick up other enemies and use them as a weapon, which was awesome). While the PS3/360/PC version of MUA2 dropped the special grabs (though still enabled you to grab and throw enemies), the Wii/PS2/PSP version kept it, which was nice. This interaction with enemies also extended to certain powers, such as Nick Fury's 'Furious' power, where he could grab an enemy and slam them into the ground doing AOE damage, or Doctor Strange's 'Black Magic' power, where he could turn an enemy into a box and throw it at people. There were also the various lunge/tackle powers that Wolverine, Black Panther, Colossus, Hulk, and Venom (in PS3/360/PC MUA2) had, where you could pin enemies to the ground and wail on them.

And of course, let's remember, grabbing and throwing didn't just extend to enemies- it also extended to objects. Being able to throw a car in MUA2 or a giant boulder in MUA1 was incredibly fun, and the less strong characters could still throw crates, boxes, trash cans, barrels, and so forth at enemies, and doing so would cause the enemy to be stunned. Again, it was another option at your disposal.

Then there were the weapons you could grab off of the ground/walls/enemies. Silly though it was, lore-wise, to have Silver Surfer wielding a mace or a sword or, yes, even something as mundane as a steel pipe, it was still a fun thing you could do, and added to the overall craziness/fun of the game. Captain America with sword/shield or mace/shield or spear/shield looked especially badass. PS3/360/Steam MUA2 toned this down a bit, in that you could no longer wield swords/spears/axes/halberds/steel pipes/hammers, but you could still throw enemy grenades, missiles, and debris at people. MUA2 Wii/PS2/PSP did retain the weapons from MUA1 however, and added some new ones like dual swords.

While extra weapons aren't confirmed to not be in the game, I think we would've heard if it was, and there's no indication there's that level of interaction with the environment.

The overall lack of environment interaction and grabbing/throwing in general has me really bummed out, as does only four powers.

And yes, before someone says it, I know there's an Xtreme and a synergy, that still doesn't change the fact that in the original MUA everyone got 4-5 offensive powers, 2-3 boosts, and one extreme, and that in the earlier X-Men Legends 2 they had (around) 4-7 offensive powers, 3 boosts, and two Xtremes (one boost and one offensive), and that this is a step down from that. It's even more frustrating that there are duplicate powers (Iron Man and Captain Marvel's beam moves), given that there are only four.

The game still looks fun, but it looks like it will be more of a mix of a musou game and a toned down Marvel Heroes with some MUA-like elements (four person team, light and heavy attacks, team bonuses). Kinda disappointed, but still holding out hope that it will at least be better than MUA2. It won't beat MUA1 or XML2 I think, but it still has the potential to be pretty good. Seeing the HUD would really make it feel a bit more like an MUA game to me, as the glimpse we got in the Direct made it seem a bit more MUA-like.
To your point about grabbing objects, that always kind of felt out of place in these games to me. Like a character that can shoot beams out of their hands or conjure magic would want to or see benefit in grabbing a club or piece of piping to wack a character with?

Some of the advanced abilities that you describe like with Strange - I'm with you on those types of advanced movesets adding a lot more to the game. But even if it adds gameplay diversity, Iron Man holding a barrel and walking his way to another character is just odd. I'd rather that gameplay diversity be built into the movesets or area hazards/boosts.

I feel the same way about grappling. In fighting games, the combat system has to be built around grappling as a viable option/counter for other mechanics but in ARPGs it's almost always an afterthought that is either OP because enemies can't uniformly counter, or useless against bosses, or it disrupts the flow of gameplay. It's already hard enough to balance grapplers in fighting games that they end up having niche uses in ARPGs, which is bad in co-op when someone is forced to use those characters.

Although this video didn't look that great to me, I'm still waiting for them to show more story stuff.
I hope the game has stages like the fun house and other drastically different stages with variety in environment, going to edges of the world (hell/asgard/atlantis) meeting TONS of characters, having new hubs at iconic comics locations etc.
Damn I loved UA1 so much. I might be biased but looking at old vids of it, it looks better than 3! I really need story mode footage.
The story is based around the six stones being thrown to the edges of the MCU, so I would expect no less.

Undoubtedly they're waiting to show off story locations for another day, which is also why they stuck to the Infinity Trials.

The build they were playing was obviously on the easiest difficulty, and that was done intentionally to showcase some of the character abilities in the game. In some shots in the trailer you notice more active villains. Also, combo abilities have been highlighted ever since the game was revealed, as well and juggling, with the later not being specifically mentioned but noticeable. They've been very explicit about combos, especially when it comes to utilizing teamwork.
I thought it was kind of assumed that this was the case, given that it was explicitly gameplay B-roll, they were strictly focusing on the mechanics and demonstrating the things they're talking about, and it being mostly Infinity Trials footage to not distract you from what they're doing.

Perhaps GI should've gone the extra mile and been more specific about what they're showing and then people wouldn't get confuse or expect something that's not what the trailer is showing.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The cutscenes look very clean and polished to me. Not sure what it is but they look like they're gonna be fun

Nov 10, 2017
On the podcast they said the gameplay was mindless. Not what I'm looking for in a game.

You can all the characters and progression systems you want, but that's just the frosting on a poop cake.

OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
On the podcast they said the gameplay was mindless. Not what I'm looking for in a game.

You can all the characters and progression systems you want, but that's just the frosting on a poop cake.
They also said it was an intentional choice for the the friendly(easiest) difficulty so you could just have fun with friends and that the two higher difficulties(including one that requires beating the story) would require more skill and tactics

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Idk, the MUA/XML series is easily my favorite game series of all time. I've sunk countless hours into this series, across multiple platforms, and multiple versions (MUA1 Wii, MUA1 Steam, MUA1 PC with mods, MUA2 PS3/360, MUA2 Steam, and MUA2 Wii, as well as the X-Men Legends games on Gamecube) and after seeing more gameplay of this, I'm not sure about it. I think it will be fun, but to me it doesn't really feel like MUA as much. It looks like a more musou-y version of MUA, or like a toned down version of Marvel Heroes 2015/2016/Omega.

Three things in particular stick out to me that feel very un-MUA (to me, at least):

1). Number of enemies.

Here there seem to be hordes and hordes of enemies that go down in only a few hits. This reminds me of how Marvel Heroes was, in that you had a bunch of small weaklings being thrown at you and then the tougher elite enemies. MUA never really had that approach to enemies. With MUA (and the earlier XML games), it was more about smaller groups of tougher enemies, with there being slightly tougher elites that buffed the other enemies. Not really seeing that here. Enemies seem pretty weak. This is the easier difficulty though, so it could be different on higher difficulties.

2). Lack of impact on hits.

While this game has a lot of flashy effects that clearly try to sell the impact of the various hits, I feel like things feel a lot 'floatier' than MUA/XML ever did. Things just seem to lack impact overall. Not a huge deal, but still something that, to me, sticks out.

3). Lack of the interaction with enemies/environment.

This to me is a huge one, even if it seems small. Being able to grab and throw enemies off ledges, or into each other, or into your teammates (which in the X-Men Legends games got you a special combo called 'Batter Up') was kind of a big part of the gameplay, or at the very least was another option at your disposal. It also added a bit more flair to the characters in that in MUA1, every character had a special and unique 'super' grab move they could perform on the enemy (Luke Cage, Sabertooth, Hulk, and Colossus were the only ones with overlap in their special grabs. Everyone else's was unique; Speaking of Colossus and Hulk, they could pick up other enemies and use them as a weapon, which was awesome). While the PS3/360/PC version of MUA2 dropped the special grabs (though still enabled you to grab and throw enemies), the Wii/PS2/PSP version kept it, which was nice. This interaction with enemies also extended to certain powers, such as Nick Fury's 'Furious' power, where he could grab an enemy and slam them into the ground doing AOE damage, or Doctor Strange's 'Black Magic' power, where he could turn an enemy into a box and throw it at people. There were also the various lunge/tackle powers that Wolverine, Black Panther, Colossus, Hulk, and Venom (in PS3/360/PC MUA2) had, where you could pin enemies to the ground and wail on them.

And of course, let's remember, grabbing and throwing didn't just extend to enemies- it also extended to objects. Being able to throw a car in MUA2 or a giant boulder in MUA1 was incredibly fun, and the less strong characters could still throw crates, boxes, trash cans, barrels, and so forth at enemies, and doing so would cause the enemy to be stunned. Again, it was another option at your disposal.

Then there were the weapons you could grab off of the ground/walls/enemies. Silly though it was, lore-wise, to have Silver Surfer wielding a mace or a sword or, yes, even something as mundane as a steel pipe, it was still a fun thing you could do, and added to the overall craziness/fun of the game. Captain America with sword/shield or mace/shield or spear/shield looked especially badass. PS3/360/Steam MUA2 toned this down a bit, in that you could no longer wield swords/spears/axes/halberds/steel pipes/hammers, but you could still throw enemy grenades, missiles, and debris at people. MUA2 Wii/PS2/PSP did retain the weapons from MUA1 however, and added some new ones like dual swords.

While extra weapons aren't confirmed to not be in the game, I think we would've heard if it was, and there's no indication there's that level of interaction with the environment.

The overall lack of environment interaction and grabbing/throwing in general has me really bummed out, as does only four powers.

And yes, before someone says it, I know there's an Xtreme and a synergy, that still doesn't change the fact that in the original MUA everyone got 4-5 offensive powers, 2-3 boosts, and one extreme, and that in the earlier X-Men Legends 2 they had (around) 4-7 offensive powers, 3 boosts, and two Xtremes (one boost and one offensive), and that this is a step down from that. It's even more frustrating that there are duplicate powers (Iron Man and Captain Marvel's beam moves), given that there are only four.

The game still looks fun, but it looks like it will be more of a mix of a musou game and a toned down Marvel Heroes with some MUA-like elements (four person team, light and heavy attacks, team bonuses). Kinda disappointed, but still holding out hope that it will at least be better than MUA2. It won't beat MUA1 or XML2 I think, but it still has the potential to be pretty good. Seeing the HUD would really make it feel a bit more like an MUA game to me, as the glimpse we got in the Direct made it seem a bit more MUA-like.

That pretty perfectly outlines my concerns with what's been shown. Characters being limited to only having 4 abilities total is a huge issue.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I know musou games have difficulty and are challenging but they are a different kind of challenge than the original MUA.

Musou games have a lot of fodder but I hope every enemy is agressive in a balanced way, when its not set on easy

Adathir

Oct 25, 2017
The game is looking about how I expected it to which is fine. As long as the frame rate ends up being solid then I will be happy with it. It will be nice to have something for me to play on the Switch again.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, I was really hyped for the game but somehow this managed to make me less hype. The art style, the VO, the performance, the gameplay, they're all a bit budgety. It seems similar to a mobile game in terms of quality and feel.

That being said, I just love Marvel so much that I'll be buying it anyway, so I suppose it doesn't matter.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
I mean we have the biggest roster in the series, each power has customization and more rpg elements than ever

This is what I'm eager to see. 4 move is definitely disappointing on top of lack of grab and throws but if the skills could be customized like in Diablo 3 or Path of Exile it would be really nice. Hopefully it's good and meaningful progression and customization and not like Hyrule Warriors or Fire Emblem Warrior where it's insane and mind numbing grinding only to push numbers.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I completely forgot it's on the switch only. Damn that took the wind out my sails.