• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nekrono

May 17, 2018
Gameplay looks alright but what's up with the graphics? This game looks extremely dated

EDIT: Seems this isn't coming out on anything else other than a Switch?

Last edited:

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Strat Presents: A Guide to Talking About Switch Games (Pre-Release Edition)

Here are some phrases you can use:

Looks like a PS2 game!
Looks like a mobile game!
Looks rough!
Yikes!
I hope it's early!
Is this really full price?

Remember - Pre-Release footage is always indicative of the final product. Switch games will always look bad in comparison to games on more powerful hardware, the fact that it's a handheld is meaningless! Always specify if you don't care about using handheld mode and consistently mention that "You consider it a console" in order to make your argument as unassailable as possible! Never forget that Switch games look and run worse than PS3/360 games, because of course they do!

Pro-tip: This kind of trolling will forever be allowed to continually derail every Switch game thread ever, so keep it up!

Next Time - Defending Switch Games That Look Underwhelming For Dummies

Hint - Always be as condescending to people who care about graphics as possible! It's a very helpful attitude to have!

Anbec

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I'm in my friends and I are having a blast, hopefully Star-Lord is fun!

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean Writer is a legit Marvel writer/editor with over a decade of experience and who has covered everything from Avengers as an editor and a few Power Pack miniseries and pet avengers as a writer. His name is Mark Sumerak and he's legit. Also Team Ninja asked for him because they knew they couldn't do the story justice without help
Wow! That Marc Sumerak!? So cool!
He's great at writing ensembles IMO or aka I like his Power Pack work :p

I hope Power Pack appears :)
And Gwenpool

How the game came to be and why it’s a permanent Nintendo exclusive
OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Gameplay looks alright but what's up with the graphics? This game looks extremely dated

EDIT: Seems this isn't coming out on anything else other than a Switch?
The gameinformer cover article has the full story but
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ga...l-ultimate-alliance-3-the-black-order.115619/
Info on how this game came to be:
Mike Jones, Marvel Games VP and executive producer on resurrecting this once dormant franchise-"We knew it was really important to a lot of people. But we also knew that after 10 years of not having another installment, it wasn't going to be enough to just make a sequel...So, for the last few years, we were on the lookout of what that might be. And then one day we found our answer."
-Nintendo visited Marvel before the Switch was publicly revealed to show off early hardware plans and "a vision for a system focused on social and shared play experiences."
-Bill Trinen-"There was a mutual feeling that the series itself was one we hadn't seen in a long time, and that we wanted to see it come back. From a Marvel content perspective, that feels like the perfect fit for the Switch platform because of the multiplayer focus, and because of the versatility of the platform."
-Mike Jones on coming to the decision to enlist Team Ninja on development duties-"In parallel to all of these conversations, we were also huge fans of Team Ninja and Koei Tecmo and their esteemed history...We had always been looking for a way to work with them on a project together, and Nintendo already had a fantastic relationship there."
-Team Ninja is "filled with self-professed Marvel enthusiasts" which played a part in pitching the game
Story details:
Mark Sumerak, who worked on Avengers comics for Marvel, was enlisted to write the story for UA3 after he "gained recognition writing a number of all-ages Marvel titles that required knowledge of a wide variety of the heroes and villians. He also happened to be an avid gamer, and fan of the earlier games."

Game wouldn't exist without Nintendo and they brought in team ninja

Wow! That Marc Sumerak!? So cool!
He's great at writing ensembles IMO or aka I like his Power Pack work :p

I hope Power Pack appears :)
And Gwenpool
Yep it bodes we'll for a variety of pulls character wise

Kaizer

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not really understanding the complaints about the gameplay or visuals? Did any of y'all actually play the first two Ultimate Alliance or X-Men Legends games? This looks & plays exactly like they did. These games have always been mostly button-mashing, musou-esque, dungeon brawlers with the added cool factor of controlling the Marvel roster & accessing their ablities, doing combo attacks, dream team-ups, etc.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
First Marvel Ultimate Alliance, 3 Screenshots

mua-100674047-orig.jpg

Marvel-Ultimate-Alliance-2-XBOX-360.jpg

Marvel-Xbox-One-Delay.jpg

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, graphically it's pretty much the old games up rezzed and stylized, which is enough for me. Also, it looks like it runs amazingly well on the switch even with tons of effects and enemies on screen, that's the most important part visually to me.

Deleted member 59

This actually looks much better than i thought it did during the previous two Nintendo Direct appearances. After EndGame i think I'm onboard for something Marvel and fun!

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
Did they say only 4 skills per character? I know there a a lot of characters but only the same 4 skills is a bummer. Or can you only equip 4 at a time?

OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Did they say only 4 skills per character? I know there a a lot of characters but only the same 4 skills is a bummer. Or can you only equip 4 at a time?
Seems to be four in total. However unlike previous games the extreme attack does not take up one of the four slots. Also you only start with one unlocked and unlock an additional one every ten levels. Also they are upgradable(and possibly have their own skill tree)

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Put me in the camp that thinks this looks great. I prefer the cartoony, vibrant art style.

One thing is for sure, they are gonna LOOOVE playing this at E3 during treehouse segments.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
Love it. This series has never been a looker, so I don't mind the look. Gameplay looks more action-oriented, which is a-ok in my book. Hope there are a lot of characters and customization options.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, this game has ISO-8. Must have been in development for quite a while, because afaik the ISO-8 idea has been all but dropped from newer Marvel games

Deleted member 49132

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Damn, imagine how cool this could have looked if it wasn't exclusive to switch. Graphics are pretty laughable. Gameplay doesn't...look that impressive either?

I really loved Ultimate Alliance 1 back in the day. One of the best superhero games ever.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got the watch the video and holly hell. I love the heroic camera. It does kind of change the gameplay from a top down arpg like Xmen legends and MUA and makes it a little more third person action. But being able to do both is great. The graphics dont' bother me at all, but I'm still playing MUA and MUA2. Even the HD remaster have garbage level character models but it's super fun and that's what matters.

JTyrmi

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
If the game reviews good, I might actually buy it. Haven't played any of the previous games, but an ARPG in Marvel universe sounds like fun times. After all these Marvel movies in the past decade, I've grown fond of the characters, so more Marvel doesn't sound like a bad thing at all.

Deleted member 49132

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
*Looks above your post* Sort of. Nowhere near as bad as that, of course, but it is always funny when the folk who complain about port begging go on to port beg themselves
There's port begging - and then there's scratching your head wondering why a game in a series historically heavily multiplatform is all the sudden exclusive to not only the weakest console on the market (by far), but the one with the lowest install base as well.

A Marvel game at that.

Looking at that gameplay footage..it definitely doesn't seem like UA3 is hitting on the huge potential that the series had in any way, shape or form. Looks pretty low budget.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
There's port begging - and then there's scratching your head wondering why a game in a series historically heavily multiplatform is all the sudden exclusive to not only the weakest console on the market (by far), but the one with the lowest install base as well.

A Marvel game at that.

Looking at that gameplay footage..it definitely doesn't seem like UA3 is hitting on the huge potential that the series had in any way, shape or form. Looks pretty low budget.
It's all still port begging, buddy. The game, from what we've been told, essentially wouldn't exist with Nintendo. You might as well question why the latest Spider-Man game on the PS4 isn't multiplatform, seeing as it'd have done several million more on the XB1 and the PC. It's basically the same situation

It has nothing to do with the system having weaker hardware or the lowest install base atm. Those are all just to justify port begging. Not everything has to be on the big powerful consoles. It's perfectly okay

I take it that you don't remember any of the previous games because none of them were lookers or big budget affairs for their respective systems

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France

A Marvel game at that.

Because nobody else would do it.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
The art direction is fine, but the framerate still needs work. There's slowdown in plenty of places and I have a sinking feeling it won't be fixed in time for a July release...

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
First Marvel Ultimate Alliance, 3 Screenshots

mua-100674047-orig.jpg

Marvel-Ultimate-Alliance-2-XBOX-360.jpg

Marvel-Xbox-One-Delay.jpg
You're not fooling anyone with "Copyright 2016 Marvel".

A Marvel game at that.

Trolls will be trolls I guess.

People are willing to dismiss a game simply because it lacks the photorealistic art-style of the previous entires.

Deleted member 49132

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
It's all still port begging, buddy. The game, from what we've been told, essentially wouldn't exist with Nintendo. You might as well question why the latest Spider-Man game on the PS4 isn't multiplatform, seeing as it'd have done several million more on the XB1 and the PC. It's basically the same situation

It has nothing to do with the system having weaker hardware or the lowest install base atm. Those are all just to justify port begging. Not everything has to be on the big powerful consoles. It's perfectly okay

I take it that you don't remember any of the previous games because none of them were lookers or big budget affairs for their respective systems
So I guess all the people back in 2014 wondering why Rise of the Tomb Raider was gonna be exclusive to the Xbox One were "port begging" as well.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I don't have a good read on this game - is it a Dynasty Warrior or Diablo type game? It looks more like Dynasty Warrior to me. I never played the first two.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Literally said "four regular powers" because I knew someone would want to correct me about the synergy and extreme attack. :P

MUA2 released 10 years ago. Omega was clearly an improvement in terms of gameplay, while this is a huge regression. "More arcadey" is a beautiful sentiment, but you can do that without dumbing the game down to the absolute bare Playskool essentials. The game seems entirely braindead in the video, plus characters seem to play very similarly (Captain Marvel and Iron Man have the exact same kind of beam attack, which is pretty bad considering the already reduced number of powers per character on top of the reduced character count). Enemies standing there waiting for their turn to be killed, bossed being slow motioned in place by attacks for several seconds (which BTW looks silly as fuck). And of course the framerate is not looking good either.

I didn't expect Omega levels of complex skill interactions and builds, but this is shaping up not to be much deeper than the Lego Marvel games.
Is this game called Marvel omega 2?

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
1) Day one for me.
2) But...some of these abilities look almost directly lifted from the Marvel Future Fight/Marvel Strike Force mobile games.
3) I hope this captures some of the joy that Marvel Heroes did on the PC. RIP.

nicolasacmf

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

A Marvel game at that.

As with previous exclusive titles, it seems like Nintendo footed a bill no one else wanted to pay for. Stop playing dumb. I'm also pretty sure you had no problems with Spider-man being a PS4 exclusive. Try to hide it all you want, it's just port begging thinly disguised as "scratching your head" over whatever excuse you want to make.

It's looking better than both previous games comined. Take off those rose tinted glasses. I loved them, but this looks leagues ahead of MUA1 and MUA2.

Oct 27, 2017
3 looks better than the first couple games. The more colorful, cel shaded style works better for this than an attempt at a realistic one.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Game looks pretty damn good.

Art style is fantastic. Hyper saturated, cartoonish, like all of the other best representations of Marvel characters in video games. Nothing represents those characters as well as these styles do, IMO. Animations are phenomenal for the most part, for the cutscenes especially. I think a few characters don't look as good as they could (Thor, Nebula), but some of the others are bang-on. I especially love the Kree and Ronan. It's really good that the characters stick out from the environment (maybe lack of shadows helps this?), because it does seem as chaotic as they described earlier. Might be too chaotic, so I understand why they're taking different steps to try and up the clarity. The power effects look really good though, especially Cap's "super."

I'm not very familiar with musou games but I'm assuming people are saying that they look like that because there are a lot of enemies on screen? This is a step up from MUA1 and MUA2 which felt like heroes were struggling to put the beat down on like 4 opponents. This ratio of heroes to minions in combat seems much better and way more of a challenge on higher difficulties. I feel like this will play very different when you ratchet the difficulty up relative to 1 and 2. In 1 and 2 you just couldn't get hit or the second or third might take you out. This one might give you more lee way but wither you down slowly.

I assume most are also put off by how paper-like the enemies are but this is also probably because it's an easy difficulty. MUA1 at least could be cruel on higher difficulties and I imagine this game will require a lot more precision and dodge rolling on hard. I think more enemies + stagger system will force players to take up more strategic roles than in MUA1/2, where it was basically just hit whoever is closest to you, boss or not. This time you might need dedicated ad clear, dedicated stagger, DPS, etc.

Gameplay seems more complex than ever for the franchise although I would have preferred swappable specials like the previous games. But I'll gladly take more characters instead of that. Alliance leveling is a great idea that more games with many playable characters should steal.

With combination attacks (I forget their actual name) confirmed as returning, which were by far the coolest part of MUA2, I have little concern about the gameplay at this point. The only thing I think is kind of whatever is the damage boost when everyone does their super at once. I think that encourages everyone dumping at once than strategically varying those attacks IMO. Hopefully some buff/debuff supers make it in to make things more interesting.

Otherwise, I dont really follow many of the gameplay complaints, as they sound like they're wanting for a completely different genre of game entirely. I'll give you the lack of swappable specials, but that doesn't seem to be what the discussion is revolving around.

Oct 26, 2017
So I guess all the people back in 2014 wondering why Rise of the Tomb Raider was gonna be exclusive to the Xbox One were "port begging" as well.
Rise of the Tomb Raider would've existed with or without Microsoft making it a timed exclusive but, that being said, I won't deny, had it been a timed exclusive for Sony, I'm willing to bet it wouldn't have gotten anywhere the same amount of backlash

This situation is more comparable to Spider-Man than it is to Rise of the Tomb Raider

Xlad

Oct 19, 2018
Game informer said the game's performance work fine even undocked+4 player. hmmm

Oct 27, 2017
Rise of the Tomb Raider would've existed with or without Microsoft making it a timed exclusive but, that being said, I won't deny, had it been a timed exclusive for Sony, I'm willing to bet it wouldn't have gotten anywhere the same amount of backlash

This situation is more comparable to Spider-Man than it is to Rise of the Tomb Raider
For real. Insomniac Spider-Man didn't get port begged and ridiculed for it's look like this game is getting. Spider-Man games were multiplat for years, but I don't see anyone making the argument that Insomniac Spider-Man should be multiplat based on tradition. 6th gen Spider-Man 2 was a gem of a game despite being a movie tie-in game.