• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Hey guys just realized something important for all of you complaining about four powers. We all forgot and didn't notice something!
In the original mua one of your specials was your permanentaly mapped and locked in extreme move you couldn't swap out and you only had 3 regular special skills. In this game the extreme is mapped to another button combo so you actually have five skills this time, 1 extreme and 4 regular which is an improvement over previous games if they are more unique

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys just realized something important for all of you complaining about four powers. We all forgot and didn't notice something!
In the original mua one of your specials was your permanentaly mapped and locked in extreme move you couldn't swap out and you only had 3 regular special skills. In this game the extreme is mapped to another button combo so you actually have five skills this time, 1 extreme and 4 regular which is an improvement over previous games if they are more unique
Good catch!

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Kind of hoping for the non-Disney movie Big Hero 6 to appear. Include Silver Samurai so I can team him up with Wolverine.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Kind of hoping for the non-Disney movie Big Hero 6 to appear. Include Silver Samurai so I can team him up with Wolverine.
I wouldn't mind just the silver samurai but yeah some of the original big hero 6 would be fun
220px-Sunfire_%26_Big_Hero_6_No.1.jpg

Also correct it's 5 and a half special attacks(4 normal specials, an extreme attack and a synergy attack that requires another character )

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Fuck how did I miss the PSP game? Didn't get to know these games until a friend got MUA2 for 360, but a portable, couch coop version (I assume) would have been sweet.
Yeah, the PSP MUA (and X-Men Legends II) ports are pretty solid. MUA1 in particular even had a few exclusive characters on PSP.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Will someone post a summary of the podcast? I'll be at work when it goes up this morning.
I second this.

Also while the writer got main pull on playable characters, as such huge fans I can't help but think the team gotta chose at least one obscure character as a hidden unlockable. I also bet they got say on some costumes. So other than obscure comic stuff I got a crazy idea: what if they not only got oked for Toei Spider-Man costume but created an entire set of costumes for several characters based off that concept? Now that'd be sick

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Is there any limits to who you can pick for your team?

Like could I do:

Peter
Miles
Gwen
Venom?
There are no limits. Certain team ups get better or more bonuses(we don't know yet if having a unified team increases the bonus or not, just that you can have multiple now and it only has to have two teammates matching to get it. )For example they got midnight sons in the demo despite the only applicable characters being Venom and Dr strange

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, I wonder if all team bonuses are going to be based off of 4 characters at all or if they're just going to have some that are exclusive to pairs or groups of three. Having a "midnight sons" bonus exclusive to Strange and Venom with the potential absence of characters like Ghost Rider & Blade in the cast would be odd. If bonus titles are all based off of 4 team members as a baseline then we could speculate who might be in the roster :p

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Hm, I wonder if all team bonuses are going to be based off of 4 characters at all or if they're just going to have some that are exclusive to pairs or groups of three. Having a "midnight sons" bonus exclusive to Strange and Venom with the potential absence of characters like Ghost Rider & Blade in the cast would be odd. If they're all based off of 4 team members as a baseline then we could speculate who might be in the roster :p
It's confirmed you only need two. It's unknown if a full team will make the buff stronger though

Oct 25, 2017
It's confirmed you only need two. It's unknown if a full team will make the buff stronger though

Oh, I'm aware of that! Just in terms of roster speculation; I wonder if all bonuses confirmed so far will have a 4 team threshold or if some will exclusively require 2 or 3 characters to have, for example does the inclusion of the midnight sons bonus mean we could get 2 more characters in the game to make a full team of midnight sons or will it just be exclusively for Venom and Strange

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
So will this allow me to level up and get new abilities for my characters such as X-men Legends 1/2 and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1/2

you will get all 4 distinct abilities while you level up (each hero will get a total of 4). After that you can empower them with ability points along with using ISO-8 equippables (through drops) that will empower your hero with different effects (less damage taken, more healing orbs generated, add electricity to your attacks, etc.). You will also gain team enhancement points called the "alliance enhancement system" that will be a gigantic web of upgrades that applies to everyone on your team, was compared in some ways to FFX.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
So will this allow me to level up and get new abilities for my characters such as X-men Legends 1/2 and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1/2
you will get all 4 distinct abilities while you level up (each hero will get a total of 4). After that you can empower them with ability points along with using ISO-8 equippables (through drops) that will empower your hero with different effects (less damage taken, more healing orbs generated, add electricity to your attacks, etc.). You will also gain team enhancement points called the "alliance enhancement system" that will be a gigantic web of upgrades that applies to everyone on your team.
There's also character specific level up options we just don't have the full details yet. Everyone also has an extreme and synergy attack too. There's plenty we don't know other than that there is plenty of choices and upgrade stuff

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Any kind soul want to give us a summary for those at work?
I'm currently listening to it, but not much so far, and I have hard times doing recaps of podcasts since it often go off-rails.

Segment is 40mn long. They wonder if the text is done by Marvel, Treehouse, or a mix of both given what they've read of it. Say the same thing that has been said already about how Nintendo/TN ended up making the game (the stuff that is in the OP). Some text/voices reference a bit the MCU (not in lore obviously). "Well over 20" is what they're aiming for the roster. Nice mix of heavy hitters you'd expect, and some unexpected ones too, and some of the ones you'd expect now would have been unexpected back then in MUA2 (lack of popularity in comics/movies).

Still got about 20mn to listen to, no real gameplay impressions yet, more about writing/atmosphere/dev process.

edit:
- don't want to talk about possible DLC
- gameplay reminiscent of the older games. Easy to get in and button mash in regular difficulties.
- Always see 4 characters on screen, focused on pick up and play
- only played a few hours, interested if it can works as well with playing with your kid, drunk friends, solo or more serious play.
- customization is the ISO-8 stuff talked about, + experience, currencies, ability orbs.
- FFX-like grid for Alliance enhancements that affects the whole team.

edit 2:
- damage numbers are by default on screen
- a lot going on, "learning curve to get what is happening on screen"
- lock-on only if you play by yourself, didn't work in local coop. In the build they've played at least
- new shoulder camera feels like the best way to play (bad if you play local coop on the same screen)

edit 3:
- bigger attacks if you attack together
- Team Ninja really focused on a "stagger meter" for mini-bosses and bosses, pushes for cooperation (sounds like the gauge they added for bosses in Hyrule Warriors for example)
- "feels a lot like the older games" , "colorful action rpg for switch", "not a graphical powerhouse but fits well the arcade aesthetic"

Nothing else worth mentioning I think. Rest in the OP, or will be in the next news/videos.

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Ooo got some hopes for some curve balls then
Also finally we're getting new Mua3 footage tomorrow! First real one for that matter

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently listening to it, but not much so far, and I have hard times doing recaps of podcasts since it often go off-rails.

Segment is 40mn long. They wonder if the text is done by Marvel, Treehouse, or a mix of both given what they've read of it. Say the same thing that has been said already about how Nintendo/TN ended up making the game (the stuff that is in the OP). Some text/voices reference a bit the MCU (not in lore obviously). "Well over 20" is what they're aiming for the roster. Nice mix of heavy hitters you'd expect, and some unexpected ones too, and some of the ones you'd expect now would have been unexpected back then in MUA2 (lack of popularity in comics/movies).

Still got about 20mn to listen to, no real gameplay impressions yet, more about writing/atmosphere/dev process.

edit:
- gameplay reminiscent of the older games. Easy to get in and button mash in regular difficulties.
- only played a few hours, interested if it can works as well with playing with your kid, drunk friends, solo or more serious play.
- customization is the ISO-8 stuff talked about, + experience, currencies, ability orbs.

edit 2:
- lock-on only if you play by yourself, didn't work in local coop. In the build they've played at least
- new shoulder camera feels like the best way to play (bad if you play local coop on the same screen)

edit 3:
- Team Ninja really focused on a "stagger meter" for mini-bosses and bosses, pushes for cooperation (sounds like the gauge they added for bosses in Hyrule Warriors for example)
- "feels a lot like the older games" , "colorful action rpg for switch", "not a graphical powerhouse but fits well the arcade aesthetic"

Nothing else worth mentioning I think. Rest in the OP, or will be in the next news/videos.
Thanks!!

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
I might have missed it but have they said if you can turn off that red ring underneath your character?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
So here's something fun for you guys, end of the gameinformer podcast was an interview with three former Raven devs who were all in mua, including the tech leader. Some fun stuff in there including the team had basically free reign on who they put in as long as marvel approved it from a playable character standpoint(that's how Deadpool got in, the team wanted it). However there is one playable character they demanded that seemed relatively obscure but the fact marvel wanted him made an impact in the teams mind. That character that Marvel itself wanted in was... Moonknight. Honestly he's even more of a cult favorite now and has several popular runs since then so there's your ray of hope for those who want him(I'm sure there's more fun tidbits but I only listened to half of it because I still want to listen to the Mua3 interview)

Also Nintendo was coy about the Fantastic Four rather than deconfirming them which means they are coming in some form

Last note for anyone worrying about scale of locations: story starts with the gems being scattered across the universe. That means earth, Asguard, and Attalin/moon at least will be locations. Also feels they are hiding a lot story wise. Also after the gotg in mission one mission 2 throws 10 more at you in rapid succession

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
do they talk about who approached who about the game? did marvel come to nintendo for a sequel or the other way around?

AxkilAvenger

Banned
Apr 8, 2018
do they talk about who approached who about the game? did marvel come to nintendo for a sequel or the other way around?
Heard Nintendo brought a prototype switch to marvel years ago and they loved it. Especially the multiplayer aspect of the system. Marvel decided they wanted to do a game for it and BOOM

OP
OP
DMVfan123

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
OP updated with the Game Informer Podcast with a timestamp for when UA3 impressions start + the summary from Eolz and Mandos
Will be updating the thread as we get more updates

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
So here's something fun for you guys, end of the gameinformer podcast was an interview with three former Raven devs who were all in mua, including the tech leader. Some fun stuff in there including the team had basically free reign on who they put in as long as marvel approved it from a playable character standpoint(that's how Deadpool got in, the team wanted it). However there is one playable character they demanded that seemed relatively obscure but the fact marvel wanted him made an impact in the teams mind. That character that Marvel itself wanted in was... Moonknight. Honestly he's even more of a cult favorite now and has several popular runs since then so there's your ray of hope for those who want him(I'm sure there's more fun tidbits but I only listened to half of it because I still want to listen to the Mua3 interview)

Also Nintendo was coy about the Fantastic Four rather than deconfirming them which means they are coming in some form

Last note for anyone worrying about scale of locations: story starts with the gems being scattered across the universe. That means earth, Asguard, and Attalin/moon at least will be locations. Also feels they are hiding a lot story wise. Also after the gotg in mission one mission 2 throws 10 more at you in rapid succession
Russos mention they'd like Moonknight and now MUA devs say that it was heavily suggested...

MOONKNIGHT SZN APPROACHING

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Hey no promises on Moonknight just thought I'd dispel the myth he got in the first place as a developers pick rather than marvels. However it was the marvel that was planning Tom Cruise as Ironman I'd you want to think about how long ago the first game was in dev

Also the part of the podcast that is solely about Mua3 got its own video. Worth a listen

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

OMG Moon Knight might have a chance!!

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Hey no promises on Moonknight just thought I'd dispel the myth he got in the first place as a developers pick rather than marvels. However it was the marvel that was planning Tom Cruise as Ironman I'd you want to think about how long ago the first game was in dev

Also the part of the podcast that is solely about Mua3 got its own video. Worth a listen

I can't listen right now. Anything new from the podcast?

Oct 26, 2017
I can't listen right now. Anything new from the podcast?

Should be this from before:

edit:

edit 2:

edit 3:

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
I never played the MUA games on the 360, but was always interested. Extremely hyped for some Marvel co-op on the Switch. Anyone know when the gameplay video will drop?

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I never played the MUA games on the 360, but was always interested. Extremely hyped for some Marvel co-op on the Switch. Anyone know when the gameplay video will drop?
Game Informer will have some gameplay stuff up some time this month, I believe. Think they said so in the podcast.