• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
~25 minute interview with Bill Rosemann on the latest GI Show.

Talks about the Marvel Gamerverse a bit, which even Bill seems a bit confused about describing.

Says that they're treating UA3 like a fresh start of a game since so much time has passed since the predecessors (hence, different race Nick Fury).

Gameplay and story drive character selection (like every other Marvel game), with attempts to think of characters that pair in "twos, or threes, or fours." He asks about playable villains, says he can't talk about that right now. When asked if F4 are off the table for licensing reasons, he says "anything is possible in the Marvel universe."

Seems to suggest that there won't be Nintendo tie-ins.

He says a lot of his job is to make sure that characters are authentically Marvel. Us MvC fans crine
That bodes well for the Fantastic Four.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I'm curious if they'll do all of the Fantastic Four as one character. I doubt it but I kind of want to see if they'd make that work.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Is there any chance for Quake getting in? Love Agents of Shield, would be cool to play as her.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Is there any chance for Quake getting in? Love Agents of Shield, would be cool to play as her.
I mean she's been a major player in the comics for over a decade, shows up in a bunch of the cartoons and the lead female hero for their most successful live action tv show... yeah I'd say her odds are good. Also we got Kamala do we're definitely getting Squirrel Girl

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
That bodes well for the Fantastic Four.
I kind of interpret that as a soft "no" that leaves the fans hopeful, at least that's how those kinds of responses have felt for other Marvel games.

I guess you're the perfect person to ask what licensing issues GI might be referring to if the "Fox ban" is no longer a thing? Are F4 rights more complicated than X-Men rights or something?

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I kind of interpret that as a soft "no" that leaves the fans hopeful, at least that's how those kinds of responses have felt for other Marvel games.

I guess you're the perfect person to ask what licensing issues GI might be referring to if the "Fox ban" is no longer a thing? Are F4 rights more complicated than X-Men rights or something?
If I recall, the F4 part of the ban lasted longer than the X-Men part. This would explain why it took longer for us to start getting F4 content in games again. The issue for MUA3 is that a good chunk of development was likely spent with said ban active.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
If I recall, the F4 part of the ban lasted longer than the X-Men part. This would explain why it took longer for us to start getting F4 content in games again. The issue for MUA3 is that a good chunk of development was likely spent with said ban active.

Question: If it was at all possible that Marvel/Disney used the Time Gem and foresaw that things were going to go their way when it came to the merger by the time this game was in production...wouldn't it stand to reason they could have just given Team Ninja the go ahead to include the F4 (and Doom?) along with the X-men in their original plans, and just bank on the idea that things would fall in place by the time the game released?

Worst comes to worst, Marvel could have just gave the order to hold back certain characters as DLC if things didn't go 100% as they predicted (or time tables were moved). And it's not like creating characters for a game like this requires quite as much work as it would for, say, a fighting game character.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I mean this is technically an assumption, sure we saw the X-men back earlier, but isn't it just as possible the delay happened for marketing reasons and them wanting to do a welcome back week in both the mobile games and comics than there being a longer ban

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I mean this is technically an assumption, sure we saw the X-men back earlier, but isn't it just as possible the delay happened for marketing reasons and them wanting to do a welcome back week in both the mobile games and comics than there being a longer ban
A delay by almost 2 years sounds a bit weird, even for Marvel Entertainment.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
A delay by almost 2 years sounds a bit weird, even for Marvel Entertainment.
Ok maybe it was longer but evidence points to it letting up a little more than a year ago last winter when they finally let the legendary marvel deckbuilding game(physical tabletop game) reprint its Fantastic Four expansion for the first time in four years(every other expansion has gotten a reprint when the stock gets low

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Ok maybe it was longer but evidence points to it letting up a little more than a year ago last winter when they finally let the legendary marvel deckbuilding game(physical tabletop game) reprint its Fantastic Four expansion for the first time in four years(every other expansion has gotten a reprint when the stock gets low
If you apply that time-frame, the X-Men ban would have ended late 2016 or early 2017 to give the mobile devs enough time to make the necessary changes.

Either way, if enzo_gt's assessment is accurate, I'm gonna guess that the remaining characters are...
  • Black Bolt
  • Medusa
  • Quake
  • Nova (Richard Rider)
  • Ghost Rider (Johnny Blaze or Robbie Reyes)
  • Squirrel Girl
  • Luke Cage
...plus maybe War Machine & Winter Soldier to round out the base roster.

Last edited:

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
If you apply that time-frame, the X-Men ban would have ended late 2016 or early 2017 to give the mobile devs enough time to make the necessary changes.

Either way, if enzo_gt's assessment is accurate, I'm gonna guess that the remaining characters are...
  • Black Bolt
  • Medusa
  • Quake
  • Nova (Richard Rider)
  • Squirrel Girl
...& maybe War Machine to round out the base roster.
I feel like if we were getting Black Bolt or Medusa they would have been announced first instead of Crystal.

Cross

Oct 25, 2017
If Colossus is playable, then my team would be X-Force based:
Deadpool, Psylocke, Wolverine and Colossus.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I feel like if we were getting Black Bolt or Medusa they would have been announced first instead of Crystal.
You could say the same for Wolverine & Storm, but we got the recent trailer. Either way, how Crystal was revealed seemed a bit "Oh hey, there she is", so I'd imagine that the bigger members of the Royal Family are still to come.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
You could say the same for Wolverine & Storm, but we got the recent trailer. Either way, how Crystal was revealed seemed a bit "Oh hey, there she is", so I'd imagine that the bigger members of the Royal Family are still to come.
What I meant by that was that Crystal is being sort of pushed as the "main" Inhuman of the game (what with being present right from the get-go and providing Lockjaw) and Wolverine and Storm are the two "main" X-Men anyway so them being announced ahead of the other mutants makes sense.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
What I meant by that was that Crystal is being sort of pushed as the "main" Inhuman of the game (what with being present right from the get-go and providing Lockjaw) and Wolverine and Storm are the two "main" X-Men anyway so them being announced ahead of the other mutants makes sense.
To be fair, we got Iron Fist before we got Daredevil.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Not really, thing is Crystal has been on a lot more teams than the two of them since black Bolt tends to stay in a Attalin unless a crisis is happening

Also i feel that if the Fantastic Four weren't coming to the game at some point it would have been a no instead of a nebulous answer. Also we can't really make a call on the final roster size

• Black Bolt
  • Medusa
  • Quake
  • Nova (Richard Rider)
  • Squirrel Girl
But these guys seem like likely picks to me. Maybe throw in Yellowjacket Pym as a Ultron foil or to round out the Janet, Scott, Pym trio

Oct 25, 2017
With Psylocke were just one member away from Remeder X-force. No one wonder that was recommended

• Black Bolt
  • Medusa
  • Quake
  • Nova (Richard Rider)
  • Squirrel Girl
Luke Cage? Maybe

Cross

Oct 25, 2017
With Psylocke were just one member away from Remeder X-force. No one wonder that was recommended

Luke Cage? Maybe
Well if Colossus is in, they could just considerate him as a X-Force member. The samething happaned in Marvel Future Fight, where the X-Force team were Deadpool, Domino, Cable, Colossus, Psylocke and Fantomax.

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017

Talks about the Marvel Gamerverse a bit, which even Bill seems a bit confused about describing.

Says that they're treating UA3 like a fresh start of a game since so much time has passed since the predecessors (hence, different race Nick Fury).

Gameplay and story drive character selection (like every other Marvel game), with attempts to think of characters that pair in "twos, or threes, or fours." He asks about playable villains, says he can't talk about that right now. When asked if F4 are off the table for licensing reasons, he says "anything is possible in the Marvel universe."

He says a lot of his job is to make sure that characters are authentically Marvel. Us MvC fans crine
That's kind of a shame, wouldn't mind them adding in Captain Falcon or Samus into it as I think they could mesh in quite well.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

• Black Bolt
  • Medusa
  • Quake
  • Nova (Richard Rider)
  • Squirrel Girl
Add Luke Cage and subtract Squirrel Girl and those are my predictions.

Oct 25, 2017

I just realized that bit about playable characters is weird because Venom and Magneto are already confirmed. Come to think of it what's stopping other villains from being unlockable. They already have the movesets

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY

So if it's a reboot of the series, why the hell call it MUA3? Especially if it's coming from a completely different publisher and developer.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
I just realized that bit about playable characters is weird because Venom and Magneto are already confirmed. Come to think of it what's stopping other villains from being unlockable. They already have the movesets
How bosses fight or the scale of their attacks are usually very different from how playable characters move and fight. Especially because they've already said many of the boss fights in this game will have a puzzle element. Even though it usually seems "easy," I think it's usually unlikely that bosses end up being unlockable because they do require retooling of everything.

I feel like it would be cool if Infinity Trials unlocked different members of the Black Order. Maybe get Thanos if you beat the game.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
]
So if it's a reboot of the series, why the hell call it MUA3? Especially if it's coming from a completely different publisher and developer.
Because it keeps the core elements and the previous games were never constant story wise. By establishing it as a new game it also means people won't think it's a remake of the original.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I mean the first and second games weren't exactly intrinsically tied either.
They were very VERY vaguely linked. 2's first mission ties into Doom's absence after you defeated him in MUA1. Thematically and in terms of art style/level design, 2 was a huge departure though, and not a good one.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

Maybe Namor has a chance as dlc.

I'd actually say he's likely in the base, he's never actually had a game ban and both him and Human Torch were Marvels first flagship comics and it's the 80th anniversary of marvel this year so they are both getting some focus. In fact wouldn't be surprised to see him as enemy turned ally. Also he was playable in the gba version of the original game

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd actually say he's likely in the base, he's never actually had a game ban and both him and Human Torch were Marvels first flagship comics and it's the 80th anniversary of marvel this year so they are both getting some focus. In fact wouldn't be surprised to see him as enemy turned ally. Also he was playable in the gba version of the original game
Namor I don't think has ever had a ban, he's just a boring character IMO. I think other people feel the same way. How else could you explain him not being in tons fo Marvel games throughout the years?

Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Marvel Super War, a new mobile game announced today, has Mister Fantastic in the base roster.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Namor I don't think has ever had a ban, he's just a boring character IMO. I think other people feel the same way. How else could you explain him not being in tons fo Marvel games throughout the years?
I'd argue less boring and more that he doesn't have any flashy signature moves, he's a gen 1 hero so he's pretty straightforward: top level super strength in the Thor/Hulk level combined with natural Flight, top level speed, ability to breathe underwater and some level of telepathy. Thing is though that makes for a top level brawler tank. Currently we have Hulk and Ironfist as our main two unarmed heavy fighters and they bring other things to the table alongside the hunted Colossus. A clever developer could do a lot with Namor like make his super be the horn of destruction. Also he doesn't pop up much because if it doesn't involve him or his domain Namor generally stays out of it. But he has a high tendency to get involved with world ending threats like this

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

Maybe not an explicit ban, but Namor's film rights have been tied up elsewhere, so I can see them not really making an effort to include him.

Also, Namor's a goof and nobody really cares about him. If you ask most Marvel fans to name ~30 characters for a Marvel game, I doubt he'd barely come up.

Shini42

Jan 7, 2018
Somehow I feel, that this game would've had zero chance to be on the cover of anything, aside from its own box, if it wasn't a Nintendo exclusive.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe not an explicit ban, but Namor's film rights have been tied up elsewhere, so I can see them not really making an effort to include him.

Also, Namor's a goof and nobody really cares about him. If you ask most Marvel fans to name ~30 characters for a Marvel game, I doubt he'd barely come up.
As a Marvel fan I know him. I could easily name 30 others I'd rather see, but he and the Human Torch are Marvels firsts. So he does have some heritage. But then he could also be a boss fight, since his friendliness comes and goes with those on land.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
As a Marvel fan I know him. I could easily name 30 others I'd rather see, but he and the Human Torch are Marvels firsts. So he does have some heritage. But then he could also be a boss fight, since his friendliness comes and goes with those on land.

Oh yeah, everyone knows Namor. I'm not disputing that at all. I'm just saying nobody is really chomping at the bit to play as Namor.

Heck, there are probably more Moon Knight weirdos (who I count myself amongst) than Namor weirdos.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Namor is the kind of guy who declares war on the surface world, beats the shit out of your best friend, hits on your wife, and then acts like you're the dick when you call him out on it.

Namor is an asshole. (Would be nice to see him in movies, games, etc.)

Last edited: