• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
OP has been updated with the new GI article!

As for multiple threads on the same subject, it doesn't really matter as this new article doesn't have a whole lot to discuss anyway. I don't know that having separate threads for the same discussion will change anything, but it doesn't matter either way to me :)

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
As long as you keep posting them here too, I'm good.
I will :)

To me it seems that having one thread with all the GI Sekiro cover story discussion is all we really need - having two or more threads about the same topic seems unnecessary.

If people want to come in and see the latest GI articles and discuss them, then as long as this thread is on the first few pages they'll always know where it is - or they can search for it.

But that's just me ;)

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Yeah keep it to this thread, since they are basically posting a new article every working day the whole month out. Maybe the Miyazaki interview can be it's own thread. It's probably the last thing they are gonna post.

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Yeah keep it to this thread, since they are basically posting a new article every working day the whole month out. Maybe the Miyazaki interview can be it's own thread. It's probably the last thing they are gonna post.
Today's article really doesn't elicit much discussion - the statement that this game isn't Dark Souls is something that we already know lol

Res

Oct 25, 2017
Not much today, but we did get a cool screenshot(or artwork)

newart02.jpg

Last edited:

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Do you or anyone else that reads this post know where Miyazaki said that Sekiro will have "At least as many bosses as the Soulsborne games"? I searched Google for about an hour and I couldn't find anything even close to him saying that.

Yeah it was in a 4Gamer interview
https://www.4gamer.net/games/422/G042247/20181213067/

Roughly translated by someone else to
I think that the game won't change much from past works, such as the number and size of maps, the number of boss battles, and so on.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'll enjoy playing this game until it's ruined forever after they introduce giant spider enemies.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
There was Q&A in the GI podcast today, someone in reddit made a summary here
During this weeks episode of the GI show some listeners sent in questions about Sekiro. Link here: GI Show(Timestamp around: 1:58:40 for full detailed answers)
Summary
Question 1 - Will Sekiro feature a bow and the Moonlight Greatsword?
Moonlight Greatsword, no they had been told. Maybe something that emulates a bow in the form of a prosthetic. Not sure.

Question 2 - Performance on Sekiro?
No information about the final performance of the game. The game was running at 60 FPS on a PC (The build they played so it might not be final) and From is supporting HDR for the first time.

Question 3 - Will the instant teleportation from sculptor idol to idol (Dark Souls 3 style) break world immersion and be a problem?
GI only got to play the Hirata Estates area in which they found two idols in. The Hirata Estates area as we know is an area off site from the main big world area since we travel there trough memory (flashback). Dan felt that the main big world area seem to have much more possibilities for branching paths, so it shouldn't be a problem since you are doing some back tracking here and there to find items, shortcuts.

Question 4 - Ben mentions that some listeners were wondering about Sekiro's (The Wolf) personality and how much he talks in the game.
Ben described him to be a little like Snake from Metal Gear Solid talking to himself in a couple of instances. While fighting Lady Butterfly saying stuff like and I qoute "Lady Butterfly? Why?" Overall he is described by Yasuhiro Kitao as a bit odd and quiet. NPC's are weird as usual. You should listen or watch the show for this answer, it's hilarious. Dan imitating Busshi(The Sculptor) was the highlight of the show.

Some fun details
  • You can hold X to gather all the coins in an area.
  • World building and lore can come from eavesdropping and not just item descriptions (Down on D-pad to eavesdrop).
  • You can knock on doors in the Hirata Estates and get responses from NPC's (Like you do in Bloodborne).
  • Dogs are still annoying.
  • Crows may return in some form either friendly or hostile (There is some art where the Shinobi has a crow on his arm).
  • Miyazaki's approach to creating a boss is him giving a general backstory/idea and the rest is up to the designers.
  • The game is in a phase right now where they are fine tuning stuff like boss/enemy balance, enemy placements etc.
  • The game has around 80-100 developers on it (similar to DS3 & Bloodborne).

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I couldn't be happier with the way this game is shaping up. At this point my only concern is whether they can hit 1080p/30 on base PS4. I've been awaiting these Gameinformer updates with bated breath everyday, and I wonder if I should stop since I don't want to spoil myself too much.

It's also the first From game with HDR10 support (not that I'll be experiencing it on my base PS4 plugged a 10 year old plasma). It could result in some pretty awesome visuals if they get it right.

Raptor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will :)

To me it seems that having one thread with all the GI Sekiro cover story discussion is all we really need - having two or more threads about the same topic seems unnecessary.

If people want to come in and see the latest GI articles and discuss them, then as long as this thread is on the first few pages they'll always know where it is - or they can search for it.

But that's just me ;)
I come only to this thread for Sekiro stuff, I watch you keeping it updated and thats great.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So, I think I might be onto something with more crazy lore ramblings, this time regarding Asuras (mentioned in the TGS trailer).

The Buddhist Demons that the Sculptor worships, the Asura, are deities of passion (often rage) that a being with bad karma can be reborn as after death. If the Sculptor resurrected Sekiro for a vengeful mission, does that mean that the ninja himself is an Asura?

Going even further down this rabbit hole, is it possible that Sekiro was chosen to be the Prince's sole vassal by the Ashina and the Cult they've allied with for the purpose of creating a bond that could then be warped to drive him into a state of relentless passion and rage? Has the Ashina army been offered as unwitting sacrifices to Sekiro to transform him into an unstoppable demon, and is the Prince's sacrifice the key to this ritual?

Is the Prince in on it??!! He certainly encourages Sekiro to adhere to his duty as the unquestioning protector, and has presumably already infused the ninja with his blood...

I could really, really see all of this fitting together.

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
So, I think I might be onto something with more crazy lore ramblings, this time regarding Asuras (mentioned in the TGS trailer).

The Buddhist Demons that the Sculptor worships, the Asura, are deities of passion (often rage) that a being with bad karma can be reborn as after death. If the Sculptor resurrected Sekiro for a vengeful mission, does that mean that the ninja himself is an Asura?

Going even further down this rabbit hole, is it possible that Sekiro was chosen to be the Prince's sole vassal by the Ashina and the Cult they've allied with for the purpose of creating a bond that could then be warped to drive him into a state of relentless passion and rage? Has the Ashina army been offered as unwitting sacrifices to Sekiro to transform him into an unstoppable demon, and is the Prince's sacrifice the key to this ritual?

Is the Prince in on it??!! He certainly encourages Sekiro to adhere to his duty as the unquestioning protector, and has presumably already infused the ninja with his blood...

Very interesting!

I'm sure there will be some sort of third act twist - maybe this is it.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017

I think it's implied in the TGS trailer that using the Fushigiri which itself has an ominous red aura would turn Sekiro into a Shura. The woman says: I've witnessed a Shura once before right before he gets offered the Fushigiri.

The sword probably turns you into a wargod/bloodlusted beast.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think it's implied in the TGS trailer that using the Fushigiri which itself has an ominous red aura would turn Sekiro into a Shura. The woman says: I've witnessed a Shura once before right before he gets offered the Fushigiri.

The sword probably turns you into a wargod/bloodlusted beast.
The sword is definitely his intended weapon, but I still think Sekiro will already be an Asura by the time he's "resurrected."

Let's look at how the Ashina and their allied demonic cult could have planned this:

-They preserve this one special child, who blood can create immortals/demons, and give him a single vassal as a protector to ensure a powerful bond is formed between them.

-They traumatically take the child away and kill the vassal, giving him a death filled with regret (which is how even a good person can become a demon in Buddhist mythology).

-They revive the vassal as an Asura (a demon of unyielding passion and rage) with the help of the Sculpter and the Prince's blood.

-They then let the vassal tear through their weakened army on his blind quest to save the child, gaining power and becoming more demonic as the child's blood replaces his own.

-Before he even realizes that he's been manipulated, the vassal has already become exactly the demon that the Ashina need to defeat their foes. What's more, they still control the child that the demon wishes to protect.

-To top it all off, the Sculpter is actually Ashina Isshin, the founder of their clan and an Asura himself, who used the same demonic ritual to rise to power. Due to his fading power, he needed a successor, and that's Sekiro. This whole quest is secretly the Ashina grooming him to take over their army and reassert their dominance.

I know I could be totally off, but... this would be a pretty sick twist that marries the mythology with the game's lore really well.

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
So no pro needed for PS4 version?
I was thinking of upgrading to a pro but does the standard PS4 do HDR?
I don't think so, only the PS4 Pro can do HDR.

Just because they didn't confirm native 4K, does not mean that the game won't support it. I just find it odd that they would confirm one feature and not the other.
Well Miyazaki did say he was looking forward to playing Evolve when it first came out. Maybe he regrets to see how it all shaped up.

Miyazaki in his Evolve clan: STFU noob!! This is still a good game!!1!
Lol!

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
The sword is definitely his intended weapon, but I still think Sekiro will already be an Asura by the time he's "resurrected."

Let's look at how the Ashina and their allied demonic cult could have planned this:

-They preserve this one special child, who blood can create immortals/demons, and give him a single vassal as a protector to ensure a powerful bond is formed between them.

-They traumatically take the child away and kill the vassal, giving him a death filled with regret (which is how even a good person can become a demon in Buddhist mythology).

-They revive the vassal as an Asura (a demon of unyielding passion and rage) with the help of the Sculpter and the Prince's blood.

-They then let the vassal tear through their weakened army on his blind quest to save the child, gaining power and becoming more demonic as the child's blood replaces his own.

-Before he even realizes that he's been manipulated, the vassal has already become exactly the demon that the Ashina need to defeat their foes. What's more, they still control the child that the demon wishes to protect.

-To top it all off, the Sculpter is actually Ashina Isshin, the founder of their clan and an Asura himself. Due to his fading power, he needed a successor, and that's Sekiro. This whole quest is secretly the Ashina grooming him to take over their army and reassert their dominance.

I know I could be totally off, but... this would be a pretty sick twist that marries the mythology with the game's lore really well.
It's not that you're totally off, it's that you're probably giving it way more thought that FROM are.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's not that you're totally off, it's that you're probably giving it way more thought that FROM are.
Any other writers, I'd totally agree, but From can get really wild. I've read doctoral dissertations on Bloodborne's story, and given that they're touting Sekiro as the first game where a more focused narrative will be showcased, I definitely expect them to be putting tons of thought into every development and plot point.

The relationships in the Souls games, largely relegated to the background, are filled with just as many bizarre motivations, complex lineages and fantastic betrayals.

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Any other writers, I'd totally agree, but From can get really wild. I've read doctoral dissertations on Bloodborne's story, and given that they're touting Sekiro as the first game where a more focused narrative will be showcased, I definitely expect them to be putting tons of thought into every development and plot point.

The relationships in the Souls games, largely relegated to the background, are filled with just as many bizarre motivations, complex lineages and fantastic betrayals.
Is it just a From Software thing to have vague stories where 75% of the narrative is told through item descriptions and eavesdropping on conversations?

Deleted member 18347

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What I got from their response to why multiplayer isn't in the game is that they wanted to focus on making these crazy vertical levels without having to worry about how multiple people can traverse together at once considering how they usually segment their levels.

Of course a workaround could've been devised but I'm sure it would've added a considerable amount of dev time.

And playing a From Soft game without messages/blood stains... as in going through it truly blind? That's something I never experienced and the thought of it is exciting.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
Just because multiplayer isn't a thing there still could be an sparse online component that allows for messages. Has this be confirmed?

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Wow how does From do this magic
God of war team says they take a year and lots of man power to make one boss fight. Go figure.

Their games focuses a lot on bosses and it's pretty much a From specialty by this point. They recently revealed that they had around 80-100 devs working on Sekiro so I agree that it's pretty impressive. I can understand Cory in some ways just purely based on the absolute insane production quality GoW has.

I just found this - it's a rip of a Dengeki PlayStation disc that has direct feed music of 3 tracks from Sekiro!

Cool, I am guessing it's going to be their usual composers on Sekiro (Kitamura, Saitoh).