• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017

In this exclusive Game Informer video, Ben Reeves volleys as many questions as possible to the legendary Sega designer Yu Suzuki about Shenmue III, the Dreamcast, Space Harrier, and much more.

Previous Game Informer Shenmue 3 media this week:

Shenmue 3 10-page feature in latest issue and new screenshots:

Shenmue III and their visit to Yu Suzuki is talked about in the latest GameInformer roundtable. Impressions video:

Shenmue 3 Travelogue with Yu Suzuki in Japan:

Last edited:

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
"Does he like the boys?"

*Yu Suzuki nods*

Ryo is a gay legend, I stan.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I actually binged all of these videos on youtube last nigh.

so damn fun

hope we get one with Neil Druckmann :D

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
"How can he speak to mainland Chinese people?"

"Because it's a game"

OP
OP
Ryo Hazuki

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
We will see Tom a little bit in Shenmue 3 confirmed. GOTY.

Not really any drastically new information but funny, lol.

"In one word what was Space Harrier about?"

"Shooting game"

"That's two words"

"Game"

Also:

"Is Lan Di just misunderstood?"

Suzuki: "Yes"

Kvj9UrE.png

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
He says Shenmue 3 will be a 7.5, then a 5 or 6.

Pack it up! No point buying it now!

Yu is a fraud!

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
"Why didn't you just wrap up Ryo's story in Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing?"

lmao. I have to say, all these rapid fire vids I've watched are absolute gold.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
"In one word, what was Space Harrier about?"
"Shooting game."
"That's two words."
"Game."

lmao

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
"Full House is the foundation of Shenmue."

Makes sense. I always assumed that Ryo was modeled after Uncle Jesse.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Lan Di is misunderstood?

Did he misunderstand his way to murdering Ryu's dad? Come on, fam.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
So excited to have Tom back xD Yu Suzuki is a treasure.

I thought that part was funny but maybe Iwao was a bad man himself....
Speculation:

I think Lan Di and Ryo are both being manipulated by the head of the Chi You Men who I think could be Yuanda Zhu.

Oct 30, 2017
That's also not the first time he's talked about the lady at the hotel being his favorite character. I love that he's that into a random NPC in the game.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I caught the podcast yesterday. Pretty fascinating stuff. I was very surprised by how much Nagoshi and Suzuki weren't seemingly really supportive of one another according to their respective titles according to the interview. It seemed (in my assuming mind at least) that they had a good relationship seeing a lot of similarities of the series to Shemue and considering the apparent inspiration from Nagoshi working with Suzuki on Shenmue. I'm also amazed at how the kickstarter came to be considering that Yu was ready to throw in the towel on the project. Overall pretty fun details about the background of how this game came to be in the podcast. Going to check out that vid later.

Romain

Senior Editor, Gameblog
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I caught the podcast yesterday. Pretty fascinating stuff. I was very surprised by how much Nagoshi and Suzuki weren't seemingly really supportive of one another according to their respective titles according to the interview. It seemed (in my assuming mind at least) that they had a good relationship seeing a lot of similarities of the series to Shemue and considering the apparent inspiration from Nagoshi working with Suzuki on Shenmue. I'm also amazed at how the kickstarter came to be considering that Yu was ready to throw in the towel on the project. Overall pretty fun details about the background of how this game came to be in the podcast. Going to check out that vid later.
"Fun" fact: Toshihiro Nagoshi doesn't like being asked about Shenmue. Doing so in an interview is the best way to piss him off an have him only give you short answers.

Blunoise

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
for the people keep asking why shenmue 3 isnt the last one needs to watch this video lol but again those people never read but only complain

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I love the thumbnail of that video.

Yu Suzuki is one of a kind, and after almost 20 years of not making a high-profile Shenmue game, he's only gone and shown that he still has what it takes. Thanks Game Informer. You can tell he gets so much joy from talking about his work and how much people love the series.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
"Fun" fact: Toshihiro Nagoshi doesn't like being asked about Shenmue. Doing so in an interview is the best way to piss him off an have him only give you short answers.
Wooow. So i guess it's fair to say they must've not ended their relationship on the best of terms then. Welp ig if that didn't happen maybe we wouldn't have gotten Yakuza.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Wooow. So i guess it's fair to say they must've not ended their relationship on the best of terms then. Welp ig if that didn't happen maybe we wouldn't have gotten Yakuza.
Definitely but Nagoshi said in an interview with Famitsu he has the highest respect for him and that he wouldn't be where he is today without Yu Suzuki. I'm sure it's a tough subject for both of them.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
This was great.

They probably just don't like being pitted against each other by the press so much. When the creator of either series doesn't really like that line of questioning, maybe it's time to stop.

Akasaki

Oct 27, 2017
You can clearly see that Yu likes to make games, he just likes what he does. It's a breath of fresh air to be honest. I for one hope that now that he returned for Shenmue 3, he keeps making games for a very long time. We need more people like him in this industry.