• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One Battle system, that afaik is Dead, but i would like to play in some game again is this one:

Legend of Legaia Battle system
Legend-of-Legaia.jpg

69yyqfec

legendoflegaia_hurricane_kick_by_d0nkrig.gif

Its like a kungfu jrpg turnbased

So what mechanic you liked in a game and you want to see again today?

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Additions system from Legend of Dragoon.
Relay Card Battle System from Baten Kaitos Origins.
Judgement Ring from Shadow Hearts 2.

Love me some turned based combat with interactive, multi attack battle systems.

tailDASHeF

Nov 7, 2017
Loot that means something in MMORPG's. IE. Everquest, Asheron's Call, etc.

This new +1 to STAT sucks.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Random Encounters and Turn Based Battles.

I guess I COULD play Pokemon :/

Oct 29, 2017
I miss visual car customization such as midnight club and nfs underground. I only really see it in realistic games like forza horizon. I thought the newer gens would bring in even crazier car customization but it's only gotten prettier

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Actual stealth mechanics.

Chaos Theory is so far ahead of today's games in terms of depth it's insane. You had so many options and so many systems to take into account. I enjoy action games that adopt the whole "hide in this conveniently placed tall grass" thing but it's a far cry from actual stealth games. I think Dishonored might be the only thing that comes close these days.

amokk0

Oct 27, 2017
That rolling HP meter from Earthbound where it takes some time for your HP to deplete.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Red Faction Guerrilla destruction, I want to see another game that focuses on destruction in combat.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Loot that means something in MMORPG's. IE. Everquest, Asheron's Call, etc.

This new +1 to STAT sucks.

To add to this I'd like to see equipment durability with permanent breaking. Equipment always means something, even if it's not the best there is. Player economy flourishes because things actually break and need to be remade.

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I was a huge fan of legend of legaia! The only problem is that battles too way too long for the frequency of battles you encounter. I think a battle system like that can still work though.

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Games that require weird controllers to play. Next best would be VR games that take advantage of motion controls for obtuse and overly complex movement systems with billions of options (for like a mech game, or a strategy game or something similar). I never played Steel Battalion but the idea has always appealed to me.

Freddo

Oct 27, 2017
SmĂĄland, Sweden

Chaos Theory is so far ahead of today's games in terms of depth it's insane. You had so many options and so many systems to take into account. I enjoy action games that adopt the whole "hide in this conveniently placed tall grass" thing but it's a far cry from actual stealth games. I think Dishonored might be the only thing that comes close these days.
I agree, and would love to see a worthy sequel to Thief 1&2.

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere...
Gonna mention LostMagic. I guess Takt of Magic is a decent sequel, but it fits much better on a touch screen imo. Taito is a shell at this point I don't think we'll ever get another release. :( Speaking of which, Ni no Kuni DS also had the rune-drawing, didn't it?

Oh, and FOF/Field of Fonon system from Tales of the Abyss.

Last edited:

Gun

Oct 27, 2017
I miss console rhythm games like Parappa and Bust a Groove. Had so much fun with them on the PS1 era

Grimsey

Nov 1, 2017
Fantasy RTS games with a "hero" system a la Warcraft 3.

Edit: Not talking MOBAs, they are very different beasts.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The army/castle system from Suikoden. I thought Dragon Age Inquisition was going for it with Skyhold, but...nope. They never actually fix that garbage-ass castle no matter how "power"ful you get.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017

Hitman does stealth well, as does Styx and DEADBOLT.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Not a game mechanic, but I would love to see more JRPG featuring adult protagonist and main cast. I loved Persona 2:EP for it because I can relate myself to a group of adults more than bunch of young teens. The last JRPG with adult main characters were Lost Odyssey? It's seriously such a rare thing to happen in JRPG. Even modern SMT games and the spinoff shy away from adult main characters. Star Ocean 5 apparently had a protag aged 25, but the game sucked anyway.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Not a game mechanic, but I would love to see more JRPG featuring adult protagonist and main cast. I loved Persona 2:EP for it because I can relate myself to a group of adults more than bunch of young teens. The last JRPG with adult main characters were Lost Odyssey? It's seriously such a rare thing to happen in JRPG. Even modern SMT games and the spinoff shy away from adult main characters. Star Ocean 5 apparently had a protag aged 25, but the game sucked anyway.

This. Please. I'm so sick of teenagers and high school cliches in my JRPGs.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Hitman does stealth well, as does Styx and DEADBOLT.
Hitman has a different vibe because you're often hiding in plain sight or just going wild with experimentation. I'd say the newest Hitman doesn't really dumb down the mechanics found in past games like Blood Money which is definitely a good thing. I do prefer the story and structure of the older games though. Styx is another great franchise that reminds me of the old Prince of Persia games mixed with a bit of Splinter Cell. I still feel a void left by games like Snake Eater and Chaos Theory though.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Not a mechanic per se but expansion packs, they are so rare nowadays. Nothing like the good ol' Blizzard expansions.

Science!

Oct 30, 2017
I miss squad control mechanics in single player games. Something like the squad commands in Star Wars: Rogue Squadron or Republic Commandos.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
One Battle system, that afaik is Dead, but i would like to play in some game again is this one:

Legend of Legaia Battle system
Its like a kungfu jrpg turnbased

Only played Legaia 2 but yes it was fun. But damn it was slow. A auto mode when fighting against easy enemies would have been nice.

Otherwise cheatcodes is an obvious one. Tony Hawk hade a bunch of funny ones back in the days. Uncharted series has some funny modes but not unlocked by cheatcodes.

Then I could list a number of features like character recruitment, castle building and army battles in JRPG:s but I would just be wishing for Suikoden to come back.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
Earthbounds and mother 3s rolling health bars and, in the latter, rhythmic combo systems.

So good, really intense too in regards to the rolling health bar!

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Xenogears Combat system where you learn new moves based on repetition of light/medium/heavy attacks, with a move list that expands as you get more powerful. It even allows for you to start learning new skills before you have the AP to perform them.
7-citan16.jpg