• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
1. Hades - I've been a Supergiant fan since the original Xbox release of Bastion, and even with my high expectations for their titles, this one still floored me. They took a genre I have always had problems with, rogue-likes, and made it into something I actively wanted to come back to day after day. The writing is fantastic, the gameplay is even better. Hades is the culmination of everything SG has done up 'til now, and it deserves that #1 spot.

2. Ghost of Tsushima - Another great open world from Sucker Punch. The combat is satisfying and the visuals are beyond compare. If not for a bit of filler content to fill out the map, this probably would have been my #1.

3. Half-Life: Alyx - The best VR game hands down. I still need to go back and do a third run it's just a joy to be in that world. I missed Valve games.

4. Cyberpunk 2077 - I spent most of the year expecting this game to follow the Witcher 3's path and become my new GOTY and make it onto my personal GOAT list. Sadly, we all know how badly they dropped the ball in releasing it when they did. With that said, I was still able to enjoy most of what they created, and the game is one of the prettiest when run on a beefy PC. Still holding out hope for the patches to really improve things, but the ship has sailed for this game ever making it onto my GOAT list. By far the most disappointing game of the year for me, but that's just because of sky-high expectations.

5. Factorio - Played this game for years, glad to finally get to put it on the list. Did not play it A LOT in 2020, but all the time before makes it more than worth the #5 spot.

6. Ori and the Will of the Wisps - Another terrific Metroidvania from Moon Studios. The first Ori was fun, but the expanded moveset here really elevated the experience.

7. Animal Crossing: New Horizons - Normally not my kind of game, but hit at the perfect time during the pandemic, and ended up putting in over 100 hours just tooling around our island. The piss poor multiplayer experience kept this from being higher on the list.

8. Demon's Souls - I barely played this on the PS5, but it's the Demon's Souls I've loved since 2009 (only prettier and better controlling), so it goes on this list as well.

9. Bugsnax - A terrific little puzzle / adventure game with some dark twists and tons of charm. Had a lot more potential, but still a fun experience.

10. Carrion - Loved the feel of controlling the beast as it slides and slithers its way around the base. A poor map system made it easy to get lost (or to know where to go next), so that led to way more backtracking than I would have liked. Still a very unique experience.

1. [PC] [Roguelike] [Supergiant Games] Hades
  2. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Sucker Punch Productions] Ghost of Tsushima
  3. [PC] [Shooter] [Valve] Half-Life: Alyx
  4. [PC] [Action RPG] [CD Projekt] Cyberpunk 2077
  5. [PC] [Simulation] [Wube Software] Factorio
  6. [PC] [Metroidvania] [Moon Studios] Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  7. [Switch] [Simulation] [Nintendo] Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  8. [PS5] [Action RPG] [BluePoint Games] Demon's Souls
  9. [PS5] [Adventure] [Young Horses] Bugsnax
  10. [PC] [Horror] [Phobia Game Studio] Carrion

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
1. Final Fantasy VII Remake - Final Fantasy is my life. This remake hit all the right spots for me: the music, characters, story, etc. It was such a good nostalgia trip. It fleshed out one of the best sections from the original game with a great battle system.

2. Spider-Man: Miles Morales - A solid successor to Spider-Man. In fact, this game has none of the issues I had with the original game. Very short but pretty much no filler campaign.

3. Animal Crossing: New Horizons - A charming and relaxing game. It's so adorable and easily accessible. It's one of the few games I can pick up and play with my non-gamer friends since they find it cute and fun.

4. Astro's Playroom - Another great nostalgia trip. A very solid platformer that shows off the features of the Dualsense controller. It's so damn short though, so I'm waiting for a full blown sequel.

5. Resident Evil 3 Remake - A great but short remake of a PlayStation classic. It has damn good visuals, a pretty much all killer, no-filler campaign which makes it perfect for speedruns. The only downsides are the length, and the fact that it had to come out a year after the amazing RE2.

6. Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout - Another game I can pick up and relax after a long day of work. It's so much fun competing with 59 other players to win. The only downside are a few lame team matches.

1. [PS4] [Action RPG] [Square Enix] Final Fantasy VII Remake
  2. [PS5] [Action Adventure] [Insomniac Games] Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  3. [Switch] [Simulation] [Nintendo] Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  4. [PS5] [Platformer] [Sony Interactive Entertainment] Astro's Playroom
  5. [PS4] [Survival Horror] [Capcom] Resident Evil 3 Remake
  6. [PS4] [Party] [Mediatonic] Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout

wideface

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hidamari Apartments
1. The Last of Us Part II - It kept me at the edge of my seat through the whole thing. Great story, gameplay, characters, AI, sound design, accessibility options.

2.Demon's souls - An impressive remake of one of my favorite games of all time.

3. Ghost of Tsushima - A visually stunning game I was surprised to see run so well. Just the right length, with excellent combat and a "lethal mode" that feels great.

4. Hades - Roguelikes are one of my favorite kind of games, and Supergiant Games has created an amazing one with great characters, music and dialogues.

5. Persona 5 Royal - I'm not quite done playing it, but I think this improved, less grindy version of Persona 5 deserves a spot in the top 5.

6. Animal Crossing: New Horizons - Loved the game but comparing my own island to other people's islands was honestly demoralizing, plus terraforming and the time it takes to move things around to get the island to look just the way you want left me feeling overwhelmed. Still my favorite Nintendo franchise.

7. Spelunky 2 - A sequel to a perfect game with endless replayability. Not much else to say.

8. Ori and the Will of the Wisps - Beautiful visuals and music, fun.

9. Spider-Man: Miles Morales - I enjoyed this game more than I expected and will replay it eventually to obtain the platinum trophy. Zipping continues to be gaming's most fun way of traversal.

10. Astro's Playroom - Cute and fun.

1. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Naughty Dog] The Last of Us Part II
  2. [PS5] [Action RPG] [BluePoint Games] Demon's Souls
  3. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Sucker Punch Productions] Ghost of Tsushima
  4. [PC] [Roguelike] [Supergiant Games] Hades
  5. [PS4] [RPG] [Atlus] Persona 5 Royal
  6. [Switch] [Simulation] [Nintendo] Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  7. [PS4] [Platformer] [Mossmouth] Spelunky 2
  8. [PC] [Metroidvania] [Moon Studios] Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  9. [PS5] [Action Adventure] [Insomniac Games] Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  10. [PS5] [Platformer] [Sony Interactive Entertainment] Astro's Playroom

Sneaky Gato

Oct 27, 2017
1. Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity: at a time in the year when I desperately needed to destress this was the game for me. I loved what it did for Zeldas character and exploring the world was a treat. I've bounced off previous Warrior games including the zelda ones so to see how good this was a treat.

2. Star Wars: Squadrons: to see a serious attempt at space flight sim game play was an utter joy after it being gone for so long. To see its success makes me hope for more like it in the future.

3. Animal Crossing : New Horizons: this was the game I played with my sister and she loved it. At a time when it seemed everything was on edge this was a great binding experiance.

4. Umurangi Generation: No other game on this list speaks to the moment of now like this one does. Incredibly powerful especially the DLC.

5. Streets of Rage 4: just a lovely throwback that underscores just how hard it is to do something like that.

6. Hades: having bounces off rogue likes before this felt like the first one that 8 genuinely enjoyed and it was all down to its incredible presentation.

7. Moon: I'd heard of moon before but to actually get a chance to play it almost felt like unwrapping an ancient relic in all the best ways. Seeing how it influences future game designers was a treat.

8. Immortals: Fenyx Rising: I maintain that it is an awful name and that the original was better but the world needs more BOTW in it.

9. Yakuza: Like a dragon: just a really interesting look at how RPGs can be done.

10. Tony Hawk 1+2: look this pick is all about that soundtrack.

1. [Switch] [Hack and slash] [Omega Force] Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
  2. [PC] [Space combat] [Motive Studios] Star Wars: Squadrons
  4. [PC] [Simulation] [ORIGAME DIGITAL] Umurangi Generation
  5. [Switch] [Beat 'em up] [DotEmu] Streets of Rage 4
  6. [Switch] [Roguelike] [Supergiant Games] Hades
  7. [Switch] [RPG] [Onion Games] Moon: Remix RPG Adventure
  8. [Switch] [Action Adventure] [Ubisoft] Immortals Fenyx Rising
  9. [PC] [RPG] [Sega] Yakuza: Like a Dragon
  10. [PC] [Sports] [Vicarious Visions] Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
1. Hades - I played this game until my hands wanted to fall off.
2. Final Fantasy VII Remake - I have no idea what was happening and it was great.
3. Ori and the Will of the Wisps - Immaculate in both controls and visuals.
4. Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 30 minutes a day makes the creeping dread go away.
5. Spider-Man: Miles Morales - What if they just replaced Peter Parker with Miles in everything.
6. Ghost of Tsushima - game purty
7. Astro's Playroom - This is the best use of the Dualsense, and it will remain that way for the entirety of the PS5's lifecycle.
8. Bugsnax - SNOOPY BANOOPY
9. Assassin's Creed Valhalla - I've played a lot of this game, which logically makes it good.(?)
10. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim - I probably should have played more of this but it's pretty.

1. [PC] [Roguelike] [Supergiant Games] Hades
  2. [PS4] [Action RPG] [Square Enix] Final Fantasy VII Remake
  3. [PC] [Metroidvania] [Moon Studios] Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  4. [Switch] [Simulation] [Nintendo] Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  5. [PS5] [Action Adventure] [Insomniac Games] Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  6. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Sucker Punch Productions] Ghost of Tsushima
  7. [PS5] [Platformer] [Sony Interactive Entertainment] Astro's Playroom
  8. [PS4] [Adventure] [Young Horses] Bugsnax
  9. [PS5] [Action RPG] [Ubisoft] Assassin's Creed Valhalla
  10. [PS4] [Adventure] [Vanillaware] 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
0. Super Smash Bros. Melee: Slippi Online: Okay, so this can't actually count as a game released this year. It's a fork of an emulator designed to be used on a video game released in 2001. But it's my favorite gaming thing of the year. It allowed us to continue to play the best game ever in a competitively viable environment during a global pandemic and revolutionized the competitive scene for one of the biggest fighting games in the world. I have never in my life played a fighting game with online as seemless as this. Just hop on and you can find a match with anyone. Feels nearly lagless if you have a good connection. The community's relatively good too. This turns your computer into an endless friendlies session, like the friendlies CRT section at Genesis suddenly became nonstop, 365 days a year 24/7. And Melee's well...Melee. It has the greatest movement, character designs, combo system, and gamefeel of any game ever made. And now it's online. Praise be to Fizzi.

1. Streets of Rage 4 - I like the Streets of Rage games, but I don't think about them much. I didn't play them when they were originally released on the Genesis; during the early days of the Wii I tried out various Virtual Console games and the entire trilogy were some of the standouts of the games I played in that time period. SoR2 in particular is one of my favorite beat em ups, but I don't remember much about it or think about it. When I realized Streets of Rage 4 was coming out this year, I said "that's cool," didn't think much of it, and impulsively ordered a physical copy on Limited Run Games a little while later. I accidentally ordered it with a couple other things that got delayed, so I didn't get my copy until December. When it finally came in I went in with no real expectations and an open mind. But I don't think I was expecting Game of the Year, especially since I wasn't a huge fan of the Wonder Boy remake Lizardcube did.

Streets-of-Rage-4-b.jpg

Streets of Rage 4 is a goddamn masterpiece. It's the perfect beat em up, the game I didn't think could be possibly designed. It has one of the most ingenious difficulty systems ever. You take point penalties for needing extra lives on stages. With the max penalties, even people unfamiliar with the genre could probably finish this, but they'll get the nagging feeling that they need to get better. It silently communicates to unskilled players that the way they play the game is okay, but that you're not exploring the full extent of the game's mechanics by doing so. It's the little things with this game that count; the food placements that feel perfectly tuned to be just frequent enough. The later, more bulky enemies that take a lot of hits, but not too many hits. It's a game that feels like it was finely and perfectly tuned in every respect, to create an experience that feels fair and balanced.

The combat is the epitome of "easy to learn, difficult to master". This isn't a fighting game with explicitly complex combo trees to remember, but it is something where you have to learnt he nuances of your character's movement and frame data to succeed. This is also a game that masters the simple act of stringing together attacks, which feels simply delightful.

I also just have to say, in a year as shitty as 2020, beating up cops as a punk woman of color with a guitar felt sick as hell. This was the game I needed at the end of this trashfire year.

2. Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Megamix - When the split Joycons on the original Switch were originally unveiled, my first thought was "that seems fucking annoying for most games, but it would rule to have proper buttons for your left hand for a Project Diva game". Now we have one and I was 100% right. Megamix is really just a remixed version of Future Tone with a tweaked songlist and a couple extra features that don't actually entice me that much (the motion controls mode kinda sucks tbh), but playing this game on the Switch is perfect. Now I can use my left hand for buttons! Huzzah! It's also great to have Project Diva back on a portable, which is where the franchise belongs, at least to me.

Otherwise not much to say. Some of the new tracks are fuckin bangers though. Alien Alien and Music 39s rule and I listen to them a lot outside of this game now. It's just really solid Miku gameplay; not much else to say here other than that I had a lot of fun with this one.

3. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX - I've been kinda down in the dumps about Pokemon these days, but I have a huge soft spot for the original Mystery Dungeon games. I know most people prefer the sequel, especially Explorers of Sky which is a legitimately great game, but the originals just had this wholesome, homely vibe that none of the others in the franchise captured. Rescue Team DX takes that base game and adds a fuckton of quality of life improvements on top of it, including making the movesets of your Pokemon much more customizable and making ranged attacks properly ranged. The ends result is a game that's, at least to me, the definitive Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game. I don't usually include remakes of this stature in my year end list, but I just had so much fun with this one that I felt inclined to.

4. Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 - Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 is really just more of the same, with the core gameplay from the first largely unchanged. But the first was an extremely solid game, and the sequel provides an even more expansive adventure mode and wacky bonus modes to mess around with. If Sega keeps making these games without touching the formula, I'll keep putting them on my lists year after year because they'll never stop being excellent. The Tetris gameplay here specifically really is some of the strongest in any Tetris game since the Grandmaster series. After playing both the original's Japanese and English release I didn't expect to get into PPT again, and yet I have. Though the online base is uh....way better than it was when I played the original on the Vita, and I can't keep up at all. Oh well.

d5397-3675-885074-0.jpg

5. Trials of Mana - If I'd have to describe Trials of Mana in one sentence, it'd be that it's "a game that knows how to show restraint". This isn't a game with big, flashy, showy visuals, nor is it a game very expansive in scope. But it is a game that never steps out of the boundaries of what it's supposed to be. It's a reimagining of an SNES classic on a budget, reimagined in 3D with revamped combat and quality of life improvements. So many other RPGs (I'm looking at you Final Fantasy VII Remake) seem to shoot for the moon and miss their mark. While I respect that ambition, Trials of Mana ends up being an excellently paced little RPG with consistently enjoyable, consumable dungeons and combat segments that never draw on for too long. The bosses here are especially intelligently devised, with attack patterns that are challenging to deal with but completely readable. Also, I have to shout out the "shadows on the ground indicating where attacks will be" system, which is a) genius, b) works perfectly as intended, and c) something that needs to be adopted by more RPGs.

I also just have to say that I really enjoyed playing a Mana game after all of these years? I was too young to have known about the series in its peak. When Sword of Mana came out everyone called it a disappointing remake of the first game. But "disappointing" was also a descriptor I heard about seemingly every subsequent entry in the series, so I never picked one up. Even when Secret came out on the Wii Virtual Console I heard lots saying it didn't age well. It's finally nice to have a game in the series that's well received after all these years. I almost didn't think to pick it up because I've always been put off the Mana series, but then I remembered that the reason for that is literally just because of the fan reception to every single game prior to this one.

Trials isn't perfect. The story is some cliched stuff, and the combat is a bit too floaty. But if both of those things were fixed this absolutely would have been an all-timer.

6. Kingdom Hearts: Memory of Melody - How is Theatrhythm: Kingdom Hearts? The answer is "pretty damn good"! I don't have as much fondness for Kingdom Hearts music as I do Final Fantasy music (though I do prefer the KH soundtracks to Dragon Quest, so that aspect of it was better than the Theatrhythm Dragon Quest game), and I missed the touch screen controls of the DS games, but otherwise this was super solid. Has all of the memorable KH tunes and covers the games' stories in a way that's surprisingly digestible. It also gets harder on higher difficulties than I expected, which was a nice surprise. Otherwise there's not much to say. It really is just another Theatrhythm game, which is good with me.

7. Among Us - I think that when people look back on 2020, more than anything they're going to think of the three games that went viral last year: Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Fall Guys, and Among Us. One of those games was a game that stripped all of the remaining heart and soul out of a long running franchise and turned it into a skinner box where the player was just motivated merely by crafting things and decorating their island. One of those was another battle royale game, this time a platformer, but one with kinda janky physics and a sense of humor that loses its appeal an hour in.

And then there was Among Us. To be honest I didn't "get" Among Us at first; as far as party games go I didn't get why you'd play it instead of Mafia. The tasks just seemed like a superfluous addition to the formula. Eventually I started watching more streams where they'd play it and eventually it clicked. Even though every aspect of Among Us doesn't play well together, it works because they're all fun. The tasks are superfluous, but they're fun little minigames that give players something extra to observe and give those who have been knocked out of the game something to do. The fact of being the imposter turns the game into a stealth game that's simple but deviously fun in a way that stealth games rarely are for me.

Unfortunately, I don't have friends, so I couldn't put a ton of time into Among Us. But I did have fun smashing the dumb kids in the lobbies and either tricking them or figuring them out. Take that, 12 year olds!

8. Paradise Killer - When I was playing Paradise Killer and sorting my thoughts about this game out, a lot of negative things came up. It's a game with a dogshit map system that doesn't give you nearly enough information. It's a game with characters that are interesting, but feel so removed from our reality that they're hard to relate to. I was also told this is a DanganRonpa-esque game, which it is in terms of the aesthetic I guess, but in terms of gameplay it's sort of like Myst meets the investigation sections in Ace Attorney I suppose. But even in those terms it's not that great; the game's "puzzles" are mostly solved by just wandering around the island and finding the right thing by happenstance. And you don't do a whole lot of logical inferring, at least until the very end of the game kind of.

And yet, despite all of these negative thoughts, I couldn't put the game down. When I did, I couldn't stop thinking about it until I finished it.

Paradise-KIller-3.jpg

So why is that? Well, the game has a fucking incredible aesthetic, one that kicks so much ass it's almost unfair. A "vaporwave demonic DanganRonpa-esque HP Lovecraft-inspired" aesthetic just sounds like a salad of words thrown together at complete random, but it miraculously comes together and creates something cohesive and mesmerizing. I never got tired of looking at the island this game takes place on. And the soundtrack....it's the best soundtrack in a video game since Persona 5 and I have absolutely no qualifiers. I listen to it all the time when working now. I've probably listened to every song in this game dozens if not hundreds of times now and I'm still in awe of how good this shit sounds. That saxophone player is a fucking legend.

I never thought I'd compare a game inspired by Ace Attorney/DanganRonpa to Breath of the Wild of all things, but that's what exploring the island in Paradise Killer reminded me of. Finding all of the blood vials and collectables on the island never got tiring, and the only other game to make me feel that way is BotW. It's something where the mere act of exploring is just inherently joyful and fun. There's a lot of platforming in here and while it's not amazing platforming, Love Dies is a fun enough character to move around with that it works well. The island is also small enough to never feel overwhelmed, which is usually a big problem for me and open world exploration-focused games.

And even though I have my qualms with the story....idk, something nebulous about it works for me. It's never surprising but the lore is consistently interesting to learn about, though it's a bit convoluted in some needless ways. The game also depicts some surprisingly adult relationships and subjects in a way I just haven't seen much of.

Paradise Killer is just a crazy game. It's one I have a lot of issues with but if I had to pick a most memorable game of the year I'd choose it fairly confidently.

9. Granblue Fantasy Versus - Forgot this game came out this year? I did too honestly, until I relooked over a list of 2020 games. It's from that bizarre pre-pandemic period of 2020. DBFV melds the fast paced action of a airdash fighter with a more footsies-focused Street Fighter game pretty seemlessly. It has a lot of new mechanics that make the game pretty approachable for newcomers but never dumb it down, including an input system that I think works pretty intelligently. The game has a really robust single player with RPG mechanics that are a lot more solid than I'd expect out of a game like this. Really just a complete and satisfying package. Unfortunately one that never really got to develop much because it released without rollback netcode in a world that was about to go into a global pandemic. There may never be a true Granblue Fantasy Versus competitive scene, which is really unfortunate, because it's one of ASW's better fighting games in a while.

Also, I have to say, a lot of people probably don't care about this but it felt really special to see a trans woman who ISN'T on HRT and still "presents" male in a video game. I never in a million years would have expected to see that in an Arc System Works fighting game but it's here and it owns. I first picked Ladiva because she was the character who fit the style I wanted to play with (grappler) and I literally said to myself "man, now that I know I'm probably trans it feels a little weird to play masc characters in games like this". Then someone used she/her pronouns to refer to her on a win screen, I looked her up on the GBF Wiki, and I immediately felt like a fool, one who couldn't believe that a character like this actually exists. Of course she's not perfect representation but I mean....that moment of realizing just how wrong I was when I incorrectly assumed her gender, and that she's literally a character who is like me, felt awesome.

10. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 - I loved the first Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon. It was one of the biggest surprises of 2018, a return to the classic Castlevania style that felt completely faithful to that type of game. I wasn't sure how to feel about the new character switching mechanic; it made the stages feel less perfect in their simplicity, since they were no longer tailored for specific hitboxes/hurtboxes. But otherwise the game was pitch perfect Classicvania.

I straight up forgot Curse of the Moon 2 existed, and found out about it when reading over a list of 2020 games. I must have read about it in a news article or something, but it slipped my mind. It seemed no one was talking about it. I figured it was a disappointment that might be worth skipping, but I checked the reviews and they were fairly positive. So a several days ago I decided to take the plunge and buy it.

Well it's......no Curse of the Moon 1. The less balanced stage designs are even more of an issue here. The characters just feel so different and large swaths of the game feel "wrong" if you're not using a specific one. The game just feels less well balanced and well tuned. It's definitely flawed. And yet, it has some moments that are pretty damn incredible. Mostly the bosses, which are a really dope spectacle and remind me of the best Treasure games in how dynamic their animations and attack patterns are. Some of the characters are also just a lot of fun to play around with (using a gun in a classic style Castlevania is way more fun than it has any right to be). So yeah, just barely good enough to make my list.

X. A Short Hike - When I finished A Short Hike I was incredibly positive on it. It's a game with fantastic game feel, good vibes, and a heartfelt little story. It's a game that doesn't waste the player's time; it shows its cards and then leaves. It's also a game that borrows the iconography of the Animal Crossing series to make something that's full of more soul than the actual Animal Crossing game that released last year. I wanted to call it the best 1 hour of gameplay all year. And yet....it's faded from memory remarkably quickly. It just hasn't stuck with me at all. It was too lacking in substance to strike any kind of a longterm chord for me. Maybe putting Curse of the Moon 2 over this is recency bias, but we'll see.

X. Fuser - Fuser fuckin' rules! It's a game about mashing up All-Star with the Sign with Rock the Casbah with Better Now with Never Gonna Give You Up with Blinding Lights. Harmonix really hit on something worth while here. Unfortunately the core gameplay in the campaign is a bit too strict and not freeform enough, but I'm not really creative enough for using this game just purely as a mashup creator. If it wasn't for that though this would have ranked relatively highly, it's just bananas and a lot of fun. Probably my favorite non-Rock Band thing Harmonix has done.

X. Super Mario 3D All-Stars - I'm going to go on record and say I don't think this game is the rip-off everyone else seems to think it is. SM64 is 10$ on all Virtual Console services and SMS/SMG are more than 20$ second hand. It's not a steal or anything but I was willing to pay full price to get these all on a portable system.

I'm not ranking it because it didn't come out this year, but finally getting 120 stars in Super Mario 64 after having watched dozens and dozens of 120 star speedruns and never being able to do it as a kid was one of my favorite gaming experiences of the year. That game's movement mechanics are still a blast and the objectives are excellently well thought out. It's even better than I remember in some respects. Rainbow Ride 100 coin star can fuck off forever though.

1. [Switch] [Beat 'em up] [DotEmu] Streets of Rage 4
  2. [Switch] [Rhythm] [Sega] Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Mega Mix
  3. [Switch] [Roguelike] [Spike Chunsoft] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX
  4. [Switch] [Puzzle] [Sega] Puyo Puyo Tetris 2
  5. [Switch] [Action RPG] [Square Enix] Trials of Mana
  6. [Switch] [Rhythm] [Square Enix] Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory
  7. [PC] [Party] [Innersloth] Among Us
  8. [PC] [Adventure] [Kaizen Game Works] Paradise Killer
  9. [PS4] [Fighting] [Arc System Works] Granblue Fantasy Versus
  10. [Switch] [Platformer] [Inti Creates] Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2
  11. [Switch] [Adventure] [adamgryu] A Short Hike
  12. [PC] [Rhythm] [Harmonix] Fuser
  13. [Switch] [Platformer] [Nintendo] Super Mario 3D All-Stars

Last edited:

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
1. Cyberpunk 2077- An absolute mess of a game. Full of half baked ideas, cardboard constructed lifeless vast space to explore, and mishmash of tepid gunplay/hacking/driving. And yet, I spent many hours exploring to my life's content – engaging in typical Ubisoft mindless checklist quests, listening to irritable quips by Keanu, and observing the insane Raytracing effects. There's a neon glow I enjoy, and it's pretty damn stunning on capable hardware. But like most things, you've got to strip out the transphobia embedded on street advertisements, the general disappointment of the lack of meaningful choice in the story, and a bizarre clash of open world failings of every attempt since GTA III. Quickhacking and slowing down time to slice everything in sight with the paper thin weight of strange hit collision, along with double jumping to climb skyscrapers made for some really unique adventures before falling through the world map. For all the gripes I have, I heartily enjoyed playing Fashion "Now That's Punk" when my character's nipples were not clipping through the textured layered mess. I'd say the feeling of listening to Royal Blue Radio while cruising through Pacifica is glorious, until your character T-poses on a bike with nothing on. For every slight hint of brilliance, the game is encased with the creaking of a game rushed with no real set of accomplishments. Special note must be made to the abhorrent social media campaign, the absolute failures of their Studio heads to kill to their developers. I'm thankful this skeleton of a thing exists, I find myself enjoying the lifeless city to explore and make my own fun in. And for that, above all like everything gaudy, is appealing to me. I've never been shy about enjoying the city as a background – titles like L.A. Noire and Mafia II, the only problem is it's not 2010 anymore. As more is being discovered about this developmental hell, I can say that over the course of a hundred plus hours I'm still watching policemen disappear and NPCs cowering in place with no set route path to follow.

2. The Last of Us II- In my restless dreams, I see that Aquarium. The story (which felt like the most compelling factor in the first title) is truly atrocious. And the emotional manipulation can rival that of David Cage's finest ghost sex moments. While the narrative pacing is as languid as it can be, the characterizations of both Ellie and Abby grow immensely over the course of a seemingly endless journey. If you don't enjoy the heft of shooting, brutality and the dog killing of the game – it loses it's appeal. Thankfully, for every set piece encounter and slow survival hunt, I practiced and engaged with some of the most violent and disturbing action in any videogame. I think the complaints against Abby are unjust, I also think the convenience of the cycles of revenge in the game's tale leaves a lot to be desired. The addition of Yara and Lev are the best parts of the story, and I hope we can see a new quest with Lev at the forefront. I think the descent into madness with Abby in Day 2 was my highlight of the year, and her arsenal and physical presence is very endearing when ripping human and clickers alike. Special note must be made for Sataolalla's score – some of the most haunting and brilliant music ever incorporated in any artistic medium. With Ellie, I heartily enjoyed killing every single person involved that she wanted revenge against. With Abby, I enjoyed her transition and growth alongside Lev to their inevitable confrontation with Ellie. I think the decision to let us freely explore Downtown Seattle in Day 1 like that in Lost Legacy was so refreshing, and I think Naughty Dog continue to have the best third person shooting mechanics and gameplay in the whole industry. Ellie playing that cover on guitar, the trip to the Museum – these are the moments that are so brilliant and wonderful, the quiet moments that Naughty Dog expresses excellence. While I didn't love the messiness of the entire tale, the quiet moments were truly captivating and blew me away.

3. Mafia: Definitive Edition- Lost Heaven Racing on Classic forever. The original Mafia game is one of my favorite games ever created – a strange time where immersion of an open world space with brutal physics based gunplay shined in equal measure. I really love Hangar 13, I know they don't have the best reputation but they made such a stunning Remake of this title. I love their rain and reflection technology too- I don't know if that's SSR mixed with Cube mapping but it looks so brilliant. The vehicle physics on Simulation rival that of the genre's best open world driving next to the King GTA IV for me. The gunplay was punchy and tight in execution, and felt insanely good to try out different weapons throughout the level based adventure. The fireworks shootout during Happy Birthday! Was one of the highlights of the year for me. The number of really fun outfits, and insanely creative mission types in the Free Ride mode kept me solidly entertained for nearly fifty hours. It's my city that I like to decompress and drive around in, and their Ultrawide implementation was stunning. The tale of Salieri's gang and their eternal mishaps is timeless to me- and as someone who replays the original annually, this was a dream Remake come true. Second to Resident Evil 2 Remake, as one of the most important games of my life.

4. Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020- In a year mixed with fear, death and anxiety concerning the endless amount of pain this pandemic caused, it felt like a such nice respite casually flying across the world in a variety of different aircrafts. I don't claim to be nothing more than a casual flight sim fan, and the accessibility and breezy sense of adventure in this title were much appreciated. Setting real time weather to explore the smaller areas around the United States I have been too in real life, and then finding my way across endless continents I may never see, continuously captivated hours of my time. I think Asobo's engine is the most impressive technology I have ever interacted with – there are so many places to just hop in a plane and take an extensive number of screenshots admiring the beauty of their creations of the world. I think hooking up a nice flight stick and throttle gave me the peripheral sense of joy I was lacking while locked inside, and I'm eternally grateful for it. The year was very difficult, and at times these apartment walls felt truly like a prison – humbled to be healthy, and alive and for Flight Sim to let me travel as someone who hasn't done enough of it in my life.

5. Half-Life: Alyx – It's Grabbity BIH. Valve's attempt at creating one of the most immersive and exciting VR titles ever worked in spades for me. The locomotion options, the incredible kickback and upgrades for the arsenal, the small animations for loading a clip or flinging ammo to your gloves – these mechanics have to be played to be appreciated. I had an old Oculus Rift S that I plugged in, and I did not regret it a single bit. I have to play sitting down, I'm older and not as agile, and I had to play short bursts to build VR legs again after playing nothing but Tetris Effect the whole year. The changes in voice acting they announced left me a little worried but the new cast is astounding. I think the sensation of slapping a headcrab away and the dread of something lurking around a door in VR is so much more enhanced with a headset; it makes me enviable that PC players never got the REVII experience we deserved. The best VR experience I've had since Lone Echo, and I love jumping back in every now and then to explore such a wonderful title.

6. A Summer's End: Hong Kong 1986 – Lovers in the Neon 80's is everything I ever wanted and needed. There's something about a good visual novel that always is so delightful, and this was the best. The awkwardness of interaction, the real technical ability to capture emotional moments of the ineffable, the depiction of characters slowly falling for one another. It almost makes me want to fall in love again, after some heavy relationship failure in my own life. The scene of Sam dancing, as the lights pulsate in the background – blissful, truly divine. I think coming of age and finding yourself is a lifelong struggle, and this game let me cherish it through the eyes of an independent woman discovering herself so beautifully. With the hardship of reconciling her own culture, family and individual understandings of what she wanted, I loved everything about this game.

7. Call of Duty: Warzone – Die, repeat, die again. It's been awhile since a Call of Duty game really entranced me. I do the same thing every year- I buy it, prestige in Multiplayer once during the year, and then its on to the next one. I think this overhauled MW engine was such an important evolution for the series, and to see it integrated so wildly in Battle Royale (which I never liked) made me intrigued. Every night, my little Cousin would call me and beg me to play and I resisted until he showed me what it involved. And it's been a ton of enjoyment and late night fuckery through Battle passes and combat since. I also think it's allowed us to become a lot closer, and I'm so thankful for that. Bonding over getting shot in Train, or yelling about loadouts freezing or enemies breaching a house- who would've thought.

8. Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate- Jade Down 2, over and over. Playing this upgraded version on the PS5 is truly a joy. The upgrades and character additions have made this game one of my favorite fighting games ever – I'm still terrible, but the gore and hilarity keep me endlessly enthralled. I think Netherrealm have some of the best use of HDR in any format, and the background stages I find myself marveling over every time I load it up. I also think the continuous support and cross beta multiplayer were such welcome additions, it's a strange thought but I spent most of my time with the new console playing this overhauled fighting masterpiece. I hope we get another set of characters, they've done such a terrific job with outfits, story expansion, and new movesets.

9. DOOM Eternal – I loved Doom 2016, and I think I love this iteration more. Even the platforming! These wider levels to eviscerate demons in, with the Mick Gordon riffs blaring in the background – nothing compares to it. The game came out in March, and I was able to build a new PC to finally start enjoying it properly otherwise it would've been top of my list. It's such a cerebral shooter, and all the hellish redesigns of old enemy friends and the evil landscapes just do wonders for me. This Bethesda id team create my favorite shooters, and this is just such a brilliant sequel in the franchise. I just want more time with it, and to explore it in its entirety.

10. Ghost of Tsushima – Feel that wind, find that fox. There is no game more beautiful in art direction than this for me. The combat standoffs are so cinematic and so lovable. It was hard for me because I felt like I was trapped in cycles of Ubisoft like collectathons – between this, Cyberpunk, Valhalla, and Immortals. And I got to the third island and I needed a break, because I'm obsessive about collecting everything and platinuming.I think Jin is amazing, and the Japanese voice option was so important for me. The outfit and arsenal upgrades are so amazing in creating different play styles and I had a ton of peace exploring tales and clearing camps to collect it all. Once I finish it, I'm sure I'll appreciate it way more, and with that PS5 upgrade I shall be returning very soon.

11. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2- So here I am, doing everything I can! The most important games of my youth, stunningly reimagined with such an impressive fashion while retaining all the best soundtrack highlights? Color me super impressed, I just want 3+4 also, I need all of this in my veins.

I wish I got to play Yakuza Like A Dragon and 13 Sentinels, these are the games I've just picked up and will be enjoying for the next couple months. I can not wait. A hard year, and grateful for all the wonderful titles I was able to experience and enjoy!

1. [PC] [Action RPG] [CD Projekt] Cyberpunk 2077
  2. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Naughty Dog] The Last of Us Part II
  3. [PC] [Action Adventure] [Hangar 13] Mafia II: Definitive Edition
  4. [PC] [Flight simulator] [Asobo Studio] Microsoft Flight Simulator
  5. [PC] [Shooter] [Valve] Half-Life: Alyx
  6. [PC] [Visual Novel] [Oracle and Bone] A Summer's End - Hong Kong 1986
  7. [PC] [Shooter] [Infinity Ward] Call of Duty: Warzone
  8. [PS5] [Fighting] [NetherRealm Studios] Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate
  9. [PC] [Shooter] [id Software] Doom Eternal
  10. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Sucker Punch Productions] Ghost of Tsushima
  11. [PS4] [Sports] [Vicarious Visions] Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2

Last edited:

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
1. The Last of Us Part 2 - Moving, bold, and unforgettable. A masterpiece in storytelling with some of the best stealth action gameplay you'll ever play.

2. Demon's Souls - The greatest remake of all time. Keeps everything that made the original special and exciting while showing a glimpse of what the PS5 is capable of.

3. Astro's Playroom - A callback to pack-in games of old. An incredible showpiece of what a new system can offer while keeping gameplay fun and accessible.

2. [PS5] [Action RPG] [BluePoint Games] Demon's Souls
  3. [PS5] [Platformer] [Sony Interactive Entertainment] Astro's Playroom

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
1) 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim - One of the best games I have ever played. Beautiful artwork, a gripping story, and memorable music make for a game that does not come around often. Wish I could experience it again for the first time.

2) Persona 5 Royal - It was a hard task to improve upon one of the best RPGs of this generation but Atlus did it. By adding in numerous QoL features, new characters, and an amazing third semester featuring a great antagonist, they surpassed all of my expectations.

3) Final Fantasy VII Remake - A great retelling, or sequel, of the classic. The battle system was a great time and the soundtrack might be my favorite of the generation.

4) Yakuza: Like A Dragon - I was hesitant about Kiryu's replacement but Ichiban is great. The turn-based battle system wore me down a little but the story was great here.

5) The Last of Us Part 2 - A very emotional story and amazing presentation from ND. Not much more to say, I think others have covered it better than I ever will.

1. [PS4] [Adventure] [Vanillaware] 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
  2. [PS4] [RPG] [Atlus] Persona 5 Royal
  3. [PS4] [Action RPG] [Square Enix] Final Fantasy VII Remake
  4. [PS4] [RPG] [Sega] Yakuza: Like a Dragon
  5. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Naughty Dog] The Last of Us Part II

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
As always a bunch of games I didn't get to play or just pushed to play the next gen versions of later on. Anyway, here goes:

1. Persona 5 Royal - Persona 5 was already one of my favourite JRPGs ever and Royal is surprisingly big improvement on many things over the base game and the completely new content is some of the best the game has. Not only was it a breeze to play through 100 hours of a game that was in many ways the same, it was an absolute blast. I seriously might consider this to be the best JRPG ever made, period.

2. World of Warcraft: Shadowlands - After the last expansion was bit of a bummer, this is the second time I consider "modern wow" to be legit pretty great. I still prefer Legion just by a hair but the new raid is a ton of fun, running M+ is addicting and fun and there isn't really anything huge spoiling the experience. Biggest issue now is if Blizzard can actually pump out the next content patch fast enough.

3. Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time - Overall really solid return to form for the series many of us fans have been waiting for for a long time. By no means perfect, they certainly should have axed like half of the bullshit hidden boxes, but for what it is it's much better than I could have hoped for from an Activision effort just a few years ago.

4. Resident Evil 3 Remake - This one got a bit of a bad rep, partly justified, but it's a really fun action horror romp. While it's a big bummer some elements were left out I still think it's a very solid adaptation of the original Resident Evil 3. Very tight pacing and very replayable, just like the OG.

5. Astro's Playroom - Tech demo or not, it's a blast to play. Not quite as impactful as Astro's VR title, but it's great to see that the fun of it isn't lost in a traditional title. I'll be lookin forward to the next full game, wether VR or not. Also the cameos of past PS hardware and game characters of course are ace for any pony.

6. The Last of Us Part II - I feel like I don't have nearly as polarized opinion on this one than many seem to have. It's a very, very solid game and to me a big upgrade over Uncharted 4 when it comes to game design. Main issues for me are that it could maybe have been just a lil bit faster on the pacing side and maybe be just a lil bit shorter. Replaying this does feel like a daunting task for now but if it gets a great next-gen upgrade then I'm ready for another ride. Also multiplayer being cut is a bummer, the original was better than it had any right to be.

7. Black Mesa - Great remake of a classic title. It certainly took it's time to release but they nailed it. Just right balance of feeling like the og HL1 and a modern adaptation of it.

8. Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout - I extremely rarely play console multiplayer games but this one got me absolutely hooked for a while. Great concept and most of the levels are great. Fuck the football one tho!

9. Dreams - The MM provided campaing is pretty gud and the stuff community has cooked up is as impressive as ever with MM titles. I just wished I had time to dive into the creator tools myself. Most of all, it's a technical marvel.

10. Spider-Man: Miles Morales - The original was a great game and while this doesn't really bring much new to the table and it's "just more of the same"... it's more of the same! My biggest wish for the big, true sequel is for more ambitious side content to break away a bit from the regular open world game feel. But most of the time it's still a solid ass game.

1. [PS4] [RPG] [Atlus] Persona 5 Royal
  2. [PC] [MMORPG] [Blizzard Entertainment] World of Warcraft: Shadowlands
  3. [PS4] [Platformer] [Toys for Bob] Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time
  4. [PS4] [Survival Horror] [Capcom] Resident Evil 3 Remake
  5. [PS5] [Platformer] [Sony Interactive Entertainment] Astro's Playroom
  6. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Naughty Dog] The Last of Us Part II
  7. [PC] [Shooter] [Crowbar Collective] Black Mesa
  8. [PS4] [Party] [Mediatonic] Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout
  9. [PS4] [Game Creation] [Media Molecule] Dreams
  10. [PS5] [Action Adventure] [Insomniac Games] Spider-Man: Miles Morales

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
1. The Last of Us Part II - Naughty Dog has been one of my favorite developers since I got Jak and Daxter with my PS2 as a kid in 2001. TLoU2 is the best game they've ever made. It looks incredible without sacrificing gameplay or controls at all. Masterful level design and stealth-action gameplay that's more satisfying than anything else I played this year. Top it off with an amazing story with exceptional performances that brought me to tears at times. Not only my game of the year, probably my game of the generation.

2. Ghost of Tsushima - Like with ND, I've been playing Sucker Punch games since I was 10 years old with the original Sly Cooper. Their penchant for silky smooth controls and gameplay are on full display here, along with an engrossing world and top tier art direction. This is SP magnum opus and really delivered more than I could have hoped for. And then there's an entirely free and engaging co-op mode on top of everything.

3. Animal Crossing: New Horizons - I hadn't really played Animal Crossing since the first game on Gamecube, but my gf and I fell in love with New Horizons. I still check out my island and visit the villagers a few times a month, almost a year later.

4. Hades - This one really surprised me. I've never really enjoyed a rougelike before, but I did love Bastion back when that released. So, after all the hype around this game I decided to buy it on a whim. One of my best impulse buys ever lol. I put in 50 hours within a month and I'm still playing here and there even after beating the main story. The constant sense of progression and story bits really make it feel like you're never wasting time.

5. Astro's Playroom - I was stunned at how good this game is. The quality coupled with the Dualsense features made it one of the most memorable "next gen" experiences I've ever had. Can't wait to see what's next for Astrobot.

6. Spider-Man: Miles Morales - Insomniac, along with ND and SP, is another dev I grew up with who are reaching new heights. While smaller in scope, Miles Morales feels like a natural evolution and improvement in every other aspect from the 2018 game. Such a joy to swing around and a real visual treat as my PS5 launch game.

7. Sackboy: A Big Adventure - Another one that surpassed my expectations this year. A really great and charming platformer. Split-screen co-op is amazing too. My gf fell in love with the game and we played 40 hours together so far lol. Great use of licensed music too.

8. The Pathless - Feels very much inspired by Team Ico and Journey in the best way. Very relaxing and gorgeous game, and I'm a sucker for animal companions.

9. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 - Top notch remakes of a series with a lot of nostalgia for me. While I never actually played 1 or 2, THPS3 and 4 were among my most played PS2 games. Loved getting to experience the originals in modern form.

4. [Switch] [Roguelike] [Supergiant Games] Hades
  5. [PS5] [Platformer] [Sony Interactive Entertainment] Astro's Playroom
  6. [PS5] [Action Adventure] [Insomniac Games] Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  7. [PS5] [Platformer] [Sumo Digital] Sackboy: A Big Adventure
  8. [PS5] [Action Adventure] [Giant Squid] The Pathless
  9. [PS4] [Sports] [Vicarious Visions] Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
There wasn't a lot of new games this year I was interested in. I think I mostly spent it playing older games. Which probably explains why half my list are ports or remasters. Oh well.

7. Murder By Numbers - This game was sold to me as Ace Attorney meets Picross and while I've never played Picross before this was a good introduction to it. On the Ace Attorney side of things there are its fun quirky characters along with murder mystery hijinks, but its writing is never as strong as Ace Attorney. On the whole it felt like a fun time waster but never fully satisfying.

6. Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition - Hey everyone, Devil May Cry 3 is still good. I was replaying the series this year and while any of them could make it on the list, only this game qualifies as technically releasing this year so year it is.

5. Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity - Wasn't really sure where to place this game. There is fun to be had and its gameplay is more refined from Hyrule Warriors. That said, I thought story-wise I was disappointed because there was potential here that the game didn't really take advantage of. And while the gameplay is an improvement from its past title, it still is a musou game and so there are a lot of tedious parts to it. But I guess I enjoyed it enough to play through it so here it is.

4. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore - It's just fun. A game that just embraces style over substance to just make a bright, colorful, and energetic game about jpop idols fighting monsters in dungeons. I particularly enjoyed its tun-based battle system of exploiting weaknesses for extra attacks which lead to lengthy and satisfying combos.

3. Streets of Rage 4 - Gotta be completely honest, I've never really been into side scrolling beat 'em ups and SOR4 didn't really change my mind. I did really appreciate the art and gameplay, and I did play enough to beat it once which is more than any other of the genre. I can see why people love it though and considering my list is fairly anemic I don't mind including it.

2. The Wonderful 101 Remastered - The best game on the Wii U is now everywhere else. At its best it is a game that is filled with spectacle as you fight giant robots and evil aliens with deep and satisfying combat mechanics. A game not for everyone but whoever it clicks with will have it near their heart forever.

1. Sakuna Of Rice and Ruin - A game about rice farming. While a lot of this game is a side scrolling action game of fighting demons what really elevates this game is its surprisingly in-depth rice farming simulation. The rice farming accounts for things like where you place the saplings, the temperature and amount of water there is, fertilizer, the different seasons, etc. The finished product will power up the Sakuna to increase her combat abilities and further progress in the action portions of the game. It's all put in a nice little story about Sakuna learning to grow from a spoiled goddess into a more responsible and caring person. This was my most anticipated game for the year and it's always nice when a game you're excited for delivers and then some.

Honorable Mentions:
Return of the Obra Dinn - Great game that I only played this year even though it's a couple years old now.
A Short Hike - Same as the above. Very nice and comfy game.
Stardew Valley - A nice relaxing game that me and my friends spent dozens of hours playing online while in pandemic lock down.

1. [Switch] [Action] [Edelweiss] Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin
  2. [Switch] [Action Adventure] [PlatinumGames] The Wonderful 101: Remastered
  3. [Switch] [Beat 'em up] [DotEmu] Streets of Rage 4
  4. [Switch] [RPG] [Atlus] Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore
  5. [Switch] [Hack and slash] [Omega Force] Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
  6. [Switch] [Action Adventure] [Capcom] Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition
  7. [Switch] [Visual Novel] [Mediatonic] Murder by Numbers

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Warzone takes the cake - full of flaws but an incredible BR overall that captured a vast playerbase for the whole of the cursed year, me and my friends included.

TLoU2 an incredible achievement, the level of polish in this game is ludicrous and the story captivating. Left me quite harrowed for some time, unable to really enjoy other single player games, so it's a good job Warzone was around lol!

Astrobot is just amazing. A perfect introduction to the PS5.

Demon's Souls also a great launch title. Didn't have a PS3 and never played the original, so enjoying this one a great deal!

There are tons more 2020 games I have but have not yet really played, so can't really vote for them but I'm sure they're good. Spidey, Ghost of Tsushima the biggest names among them I guess. Honorable mention to Warframe, "best ongoing game" for me this year. That got a PS5 release so it seems it's eligible to voting, woo! For some reason Beyond Light didn't hook me at all, but I hear the new season is good so I'll surely give it a try at some point. I have >3k hours in D1+D2, so it is unavoidable lol.

1. [PS4] [Shooter] [Infinity Ward] Call of Duty: Warzone
  3. [PS5] [Platformer] [Sony Interactive Entertainment] Astro's Playroom
  4. [PS5] [Action RPG] [BluePoint Games] Demon's Souls
  5. [PS5] [Action RPG] [Digital Extremes] Warframe

Xarius

Oct 28, 2017
1. Final Fantasy VII Remake - A fantastic game with a very fun battle system. It was my first experience with FF7, and caused me to go back and play the original for the first time. Looking forward to the subsequent parts.

2. Persona 5 Royal - A great update to one of my favorite games ever; the new characters and semester were a nice excuse for me to go back and beat this game two more times.

3. Ghost of Tsushima - I liked this more than I expected; the setting, story, characters, and combat were all well done.

4. The Last of Us Part II - A worthy sequel with smooth game mechanics and a very ambitious narrative.

5. Trials of Mana - I had never played the original, but I quite enjoyed my time with the remake. The characters and classes all played differently enough to warrant multiple play-throughs of the game.

6. Spider-Man: Miles Morales - Short and sweet; I think I enjoyed this more than the original game. The new mechanics Miles had at his disposal were quite fun to use.

7. Among Us - A cute and fun game that blew up at exactly the right time.

4. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Naughty Dog] The Last of Us Part II
  5. [PC] [Action RPG] [Square Enix] Trials of Mana
  6. [PS5] [Action Adventure] [Insomniac Games] Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  7. [PC] [Party] [Innersloth] Among Us

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
This feels pointless, but if I don't vote I can't complain. So... :)

1. Animal Crossing NH: This was always going to make my GOTY list, but in 2020? This vaults to the top. (PS: Fuck 2020)
  2. Hades: I'm one of those who are not generally a roguelike fan, but this game is fantastic.
  3. Cyberpunk 2077: My type of game. Kudos to the developers and designers. Too bad about CDPR. (PS: Fuck CDPR)
  4. Fuser: More a musical toy. So not recommended for rhythm game fans. But music fans? This is damn fun.
  5. 13 Sentinels: Despite its issues, the story and the way it's told entertained me for hours
  6. Tony Hawk 1+2: In this shit year, this was nostalgic comfort food done right
  7. Paradise Killer: Love the aesthetic. Maybe a bit too bizarre, but really neat game
  8. Astro's Playroom: So much charm, and great to play. Can't wait for the full game... ;)
  9. Kentucky Route Zero: This game fascinates me, even if it also bored me at times.
  10. Paper Mario TOK: Does what the series does best in terms of characters, dialog, and adventuring. Too bad the combat sucks.
  11. Bugsnax: Bunger Bunger. Bunger. Bunger. Bunger. Bunger. Bunger
  12. Doom 64: Wait? This isn't just Doom ported to N64? Who knew Doom 64 was its own game.

1. [Switch] [Simulation] [Nintendo] Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  2. [Switch] [Roguelike] [Supergiant Games] Hades
  3. [PS4] [Action RPG] [CD Projekt] Cyberpunk 2077
  4. [PC] [Rhythm] [Harmonix] Fuser
  5. [PS4] [Adventure] [Vanillaware] 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
  6. [PS4] [Sports] [Vicarious Visions] Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2
  7. [Switch] [Adventure] [Kaizen Game Works] Paradise Killer
  8. [PS5] [Platformer] [Sony Interactive Entertainment] Astro's Playroom
  9. [PC] [Point-and-click adventure] [Cardboard Computer] Kentucky Route Zero
  10. [Switch] [RPG] [Intelligent Systems] Paper Mario: The Origami King
  11. [PS5] [Adventure] [Young Horses] Bugsnax
  12. [Switch] [Shooter] [Nightdive Studios] Doom 64

Iva Demilcol

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iwatodai Dorm
I didn't play much last year so this is gonna be a short list:

Genshin Impact was the game of the year for me. It surprised me how beautiful it was and while Mondstat looks like your generic fantasy anime town, Liyue is one of the most incredible RPG areas I've played recently: It's full of detail and aesthetically unique. Yes, it is a gacha game so what... the game is fun.

Persona 5 Royal is one of the best (if not the best) game I've played the last gen. The re-release is incredible.

Pokemon Swoshi's DLC takes the Pokémon formula to a new and interesting place. If the announcements from this week are an indication, I think the DLC was the foundation of the future of the franchise.

Rocket Arena was a pleasant surprise... I didn't expect to like an EA game but I did. It is fun and Final Strike Games have improved it a lot. Unfortunately I don't think that it can survive for another year, but I guess we'll see.

1. [PC] [Action RPG] [miHoYo] Genshin Impact
  3. [Switch] [RPG] [Game Freak] Pokémon Sword and Shield: The Isle of Armor and The Crown Tundra
  4. [XBO] [Shooter] [Final Strike Games] Rocket Arena

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
1. Final Fantasy VII Remake
The remake had crazy expectations. It was the single most requested remake in the history of the medium. And yet, Square was able to blow away all of my expectations.

The combat system is amazing; it is both flashy and deep, which makes it hugely satisfying. Massive kudus for Square to make a combat system that feels more intimidating and less mainstream than that of the original game.

The story is also something that I would have never imagined, and I loved it. Although there is the possibility that Square takes the wrong path in writing the rest of the story, this first volume's story impressed me enough that it leaves me optimistic.

Last but not least, the soundtrack is amongst the best ever put in a video game. Just outstanding stuff all-around.

2. Command & Conquer Remastered Collection
Command & Conquer Remastered Collection is a game that should not exist in the way it does. C&C is an EA franchise that was left for dead a long time ago, in a typical EA fashion. Then a couple of years ago, EA announced that it was remastering the first two games in the franchise, and that it would involve the C&C community in the process. So it created the Community Council, made up of some of the most well-known community members, who served as a bridge between the community and the game developers. From day 1, the developers shared ideas and asked for feedback from the community in how to better tackle some of the aspects of the remasters.

When the game was eventually released two years later, it blew everyone's mind away. It played exactly like it did, and came with better UI, better graphics, and better music. Frank Klepacki, longtime composer for the franchise, had been brought back to remaster the soundtracks. He went above and beyond with this project. The released game included the original music, the remastered music, as well as some bonus remixes. Best of all, the game included a jukebox that allowed players to create their own playlist, with the ability to choose à la carte which tracks they want to listen to.

Not wanting to stop there, EA did the unthinkable. They did what so many video game fans dream of a developer doing: they released the source code for both games. They released the source code for both games. Insane. Now, the community for this franchise is more equiped than ever to keep the games alive.

Here's hoping that Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2 are next.

3. The Last of Us Part II
There's not much to say that hasn't been said about this game. It has better gameplay and a better story. Honestly its only fault is that I wish it had been longer (lol).

4. Demon's Souls
A great game made greater through jaw-dropping graphics, a better UI and great haptics feedback. I just wish it had done more changes. It's a wasted opportunity to include a mirror mode without doing anything with it. A Master Quest type of thing would have gone a long way to make this remake even better.

5. Persona 5 Royal
Fantastic combat, fantastic immersion, fantastic music and a fantastic game all around made better through a bunch of QoL additions. There's also more story, which is kind of eh considering I was not that hot on the original story or the characters. The game is also still way too long. It's a great game that I nonetheless recommend to everyone, but I'll possibly never play it again.

6. Resident Evil 3 Remake
I am so hot and cold on this game. On one hand, it is built upon the foundation of RE2-R, which is a masterpiece. The mechanics are very similar, but with the addition of dodging and perfect dodging, which triggers a Bayonetta-style slow-mo. It all feels fantastic. The story, while short, is told very well, with some great dialogues and great characters. Everything about the narrative of this game is better than the original.

It's just so maddening that all these positive aspects are weaved through the wrong take on level design. Instead of the metroidvania-y design of the police precinct of 2, or even the lighter aspect of that in OG 3, we get more traditional "levels" that come one after the other. On top of hampering immersion and not being as fun to explore, this affected how Nemesis was designed. Instead of appearing in semi-random spots and chasing after you, he's now scripted to appear in set moments, and only in the first of these moments does he actually chase you as you run around town. He's now just... a regular boss fight. RE2-R's Mr. X was a better Nemesis than Remake Nemesis was. It's disappointing.

That said, it's still an alright game.

7. Spider-Man Miles Morales
I have not played the original Spider-Man, but I really liked this one. Great-feeling mechanics, an enjoyable and lifelike city to explore, and a very good story punctuated by great character moments. The game is also fairly short and paced very well. I had a lot of fun simply swinging around New York City and beating up dudes with my venom powers.

8. Astro's Playroom
Maybe the best packed-in launch game since Super Mario World. The mechanics of this game feel fantastic. Everything about this game is charming. It succeeds in its mission in demonstrating the capabilities of the DualSense controller.

9. Among Us
I had a ton of fun playing this game with friends.

10. Crusader Kings III
I had never played this series before that game. It is extremely intimidating and I haven't yet really understood how its systems work. But what I saw was very impressive, and there's no game quite like it. I'll go back to it at some point.

2. [PC] [RTS] [Petroglyph Games] Command & Conquer Remastered Collection
  3. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Naughty Dog] The Last of Us Part II
  4. [PS5] [Action RPG] [BluePoint Games] Demon's Souls
  5. [PS4] [RPG] [Atlus] Persona 5 Royal
  6. [PS4] [Survival Horror] [Capcom] Resident Evil 3 Remake
  7. [PS5] [Action Adventure] [Insomniac Games] Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  8. [PS5] [Platformer] [Sony Interactive Entertainment] Astro's Playroom
  9. [PC] [Party] [Innersloth] Among Us
  10. [PC] [Grand strategy] [Paradox Interactive] Crusader Kings III

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Part II is my goty and one of the best experience I ever had in gaming
Ghost is a big surprise, I never expected to like this game so much, the last game I played in this list and I should have played day 1
Hades is incredible addictive and well designed game
My standout top 3, the rest is to make the list, Cyberpunk is a huge disappointment

3. [Switch] [Roguelike] [Supergiant Games] Hades
  4. [PS4] [Survival Horror] [Capcom] Resident Evil 3 Remake
  5. [PS4] [Action RPG] [Square Enix] Final Fantasy VII Remake
  6. [PS4] [Beat 'em up] [DotEmu] Streets of Rage 4
  7. [PS4] [Action RPG] [CD Projekt] Cyberpunk 2077

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Welp, cutting it pretty close here so I'll be quick with these write-ups.

1. Hades - Best game of the year hands down, and also the best roguelike I have ever played. Remarkable gameplay, artstyle, character development, music, and some of the best character designs I have ever seen. It uses the structure of a roguelike to its advantage to tell a wonderful story, and it's a game where failing a run doesn't actually feel like failure since stories will progress and character development will happen regardless. This is one of Supergiant's best games, and I'm glad that it has found all of the success that it has.

2. Kentucky Route Zero - Playing Kentucky Route Zero evokes the same feeling in me that driving alone on an old empty road at night does. Fantastic writing, great characters, and an absolutely incredibly atmosphere.

3. Streets of Rage 4 - SoR4 is beat em up perfection. You stylishly beat up dozens and dozens of bad guys, what's not to like? The game looks and plays fantastically, and has a killer soundtrack to boot. And it's even better with friends.

4. Spiritfarer - This is a colorful, cartoon game about helping a bunch of lovable animals come ro terms with death and helping them grieve, and it all works shockingly well. There is a management sim here where you build up your boat and keep your passengers happy. But, to me, the real appeal of this game was its heart, and the graceful and beautiful way it deals with some heavy subjects. This game was just a warm, soothing blanket, something that I sorely needed during this past year.

5. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 + 2 - It's THPS, back and better than ever. Not much else to say, this game played wonderfully, and it was a joy to return to this series.

6. Moon - This is a really weird and unique experience, but it's one that really stuck with me. I think a special mention should go to this game's soundtrack, which is varied as hell but somehow always fits the mood of the game.

7. FFVII Remake - I felt some pacing problems dragged this game down some, but when this game worked, it really worked. I loved all of the attention to detail that was put into making Midgar feel like a real, lived-in place. I'm looking forward to what Square does with the next game.

8. Animal Crossing: New Horizons - Some of the design choices in this game leave something to be desired, especially when it comes to managing your inventory, but putting that aside, this was a wonderfully relaxing experience. The artstyle, the music, the wonderful attention to detail in the sound design...It all combined to make for a truly soothing experience.

9. Nioh 2 - It has one of the most engaging battle systems I have ever seen in a game. It is tough as nails, but oh-so satisfying when you finally prevail. And it has a fantastic character creator as well.

1. [Switch] [Roguelike] [Supergiant Games] Hades
  2. [Switch] [Point-and-click adventure] [Cardboard Computer] Kentucky Route Zero
  3. [Switch] [Beat 'em up] [DotEmu] Streets of Rage 4
  4. [Switch] [Adventure] [Thunderlotus] Spiritfarer
  5. [PS4] [Sports] [Vicarious Visions] Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2
  6. [Switch] [RPG] [Onion Games] Moon: Remix RPG Adventure
  7. [PS4] [Action RPG] [Square Enix] Final Fantasy VII Remake
  8. [Switch] [Simulation] [Nintendo] Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  9. [PS4] [Action RPG] [Team Ninja] Nioh 2

Dec 13, 2018
I rated these purely on how much fun I had with each, if I were to try and rank them more objectively it'd probably be way different orders. It was a busy and difficult year, so these are like my best "distractions".

1. [PS5] [Action Adventure] [Insomniac Games] Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  3. [XSX] [Shooter] [343 Industries] Halo: The Master Chief Collection
  4. [PC] [Turn-based strategy] [Splash Damage] Gears Tactics
  5. 1. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Sucker Punch Productions] Ghost of Tsushima
  6. [PS5] [Platformer] [Sony Interactive Entertainment] Astro's Playroom
  7. [PC] [Shooter] [Valve] Half-Life: Alyx
  8. [XSX] [Battle Royale] [Epic Games] Fortnite
  9. [PS4] [Game Creation] [Media Molecule] Dreams

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
  1. Final Fantasy VII Remake - A lovingly made remake of one of the franchise's most beloved games, FFVIIR delivered in ways that I think many fans were prepared for it not to deliver. It seemed like a dream game, faithfully bringing this classic to modern game audiences in such a way that felt true to the characters while also looking insanely good. And I cannot emphasize that enough: This game is dropdead gorgeous. Minus some texture issues. What blows me away the most about this remake is that it somehow manages to create the perfect fusion of real-time action and the turn-based command systems Final Fantasy is known for. This is closely followed by how well the characters are portrayed here, with characterization that somehow transcends the limitations of the original versions while also perfectly capturing their personalities.
  2. Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition - While not exactly the director's cut version of Devil May Cry 5 that I had hoped for, it's still one of my favorite games of all time, but with Vergil. And let me tell you, Vergil's gameplay changes from the previous special edition might not be the biggest nor most exciting but they're damn good and a hell of a lot of fun to learn. Plus, his battle theme fucking slaps.
  3. Hades - I love roguelikes, I love Greek mythology, and I love Supergiant. I've loved Hades since its first year in Early Access and its 1.0 release only made me love it even more. It's been one hell of a journey and Supergiant deserves all the praise they've been getting as the final product of their early access project has been one of the most fun and addictive games I've played in recent memory. I was excited to finally see the ending to this story I'd been playing on and off for the last few years and it absolutely delivered. Not only that, but the way they merged gameplay and narrative for a roguelike was genius.
  4. The Last of Us Part II - The sequel to one of my favorite games of all time that, somehow, some way, manages to surpass it nearly every aspect. The only area it falls short on for me is the music, but the overall package is a much stronger. I expected to be disappointed by something more than just the music as I found it hard to imagine making a sequel that's much better than the original but they managed to do it. Gameplay is incredibly satisfying, especially with stealth, given how flexible it can be with even more options at your disposal. It was one of the best stealth games I've had the pleasure of experiencing. The story is a fantastic follow up to the original which really stays with you and goes in directions I didn't expect they'd be willing to go but was very happy with. It is also an impossibly stunning game, be it character models or environments. Everything looks incredible, whether its abandoned homes and stores or beautiful natural landscapes, there's often something to swoon over and admire.
  5. Ghost of Tsushima - What I expected to be a boring combat system turned out to be an immensely satisfying one, and with a backdrop like 13th century Japan, how could I not fall in love with this game? While it had a fair amount of the usual open world gameplay tropes many are tired of, I found the simple change of having a fog of war clear up the map really helped make my experience much better. It truly felt like I was exploring and discovering Tsushima on my own. There were no towers to reveal locations I'd never been to, only me and my trusty steed's own feet. It was this almost unbelievable adventure that really absorbed me and made me feel like I was in feudal Japan.
  6. Astro's Playroom - I played Astro's Playroom expecting a fun little demo to experience the DualSense's fancy new features but instead got a wonderful, heartwarming trip down memory lane that had me smiling the entire time. "Delightful" and "charming" are the perfect words to describe this brilliant little title. It was a truly fun, albeit a little simple, game that really made me feel at home and happy as a PlayStation fan. I felt lucky to have been a fan of the platform since the first console and seeing all the accessories and consoles and various nods to PlayStation history was simply awesome. The time trial runs are also really cool. I thought they were going to be the same levels but they're entirely new ones made specifically with speedruns in mind. I loved that. Oh, and the DualSense demo aspect? Freaking amazing! The haptics for the snow/ice levels amazed me but it was really the adaptive triggers that kept blowing me away. The precision and degree of control they allow has me really excited for future titles that make use of the DualSense.
  7. Persona 5 Royal - A return to another all-time favorite of mine that I expected to love more, but alas, there were far too many great games this year. Royal improves upon the already-excellent original in almost every way while also giving us new story content, making for a very worthwhile experience. Aside from the various quality of life changes to both the social and JRPG aspects of the game, an improvement I don't usually see praised enough is the improvement of the dialogue. It was one of the major criticisms of the original release and seeing it improved alongside the gameplay was a pleasant surprise. The plethora of changes make it almost difficult to play the original if it weren't such a great game in the first place. In addition to the aforementioned story changes, there's a lot of new things that revitalize the already great combat system, from the new Showtime attacks to Will Seeds, to changes for the Baton Pass and gun mechanics, which makes going through the 100+ hour long adventure once more totally worth it.
  8. Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales - In the opposite vein of the game right above, Miles Morales is a short experience. It's not any worse for that, however, as it has a story to tell and tells it in an appropriate amount of time. In that short amount of time, we got to know Miles and his friends very well, giving us a heartfelt story about coming into his own as the new Spider-Man and learning what it means to be Spider-Man. In terms of gameplay, what stands out about Miles is his new Venom powers and Camouflage ability, which make both combat and stealth encounters much more fun than they were in the previous game.
  9. Resident Evil 3 - A very satisfying return to Raccoon City but with a more action-oriented spin to it while also still staying true to the series' survival horror roots. It was a short trip, however, and one that I wish was longer and stayed closer to the original, but it was a fun one nonetheless. Jill Valentine quickly became my favorite RE character by the end and only makes it more disappointing that she's not in more games.
  10. Animal Crossing: New Horizons - My first foray into Nintendo's beloved life sim franchise was a bit of a mixed bag. It was the perfect game to chill out to during the start of the pandemic and it was certainly a good time. However, the game also seemed very old in that it had far too many aspects that felt like they had no place being in a 2020 game such as using overly tedious dialogue in place of what should've been menus. Still, the game oozes charm which made for a good time and one that's worth returning to every once in a while.

2. [PS5] [Action Adventure] [Capcom] Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition
  4. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Naughty Dog] The Last of Us Part II
  5. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Sucker Punch Productions] Ghost of Tsushima
  7. [PS4] [RPG] [Atlus] Persona 5 Royal
  8. [PS5] [Action Adventure] [Insomniac Games] Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  9. [PS4] [Survival Horror] [Capcom] Resident Evil 3 Remake
  10. [Switch] [Simulation] [Nintendo] Animal Crossing: New Horizons

dred

Oct 27, 2017
1. The Last of Us 2 - Simply the new benchmark for cinematic action games. A thrilling journey from start to finish and I found it so impactful I had a hard time playing anything else for weeks after finishing it.

2. Ghost of Tsushima - A perfect example that execution is everything. On paper this game should have bored me with its fairly rote structure and mechanics, but every element of the game is so polished and enjoyable I couldn't get enough. One of the best open world games I've ever played.

3. Nioh 2 - Definitely more of the same, but that's not a bad thing when you're dealing with a series like Nioh. I had a great time building my character and banging my head against the varied and demanding boss fights.

4. Doom Eternal - I was worried early on that Eternal was a misstep from a design standpoint, but once I settled in to the rhythm I couldn't get enough.

5. Hades - It takes a lot for a roguelike to really impress me as I tend to enjoy more hand-crafted games, but Hades did it as well as any game in the genre. Fun combat, smart mechanics, and charm for days made Hades difficult to put down.

3. [PS4] [Action RPG] [Team Ninja] Nioh 2
  4. [PS4] [Shooter] [id Software] Doom Eternal
  5. [Switch] [Roguelike] [Supergiant Games] Hades

Kr1spy

Oct 28, 2017
Silver Spring, MD
1. The Last of Us Part II - TLOU2 made me feel things I'd never felt while playing a game and the emotions stayed with me long after I'd seen the credits. An absolute masterpiece in every way.

2. Hades - I cannot stop playing Hades. Please send help.

3. Kentucky Route Zero - KRZ is maybe the most original game I played last year. A Lynchian subversion of point and click adventure games, a slow drive on a hot night through a future ghost town.

4. Final Fantasy VII Remake - I still can't believe they pulled this off as well as they did. A fantastic remake and a new vision for the future of FFVII.

5. Doom Eternal - This game was more divisive than I thought it would be. I land on the side of thinking it's better in almost every way than DOOM 2016, which was a pretty phenomenal game in itself. My big disappointment was that the story took itself too seriously. Cutscenes often ended up feeling like something out of a Bungie game: ancient aliens, secret relics, evil prophecies, one true hero, etc. Anyway, the gameplay and level design and music and everything else fucking rocks so hard that I can ignore cheesy dialogue and plot beats.

6. Astro's Playroom - A huge surprise for me. I platinumed the game in a single night and loved every second of it. I can't wait to see what Asobi Team does next.

7. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 - They made a Tony Hawk game that wasn't terrible! It feels like old Tony Hawk! It's a miracle!

8. Call of Duty: Warzone - My favorite BR mode that I've played so far. My only complaint is that none of my friends want to play it over Fortnite or Overwatch so I'm doomed to die a thousand solo deaths.

2. [Switch] [Roguelike] [Supergiant Games] Hades
  3. [PC] [Point-and-click adventure] [Cardboard Computer] Kentucky Route Zero
  4. [PS4] [Action RPG] [Square Enix] Final Fantasy VII Remake
  5. [PS4] [Shooter] [id Software] Doom Eternal
  7. [PS4] [Sports] [Vicarious Visions] Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2
  8. [PS4] [Shooter] [Infinity Ward] Call of Duty: Warzone

HanSoloCup

Oct 27, 2017
Richmond, VA
1. FFVII Remake. The combat made me believe in action RPGs for the first time. The soundtrack was absolutely phenomenal (Midnight Rendezvous). The perfect reimagining to one of my favorite games of all time.

2. TLOU Part 2. I knew what they were doing at that halfway point and I said, no, I'm not going to feel how you want me to. Then they made me do just that. What a game.

3. Ghost of Tsushima. This is the game I've always wanted. The setting, the soundtrack, and the gameplay. What a great new IP from Sucker Punch. I can't wait to see what they do with it next.

4. Streets of Rage 4. Brawlers are one of my favorite categories of video games and Streets of Rage 4 doesn't disappoint. The elevator scene was one of my favorite moments in gaming this year.

5. Miles Morales. I loved the first game, but this just felt so much better. I'm not sure if it was the new powers, or the festive setting, or just Miles, but what a fun time.

Bonus: Animal Crossing. I never thought a game like this could pull me in, but after months of my daughters being me to join their island I did. And what a cozy game. I've loved every minute with that game.

4. [XBO] [Beat 'em up] [DotEmu] Streets of Rage 4
  5. [PS5] [Action Adventure] [Insomniac Games] Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  6. [Switch] [Simulation] [Nintendo] Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
1. Hunt: Showdown:
It's the best shooter i've ever played. Hands down. There's no contest. And the core of why that is comes from the sound design. Which is the best in a multiplayer game. While other shooters (esp BR ones) struggle to even correctly tell you where an enemy is 10ft away from you, the Hunt is so carefully crafted you can determine distance, direction, and even what triggered the sound from a couple hundred meters away. This is also what makes the game so incredibly deadly. Do you really want to shoot that monster to save some health at the risk of attracting nearby monsters, or even worse faraway players? Let's say you decide to take that health risk and there was a hunter silently stalking you the whole time. Waiting for you to slip up so they could bag an easily kill. The non-player AI is no joke either, many of lives have been claimed by hellhounds or immolators. This game will make you hate dogs as your ankles are torn apart by a pack of 6 them, while a hive launches poisonous bees into your eyes. Even if you survive the encounter there's no telling who was watching at the time. It's an incredibly stressful game which has some of the highest highs in a multiplayer game. There's nothing like cracking a headshot on someone that's 100m away, or narrowly escaping a 3 way fight between multiple teams.

Fighting bosses are a rush for the first couple hundred hours and then you once you master them you begin to think about how you can manipulate the circumstances around them to your advantage. Whenever you kill a boss and begin banishing it, a giant beacon appears on everyone's map with a notification saying who you banished and where. Do you camp the boss lair and wait for people to come in? Maybe you lay traps in that situation as a surprise for them. Or you don't and position yourself in a way to blast them with a shotgun as soon as they peak. Maybe you decide to ditch the lair and wait on the outside, making it far harder to get explosive spammed or shotgun rushed. Maybe leave the bounty there and hide far away, leaving it as bait for other players. Then once they get the bounty you track them and kill them in the last moments before they extract.

Once you get your bounty from the boss everyone on the maps constantly knows your position. On the flip side you gain the ability to see all hunters in your FOV for a limited time to help you with defending yourself. It then becomes a game of, do you want to use this ability to hunt people down or avoid people for an easier escape. After all, once you die you lose all the money you gained that match along with all your equipment (and buying equipment and hunters in this game costs ingame money). You must strike a balance between greed and surviving at all times (is it worth going for the second bounty that can sometimes spawn if you're one shot to some of the bigger guns in the game?"

This is an incredibly brutal game but the most rewarding i've ever experienced. You're doing yourself a disservice if you skip this game and you like shooters.

2. The Last of Us Part 2:
A third person shooter which probably won't be topped for several years in terms of game feel. Which is largely owed to the games motion matching technology. Making everything have weight but still feel responsive. On top of this the game has some of the best map design out there. Allowing for several different methods of approach with each map and each encounter plays out completely differently. In fact, since the AI in this game is so good you can approach the same encounter the same way and still end up with the scenario playing out differently. The graphics are some of the best out there and the animation is the best i've seen in a game. The story itself was also compelling, loads of fun parallels between not only the first game but also other story arcs within this game. Game in general is landmark title for game design and I hope other devs learn some of its lessons.

3. Until You Fall:
Probably one of the best arcade hack n slash games ever. There's nothing quite like slashing, ducking, thrusting, and countering enemies back to back while the synth soundtrack blasts in your ears. Then after you're finished with that group of enemies you hold up your hands, absorb their essence, and grow stronger for the next stage. The melee combat in this game is one of the best in all of VR. Few games have made my blood bump more than this one.

4. Arknights:
One of the best tower defense games out there with extremely F2P balancing (pretty much everything can be beaten with starter units). The game constantly challenges you through its various events, and some of these challenges even trip up a tower defense veteran like myself. Requiring my to completely change up how I normally approach a tower defense game; Contingency Contracts have to be some of the best designed content i've seen in a live service game. The art and music in the game are also beautiful, some of the best in the genre.

5. Demon's Souls:
Truly one of the best remakes out there. It was amazing seeing just how beautiful demons souls could look a decade later when a dev team had a proper budget and didn't have to reuse assets from other games. The sound design in this game is also some of the best in all of gaming. Battling storm king with the rain pouring down, lightning flashing, and the storm kings roar booming through your headphones while you slice him in half with formed wind. Will go down as one of the greatest moments in gaming i've had. And graphically it's probably the best looking game i've seen, incredibly clean with some beautiful colors. Really the only thing holding this game back is the crust found in being the first souls game. Bluepoint cleaned some of it up but more could have been done.

6. Pistol Whip:
A blood bumping rhythm game which makes you feel like john wick on a metronome. Great music wrapped up in one of the most sweat inducing games out there.

7. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 & 2:
A phenomenal remake of two amazing classics. If you enjoyed these games even a little bit growing up there's 0 reason not to pick this up.

8. Genshin Impact:
A beautiful game which is better than the game it was inspired by. Fantastic music, artstyle, with some really fun combat.

9. Astro's Playroom:
A love letter to nostalgia for all things playstation. Wrapped up in one of the tightest and innovative platformers out there. And as always, the music is fantastic.

10. Phasmophobia:
A breakout multiplayer game which surprised everyone. Getting spooked with your friends while you try to get them killed by yelling the ghosts name.

11. Spellbreak:
A refreshing take on the battle royale genre. Duos are a highlight in the game offering a nice feeling of controlled chaos.

1. [PS4] [Shooter] [Crytek] Hunt: Showdown
  3. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Schell Games] Until You Fall
  4. [Mobile] [Tactical role-playing] [Hypergryph] Arknights
  5. [PS5] [Action RPG] [BluePoint Games] Demon's Souls
  6. [PS4] [Rhythm] [Cloudhead Games] Pistol Whip
  7. [PS4] [Sports] [Vicarious Visions] Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2
  8. [PS4] [Action RPG] [miHoYo] Genshin Impact
  9. [PS5] [Platformer] [Sony Interactive Entertainment] Astro's Playroom
  10. [PC] [Horror] [Kinetic Games] Phasmophobia
  11. [PC] [Battle Royale] [Proletariat] Spellbreak

Last edited:

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
  1. [PS4] [Action Adventure] The last of us part II My favorite game of this generation, and favorite game of all time. I love the TLOu universe, and part 2 expanded on it in ways i didn't know I wanted.
  2. [PS5] [Action Adventure] Spider Man Miles Morales Playing as Spiderman will never not be fun as fuck
  3. [PS5] [Platformer] Sackboy After being underwhelmed by LBP3, I had little confidence in this game, but fuck is this an amazing return for Sackboy
  4. [PS5] [Platformer] Astro Playroom Went directly from Astro Vr to Playroom, and both are amazing games.

joshcam19

Nov 11, 2017
1. The Last of Us Part 2 – I am not sure what other superlatives I can give to the game that just won the most game of the year awards of all time. All I will say is that Naughty Dog are the Masters of this type of linear story, animation and environmental storytelling. I saw what they were doing with the turn in the middle of the game, and I wasn't really feeling it, but somehow they were able to convince me and get me to buy in. That probably has to do with the tremendous writing and acting of all the parties involved. Any game that makes me feel the emotions that this game did is truly special and one of the greatest of all times.
2. Demon's Souls – You can tell this is the first game in the FromSoftware formula. It feels dated in many ways, while also being the most technically impressive at the same time (a truly odd dichotomy). Even though it is not as good as games that would come after it, there are some truly special moments in this game that Blue Point made come to life. The first time the red dragon bathes the bridge in a sea of fire Is one of the most intense feelings in any FromSoftware game that I have played. This game has also jumped up my list a bit because it was my first real PS5 game that I played, and I played through the entire game with my brother. It was fun to learn how to take down a boss, unlock NPC side quests, and where to grind with him by my side the entire time.
3. Cuphead – This is the first time that I've actually played this game and since it came two PlayStation 4 for the first time this year I think it is applicable for this list. I probably Wouldn't have had this in my top three in most years but for 2020 it was a very relevant game for me personally as one of my quarantine hobbies was teaching myself the basics of animation am learning how to draw some flip books. Now I am nowhere near the quality of this game but having some experience really have me insight into how amazing the animation style of this game is and how much work and time it must have taken. It truly is amazing.
4. Final Fantasy VII Remake – I have been out on Final Fantasy combat systems for a while and this brought me back in. I wasn't sure on the story but after the second playthrough and listening to some breakdowns, I think what they are doing is pretty amazing. My favorite part was just how good the characters are, I loved some many of them.
5. Spider-Man Miles Morales – This could have ranked higher on my list; the combat is somehow even better than the first game. The traversal is still best in its class. And Miles is such a great Spider-Man. I actually liked that they cut some of the bloat and boring side stuff from the first game, but I also think it felt like a smaller game overall. It didn't quite have the scale of the first game. Hopefully we get more Miles gameplay in Spider-Man 2.
6. Ghost of Tsushima – I honestly love this game, I think the combat in the story and the open world are all beautiful but honestly I just didn't play it enough to give it a higher ranking. With more time I could see this cracking my top 3, I plan to finish it later this year for sure.
7. Astro's Playroom – I just love Astro, I think the platforming is pixel perfect and this is something that PlayStation needs going forward, this sort of mascot. This was a nostalgia trip that I wasn't expecting this year but was so happy I got to take. Also this is my first Platinum Trophy for PlayStation 5. Most of my family played at least one level of this game and they all enjoyed it very much.
8. Tony Hawk 1 + 2 – I enjoy Tony Hawk and owned the originally on PS1 but I can't say that I was ever as 'into' this game as all of my friends. I liked it but I didn't eat, sleep and breath it like they did. I bought this on a whim because my friend came over to hand out and he mentioned it. It was fun just playing through it with him one night. Honestly one of the few gaming experiences with people in person last year, and that was special for me. I felt transported back to Elementary school with this game.
9. Sackboy's Big Adventure – No one is going to talk about this game or give it many awards this last year but I truly think that this deserves a lot more credit for being a very solid and fun platformer. And as a bonus the music and soundtrack are incredibly well done especially with how they interact with the levels.
10. Dreams – Another game that is probably going to be severely overlooked but what this game does no other game in the entire industry is doing right now. I played a horror game set in the Seinfeld universe this last year. What? It was so much fun dream surfing and getting to see all these weird creations that shouldn't exist but do, and because of this game we can all enjoy them. I really hope there is a strong community around this game because I want to see oddities for years to come being created by people.
Honorable Mentions:

Resident Evil 3 Remake
Fall Guys
Star Wars Squadrons
Bloodstainded Curse of the Moon 2

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
1. Final Fantasy VII Remake
resetgotyff7r12zjd6.png

"Freedom. Boundless, terrifying freedom."

I suppose you could say that these words can apply to really any kind-of rework for any piece of fiction ever, especially of something that is beloved, obsessed, and transformative as SquareSoft's 1997 Sony PlayStation release of Final Fantasy VII. 23 years later come the release of this second attempt and most of the same lead developers who crafted the original return. As you play this game, you will see, hear, and feel their collective experience and honed skills from then to now permeate across your playthrough; masters returning and improving what made them.

Every time you see the introduction, it always teleports you back to the time when it was the most magnificent display of adventure ever seen; ever felt. Landing on Aerith's flowers still as heartwarming (and awkward) as you remembered. Entering the Don's chambers, still as homely ridiculous as it was before. This game persevere our memories while expanding them with the technology available today; visions more realized than before.

Though aware that gaming no longer needs a turned-based system to craft a compelling role-playing experience, the VII Remake team figured out the balance of ease-of-use, hard-to-master combat of the past with measured difficulties and real-time action of today to ensure its RPG system never feels simplified yet also not immersive breaking.

Powered by the fourth Unreal Engine, the game's visual can be summarized simply as intricate. Gradient lighting on characters that look so soft that you unsure what color you are looking at. Facial animations that, while hand made, still manage to look life-like. Just seeing the steel sky in full display (especially with a 3D camera) alone shows us how far we've come in video games. Of course, detailed hair and dazzling magic and effects are par for the course in any 3D Final Fantasy but this overall visual package is simply impressive.

While Final Fantasy and Square composer and alumni Nobuo Uematsu is not the lead composer of this, Square did accumulate what seems like a battalion of composers, both old and new alike, to conduct a sea of rearrangements and new compositions, achieving the rare desire of both quantity and quality. Variations of old ones sounding new or strung across one or multiple songs to enhance the texture of what is on screen, fresh beats that prove they can be as remembered as what came before, iconic tracks that transcend time doing it again. This game's soundtrack is simply a tour de force.

When this game was revealed in what will eventually be 6 years ago, it was a disbelief of a thought after fantasy becoming reality; a reality we've gotten our hands on. For me, this reality confirms that the endless wait was a worthy one and the astonishing fact that this is only the beginning plus the fact that we are still talking about this project gives me jubilees (and perhaps feverish) anticipation for the next portion of Cloud Strife & Company's adventure.

2. The Last of Us Part II
resetgotytloup22bnk90.png

"Hate."

The ease of destruction. The struggle of construction. In and out, this is what The Last of Us is about and Part II just takes it to the next level. This concept is reflective in the advanced enemy AI gives you more pause in the act of killing while also further second guessing what disposable equipment to use if one were to utilize it. It also reflects the narrative it wants to tell as it will tear the psychological (or literal) fabric of its characters asunder.

How you'll react will depend on what kind-of human being you are. Maybe you'll keep siding with the protagonist. Maybe you'll join the other side. Maybe you just want to watch the world burn. One way or another, this game will ravage your emotions and try questioning your morals. Rather you'll submit to its nerve-racking interrogations or not…well, you just have to play to find out and if you have…

…you know the answer.

3. Hades

resetgotyh3w4jd7.png

"A social game about isolation."

I'll admit, I didn't realize this until I saw a stream where the streamers were playing it which got me to play my copy while watching them play it and then later find out another streamer was watching the same stream I was watching and got him to also play it while watching them play it.

The point being that this probably wasn't what Supergiant had in mind but…how addictive it's loop yet how fulfilling it's world is in an unorthodox and often difficult genre combined with just some of the best isometric combat out there and to see others go through this alluring process, it activates your own hunger for what this game offers at that moment. Like the concept of the game, you are just trapped in an endless cycle that slowly rewards or enhances you, others ceaselessly encouraging you to keep going; to constantly challenge yourself; to get better. If that isn't indirect immersive gaming, I don't know what is.

4. Ghost of Tsushima
resetgotygot4dujvj.png

"Photo Mode: The Game"

I suppose people have been taken back or maybe just observed a sunset from games that have day cycles but I never seen a game where I just coincidently see the sun rise and…just…watched. Not like some curious thing before you go on your merry way. Like, watching a sun rise like it's the real thing. And just keep staring. For minutes on end.

That is the power of this game's beauty as it combines Japan's natural wonders into something that almost feels that of fantasy despite being a period piece. Intricate, luminous leaves during the day, ghostly moonlights at night, this game just can't help itself but entertain your eyes to it's virtual wonders. Music is top-shelf but I'll actually argue "The Way of the Ghost" from Clare Uchima is the best song from a video game in 2020.

It's also an open-world game that, like Spider-Man PS4, it does that one thing so god damn well that it can make it somebody's Game of the Year. Despite its combat not designed in the typical action fashion, there is enough variety and tools that can still make you feel like the most badass swordsman (or sleuth) on the planet or at least emulate one from movies, TV shows or maybe even grounded anime or manga.

5. Doom Eternal
resetgotyde5cgjnu.png

"Hook. Fly. Blast"

Attaching a grappling hook to the Super Shotgun might somehow be the best innovation in the first-person shooter in some time despite the simple concept. The fulfilling rush of approaching your enemy at almost the speed of sound with attacks that reach such speeds is just adrenaline pumping. (Punch) Gush, reload, and repeat was a staple in the 2016 title and this feedback loop returns with great vengeance as a new meta is born with rechargeable gadgets that both test your balance of dishing out the most resources and the most pain upon your demonic victims. Add in the best first-person platforming since Metroid Prime and increased momentum to keep the action going, Doom Eternal maintains the franchise's status the THE FPS.

6. Astro's Playroom
resetgotyap649kyk.png

"Welcome To The Next Level"

If Astro Bot: Rescue Mission was a nostalgic trip in the subjective sense, than Astro's Playroom is the objective kind. A playful museum of Sony's PlayStation past while giving a glimpse of how games could play and feel through the DuelSense as it's rumbles can pin-point exact rain drops and it's triggers matching the resistance of what you are pulling or pushing. I suppose it's the most expensive game on the list (looks at FF7R) since it's an installed game on every PS5 but this should be the first game you christen out of that system.

7. Streets of Rage 4
resetgotysor471xkbo.png

"Go Straight For The Fourth Time"

The Return. The Undisputed. The King. The series that every other beat-em-up (should) strive to be makes another installment that has been long-waited for so long. Further evolving it's risk and reward special moves with a more intricate damage system, the continuation of club dancing beats from series alumni to newcomers to legendary composers of their own rights, an art style that still speaks Streets of Rage while maintaining the graphics studio's expression, an abundance of options to the player's liking, and the mania that is 2D models from the Genesis games interacting with modern sprites. This game is like the Dream, of sorts.

8. Bugsnax
resetgotyb82qk1e.png

"BUNGER!"

This might actually have the second best implementation of the DualSense controller for the PlayStation 5 version. Intricate lighting from different kind of status that surround the Touch Pad, resistant triggers from certain gadgets, even just hearing Bugsnax emitting from your controller is a joy. Despite playing a console version, it kinda' almost felt like a PC game from it's field-of-view slider to the snappiness of it's controls and gameplay despite lacking the complexities of the platform. Oh yeah, this is the most joyful game of 2020 despite…well, just play the game.

Anyways, the most actual surprising thing is that it's music is that of a synth-based, lo-fi direction which is something I did not expect for a game that is about Pokemon but food because when you start the game and that main menu pops up, you are taken back at how epic it's nostalgic texture is (and the proceeding first level music that continues that feeling) which gets you revved up to go on in what is essentially a silly quest full of googly eyes and paid professionals saying "BUNGER BUNGER BUNGER BUNGER BUNGER!".

Bugsnax will take your breath away (since you will be stuffing your mouth) and make you fondly remember the good (and tasty) times you had.

…BUNGER!

9. Spider-Man: Miles Morales
resetgotysmmm9ehjv6.png

"Baby, yeah we can go up."

When you're in the zone, you can feel what Stan Lee and Steve Ditko tried to accomplish when creating Spider-Man. This was already done with the 2018 title but this expansion pack makes you feel like you're already back in the saddle and then some. As the subtitle informs, this is Peter Parker's side-kick's time to shine as the game focus more on his abilities than Peter's gadgetry and man, does it really hammer home how the Arkham formula fits Spidy's gloves. More things to do, the PlayStation 5 making the city more believable, more agency on how you clean the streets, a unique vibe and soundscape that informs the player what Miles is about, it is a worthy stop-gap (and perhaps preview) of what is to come for the mainline sequel because with that final shot, you just hope it is implying what is possible.

What is greater.

10. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
resetgoty13ar10uvke6.png

"Narrative Agency."

I don't know if this term exists or I thought up due to the lack of better terms but that what comes in mind when describing this game. For the longest time, I just assumed what took so long was the developers crafting the best 2D graphics out there as Vanillaware is simply the best in the world in that department (even if you have no care for their gameplay, every game they make is a visual feast worthy of any coffee table art book out there). As the more I've played (and the things I've heard from others), the more I started to think that maybe it really was the story that took the most time to create.

You see, while the game starts off linear, eventually new story and battle missions pop up simultaneously and the choosing is that of your leisure. The game does not care what information it throws at you (even with an encyclopedia by your side that keeps track what you learn and recap on in case you do lose memory of details) but it doesn't seem random as you start connecting dots. Despite doing its damnedest to bewilder you, the more you play, the more it eventually makes sense. And from what I can gather with other people's playthroughs, the unique thing this game has going for is that you learn or notice things that are connected or answered regardless of which story you choose. Like, it doesn't seem to matter how you uncover the story as eventually that light bulb in yours will pop and light up and that's probably the dopamine of this game; it makes you want to play even more despite the unbelievable, complex developments that usually happens; it's as if that the game's true challenge.

Will Aegis Rim be video game's Primer? I don't know. But I will say that this direction, that is usually about beauty or visual language , doesn't typically have a wordy approach so when not only your style is as splendid as your substance, it's like you made it to that high echelon of fiction. Through 13 Sentinels, Vanillaware has proven their selves that they are not only masters of the brush but also that of the pen.

3. [PC] [Roguelike] [Supergiant Games] Hades
  4. [PS4] [Action Adventure] [Sucker Punch Productions] Ghost of Tsushima
  5. [PC] [Shooter] [id Software] Doom Eternal
  7. [PS4] [Beat 'em up] [DotEmu] Streets of Rage 4
  8. [PS5] [Adventure] [Young Horses] Bugsnax
  9. [PS5] [Action Adventure] [Insomniac Games] Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  10. [PS4] [Adventure] [Vanillaware] 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I won't be writing about my selections as loquaciously as in years past, nor will I be elaborating on some of my down-ballot picks, for lack of time—but for the sake of a snapshot of the moment, here is a list.

Usual caveats apply: despite the extended timeframe for this process, many 2020 releases that caught my attention are still deep in the backlog, and I'm not quite finished with everything I want to see even with the games that did make the list below. The ranks, as always, are approximate and provisional, an excuse to jot down a quick blurb, and nothing to take that seriously.

1. Factorio

Since 2016, when I first became absorbed in this landmark of sandbox engineering in a much earlier state, I have been saying every year that this was almost certain to be my number-one-in-waiting as soon as it was eligible, whenever the developers decided to close the book on it and declare it released. Perhaps that wouldn't have been true of every year since, but in the class of 2020, the coast was clear. And there truly is no understating the significance of this game in the field of base-building and economy management: I have long described Factorio as the true and totalizing successor to everything that Maxis attempted in the simulate-everything prime of its flourishing, and am confident that in the long run, it can and will be spoken of in the same breath as SimCity. It represents a leap of several generations in scalability and polish, thanks primarily to its principal achievement, the elegant extrapolation of its central unifying objective—automate everything and anything—towards the finest solution to date to one of the most notorious design challenges facing builder games in every subgenre: how to keep late-game expansion vibrant and playable without sinking under the weight of its own micromanagement, but without stripping away the granularity of the player's control. To place Factorio on this pedestal at long last is the main reason I have bothered to compose this list.

2. Ori and the Will of the Wisps

In so many ways, Will of the Wisps is to Ori and the Blind Forest as Tropical Freeze was to DKC Returns—an analogy that comes naturally when so much of what distinguishes the Ori games in the Metroid-alike space is the platforming spectacle of fluid analogue movement and environmental interaction whose closest cousin is Retro-era DKC. It's not unfair to say that almost every mechanical departure in Will of the Wisps from its predecessor seems lifted wholesale from Hollow Knight—which, while derivative, works out for the best when the ideas are fundamentally sound—but what elevates the game are the little things: the significantly improved visibility and fairness of the escape sequences, the earlier accumulation of the suite of movement skills that make the traversal sing, the Zelda-like weapon system, and best of all, the map's greater receptiveness to following your curiosity. Not every innovation in Blind Forest returns, and some are missed, but on the whole Will of the Wisps comes off as the fulfilment of what the original game aspired to be. It's all the same luminiscence and mournful serenity, but this time without the friction between the exploration structure and instant-kill challenges that, in the first game, seemed designed more to be watched than played. Blind Forest, at its worst, made that tension look incommensurable; Will of the Wisps begs one to reconsider.

3. Hades

Much has been said about what Hades brings to the rogue-lite format purely by the force of narrative contextualization, but we don't hear nearly enough about its revitalization of the isometric, Diablo-like beat-'em-up format that is Supergiant's bread and butter. For the grind-averse player who wants a game to deliver a series of interesting decisions, Hades is Diablo at its leanest and best, as it pulls away entirely from the carrot-chasing incrementalism of gear grinds to instead revolve around the bold, distinctive skill-building decisions that we traditionally associate with an early levelling phase. The true test of both of its genre lineages is whether, at the point you eventually tire of the game and drop it—and inevitably, that point will come—you can look back at it as time well spent, not as a flickering memory of burnout and compulsion. That Hades manages to escape this trap is perhaps more fulfilling than the player's escapes themselves.

4. Cyberpunk 2077

Messy and yet tremendous, what lingers the most about inhabiting Night City—and it's truly there to be inhabited—is its overwhelming spirit of oddball idiosyncrasy and wild experiment on a scale that rarely ever survives into a product of this scope, one that tries to promise everything and be everything. At first glance, it's a masterwork of interactive architecture that may seem to empty out as you look closer: but to look closer still is to be amply rewarded with the boutique design of its hand-crafted micronarratives, interior level design, and quest structures. Stripped down to its fundamentals, Cyberpunk suffices well enough as a less mechanically refined Deus Ex in an open format that is chiefly notable for the boundary-free fluidity between its overworld and mission spaces, where buildings and targets are often approachable from any direction and at any height. All of this is principally let down by the enemy behaviour—the most debilitating strike against a game where the responsiveness of adversaries to player actions is so critical to stealth mechanics—but as with Xenoblade X before it, such is the all-enveloping magnificence of Cyberpunk's game world itself, with highs that are so staggeringly high, that anything we might itemize as defects and flaws is all so easy to forgive.

5. Animal Crossing: New Horizons

This will always be the defining game of the pandemic, and it may well be fruitless to extract it from that context and evaluate it as software alone. On a long scale, which is how Animal Crossing is meant to be played, it becomes hard to ignore that New Horizons' pleasures as a private garden are so completely dependent on user-generated content that the day-to-day framework of life on the island lacks a certain spontaneity and élan. This isn't helped, either, by the deficiencies of the online infrastructure, which make it look all the more remarkable the game ever managed to have such traction as a mass-cultural social environment. But to fixate on these misgivings is to gravely understate just what a considerable jump it was for the series to open up personalization and artistic expression on the scale of its entire outdoor scale; the housing, as the traditional unit of customization, now looks so comparatively meagre as to be an afterthought. For better or for worse, the island is what you make of it, no more and no less. And you can make so very much.

6. Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity — Coming off the repetitive slightness of the first Hyrule Warriors, a fleeting delight that wore out its welcome quickly as the spitting image of quantity over quality, Age of Calamity took me completely by surprise with the the quality of its combat and the integration of its side content with the main experience, but most of all, the incredibly well-conceived and distinct flavour of every character's move set.

7. Paper Mario: The Origami King — Notable principally for its inventive battle system, which the game's content arguably doesn't push nearly hard enough to its full potential as a paradise for puzzle pushers.

8. Super Mario Bros. 35 — Clever beyond belief as an ample demonstration of how sublime SMB's level design always was from the start, down to every brick and coin; just not with us for much longer, for all the wrong reasons.

9. Fire Emblem: Three Houses — Cindered Shadows — Its preset structure obviously lacks the customization and team-building element critical to a full ex, and Three Houses' problems with map redundancy return once again even in this compact form, but if this is the way forward for dynamic and meticulous Conquest-like scenario design to prevail in the series, I am all for it. Some inspired elaborations of the base game's boss mechanics and character movement trickery.

10. Super Crush KO — Criminally overlooked arcade marriage of Graceful Explosion Machine and 2D combo brawlers like Viewtiful Joe, to the point that it didn't even appear in the drop-down box.

Previous ballots: 2017, 2018, 2019.

1. [PC] [Simulation] [Wube Software] Factorio
  2. [Switch] [Metroidvania] [Moon Studios] Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  4. [PC] [Action RPG] [CD Projekt] Cyberpunk 2077
  5. [Switch] [Simulation] [Nintendo] Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  6. [Switch] [Hack and slash] [Omega Force] Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
  7. [Switch] [RPG] [Intelligent Systems] Paper Mario: The Origami King
  8. [Switch] [Platformer] [Arika] Super Mario Bros. 35
  9. [Switch] [Tactical role-playing] [Nintendo] Fire Emblem: Three Houses: Cindered Shadows
  10. [Switch] [Platformer][Vertex Pop] Super Crush KO

Cyber6x

Nov 11, 2017
1. Hades - This game has everything! Captivating story, charming characters, tense bossfights, tight controls, a great gameplay loop. It's pure perfection of a roguelike.

2. 13 Sentinels - I was so invested in the characters by the end that throughout the ending I couldn't stop smiling. The combat sections grew on me to the point where I want to S rank them all now.

3. The Last of Us Part II - A challenging sequel to my favourite game of last gen, it became difficult to play at some points. However many scenes and in particular the ending was such an emotional gut punch I'm glad I got to enjoy it.

4. Ghost of Tsushima - Probably the most beautiful game with combat I wanted to master. Shout out to the Legends mode too that was surprisingly solid.

5. Genshin Impact - A game I still play everyday for the new additions and hope of getting new characters, hopefully it only gets better from here.

6. Persona 5 Royal
7. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
8: Yakuza: Like A Dragon
9. Final Fantasy VII Remake
10. Resident Evil 3

Status
Not open for further replies.