• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
So, when are we expecting these Game of Thrones "fans" to turn into full-on Star Wars TLJ jerkoffs and being harassing the actors for storylines they didn't write? An hour or two after tomorrow's finale? Or will they give it a couple of days?

What happens when this petition goes absolutely nowhere, is never acknowledged by anyone of importance and it becomes clear that these "fans" are never going to get their way?

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
So, when are we expecting these Game of Thrones "fans" to turn into full-on Star Wars TLJ jerkoffs and being harassing the actors for storylines they didn't write? An hour or two after tomorrow's finale? Or will they give it a couple of days?

What happens when this petition goes absolutely nowhere, is never acknowledged by anyone of importance and it becomes clear that these "fans" are never going to get their way?
New Batman petition(there are multiple already), new star wars petition........there will be a new flavor of the month.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

Most people I've seen have been very supportive of the actors, many of whom have themselves expressed discontent.

I don't think 95% of people signing this petition actually think the season could or would be remade. It's just a tool by which to aggregate displeasure in a quantifiable sense.

I imagine we can all agree that any form of harassment is wrong, period. Trying to conflate everyone expressing or signing their criticism with said abusers is stupidly disingenuous, though.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I'm hopeful it doesn't happen for a few reasons. I think they are different audiences, not that there isn't overlap. I don't know that GOT fans are as "die-hard" or whatever, Star Wars has been around for like 40 years. People also still have the books to see what happens there, GOT is kind of an ancillary thing to the books, maybe people see it as less of the "definitive" version.
It's def going to follow D&D around forever. Hopefully all that comes from it is maybe some fan edits or writing or people remaking it in some B-movie fashion. To me, GOT is a landmark series as far as how many people are watching but I don't see it having much of a huge life outside of it ending, I don't think there will be GOT conventions or anything for years to come, it's more of a moment thing than an enduring legacy.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018

Except TLJ is actually as terrible as season 8.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most people I've seen have been very supportive of the actors, many of whom have themselves expressed discontent.

I don't think 95% of people signing this petition actually think the season could or would be remade. It's just a tool by which to aggregate displeasure in a quantifiable sense.

I imagine we can all agree that any form of harassment is wrong, period. Trying to conflate everyone expressing or signing their criticism with said abusers is stupidly disingenuous, though.

Exactly, I've been watching a bunch a YouTube videos and a lot of channels are very disappointed in the writing but pretty much all of them are praising the actors, set designers, Ramin Djawadi, etc.... Same goes for my friends.

And all of those people have legit done a fantastic job.

Of course there's going to be some people that are going to go over the line, it wouldn't be surprise me. But demonising the 1 million people who have signed this so far is short sighted as hell.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Just about everyone is praising the actors and production crew. Not their fault. Everyone knows that. Even r/FreeFolk has been showing nothing but support for them. The petition page even linked Emilia Clarke's charity "SameYou" and asked people to donate to her cause. The writers on the other hand are getting mauled. Freefolk is digging up all this dirt on them. They ( the writers) really do seem like total douche bags.

https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/c...he_hate_they_get_its/?st=jvud6u7o&sh=85196325

The petition doesnt even matter, what AT&T ( HBO's new owner) need to worry about is what damage this does to the next series, merchandising, and their new streaming service.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

They are going to cry into their khaleesi t-shirts, before burning them like King's Landing.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018

Wow! LMAO!

• Jon Snow pets the damn dire wolf and then animorphs into a dire wolf. This is non-negotiable.
  • There is at least one fight scene where The Hound fights while carrying Arya Stark on his shoulders to make an unstoppable super warrior. Probably how he defeats The Mountain. Also a scene where The Hound throws Arya over a super high wall and then she ties a rope so he can climb up. HOW was this idea not used anywhere in the show???
  • Then we are in the final two episodes as the strongest warrior in Westeros. Super cool armor that is all black but with like a golden dragon symbol on the chest. We fight the Night King who made it all the way to King's Landing because that is much cooler and they're like "Where did this powerful warrior come from this seems unrelated to the story" and Daenerys is like he is my hunky knight husband and he will save us all and then Bran wheels out and starts talking about some cool lore George R.R. Martin made up about us from 700 years ago to prove how cool we are and maybe there is a flashback to when we fought giants or killed one of the mega dragons from the age of the mega dragons.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
You know, this could just lead to Dan and Dave agreeing to let someone else write a new Game of Thrones show with a new cast, set hundreds of years later.

These spinoff shows are probably going to flop if they don't use the same basic formula.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Very good article:

https://www.polygon.com/comics/2019...f-thrones-season-8-petition-rewrite-star-wars

You can't change your favorite pop culture — but you can change how you engage with it

This is a message many fans don't want to hear, as they angle for nothing less than control of their favorite franchises. One group of Star Wars fans requested that Lucasfilm remake Star Wars: The Last Jedi in order to "save" the series. And this week a group of Game of Thrones fans released a Change.org petition asking HBO to remake the final season of Game of Thrones with "competent writers." It currently has over 820,000 signatures.
But a story is not a conversation, it's a statement. And there is a healthier way — healthier for our culture, and healthier for you — to react when you feel betrayed by something you love.
[...] This felt like a betrayal of my own identity, at first. I was a person who read every Batman Comic. I'd been that person throughout my formative teenage years into adulthood. Knowing that I knew what was going on in every single Batman storyline was like a mental safety blanket.

But it came with a hard truth that I'd yet to internalize: I didn't own Batman. I had always known this in the literal, legal sense. But I had also always somewhat believed that my dedication to his stories meant that I was owed something, at least in some metaphorical way. The character was mine, and my feelings about each arc mattered in way that transcended those of most fans.

That's a toxic attitude, and it's one that seems incredibly common in our current media landscape.
[...] That's not to say you shouldn't criticize it. A critic, no matter how many internet commenters pretend otherwise, is not the opposite of a fan. The critical voice has to exist for art to get better; people have to feel comfortable criticizing the things they love and holding them accountable for the impact they may have on the world.

But criticism isn't, by itself, a call for something to be destroyed, revised, or taken away from its creators — it's not asking for control. It's a necessary function of our interactions with pop culture that is in many ways cheapened by these calls to erase and re-create something to meet the expectations of certain fans.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

Takes things a bit too literally in order to pontificate. Sorry — you know what's healthier for culture? For straight white men who put out sexist, racist, homophobic and all around poor writing to fail ever upward, embraced to steer the future of major pop cultural franchises.

It's not a bad thing that HBO are getting bad PR for this debacle, and it's also not a bad thing on the unlikely off-chance that it makes Disney reconsider their hiring practices. This isn't really fans having misplaced "expectations," it's fans rightfully indignant that they invested a decade of attention and money into something, only for it to end in such an unnecessarily rushed manner, with the writers basically ejaculating on to a paper and calling it a script.

Harassment is unhealthy. Signing a petition is simply a statement — and in this case, the statement shouldn't be taken literally. People don't think HBO will actually remake anything, but asking them drives home just how dissatisfied a shocking amount of their subscribers are with this situation.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Takes things a bit too literally in order to pontificate. Sorry — you know what's healthier for culture? For straight white men who put out sexist, racist, homophobic and all around poor writing to fail ever upward, embraced to steer the future of major pop cultural franchises.

It's not a bad thing that HBO are getting bad PR for this debacle, and it's also not a bad thing on the unlikely off-chance that it makes Disney reconsider their hiring practices. This isn't really fans having misplaced "expectations," it's fans rightfully indignant that they invested a decade of attention and money into something, only for it to end in such an unnecessarily rushed manner, with the writers basically ejaculating on to a paper and calling it a script.

Harassment is unhealthy. Signing a petition is simply a statement — and in this case, the statement shouldn't be taken literally. People don't think HBO will actually remake anything, but asking them drives home just how dissatisfied a shocking amount of their subscribers are with this situation.
This i agree with.
I Think a lot of people vote for different reasons though. But a signal to show you're unhappy with such rushed content is a good thing. Not sure this petition is the best way. But since it gets so much attention, maybe it is. I'm having a hard time judging people's sincerity still. And that won't change, knowing people. But your post makes me rethink my stance on this thing. As a signal it certainly works right now. Of course, we'll now get petitions for every fart. Like the leading role for Batman....

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
This i agree with.
I Think a lot of people vote for different reasons though. But a signal to show you're unhappy with such rushed content is a good thing. Not sure this petition is the best way. But since it gets so much attention, maybe it is. I'm having a hard time judging people's sincerity still. And that won't change, knowing people. But your post makes me rethink my stance on this thing. As a signal it certainly works right now. Of course, we'll now get petitions for every fart. Like the leading role for Batman....

What I like about the article is how they say that a story is not a two-way conversation, but a statement. Creators should absolutely be criticized and be held accountable for their work, but asking for it to be destroyed and/or revised is really not the right signal to show you're unhappy with the handling of a story.

But you're headed to a dangerous, toxic place the moment that you cross the line from explaining what changes you would have made to arguing that you should be able to force HBO or the show's creators to make those changes.

At that point you're not upset about Game of Thrones, you're upset because you feel that the thing that you feel makes up a part of who you are was treated poorly. It's not about a character being treated unfairly, it's about you being treated unfairly. But you weren't treated unfairly. You got exactly as much as the creator owed you: Their work.

Last edited:

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This, I've long argued against the idea of these "remake" ideas and, despite my frustration at the Mass Effect 3 ending, was confused and annoyed that they actually went and retconned it because I feel like it indicates a total lack of confidence in your storytelling ideas. I signed this petition not because I literally want them to remake GoT or even think that it's possible, but simply because it took ten seconds of my time to demonstrate how frustrated I am in how this played out. They made their shitty bed and now they need to lie in it, but that doesn't mean we can't express metaphorical frustration by signing the petition anyway.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
What I like about the article is how they say that a story is not a two-way conversation, but a statement. Creators should absolutely be criticized and be held accountable for their work, but asking for it to be destroyed and/or revised is really not the right signal to show you're unhappy with the handling of a story.
In order for it to be a two way conversation D&D needs to contribute, which I don't believe they have done. I don't want to say they owe people an explanation, they don't, but there can't be any moving forward with conversation unless they talk about why they made the decisions they did and acknowledge the frustration of some fans.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Actually a terrible article that conveniently misses the point that this is about sending a message not actually remaking the season. It is a much easier position to ignore the nuance of this situation and to take the petition literally. Very disingenuous.

Sending a message about what? They are done with the show. They can't change anything to appease the haters now. Yelling to artists about how much you hate their work is not sending a message. Cancel your HBO and don't watch the finale if you want to send a message.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Sending a message about what? They are done with the show. They can't change anything to appease the haters now. Yelling to artists about how much you hate their work is not sending a message. Cancel your HBO and don't watch the finale if you want to send a message.

Two solid messages off the top of my head. For networks to not enable the rushing of a final season just because the writers want to move on to the next project and to writers that emphasize vapid shocking moments over everything else. There are many lessons that are being learned by this horrible season. I think writers everywhere are taking notes and so are networks.

As for my HBO sub unfortunately I'm paid for the month but I'll be cancelling soon enough, most people will be whether they like the show or not simply because the show is over so I'm not sure that sends much of a message.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

Actually, it does send a message — hence all the embarrassing media coverage for them and for HBO. It tells them not to let showrunners torpedo their shows into the ground with half the number of seasons HBO offered, in spectacularly misogynistic fashion at that.

Best case scenario, it would make Disney more cautious in their future dealings with these dumbasses.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Actually a terrible article that conveniently misses the point that this is about sending a message not actually remaking the season. It is a much easier position to ignore the nuance of this situation and to take the petition literally. Very disingenuous.
There's no nuance here, just one of the dumbest fandoms currently going continuing to be petty and dumb

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
So many notes being taken...

Most watched episode ever last week.
More viewers this week.

But, yes. That petition that <5% of viewers signed is REALLY making waves.

Sad!

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Two solid messages off the top of my head. For networks to not enable the rushing of a final season just because the writers want to move on to the next project and to writers that emphasize vapid shocking moments over everything else. There are many lessons that are being learned by this horrible season. I think writers everywhere are taking notes and so are networks.

For every show that feels rushed to the end there are 10 the dragged on way too fucking long just because they were making a lot of money and should have been ended sooner. They certainly didn't get the pacing perfect the last two seasons, but wrapping up an epic story - which you signed on to adapt not write the ending to - is really fucking hard (ask GRRM) Maybe try being a bit empathetic to people who have worked their asses off to finish this story and have delivered a season that has had some pretty amazing moments even if it hasn't been perfect.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
For every show that feels rushed to the end there are 10 the dragged on way too fucking long just because they were making a lot of money and should have been ended sooner. They certainly didn't get the pacing perfect the last two seasons, but wrapping up an epic story - which you signed on to adapt not write the ending to - is really fucking hard (ask GRRM) Maybe try being a bit empathetic to people who have worked their asses off to finish this story and have delivered a season that has had some pretty amazing moments even if it hasn't been perfect.

I know you really like the season and have seen you post a lot defending it so I'm not gonna go back and forth again accept that I disagree. "They certainly didn't get the pacing perfect the last two seasons" is the understatement of the year.

I also think the angle you are now taking that we are not empathetic because people worked hard on the show so I shouldn't criticize, is a cheap tactic. D&D are all about "moments" but I can't think of any good ones that weren't derived from terrible contrivances. So ya I disagree with your post entirely but that's ok.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
If the only intent was to voice displeasure then it wouldn't have been a petition to reshoot the entirety of season 8. That's plain old revisionism. The intent is stated right there plain as day in the petition. Hell if it were a petition with just the statement 'a message to HBO' or thereabouts then the claim that it's just sending a message about our collective displeasure would be true. As it stands it just had to have that controlling, possessive bit thrown in there, and by bit I mean the whole point of the thing.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018

I understand what you're getting at. But the point that is made in the article is not that fan shouldn't "send a message", it's that this exact kind of message is actually toxic and unhealthy.

And signing a petition that has the title "Remake Game of Thrones Season 8 with competent writers", with a statement like "This series deserves a final season that makes sense" in its explanation is not actually about remaking the season? It's a bit weird, don't you think? I think the message sent to them should be clarified if there is any hope for it to be understood.

I'll requote this from the Polygon article because I believe it's very true:

But you're headed to a dangerous, toxic place the moment that you cross the line from explaining what changes you would have made to arguing that you should be able to force HBO or the show's creators to make those changes.

At that point you're not upset about Game of Thrones, you're upset because you feel that the thing that you feel makes up a part of who you are was treated poorly. It's not about a character being treated unfairly, it's about you being treated unfairly. But you weren't treated unfairly. You got exactly as much as the creator owed you: Their work.

In order for it to be a two way conversation D&D needs to contribute, which I don't believe they have done. I don't want to say they owe people an explanation, they don't, but there can't be any moving forward with conversation unless they talk about why they made the decisions they did and acknowledge the frustration of some fans.

But a story is NOT a conversation, that's the point.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I know you really like the season and have seen you post a lot defending it so I'm not gonna go back and forth again accept that I disagree. "They certainly didn't get the pacing perfect the last two seasons" is the understatement of the year.

I also think the angle you are now taking that we are not empathetic because people worked hard on the show so I shouldn't criticize, is a cheap tactic. D&D are all about "moments" but I can't think of any good ones that weren't derived from terrible contrivances. So ya I disagree with your post entirely but that's ok.

There is a difference between criticism and what this petition is. I worry that people can't see that. Even you said the goal was sending a message to artists and future employers of those artists- that isn't criticism, that is a crusade.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Seriously, at the end of the day this is a TV show. It's an ancillary product to the original and you still have the source. To get this riled up over it instead of just admitting it sucked and move on is really sad. Stop making pop culture such a core part of your identity.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
There is a difference between criticism and what this petition is. I worry that people can't see that.

You can actually worry less because I suspect the SW trilogy will be a better product now that D&D realize the importance of things making sense and that they can't just say a character "forgot" when they need to contrive a dire situation. Every prominent happening in the past two episodes derived from Dany "forgetting about the Iron fleet" LOL!

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
But a story is NOT a conversation, that's the point.
Fans show their pleasure or displeasure with stories all the time. If they choose to make no changes or explanations, that is their decision, but there is no harm in politely making it known the desire for it is there.
I understand what you're getting at. But the point that is made in the article is not that fan shouldn't "send a message", it's that this exact kind of message is actually toxic and unhealthy.
It is not toxic to sign a petition, it is one of the more benign and passive ways to get a point across.
Seriously, at the end of the day this is a TV show. It's an ancillary product to the original and you still have the source. To get this riled up over it instead of just admitting it sucked and move on is really sad. Stop making pop culture such a core part of your identity.
I don't know that someone taking less than a minute to sign a petition is necessarily being "riled up".

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
Actually, it does send a message — hence all the embarrassing media coverage for them and for HBO. It tells them not to let showrunners torpedo their shows into the ground with half the number of seasons HBO offered, in spectacularly misogynistic fashion at that.

Best case scenario, it would make Disney more cautious in their future dealings with these dumbasses.

And people say GOT Season 8 has poor writing that doesn't make any sense...

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017

I think the other decision makers for SW will certainly not be as hands off with D&D in light of how much GoT deteriorated. This could be good or bad depending on who they have to answer to. Had D&D knocked it out of the park and made a terrific final season cementing the show as one of the greatest ever they would have had cart blanche to do whatever they want with the next SW trilogy. I doubt they get that kind of leeway after what they just produced. Or the people running SW are out to lunch also and we get a trilogy with everyone forgetting shit. "This force user fell to the enemy because he forgot how to use a lightsaber."

Thatonedice1

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Working on that also.

I don't think the same is gonna happen mainly because most of the angry game of thrones fans that are upset have a key difference then the TLJ fans. They are mad about Danny's character being handled poorly. Whether people want to admit it or not Danny was a character that resonated with large portions of female audiences. She was someone that empowered women to think of themselves as leaders of armies, liberators of cities, and a friend to the underclass. To have her go against these very key parts of her character is what most fans have a problem with.

The reason why this is different then The Last Jedi is because most of the criticism for it can be co-oped by right leaning commentators. The right was always gonna be upset about Rose and Finn even if their story was written in a better way. I remember when the first trailer for The Force Awakens dropped and people were already mad because Finn was black and the new main character was a girl. This runs counter to the main criticism of game of thrones because the right can't find a way to message it as beneficial to them. They don't care that Danny's story has an unsatisfactory ending because they don't want her story to be a thing to begin with.

I personally haven't seen anyone attack the actors in anyway about the last season. Seen more people raise their criticisms as opposed to criticize them. But that's just my opinion. I personally hope I'm right though.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think the same is gonna happen mainly because most of the angry game of thrones fans that are upset have a key difference then the TLJ fans. They are mad about Danny's character being handled poorly. Whether people want to admit it or not Danny was a character that resonated with large portions of female audiences. She was someone that empowered women to think of themselves as leaders of armies, liberators of cities, and a friend to the underclass. To have her go against these very key parts of her character is what most fans have a problem with.

The reason why this is different then The Last Jedi is because most of the criticism for it can be co-oped by right leaning commentators. The right was always gonna be upset about Rose and Finn even if their story was written in a better way. I remember when the first trailer for The Force Awakens dropped and people were already mad because Finn was black and the new main character was a girl. This runs counter to the main criticism of game of thrones because the right can't find a way to message it as beneficial to them. They don't care that Danny's story has an unsatisfactory ending because they don't want her story to be a thing to begin with.

I personally haven't seen anyone attack the actors in anyway about the last season. Seen more people raise their criticisms as opposed to criticize them. But that's just my opinion. I personally hope I'm right though.

I agree with your thoughts and like this post. However I have seen posters on this forum complaining about Jon "no longer being the lead" and not having a traditional Hero's Journey. We may get people who have that type of criticism take over the direction of the toxicity.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't seen anyone blame the actors, everyone knows it's all on D&D.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. There could be a more clear signal than this petition probably.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
If anything, this season has resulted in more compliments for the actors than there have been in recent seasons.

Most of them are couched in "they are doing a good job trying to sell shitty material", but still

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
I hate season 8, but this type of shit is just too much. People need to not get so invested in fiction. They should focus more on fixing real life than fixing a TV show.

Last edited:

Quinton

Specialist at TheGamer / Reviewer at RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar, With Love
Make sure no one leaves the polling booth without signing my petition for a Matsuno/Itou/Yoshida-led Final Fantasy XVI