• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 10, 2018
I feel like I'm in an extreme minority in regard to liking and being thoroughly entertained by GoT despite its flaws. The extreme hate is just exhausting, whether it's GoT, SW, whatever.

I didn't start to read about peoples impressions of GoT until this season. And I'm glad I did because it's mostly just exhausting, as you say. This happened to me when I played Bioshock Infinite and Mass Effect 3 as well. I totally loved those two games from beginning to end and I was surprised to see a shitstorm when I started reading peoples impressions. It has honestly made me question the point of even reading what other people think. In the end I really don't care wheather people agree or don't agree with me. My first impressions will mostly always be my most important ones because they are entirely unique to myself.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I don't see that at all.
Young Griff is an invader for sure but is going to be somewhat charismatic and charming. He already has the support of Dorne, has Varys and Illyrio backing him up. He's going to have a temper but he's going to be the "perfect" king (if he makes it that far)—then Dany is now going to become the usurper, the one who is determined to take what she believes is her birthright with fire and blood. Dany's full-fledged madness will come shortly after.
Nah.

Assuming the book will still end with Crazy Dany burning King's Landing, i think Young Griff might take the throne in Winds, be a good king, participate in the fight against the zombies, and tell Dany to fuck off when she ask him to give her the throne once the dead are dealt with. Prompting her to burn the city as a response because she could not accept that.

You've changed my mind. Both these ideas are better and make more logical sense. That would create a logical explanation for Danny going crazy. Makes me even more excited for the books!

In fact, since ASOIAF is loosely based on the War of the Roses........

wouldn't this then make Young Griff the Henry Tudor in this story?

Nov 18, 2017
I'm a Dany fan and disappointed at what they've done to her just let it go. HBO isn't going to do this. Wait until the eventually reboot.

What happened to her has literally been foreshadowed the entire series, and was obvious in ep2 when she pulled away from Sansa. As soon as ep3 tied up the other thread it was obvious what was going to happen in the endgame.

It's also nothing like LOST. That ending rendered the entire show incoherent and inconsistent. GOT by comparison is still telling a linear story with internal consistency in tact - it's just a rushed, dumbed-down ending.

Edit: The petition just passed 250k.

Last edited:

Miso

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Northen Beaches
I'd like to thank D&D for giving us the extra enjoyment of these epic meltdowns.

Sure S8 is a bit of a let down but this almost makes up for it.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone knows that this is not gonna happen lmao, it's just for shits and giggles. But christ, I do wish they'd remake the seasons that were original content to adapt the books when GRR Martin is done

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
What happened to her has literally been foreshadowed the entire series, and was obvious in ep2 when she pulled away from Sansa. As soon as ep3 tied up the other thread it was obvious what was going to happen in the endgame.

It's also nothing like LOST. That ending rendered the entire show incoherent and inconsistent. GOT by comparison is still telling a linear story with internal consistency in tact - it's just a rushed, dumbed-down ending.

Thinking about it I think you're right. It might have been season 2 when a city tried to stop her from getting in and she threatened to kill them with her dragons for not obeying her command so it's plausible she'd go full mad Targaryen.

Everyone knows that this is not gonna happen lmao, it's just for shits and giggles. But christ, I do wish they'd remake the seasons that were original content to adapt the books when GRR Martin is done

This is a matter of when not if, GoT popularity made sure of that. I'd say 10 years, minimum.

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Imaging being so far out there that you actually think a petition would make them re-shoot the entire season.
What is going on with these people?

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
Imaging being so far out there that you actually think a petition would make them re-shoot the entire season.
What is going on with these people?

I do not think anyone expects them to do it but just the fun of having the petition making noise makes it worth it. The headline petition to reshoot season 8 reaches 250k is pure gold.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Nah. I'm thinking...

Young Griff

Will be the one who goes crazy and starts killing innocent civilians. He's already invaded well ahead of Daenerys.

I'm thinking the opposite. He will have taken Kings Landing, ruling it justly as a legitimate king, and this is what makes Daenerys flip and eventually burn the City. She has built her whole identity around Westeros being her birthright. Add a more reasonable escalation of her more aggressive traits, and you have a far more interesting scenario than we had in the show.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
That'll never happen, lol. As much as I wish season 8 weren't a flaming heap of squandered storylines, we're not getting a second version until or unless the books are finished.

They should let Night King kill everyone in the new one.
Yep. With a Stark or two left alive to carry "dreams of spring" through the long winter. The epilogue could show them helping to rebuild society, or founding a resistance, or at least show something that hints at the Night King's eventual defeat.

I know that a competent writer could spin these fanfic ideas into something much more compelling than what we got in season 8.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
I do think HBO will try and put together a sequel series down the road in addition to who knows how many prequels. It'll be a big fantasy competition between HBO and Amazon. Martin vs. Tolkein.

Yup, this franchise is going to go on for decades. I believe originally they had six pitches for spin-off series before they settled on the prequel.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017

The problem with the twist is that the writers seem to confuse foreshadowing with character development. While it might've been foreshadowed, at no point does it seem plausible that Daenarys as built up in this show have gone fully genocidal for no reason. Dany in the show has always had a violent side, but at the same time the writers have always written her as a generally good person. It's a thing they have very deliberately done to get that 'shock value' moment in this latest episode, as even in the latest episode you have Dany claiming 'our mercy for future generations is our strength', yet she completely handwaves this away three scenes later where she kills all these future generations.

And while you could say "Well, she lost all people dear to her", that happened in the two episodes before the episode where she went crazy and once again, there was no reason to assume that she wouldn't just attack Cersei out of revenge and instead target everyone in the city but Cersei. This is somehow made even worse by the Inside the Episode where D.B. Weiss confirms that Dany only decided to go on her genocidal rampage after the city has already surrendered, somehow making her seeing the Red Keep the defining factor.

An easy comparison can be made with the way Harry Potter's Snape twist was handled. Alan Rickman was told very early on by J.K. Rowling that her plan for Snape was that he wasn't the villain he seemed to be, this allowed Rickman to play Snape with a bit of a mysterious edge. GRRM apparently told D&D very early that Dany would burn the city and go 'mad' (something that is more obvious in the books), yet D&D kept writing Dany as the saviour of the innocents and poor. Emilia Clarke apparently also wasn't told until this season that this was the way her character would go, which made her acting also seem very earnest, at no point would anyone assume Dany as played in the last seasons is balancing on the edge of being sane and good or a total maniac.

The worst thing is that even within this last episode the twist could've made narrative sense. What if she had gone straight to the Red Keep and had burned all the people crowded in front of and in the Red Keep because they were in the way between her and Cersei and she was just so crazed by revenge that she didn't care for collateral? That would've been way better than her murdering innocent men, women and children just because.

Last edited:

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
I haven't seen this season myself, just impressions second hand and while it sounds disappointing I'll take it over True Blood's last season. That went out with a whimper.

Am4terasu

May 8, 2019
They would have to restart at season 5 to fix the problems of the last episodes.
THIS.

Totally agree. I don't really like what they're doing since S7, but I do get why. When they were following the books, everything went forward like a chess game. Decisions and action that didn't seem to be related ended up being intertwined and character development could take place because they had time to do it. But since S7, since the showrunners wanted to end the show, even if HBO gave them the possibility to keep producing it, I guess they had to confront the fact that they had only 13 episodes to get where they had to get. And this annoys me to unexpected levels, because the style of the show has changed completely.

So, yes, they would need to remake the show since at least S7 to fix things up.

Nov 18, 2017
The problem with the twist is that the writers seem to confuse foreshadowing with character development. .

Yeah I agree, but that's where rushing it becomes an issue. And a lack of writing talent.

They had a problem of replicating GRRM dialogue, but instead of getting writers on the task in the 5-6 years head start they gave themselves, they have instead completely swerved the challenge by reducing the dialogue to a minimum. This was a show full of rich characterisation and dialogue and now it's incredibly sparse, with characters communicating in brief, minimal sentences. It smacks of fear. I'd take lines like "bad pussy" over the dead air that accompanies most conversations.

But S8 still isn't as bad as S7 imo. The zombie fetch quest and associated plot contrivances were a total waste of time which should've been spent fleshing out the final season arcs.

Last edited:

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
GoT fans be like:
200.gif
The real twist of season 8 is that Emilia Clarke can act,that came out of nowhere.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Indeed.

It bogs my mind that people are PROTESTING the bells scene.

Bunchload of mankids who begged for nuance and mocked the writing, and when you get one scene of war where the "bad guys" surrender and the "good guys" do what "good guys" do when they win and they flip their shit.

People are still pinning the monstruosity on Dany and they conveniently forget how the second Grey Worm kills a Lannister soldier, the Northerners immediately turn to slaughter, rape and pillaging.

You had an endless sequence of embarassing episodes to complain about, and you get a genuinely great one and you do this.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Remaking the entire GoT series with this budget will probably never happen, or if it does it'll be when we're all dead. They'll also remake LOTR by that point.
Yeah not going to happen.
Just enjoy the last episode.
I agree that there have been too many disappointing events. But we also got some good stuff. It is what it is.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
The Jaime twist was just plain idiotic. I could be convinced of the Dany twist, but Jaime being a good guy for years now then in the space of exactly 1 scene, "sike! idc abt u rofl! >:D" Come on...

Ebrietas-

Mar 2, 2019
5/6 were fine- it's clear that book 6 is basically done in terms of plot, outline, etc. and is just in GRRM's endless revision phase.

Meanwhile, Book 7 only has a plot outline, so everything just went off the rails when the writers had to figure out how to do it themselves.

The events of book 6 will not in any way be similar to season 6. The show diverged from the books way before they even adapted all the released books

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
The petition should have happened when we found out the ending was going to be truncated like this. Not now.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I'm thinking the opposite. He will have taken Kings Landing, ruling it justly as a legitimate king, and this is what makes Daenerys flip and eventually burn the City. She has built her whole identity around Westeros being her birthright. Add a more reasonable escalation of her more aggressive traits, and you have a far more interesting scenario than we had in the show.

Okay, now three people have said this and it has completely changed my outlook for future novels. Wonder if he'll get one of her dragons?

This makes me want Winds more than ever. Regardless how the show ends, even if the main beats are the same, the way they get there will be totally different to the books.