• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 4, 2018
Remaking S8 without bringing back Stannis is pointless.

Killing Stannis when he was supposed to win at Winterfell is the mistake which led to all of this. The 20 good men destroying all the siege weapons/food and the sellswords taking with them ALL the horses were pure cheat.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017

Killing Stannis when he was supposed to win at Winterfell is the mistake which led to all of this. The 20 good men destroying siege weapons/food and the sellswords taking with them ALL the horses were pure cheat.

Yeah removing Stannis caused them all kinds of problems and was only done to facilitate Battle of the Bastards.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
npZviiObppSnW4lf1UGNPU_6JeU=.gif

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Killing Stannis when he was supposed to win at Winterfell is the mistake which led to all of this. The 20 good men destroying all the siege weapons/food and the sellswords taking with them ALL the horses were pure cheat.
And we already have a built-in way to bring him back.
3dwgjhj26dx21.jpg

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

Exactly. We need GoT: One True King edition. Remake S5-S8.

Stiflers Mom

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I don't get peoples fascination with that sad sack Stannis.
I thought of his character arc as rather interesting. That he needed to accept all this shit about him being the true king was bullshit and he had lost everything for it.

But not idea why people wanted him so badly to succed.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I thought of his character arc as rather interesting. That he needed to accept all this shit about him being the true king was bullshit and he had lost everything for it.

The Stannis arc was completely butchered. The problem is that the writers used some of the cheapest, laziest tricks to force him in an impossible situation. The Twenty Good Men™ moment is still one of the best examples for poor writing on the show. Then, that cheap trick was used to catapult Stannis into sacraficing his own daughter, despite the great lenghts he's previously stated to protect her and keep her alive. It was an unearned moment that was only there for shock value. And what was it for? Just to give Jon some of his storyline from the books. It was a shitty trade-off.

I am not saying that this wouldn't be Stannis' ultiamate fate in the books too - it probably will be - but the road leading there will be considerably better written, that's for sure.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
My initial response is... it's nice to want things.

My immediate follow-up... some people sure care a lot that other people want something that will never happen, enough to write entire articles about it and spew venom on social media. Even when said thing is nothing more than an internet petition with three whole sentences in its description, which anyone can sign in about 1 second of effort and never think about again.

The real story here is someone is well on their way to getting 500,000 'signatures' when all they had to do was write 3 sentences and share the link 😂 It had only 15k 20 hours ago and now has 21x that. Now that is something.

Books will (by hook or by crook) come out someday, everyone should just hold tight until then and occupy themselves with other things while we wait. Until that happens, we can't have a proper context for what a best ending for an adaptation might look like anyway. There's plenty out here to get invested in in the meantime.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018

But not idea why people wanted him so badly to succed.
Because he's one of the best characters in the books and one of the worst in the show. they fucked him

Stiflers Mom

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I think the main reason why this won't happen is that nobody would be stupid enough to write and direct a different season. If that one would be shit as well, it would be hilarious.

HBO would do it. They would get the highest ratings ever, and lots of publicity.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
What happened to her has literally been foreshadowed the entire series, and was obvious in ep2 when she pulled away from Sansa. As soon as ep3 tied up the other thread it was obvious what was going to happen in the endgame.

GOT by comparison is still telling a linear story with internal consistency in tact - it's just a rushed, dumbed-down ending.

That's the entire last two seasons.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
I've thoroughly enjoyed this season of GoT, and I haven't seen a single episode

People are legit insane

Oct 27, 2017
This fan base is way too into this thing that it is unhealthy. Being dissatisfied is one thing, obsessing over every minutia and the amount of negativity everyone is reveling in right now is just sad. What happened to just moving on with your life? Social media I guess.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
dude, I checked out of the online discussion around GOT years ago. the D&D hate was driving me insane.

the old days of our relatively small OT on GAF (plus the community on WiC) were the best, but they are long gone now.

It's so funny because those threads are what got me into the books. Reading the "these books r gud" thread, which I believe was made by Stinkles, and the announcement that HBO was going to start a spec script: There is just so much positivity back then, even after the disappointing too many Feast of Crows had been released. It's so interesting to say this in hindsight, but the positivity of the fan base is what got me interested in reading the books in the first place.

You know what's sad? That I would almost rather join the discussion on SA, which is the most toxic GRRM threads outside of 4chan, but at least you know but there's a humor behind it.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
I didn't care for the last 22 seasons of The Simpsons, I hope you will all follow my lead in petititioning Fox to remake the last few decades of the series.

captainpat

Nov 15, 2017
The only thing stupider than these online petition are the articles that give them coverage. They don't change anything and require no effort to make or sign. Why bother covering then?

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do things like this ever work?

Well they didn't remake seasons 5, 6 and 7 so apparently not.

This fan base is way too into this thing that it is unhealthy. Being dissatisfied is one thing, obsessing over every minutia and the amount of negativity everyone is reveling in right now is just sad. What happened to just moving on with your life? Social media I guess.

I wouldn't mind that so much. The problem here is people obsessing over every detail and being incredibly negative before they had even seen the show. They just read a very simplified leak, react to it, prepare gifs, make and watch youtube videos of how awful it is and then proceed to watch the show with their minds made up. It doesn't matter how good the episodes are, and they have been amazing, when people have already decided to hate it and just want to reinforce that view in an echo chamber.

Why? I have no idea. Doesn't seem particularly healthy to me.

The show, for better or worse is the same or better quality than it has always been. You can compare this to shows like the office or the walking dead to see how a show can actually change for the worse. GOT? It isn't even on the same planet in this regard.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
And we already have a built-in way to bring him back.
3dwgjhj26dx21.jpg
Haha. Oh boy, I would have much rather had this be how Euron goes, than how it happened in the show. His last scene and how it came to be was my only bigger complaint about the episode. Loved pretty much the rest of it, much better than the previous episode which I disliked and also liked this probably bit more than the Long Night.

DigitalT

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't like how fan petitions are given so much attention, they represent the opinion of a fraction of a fraction of the total fan base yet now this is all people wanna talk about.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just let HBO admit seasons 5-8 were a mistake.

Lets do-over.

It can only be better. And HBO keeps their flagship show for 4 more seasons.

Win-win

Lets do this!

*signs petition*

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017
Can they remake the series starting with Season 1 Episode 1? I feel Bran probably wouldn't have survived the fall from the tower. And Jamie and Cersei wouldn't have even put themselves in position to be caught in the first place, given their high ranking positions. And aren't they brother and sister? That's just gross! So really, the whole series needs to be overhauled to make it more realistic and to conform to MY idea of what should have happened.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
At long last, Game of the Throne fans have faced the ancient anime problem of "we're adapting the manga and ran out of source material, so let's rush a half-assed ending in there".

I don't know... maybe they'll get their wish! Maybe they'll start over and continue with the saga after they get more source material to draw from! Wouldn't that make EVERYONE happy?
5f4.gif

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
It's really incredible to me that this is only NOW a thing.

GoT has had garbage writing and logic since season 5.

Jan 4, 2018
STanniskept taking bad decisions after bad decisions. I don't know if he is smarter in the books, but he did not look good strategy wise.

GOT season 5 ending made Stannis look as the most stupid commander ever.

Davos, S06E07 :

Stannis camped here on his way to Winterfell.
[ And that's a good thing?] He was the most experienced commander in Westeros.
He chose this place for a reason.
Those mountains are a natural fortification.
There's a stream down there for the horses

Yet the "20 good men" fiasco happened with the loss of men, "HUNDREDS" of horses, all Stannis' siege engine and nearly the entire food supply.

And the "20 good men" disaster conveniently led to the Shireen sacrifice nonsense because the food and horses were lacking and the army was freezing.

And the on night before the battle, about half of the army has deserted with "ALL THE HORSES".

I mean, shouldn't security inside the camp be at its maximum level on the night before the battle, especially after the 20 good men disaster ?
How the hell Stannis loyalists aren't aware that nearly half of the army was planning to desert ? No leak, no rumor, nothing ?
How the hell have they taken "all the horses" without anyone noticing it ? Are horses silent animals and under no guard ?
Isn't Stannis supposed to be "the most experienced commander in Westeros" ?

Stannis downfall in season 5 is probably the biggest nonsence in GOT and terrible, terrible writing. No way the most experienced commander in Westeros hasn't multiple guard patrols in his camp on the eve of battle and no way he only learns at morning before departure that he lost half of his army and all of his horses.

S05E09:

A band of 20 men, maybe less.
They were in and out before anyone spotted them.
Burnt our food stores to the ground, all our siege weapons destroyed.
- Dozens of tents were-- - Horses? We're still getting a count, but hundreds are dead.
without a single guard sounding the alarm? The northerners know more about their land than we ever will.

Davos in Season 6:

He was the most experienced commander in Westeros. He chose this place for a reason.

giphy.gif

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
GOT season 5 ending made Stannis look as the most stupid commander ever.

Davos, S06E07 :

Yet the "20 good men" fiasco happened with the loss of men, "HUNDREDS" of horses, all Stannis' siege engine and nearly the entire food supply.

And the "20 good men" disaster conveniently led to the Shireen sacrifice nonsense because the food was lacking.

And the on night before the battle, about half of the army has deserted with "ALL THE HORSES".

I mean, shouldn't security inside the camp be at its maximum level on the night before the battle, especially after the 20 good men disaster ?
How the hell Stannis loyalists aren't aware that nearly half of the army was planning to desert ? No leak, no rumor, nothing ?
How the hell have they taken "all the horses" without anyone noticing it ? Are horses silent animals and under no guard ?
Isn't Stannis supposed to be "the most experienced commander in Westeros" ?

Stannis downfall in season 5 is probably the biggest nonsence in GOT and terrible, terrible writing. No way the most experienced commander in Westeros hasn't multiple guard patrols in his camp on the eve of battle and no way he only learns at morning before departure that he lost half of his army and all of his horses.

S05E09:

Davos in Season 6:

giphy.gif

Thank you, this is what I was getting at, but you did a much better job at summing it up. Stannis' writing in S5 was a disaster, it's funny how both before and AFTER his death its emphasised how brilliant of a military strategist he was. Just salt to the wound really.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You mean the seasons that hold a record for most emmy nominations ever as well as most emmy wins ever? The seasons with 93%, 94%, and 93% approval on RT? Those mistakes?

Some real denial going on with this fan base. :lol
But muh narrative

I readily admit that as a visual spectacle this has been unmatched TV.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
You mean the seasons that hold a record for most emmy nominations ever as well as most emmy wins ever? The seasons with 93%, 94%, and 93% approval on RT? Those mistakes?

Some real denial going on with this fan base. :lol
5 and 6 were still good. 7 and 8 have been a mess. 8 more so, but it started with 7. That they still make for good television is a concession that's easy to make, but narratively, they're really quite bad when compared to the previous seasons.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, big "WHAT IF" moment that would actually be pure genius from HBO's / B&B's part if this was intentional - probably not but still, I can speculate :
Just follow me for a minute :
> despite its quality, GoT will garner the same audience it would have if the season had been "best thing ever". Same audiences and same financial success. Also it's the last season, even if it was 100% dumpster fire it would still earn as much.
> showrunners know this, and produce a subpar / low effort season ("I plan to be very drunk...") with terrible choices all along, deliberately.
> backlash inevitably happen, fans are furious, disappointed, and call for a remake of season. See where I'm going now ?
> showrunners then produce the "real" S8 who will leave fans pleased, and garner as much, if not more, audience and money from the hungry fanatics.

Again, It's doubtful this was their intention at all. But antcipating this or not, producing an alternative season would be a genius move at this point.

Just look at our other hobby, videogames : FFXIV, NMS, Siege and all those I forget. Subpar at launch ? Let's "relaunch" them properly for a second round of money (though this was totally not intentional either).

I'd say : go for it (or just remake all ffs, you've already killed all the interesting characters and plot points seasons ago, season 8 can only be a disappointment with such lineage).