• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
ComputerBlue

ComputerBlue

Oct 25, 2017
I think you're reading into nothing. Not sure what you were expecting but it seems fitting to me. Bittersweet, sad that it's over, epic scale, standard things when you're trying to be extremely tight lipped about it. Plus it's just Emmy interviews, not quite promo stuff just yet.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I think you're reading into nothing. Not sure what you were expecting but it seems fitting to me. Bittersweet, sad that it's over, epic scale, standard things when you're trying to be extremely tight lipped about it. Plus it's just Emmy interviews, not quite promo stuff just yet.

You don't try to hype an ending up by saying it's divisive or "brave".

Here's some of the interview quotes that I've seen.

Bauer:

"I thought it was really brave," Bauer said of the ending of the series. "I thought it'd be interesting to see. It's very true to what 'Thrones' is, and knowing how it ends, I don't actually see how it could end any other way.

"I think the whole series has aimed toward this. I obviously can't say what it is. I think there will be divisions because people have grown to identify and like and hate various characters, so everybody has their version of how they want it to end based on those things, but looking at it objectively, I think the way it ends is the way it must end, so I'm just going to leave it at that."

Isaac:

"It won't go the way some people want." Hempstead-Wright told THR. "It will be too happy for some people, or too sad, or too whatever. That's the nature of an ending… Nothing more is coming, and the certainty of it being over will definitely bother people."

Maisie:

What they said: "It's either going to be everything that everyone dreamed of or it's going to be disappointing," she told Radio Times. "It depends what side of the fence you sit on because there's definitely going to be that divide. It depends what people want from the final season. I love it, but you never know."

"I don't know if it's gonna surprise people," she told The Times, "but it's just different to what you think it's gonna be."

Emilia:

"People will scream and people will say, 'That's exactly what I wanted'," Clarke told the Herald Sun.

"And some people will go, 'Huh?' — my mum, probably," she laughed.

'It f***ed me up,' she told Vanity Fair of her character's last moments. 'Knowing that is going to be a lasting flavour in someone's mouth of what Daenerys is… I'm doing all this weird shit. 'You'll know what I mean when you see it.'

Sophie:

"For me - without giving anything away, I guess - I was satisfied with how unpredictable the show's ending really is. People have come up with so many fan theories about how it's going to end and who will end up where and who will end up with who. It really is so unpredictable the way that it ends up. I'm very satisfied with that and I think that the fans will be satisfied with that too."

Kit:

"I think a TV series that's spanned eight, nine years is an incredibly difficult thing to end. I think not everyone's going to be happy, you know, and you can't please everyone.

"My favourite TV shows are The Sopranos,' Breaking Bad,' and The Wire,' and they all ended in a way that… It's never going to satisfy you," Harington said

This is going to be a controversial ending whatever that may be.

OP
OP
ComputerBlue

ComputerBlue

Oct 25, 2017
Those responses are 100% what I would expect them to say and they seem to boil down to what GRRM said years ago, bittersweet. They're all saying the same thing, some will love it, some will hate it, people won't be satisfied, people will be etc. Seems to me like it's going to be exactly what thrones has been, amazing but painful, and very controversial and bittersweet.

Again, not sure what you're expecting or wanting them to say, but those seem very much like the things I'd expect them to say. And it's amazing as well because it shows confidence that regardless of how upsetting the outcome might be, it has to be that way. It won't be Yub Nub or Dany and Jon flying off into the sunset with their newborn or something corny like that lol.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Those responses are 100% what I would expect them to say and they seem to boil down to what GRRM said years ago, bittersweet. They're all saying the same thing, some will love it, some will hate it, people won't be satisfied, people will be etc. Seems to me like it's going to be exactly what thrones has been, amazing but painful, and very controversial and bittersweet.

Again, not sure what you're expecting or wanting them to say, but those seem very much like the things I'd expect them to say. And it's amazing as well because it shows confidence that regardless of how upsetting the outcome might be, it has to be that way. It won't be Yub Nub, lol.

It's interesting that they're trying to temper expectations. I think the way they look at each other before answering implies that they've discussed this before and have a varied opinion on it. Like neither Liam nor Conleth said they liked the ending and neither did Emilia. Nathalie and Isaac said they liked it though.

I don't think it's a bad thing to have a controversial ending. That's far more interesting than something you expect but I'm starting to wonder if this is going to end like one of GRRM's short stories.

Sometimes they have really classic endings and other times.....they get weird (sometimes in a good way).

OP
OP
ComputerBlue

ComputerBlue

Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting that they're trying to temper expectations. I think the way they look at each other before answering implies that they've discussed this before and have a varied opinion on it. Like neither Liam nor Conleth said they liked the ending and neither did Emilia. Nathalie and Isaac said they liked it though.

I don't think it's a bad thing to have a controversial ending. That's far more interesting than something you expect but I'm starting to wonder if this is going to end like one of GRRM's short stories.

Sometimes they have really classic endings and other times.....they get weird (sometimes in a good way).

I don't think they're trying to temper expectations. I think they're just being honest, some people will probably be really upset with it. I know plenty of people on GAF have said over the years. That's it. I'm done with this show. After something major happened, after The Red Wedding, after Sansa got pawned off to Ramsay, after Oberyn. The show constantly guts you, but it's that reason which makes it so good, but at the same time, it kills you because you grow to love someone like Oberyn, too bad, fuck you.

They might be upset with it and the fate of their character too. It's probably going to be a sad ending no matter what because there are still so many beloved characters left and I bet not even half make it to the end.

But even if it does end how some people want it, there will still be loads of them that will be sad that it's over.

illamap

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't really get this ending fetish some people have. For me ending is just an other set of scenes and there has been hundreds of scenes by now.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
From the other thread about anime GoT, I saw this picture of Tyrion and it's awesome.

I prefer these ones:

tumblr_pejnx5Kajy1rs6hqwo10_400.jpg

tumblr_pejnx5Kajy1rs6hqwo6_400.jpg

tumblr_pejnx5Kajy1rs6hqwo4_400.jpg

tumblr_pejnx5Kajy1rs6hqwo1_400.jpg
tumblr_pejnx5Kajy1rs6hqwo8_400.jpg
tumblr_pejnx5Kajy1rs6hqwo2_400.jpg

tumblr_pejnx5Kajy1rs6hqwo9_400.jpg

Jacob4815

Oct 29, 2017
Those interviews are music for my ears. The last thing I want is a predictable and linear ending. More brave and controversial it will be, the better. If it still has sense, of course.

Jacob4815

Oct 29, 2017
New Kit's interview about season 8:
https://winteriscoming.net/2018/09/...y-win-reveals-what-souvenir-he-kept-from-set/

This is going to be so boring, but it's a minefield to say anything. Even in the past when I've said something it gets taken the wrong way, or that I revealed something. Even if I'll say that it's going to be an exciting season, it'll get put out in the wrong way. I don't know how I'm going to deal with this when I actually have to promote the thing, but I don't want anything to get taken wrongly.

LOL I think that something totally terrible and controversial is going to happen to the loved characters. Something Red Wedding-ish or Shireen-ish.

Last edited:

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a thread for show leaks? Saw some big ones last night for season 8 and I'd like to see people's reactions to them.

Oct 28, 2017
England
Is there a thread for show leaks? Saw some big ones last night for season 8 and I'd like to see people's reactions to them.

Could you possibly say where you saw them? I'd quite like to check these spoilers out, if possible.

Nope. I think r/freefolk is open to spoilers and leaks though.

Along with everything else from the looks of it. I've just tried going through four or five pages and it was mostly memes.

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Could you possibly say where you saw them? I'd quite like to check these spoilers out, if possible.

Along with everything else from the looks of it. I've just tried going through four or five pages and it was mostly memes.
Yeah, it was on /r/freefolk. There's a thread that I believe is sticked entitled "Season 8 News and Leaks." Mostly just junk, but there's one in there that is huge.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guys... I started watching the show for the first time recently. I'm on season five.

I was thinking of doing a thread about it when I finished the show but the first question that is so major I couldn't wait finally occurred to me this season..

The zombie apocalypse is literally happening........ why is nobody south of the wall (read: the world) aware? (As of Season 5 Episode 8)

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Guys... I started watching the show for the first time recently. I'm on season five.

I was thinking of doing a thread about it when I finished the show but the first question that is so major I couldn't wait finally occurred to me this season..

The zombie apocalypse is literally happening........ why is nobody south of the wall (read: the world) aware? (As of Season 5 Episode 8)

There's no real evidence of it and people are too concerned with their own wars to help.

Stannis is the only willing to listen and his forces are pretty depleted.

Like the zombie stuff is all happening beyond the wall.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
That feel when you realize it's been 1 year, 1 month and 16 days since the last episode of Game of Thrones aired.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That feel when you've forgotten what happens on most of the show but you get excited cause you get to watch it all over again.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished my rewatch and my wife's first watch of the show. Now we wait.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the series. It good, though season seven is clearly rushed, and some plot points in the last two seasons just seemed to happen too quickly / feel like they're not earned.

Biggest one for me is Tyrion becoming a complete stan for Dany?

--

Random observation: It took me until the end of the series to realize that the flamboyant squire for Robert turns out to be the main guy in the religious cult. I feel like he changed his voice and everything, lol.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Wait book version of Dany had short blonde hair?

Daenerys and Cersei have the same hairstyle.

She loses all her hair when the dragons are born and she loses it all again in the arena when Drogon comes back.

I think the show decided to keep the hair because they didn't want to put Emilia in a bald cap/short hair wig and having both Cersei and Daenerys in blonde short hair might have confused casual viewers.

Pelagic II

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
.....Sooooo when is a trailer/teaser for season 8 finally coming? It's gotta be soon, right?

It has been so long I have forgotten some of the details of season 7.
But I know once footage of next season starts popping up and I rewatch season 7 I will be fully on the hype train again :D

The wait since the end of season 7 has been excruciating....

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
What's the consensus on talking about GRRM's early short stories here? I bring it up because I'm reading a couple of them right now and I'm noticing that some of the characters that show up there have pretty big parallels or even the same names as other characters in the series.

Like I literally saw the names of major characters called Barristan the Bold, Robb & Lyanna in the same story as lovers and also a Hound-like person shows up.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I watched the first season and s2 ep1 - ep3 with a friend who has never seen it - got them hooked. He even borrowed by copy of AGoT. I forgot how good these first two seasons were. It's a shame they traded introspection and measure for pomp once it became a smashing success.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Are they brave enough to leap the story forward decades and show a new Targ on the throne? I am in the camp that thinks it will end with a splintered Seven Kingdoms with Sansa ruling the North, Dany the South, and John dead for real for real this time.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Was trying to google too find out if there was a general BookEra OT. And hot damn did my eyebrows raise when I saw this thread come up. I shit you not all I saw on the link title was "No Book Discussion|OT|IncestERA". Was mad concerned with Era for a second lol.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Was trying to google too find out if there was a general BookEra OT. And hot damn did my eyebrows raise when I saw this thread come up. I shit you not all I saw on the link title was "No Book Discussion|OT|IncestERA". Was mad concerned with Era for a second lol.

I'm not sure why it's no book discussion still. Absolutely nothing can be spoiled or would matter at this point, as we know what was cut. Oh well. I guess show-only viewers just really dislike book discussion. I can see that, from their point of view nothing can be added by knowing X character was actually an amalgamation of Y and Z, or that character B actually lived longer and died in C manner.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I'm not sure why it's no book discussion still. Absolutely nothing can be spoiled or would matter at this point, as we know what was cut. Oh well. I guess show-only viewers just really dislike book discussion. I can see that, from their point of view nothing can be added by knowing X character was actually an amalgamation of Y and Z, or that character B actually lived longer and died in C manner.
It's probably the annoying factor for tv watchers and the fact that the two have enough differences now that they might as well be separate conversations. Granted at least tv watchers get to have an ending to the series they like. I'm stuck waiting for two books that I don't think will ever happen.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It's probably the annoying factor for tv watchers and the fact that the two have enough differences now that they might as well be separate conversations. Granted at least tv watchers get to have an ending to the series they like. I'm stuck waiting for two books that I don't think will ever happen.

Yea. Even the background lore they wouldn't be aware of (though everything that matters is in the bluray extras or free to watch on YouTube now) would only enrich the world for them at this point. It's like only watching the DC tv shows but never ever wanting to learn more about the characters and their world aside from what is shown on the show.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
So ah, has no one seen the new teaser or season 8? It confirms April 2019 for the premiere.

I saw the post on the official page on FB, but couldn't find the official post on YouTube. But that is the teaser.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Maisie Williams: "Out of genuine curiosity, when did you first figure out how you would end Game of Thrones?"

Benioff and Weiss: "Sometime after we finished the third season is when we knew."

Status
Not open for further replies.