• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I held off just to see what would happen in season 7 but Tormund and the rest of the free folk should absolutely hate Sansa right now. They only had like 2,000 fighting men left out of more than 100,000. And the way the battle of the bastards played out, it looks like Sansa used and sacrificed them, likely to clear out their numbers. Tormund already complained about people south of the wall playing games, and it should appear to him that Sansa played a southern trick on them in that slaughter. This after the massacre at Hardhome.

But nope. It's like they don't even care that she let the majority of their people get wiped out. Not a word of complaint.
They don't win that battle unless Ramsay gets baited into sending his rearguard in and the Vale smashes their infantry. He already killed half his vanguard with friendly fire arrows

He was kicking ass and taking names against the ironborn.
Oh yeah the shirtless thing.
mb the kennelmaster daughter rough sex that gets him rock hard to fight hand-to-hand

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
giphy.gif

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Hardhome is probably D&D's greatest achievement that didn't require GRRM's help. Even the pre-Nights Watch stuff worked that episode. Weird.

repeater

Oct 27, 2017
What I find most disappointing about how the level of writing and the plot has deteriorated in the show is that even though Season 1 is extremely faithful to the books, there are a handful of scenes in there that are completely new and unique to the show, and they exhibit fantastic writing and masterful characterization. So clearly the D&D's and co have it in them to go beyond the books in interesting and meaningful ways. I guess the situation they found themselves in having to tie the whole thing together was just too much of a challenge.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The spectacle of Battle of the Bastards was fantastic but the writing was atrocious. There were several plot holes but the biggest was Sansa failing to tell Jon that a massive army was on its way to join Jon. Sansa could have prevented thousands of deaths if she just would've told Jon before he rushed into battle.

That I would assume is because in the books Sansa isn't married to Ramsey, so she probably arrives with the Vale's army without having met Jon first, it's probably how she returns to Winterfell and would have been a pretty big way for her to make her return. Would have been good for her character considering her current position.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
The spectacle of Battle of the Bastards was fantastic but the writing was atrocious. There were several plot holes but the biggest was Sansa failing to tell Jon that a massive army was on its way to join Jon. Sansa could have prevented thousands of deaths if she just would've told Jon before he rushed into battle.
Correct me but Sansa was not 100% whether Vale was arriving or not, and Jon did not want to waste anymore time because Bolton's were amassing forces as well.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I think some of you don't understand how D and D write, and that's understandable. I have always felt that their "badness" has a method.

Step 1: Introduce characters into the conflict for which there is no easy escape/death is likely.
Step 2: Have the characters talk about the conflict.
  • They feel confident/optimistic in their plans.
    • The plans fails or they are diverted from the plan by a last-minute change of circumstances.
  • They feel pessimistic/defeated in their plans.
    • The plan succeeds or they are saved by a last minute change of circumstances.
Step 3: Have the character TALK about the most logical solution to the problem, or introduce what the audience is thinking. This causes the viewer to think they may have reasonable things happen in the scenario. If you don't know what I mean, allow me a few examples:
  • Stannis tells Shireen how important she is.
  • Jon makes a plan to have the Boltons rush in, while Sansa urges caution.
  • Sansa says she would rather die than live with the family who murdered her brother.
  • Multiple characters talk about taking the High Sparrow and his followers into custody.
  • Multiple character propose taking King's Landing to Daenerys.
  • The Blackfish is given the option to return safely to his late sister's castle.
  • Roose Bolton tells Littlefinger that he would be a traitor if he married Ramsay to Sansa.
  • Characters note what a bad plan the wight hunt is.
  • Characters talk about food shortages and the difficulties of marching armies over great distances without supplies, but nothing ever comes of this difficulty except in the case of Stannis. In that case, Stannis is closer to his destination than anyone has ever been to anything in the entire show.
  • Littlefinger tells Sansa what a brilliant military commander Stannis is, and that he will certainly win the battle (see step 2).
Step 4: Stirring sequence in which a lot of killing occurs in a short time, scored by Ramin Djawadi. Always incredible to look at, ignores the most logical outcome proposed in step 3.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know what's the best place to ask this question but what has been the best episode so far that didn't strictly rely on GRR's writing ? Battle of bastards right ? I honestly can't think of one bad thing about that whole episode and I have hated the series since season 5. Probably because it was done in the vacuum.

There have been several episodes with great spectacle, direction, and music -- Hardhome, Battle of the Bastards, Spoils of War (Loot Train), and Winds of Winter (Light of the Seven) stand out in particular.

All have awful plot/writing/character development.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I wish all the direwolves had lived, so they could have a scene of all the Starks warging into their direwolves instantaneously, unprompted right in front of Dany.

She just backs out of the room and leaves Winterfell, their white gazes unmoved.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just realized I kind of don't give a shit about any potential deaths besides Sam or Davos. Only those two would make me sad.

Don't know how this is going to end, but one to really bring everyone to Jon's side is if they have Dany kill Sam somehow.
Ramsay's weapon of choice was the bow and knives.

He's a coward/bully.

Now fucking way he could go toe-to-toe with Jon Snow in CQC or swords

Why not? We've seen him take out guards like nothing. He's a good tactician in battle and he's rested. Jon was exhausted.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Don't know how this is going to end, but one to really bring everyone to Jon's side is if they have Dany kill Sam somehow.

Why not? We've seen him take out guards like nothing. He's a good tactician in battle and he's rested. Jon was exhausted.

Nah. Jon vs Ramsey in a real fight would not even be close. We have seen Jon demonstrate he is a rare talent when it comes to sword combat. Ramsey at best has shown he is a scrapper.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think some of you don't understand how D and D write, and that's understandable. I have always felt that their "badness" has a method.

Step 1: Introduce characters into the conflict for which there is no easy escape/death is likely.
Step 2: Have the characters talk about the conflict.
  • They feel confident/optimistic in their plans.
    • The plans fails or they are diverted from the plan by a last-minute change of circumstances.
  • They feel pessimistic/defeated in their plans.
    • The plan succeeds or they are saved by a last minute change of circumstances.
Step 3: Have the character TALK about the most logical solution to the problem, or introduce what the audience is thinking. This causes the viewer to think they may have reasonable things happen in the scenario. If you don't know what I mean, allow me a few examples:
  • Stannis tells Shireen how important she is.
  • Jon makes a plan to have the Boltons rush in, while Sansa urges caution.
  • Sansa says she would rather die than live with the family who murdered her brother.
  • Multiple characters talk about taking the High Sparrow and his followers into custody.
  • Multiple character propose taking King's Landing to Daenerys.
  • The Blackfish is given the option to return safely to his late sister's castle.
  • Roose Bolton tells Littlefinger that he would be a traitor if he married Ramsay to Sansa.
  • Characters note what a bad plan the wight hunt is.
  • Characters talk about food shortages and the difficulties of marching armies over great distances without supplies, but nothing ever comes of this difficulty except in the case of Stannis. In that case, Stannis is closer to his destination than anyone has ever been to anything in the entire show.
  • Littlefinger tells Sansa what a brilliant military commander Stannis is, and that he will certainly win the battle (see step 2).
Step 4: Stirring sequence in which a lot of killing occurs in a short time, scored by Ramin Djawadi. Always incredible to look at, ignores the most logical outcome proposed in step 3.

I think a simpler summary is: have a character ask a question to another and end the scene instead of having them answer it.

Zombie

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Heads up if you're subscribed to any of the GoT subreddits, there are leaked screencaps from ep 2 out there now that give away plot points that aren't marked as spoilers yet.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
So there's no way this next episode isn't

Jaime arrives

Jon snow punches him

Lock him up

Everyone wants to kill him

Maybe someone even tries, lady mormont?

Tyrion and Jaime moment, their situation from season 4 is reversed, they acknowledge it

Brad tells everyone he's cool with Jaime because it Jaime didn't push him he would never be where he is now it all had to happen how it did blah blah blah

White walkers show up

Episode ends with that shot from the trailer of the zombie horse leg

I need some crazy shit to happen because I feel like I've already seen the ep

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea wtf can happen in E2 that is a spoiler, feels like we're on autopilot this week. Unless Jaime or Sam is getting toaste by Dany.
Unless there's some stupid stuff with Euron/Cersei/GC in KL. I could see a twist or two there, maybe they can make euron worth something ?

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Preview of tonight's episode:

Dany: "You killed my Daddy, motherfucker."
Northerners: "Everyone wanted to kill your Daddy, bitch."
Dany: "Oh, you're gonna take his side? The man who fucked his own sister? I'm the QUEEN."
Bran: "You fucked your nephew, and no you're not."

*Daenerys takes off across Westeros on a dragon*

*Night King knocks on door*

Night King: "Hi guys, sorry to bother you. It's time for the battle."

*credits*

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Tonight's episode is totally going to end with the white walkers showing up at Winterfell. It'll probably end on that shot of the horses legs from the trailer, but who would even be on that horse lol? Not the Night King, he's got a dragon.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Huh? How can you say any GoT episode is EVER on autopilot? Let alone the final season where we are pressed for time?

Do you watch this show?

I think he means they're saving all the deaths for next week, but I think this episode will probably be the one that leaves everyone in disarray, totally unprepared for the assault.

This is the Captain America Civil War episode.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

Dany: "Oh, you're gonna take his side? The man who fucked his own sister? I'm the QUEEN."

*Daenerys takes off across Westeros on a dragon*

*Night King knocks on door*

Night King: "Hi guys, sorry to bother you. It's time for the battle."

*credits*

I can't even tell if you guys are being serious at this point lol

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

that reminds me, how many northeners are even left? you'd think the north is now vale and wildling majority.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Be aware: episode 2 has leaked according to someone on freefolk through german amazon prime.

Also, next weeks episode (3) is Sapoochnik battle episode. The dude who directed Hardhome and BotB. Gonna be lit and a lot of deaths I assume.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Double bummed about how it is all gonna end with GOT. The fact that it is ending and ending in such a state. The rewatch really reminded me how amazing the first 4 seasons were but by season 5 it was clear they were just banking on the spectacle more than anything else. Also the point where characters were using their "super powers" more and more to resolve conflicts.

I was watching a Dinklage interview about what attracted him to the role and he said: "This is a fantasy show that is light on dragons but high on drama" compared to other fantasy shows. Funny how that all turned out, now I only watch for the dragons and pray to god I don't have to sit through another contrived plot like the Arya/Sansa one ever again.

Sansa absolutely knew the army was coming. She even apologized to Jon later for not telling him. And of course Jon just brushed it off like it was no big deal that thousands of men died fighting for him for no reason. That is some trash writing.
During the rewatch, at the part where Robb juked Tywin's army, I fully expected them to just brush off the fact that 2000 men just died so that they could capture Jamie because I had been so conditioned to the show the past seasons but they actually had a little scene where Robb questioned his decision but Cat assured him he did the right thing. Just a 2 sentence dialogue that added so much to the characters.

Fast forward to now and idk why you'd want to fight for this bunch of fuckers that only look pretty and walk around in branded winter coats that they lord over the peasant folk. "Ohhh look at me Im the King in the North( *shouting in the background*: "The King in the North!") and Im riding dragons with my pretty bleached bimbo girlfriend."

Fuck off you bastard, I hope the NK finishes the job that Ollie started. Somebody get the lord of light to resurrect that no scopeing prick ffs, we need to put him on the iron throne.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't believe the NK and co. arrives in this ep. Lannisters or the GC with Bronn, or Theon and the Iron Borns? Possible.

I think the NK will arrive at the worst of times in ep3.

Status
Not open for further replies.