• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rottenpie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Just saw that Sophie Turner's instagram story about Arya and Gendry

Lmaooo, this girl is crazy 😂

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

Very cool.

The original Brienne/Pod (or Hound/Arya):

9757756b86d542d3dbf108e4f6ced182.jpg

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Damn, that was a good episode. I love focus on the characters.. and you really get the sense that shit is going down and we just saw a bunch of people for the last time.

So many great interactions. It takes restraint to do an entire episode like this when you've only got six to work with, but it was 100% necessary before shit starts getting crazy.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Anyway, I really liked Episode 2. There's a lot I'm down on with Game of Thrones, many plot threads and characterisations through the seasons I haven't agreed with. But as a whole I still enjoy the show immensely, and Episode 2 was an obvious calm-before-the-storm send off that for me resonated strongly on an emotional level.

It'll make next week's bloodbath all the more satisfying. I hope it's a massacre, and I hope the Night King rolls them.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
She's 18 and she wanted to. It's a natural human instinct to get horny, and Arya is not Brienne, I'm not sure what that comparison is even supposed to mean. Arya grew up and decided she wanted to get some dick.
It's absolutely an awkward out of left field scene knowing everything we know about the character. Both the fanservice scenes in this season have felt completely out of place.

Sep 28, 2018
I strongly feel that they are dialing up the "Dany wants the throne" to 11 in her scenes with Sansa and Jon this episode so they can maximize the shock for when she decides to discard it in exchange for love and the chance at a family. It just reminds me too much of the Arya/Sansa tension last season that turned out to be lot of nothing.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Getting in a sexual encounter (especially your first that could be your last) before certain death doesn't make for something out of place to me. Especially given the context of the history the characters have had to get comfortable around eachother.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
You still haven't said how you supposedly know she doesn't want to have sex.
A subject that the character has literally never shown interest in aside from literally a 1 second glance over the course of 8 seasons in a universe which goes out of it's way to constantly show characters wanting sex even to the point of people coining the term "sexposition." Gee I wonder why no one would think Arya of all people, who again, has spent literally eight seasons training and all of this season asking for a weapon first and foremost and talking about protecting her family second would be interested in sex. Like it would make for a good passage in that one thread we had where people wrote scenes from the tv show in book style format. It's not the most controversial scene of the episode for shits and giggles. It genuinely made a lot of the audience feel weird. Not because we think we own Maisie Williams or some shit but because of the context not having any buildup outside of two glances.
-That one scene with shirtless Gendry way back when
-The scene where he's forging weapons looking like a greek god in this episode

Last edited:

beau_beaumont

Nov 12, 2017
Just finished a rewatch of Beyond the Wall. It's even worse than I remembered, and I hated it when it aired. It was terrible from start to finish. Easily the worst episode of the series. Every time I get optimistic about this season I think of this episode and how bad it was. Hopefully it was a fluke.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
A subject that the character has literally never shown interest in aside from literally a 1 second glance over the course of 8 seasons in a universe which goes out of it's way to constantly show characters wanting sex even to the point of people coining the term "sexposition." Gee I wonder why no one would think Arya of all people, who again, has spent literally eight seasons training and all of this season asking for a weapon first and foremost and talking about protecting her family second would be interested in sex. Like it would make for a good passage in that one thread we had where people wrote scenes from the tv show in book style format. It's not the most controversial scene of the episode for shits and giggles.

She's never said or done anything to demonstrate she isn't interested in sex, and frankly I don't understand why the show should need to spell it out for you that she's been thinking about it. It should be implied, her checking Gendry out years ago was enough. If anything this does more work to flesh her out than the last few seasons did because now we know she wasn't single mindedly just focused on killing, having this kind of a human desire makes her more relatable. Like, did you want scenes of her flirting with random guys beforehand? She was busy with shit up until now, I just don't see the complaint that it wasn't "built up" enough being valid whatsoever.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it that hard to believe that an 18 year old girl would be horny for her long time crush? The night before almost certain death?

The sex-negative infantilization of this character (and honestly the actress as well) is insane.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Come on Morrigan. You know there was a very big difference between the way those two scenes were shot.

True. We got at least a bit of male fanservice with the camera showing us Gendry's abs. :P

There was nothing particularly male gazey about that scene. If anything the camera focused as much on Gendry as on her. And it's not like male gazey sex scenes are rare in this show, LOL. If anything it's almost shocking in how tasteful and neutral it was, unlike the juvenile trash we've repeatedly seen so far.

Is the only way to grow up in GoT is to have sex? Is Brienne not grown up as a result if sex is the metric?
This is not an honest take. The "they've grown up" part is a rebuttal to this "but we've seen her as a child!" rhetoric, not as an argument that "having sex is the only way to grow up". Come on.

I wouldn't describe her nude scene as shot with male gaze pandering at all, and I say this in response to a show that is certainly guilty of doing so with its sex scenes. Simply being nude in front of a camera is not the male gaze, and none of the cinematography fixates on her physical features in a way that is sexualised. Her having tits and the side of them being present is a physiological reality, and the shots explicitly avoid front on camera work. The only fixated shot is one that highlights her scars.

Like I get, the debate of scene necessity and the purpose of nudity and obviously yeah if guys are oogling and finding her figure attractive then that could be argued as male gaze. But I guess that's the subjectivity of an argument like that; in sexualised context how do you present a naked woman, one who is fit and attractive, as unattractive to a straight male audience? The framework for a scene like that is inherently two attractive people, both being sexualised as a conduit to narrative (purposeful or not).
Good post.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Is it that hard to believe that an 18 year old girl would be horny for her long time crush?

The sex-negative infantilization of this character is insane.

It's just that it was ambiguous that she even crushed on him to begin with and then they went 0-60 in the space of an episode.

I'm more concerned that it was rushed.

Plot-wise, I'm wondering if Gendry is leaving a bun in the oven so he can die now and we have a new Stark heir.

Deleted member 9237

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And what do we think Bran and Tyrion talked about? Was pissed when it just cut away and didn't give us any of that. Like usual the show now just doesn't have the writing chops to give us a really good and witty Tyrion dialogue. It's just framed as "I've changed so much since I left Kings Landing back in the day" - while in the books, I don't remember him being such a bore after he left KL.
In the books he's an miserable, almost insufferable drunkard, who hangs around with Penny. Remember her?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
She's never said or done anything to demonstrate she isn't interested in sex, and frankly I don't understand why the show should need to spell it out for you that she's been thinking about it. It should be implied, her checking Gendry out years ago was enough. If anything this does more work to flesh her out than the last few seasons did because now we know she wasn't single mindedly just focused on killing, having this kind of a human desire makes her more relatable. Like, did you want scenes of her flirting with random guys beforehand? She was busy with shit up until now, I just don't see the complaint that it wasn't "built up" enough being valid whatsoever.
See below.

Is it that hard to believe that an 18 year old girl would be horny for her long time crush?
Considering everything Arya's been through and let's be honest, how fucked she likely is when it comes to her mental state due to being forced to survive and kill as a child for many many years and eventually taking comfort in that one goal as a coping mechanism to the point that it became the crux of her entire identity? Yea.

It's just that it was ambiguous that she even crushed on him to begin with and then they went 0-60 in the space of an episode.
This too. Like there wasn't even a tinge of romance in the first episode. So they decided to put in a shot of Gendry looking hot AF in this one.

True. We got at least a bit of male fanservice with the camera showing us Gendry's abs. :P

There was nothing particularly male gazey about that scene. If anything the camera focused as much on Gendry as on her. And it's not like male gazey sex scenes are rare in this show, LOL. If anything it's almost shocking in how tasteful and neutral it was, unlike the juvenile trash we've repeatedly seen so far.
As someone else said Maisie had a lot of control over the scene so yea it wasn't as bad as say, that really cringy Bron scene in episode 1. And we did get some fanservice in the form of Gendry's sweaty greek statue bod when Arya was looking at him forge things.

Garou

Oct 25, 2017

I'm more concerned that it was rushed.

Plot-wise, I'm wondering if Gendry is leaving a bun in the oven so he can die now and we have a new Stark heir.

They aren't married, so it would be a Snow/Waters and not a Stark.

Deleted member 28131

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Some of the hot takes in this thread have me wondering why I even visit this forum.

We've got prudes upset about Arya's scene, people who clearly pay no attention to the show whatsoever and then to top it all off are the idiots calling this "the worst show on tv". Jesus christ.

If I rolled my eyes any harder they'd be stuck in the back of my skull.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Watched the episode again, just as enjoyable. Then proceeded to re-watch Hardhome, Battle of the Bastards and The Winds of Winter. Phew.

Anyone know which episodes of Season 8 Sapochnik will be directing?

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Some of the hot takes in this thread have me wondering why I even visit this forum.

We've got prudes upset about Arya's scene, people who clearly pay no attention to the show whatsoever and then to top it all off are the idiots calling this "the worst show on tv". Jesus christ.

If I rolled my eyes any harder they'd be stuck in the back of my skull.

You have to wonder if people are even watching the same show as you sometimes. If you can't understand why Arya does what she does in this episode, I don't know what to tell you.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Is it that hard to believe that an 18 year old girl would be horny for her long time crush? The night before almost certain death?

The sex-negative infantilization of this character (and honestly the actress as well) is insane.
It didn't even feel like horniness as much as it felt like "listen, I've done a lot of crazy shit (like murdering literally dozens of people), but I've never had sex, and I don't want to die without figuring out why everyone is so crazy about it." Which is a perfectly reasonable thing for anyone to think. And I'm completely on board with you about the infantilization of both the character and the actress; all of this "I saw her as a kid so I'm uncomfortable with her becoming a woman" completely robs her of her agency, and honestly fuck anyone who thinks that way. That scene doesn't exist to serve your erection you selfish assholes. And incidentally, that is just about the least male-gazey Game of Thrones has ever been with a sex scene, so I don't buy that argument in the slightest.

Deleted member 9237

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Considering everything Arya's been through and let's be honest, how fucked she likely is when it comes to her mental state due to being forced to survive and kill as a child for many many years and eventually taking comfort in that one goal as a coping mechanism to the point that it became the crux of her entire identity? Yea.
People with trauma have sex too. Also, she already had a bond with Gendry, I think it makes sense for her to open up to him in particular

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
They aren't married, so it would be a Snow/Waters and not a Stark.

Legitimization just like with Bael the Bard's bastard son which is what continued the House Stark line in the past.

The Stark line was on the verge of extinction, when one day the girl was back in her room, holding in her arms an infant: they had actually never left Winterfell, staying hidden in the crypts. Bael's bastard with Brandon's daughter became the new Lord Stark.

House Stark continues through Arya and Gendry's bastard son.

It's also notable that the founder of House Baratheon took the sigil, motto, castle and house words of his wife, Argella Durrandon.

txhv36tew1t21.jpg

Join houses and become one house.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
GRRM deserves the majority. The show can exist without them, it literally can't without him.

GRRM isn't running a TV show.
They execute produce, produce, write and showrun. Each is a very difficult task. To do them all at that frequency and scale... it's a massive contribution.

George provided a great starting point,but he isn't the reason this is the biggest show on television

Status
Not open for further replies.