• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 25712

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I love the show, but every time they show Bran my eyes roll. His arc wasn't great in the books, it's worse in the show.

Hopefully he gets something significant at the end.

He's a boring Professor X.

Seeing all of time and relaying what he knows to people is insignificant?

Laaawl, folks the show has its issues especially compared to the books but some of the criticism in here is ridiculous.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Winterfell truly has the worst guards in history.

The leader of the Lannister armies just entered your castle unchallenged because he wore a black cloak.

That reminded me of work.

"I forgot my ID card at home."
"No problem, just write some name here on the list and take this All Access dummy card."

I thought it was a pretty good setup and reunion episode apart from the dragon riding. It would've been perfect as episode 1 of 10. But now we only have 5 left to finish the whole show? I don't know man...

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Plus, it wouldn't even be that out of character for her. Look at the crazy shit she did even in season one like letting her brother be covered in liquid gold.
This is getting ridiculous.

So dany is crazy ...for letting the idiot that was fine with letting his kid sister getting raped by Savages for a a Dohtraki army ....recieve what he has been asking for and deserved ?

It's crazy to see what some of you will use as ammunition against Dany just so you can label her a crazy cold-hearted bitch lol. Says a lot.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Not at all considering we have seen it before. Heck the opening scene of the series contains a massage from the white walkers.

Season 3

Screen_Shot_2019_04_14_at_7.47.59_PM.png

Opening scene
Screen_Shot_2019_04_14_at_7.37.03_PM.png

I must've forgotten about that...those are really stupid too. Maybe it's in the WW DNA.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Also, an important point about Bran: Arya told Jon to remember his family.

Bran has said more than once he isn't Bran Stark anymore. I think that will build up to them understanding he really means it. He'll do something and they'll be like WTF... "I told you, I'm not Brandon Stark anymore."

Also Bran still has that mark from the NK...

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why they bothered to remake the intro. It doesn't look any better or worse, just different. Why now, for the last season?

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So dany is crazy ...for letting the idiot that was fine with letting his kid sister getting raped by Savages for a a Dohtraki army ....recieve what he has been asking for and deserved ?

It's crazy to see what some of you will use as ammunition against Dany just so you can label her a crazy cold-hearted bitch lol. Says a lot.
The climax of the episode was Jon learning with horror that he'll likely need to take the throne from Dany because she's a selfish ruler

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018

Noboody is arguing it will be good writing, but it will happen

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018
Say what?

Ramsey was a monster who murdered his father, his pregnant mother-in-law. Who raped Sansa, sadistically maimed Theon Greyjoy and terrorized anyone he came in contact with, really.

Meanwhile, Dickon's biggest "sin" was being stupidly loyal to his queen.

One of these two would have been irredeemable with absolute certainty. The other - with some time to think things through - might have been a valuable asset and a gesture that Daenerys can be just instead of needlessly cruel.
and the tarlys betrayed their lords and killed men they "knew" dickon said it themselves. oh and i dont recall seing highgarden prisoners. and they killed dothraki and tried to kill drogon. but yeah....they deserved so much mercy.

im about to check out of here. these takes putting me to sleep

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
That was a shockingly bad episode. So many awkwardly staged scenes, so much terrible dialogue and that flying scene...jesus. What were they thinking? The whole thing felt very very off and now I'm worried about this season. I really wasn't expecting that.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nboody is arguing it will be good writing, but it will happen
Yeah. It's gonna be awkward because D&D have made her much more likable because fans like her but they can't change the ending. We're probably in for a lot more scenes like the one in the crypt where characters just tell us things about her that we're supposed to accept as true because of how it's framed.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not sure why they bothered to remake the intro. It doesn't look any better or worse, just different. Why now, for the last season?

I think it will be explained at the end. It looks like a big mechanical history-telling machine, probably built years after the story is over, at Old Town. Each episode will add a bit more. I think it's pretty cool.

Because there are less places for the camera to zoom now? Basically just Kingslanding and the North.

And that.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
and the tarlys betrayed their lords and killed men they "knew" dickon said it themselves. oh and i dont recall seing highgarden prisoners. and they killed dothraki and tried to kill drogon. but yeah....they deserved so much mercy.

There's a difference between fighting an enemy on the battlefield and killing people for sports / fun.

Humane treatment of even your enemies / The Geneva convention = "takes", gotcha.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
The climax of the episode was Jon learning with horror that he'll likely need to take the throne from Dany because she's a selfish ruler

I was only replaying to the last part of that post.

Upcoming Jon x Dany tension is obvious and likely to happen.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was an ok Episode, but I may be a little forgiving due to it being so long since I've seen GoT, so it was nice to see familiar faces and locations.

But my god, the CG is perhaps some of the worst I've seen since S1, I thought they reduced episode count to increase budgets. I guess that means what's to come is going to be spectacular, at least I hope, because I felt the first episode was undermined by some of the big sweeping shots.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm also dissapointed that there are no elephants tbh.
I was reminding someone of what happened in season 7 and I brought up how the Golden COmpany has Elephants but that I wasn't sure if they'd actually show up cus that'd be Hell production wise. Cersei bringing them up twice and being bummed killed me. Lol

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
One thing I hope is rectified next ep: Bran and Varys HAVE to meet at some point. Bran is Varys' kryptonite. You can't have the master of whisper not having to face Bran.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Applying the Geneva Convention in fuckin Westeros... This thread has really gone off-rails.

Applying "humane treatment of even your enemies" / "being merciful" - regardless of real world comparisons, then.

you know what. you got it. i wish the bolt never landed ans she just roasted the whole lot of them.

uhm, yeah, exactly - that's what makes the difference - once an enemy has surrendered, you don't just kill them in cold blood.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the anti-Dany people are in for a really rude awakening at the end of the series. Like a TLJ-level "My headcanon-slash-complete misinterpretation of the text didn't happen" meltdown.

Deleted member 25712

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Applying "humane treatment of even your enemies" / "being merciful" - regardless of real world comparisons, then.

uhm, yeah, exactly - that's what makes the difference - once an enemy has surrendered, you don't just kill them in cold blood.

They didn't surrender. That's the point. You swear fealty or you die, that's the order of things in this world.

There is a point to be made about Dany supposedly wanting to make the world a better place. But she's not going to get there by letting enemies off easy

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Why couldn't Dany just apologise, even if she didn't mean it?
My boy Sam just fell apart, man that was hard to watch.

If she starts apologizing for anything that others (and even she herself) consider a mistake after the fact, she'll be doing that for quite a while.
She made a judgement call that even her Hand critizised her for. But it's done and she can't show that kind of weakness at this crucial point in time.

I think the anti-Dany people are in for a really rude awakening at the end of the series. Like a TLJ-level "My headcanon-slash-complete misinterpretation of the text didn't happen" meltdown.

Who's really "anti Dany", though? - her execution of the Tarly's was cruel - and probably strategically unwise - that's not anti Dany. If anything that's "we're not mad, we're disappointed" level. Dany herself certainly has doubts already, whether or not that was a smart move or whether that was her giving in to the frustration of suffering her first major loss shortly before.

They didn't surrender. That's the point. You swear fealty or you die, that's the order of things in this world.

Something something break the wheel ... do things differently? :/

Kahoots

Feb 15, 2018
To defeat the night king Jon will have to light his sword by penetrating Dany, her inner fire power something something Azor Ahai. Hope im wrong.
Yeah but it won't go down like that in the books. The flaming sword is symbolic of justice, it won't be a sacrifice but a just execution. He won't know that the sword will take flame, and he won't execute her because the sword will take flame, but because it'll be what she deserves, that the sword will take flame will be incidental.

How the show handles it will be somewhat interesting.

Nov 10, 2017
Yet another episode where nothing happens.

The series is a straight up soap opera at this point:

- static backdrop
- 2-3 characters
- witty banter
- "chemistry"
- cheap romance and rivalry

Every scene last night was just that. Gendry ships Arya. Skeevy ship guy ships Cersei. Danaerys and Jon have a kiss. Danaerys and Sansa hate each other.

It's a stark contrast from the first season. There was a plot that moved and everything was in service to that, the establishment and development of characters was strongly tied to the plot and so too the worldbuilding. This episode, like many before it, wasn't that. It was "hey, remember Gendry. He's a blacksmith! Hey, did you know Jon loves Danaerys, for really real! Hey, Sansa doesn't like Danaerys!"

It's blunt, clumsy, plodding, and boring.

If this season goes like the last several, eventually all this will be punctuated by a blatantly forewarned set piece battle with more plotholes and meaningless noise than you can imagine. And we're supposed to care because of all the "witty banter" and "chemistry". Worse, it will be setup by someone straight up stating "hey, we're going to have a big battle now. Get ready!"

This episode felt very much like the last several seasons, and that isn't a good thing. Yeah, I'm still interested in seeing the white walker story unfold. Yeah, I'll be entertained by the big dumb brainless battle. Yeah, I want to see who sits the iron throne at the end (if there even is one). But the show stopped being remarkable a long time ago.
Boy I couldn't disagree more! The episode wasn't a bad action movie like much of season 7. Instead it really built on the web of relationships and reunions. John is hearing from all sides pressure against Danny being queen, lots of interesting and funny encounters, new developments for Cercei, Theon, and more. It was awesome. Reminded me of season 1.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That's actually not true. There were several non Targs who rode dragons right before dragons went extinct. Book world obviously but still

That's going to be important I think. Just like how Targs are not immune to fire. Dany thinks that because she is the mother of dragons and "the unburnt" she is a Targ, because people told her she is and must rule. Yet neither of those actually relate to the bloodline. She is more witch than true heir.

Oct 25, 2017
If she starts apologizing for anything that others (and even she herself) consider a mistake after the fact, she'll be doing that for quite a while.
She made a judgement call that even her Hand critizised her for. But it's done and she can't show that kind of weakness at this crucial point in time.

Who's really "anti Dany" - her execution of the Tarly's was cruel - and probably strategically unwise - that's not anti Dany. If anything that's "we're not mad, we're disappointed" level. Dany herself certainly has doubts already, whether or not that was a smart move or whether that was her giving in to the frustration of suffering her first major loss shortly before.

Something something break the wheel ... do things differently? :/
Its not Queen-like.

I thought her stone cold response was fitting for her position and the conditions in which they were delivered.
You right. It's just bad timing I suppose.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
That's actually not true. There were several non Targs who rode dragons right before dragons went extinct. Book world obviously but still

I wonder if only Targs "could" ride Dragons not because non-Targs lacked the ability, but rather because Targs made sure to keep a monopoly on being the Dragon riders?

You right. It's just bad timing I suppose.

You show weakness you lose part of your army seems to be the current rule. Look at what's happening to Jon - his leadership is questioned because he (to some) showed weakness by bending the knee to another ruler.

Oct 25, 2017
Solid start. Nice reunions and character moments. The jump scare got me good. Main criticisms is some of the dialogue is lethal, incredibly wonky CGI and most scenes didn't really get room to breathe.

The Bronn scene made me cringe. The T&A stuff in the show just makes me roll my eyes now.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017

You don't understand you fall into an anachronism trap, you are arguing modern-day morals in a middle-ages fantasy world where being so compassionate with prisoners who continue to defy the new ruler would be perceived as a sign of weakness. It was obligatory for a King/Queen to kill those who openly confess to oppose them, the Tarlies knew what would happen and made their choice.

Nobody disagrees about how prisoners should be handled in the real-world now of course.

Damerman

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Solid first episode, the calm before the storm but still had some cool moments.

Jon riding Rhaegal.
Jon finding out who he really is.
Arya's reunion with Jon, Gendry and The Hound.
Sansa and Tyrion reunion.
Sam finding out his farther and brother are dead.
Tension between Sansa and Daenerys.
Jamie arriving and seeing Bran.
Bronn being asking to kill Jamie and Tyrion.
Tormund, Beric and The Night's Watch find Last Hearth destroyed and little Lord Umber dead, pinned to a wall and also his creepy reanimation.

Can't wait for episode 2 now. Bring on the war.
Agreed with this. Im super excited to see where this goes.

BeforeU

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Solid start. Nice reunions and character moments. The jump scare got me good. Main criticisms is some of the dialogue is lethal, incredibly wonky CGI and most scenes didn't really get room to breathe.

The Bronn scene made me cringe. The T&A stuff in the show just makes me roll my eyes now.

whats T&A?

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
It's a very normal thing to do to traitors in the world of GoT. Hostage and ransoms are for lesser offenses, unless you're pretty much done conquering, then you can go hading out pardons for good PR.

It's really double standards, but Daenerys shot herself in the foot by burning people to death, which was her dad's trademark.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't understand you fall into an anachronism trap, you are arguing modern-day morals in a middle-ages fantasy world where being so compassionate with prisoners who continue to defy the new ruler would be perceived as a sign of weakness. It was obligatory for a King/Queen to kill those who openly confess to oppose them, the Tarlies knew what would happen and made their choice.

Nobody disagrees about how prisoners should be handled in the real-world now of course.
Sam and Jon told us it was bad at the end of the episode

Status
Not open for further replies.