• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
She is killing people who were trying to kill her and her dragons just second before.
Bending the knee would still make them prisoners - they refusing means that they are still opposing her...of course they are gonna get killed. We have been in a non-stop war for most of this show and people wanna paint Dany as some kind of crazy savage after events like the Red Wedding. Ramsey and co. ?

Sams relationship with his brother means its okay for him to be sad, pissed and all - but blaming Dany and trying to to mess up the Jon x Dany alliance that will likely save the day for it seems weird. His brother/father dont survive the encounter against 99% of rulers after that battle if they dont bend the knee. They just betrayed their liege lords...do people really think anyone would trust them if they didnt bend the knee ? Doesnt make any sense.

They chose death.

They're literally valuable hostages that Dany can exchange with Cersei for Ellaria Sand and her daughter.

You don't murder your prisoners especially high value ones.

Put them in prison for life if you have to.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
The problem though is you can't on the one hand act like Dany's family name is a hinderance for her in Westeros, and then turn around and go "but it's going to work out for Jon." When a kingdom is in chaos might makes right. Rightful heir means nothing if you can't take the seat of power. Why shouldn't the Dornish claim KL? Or any of the other major houses left? Hell what's stopping a minor house under the Lannister's from rising up and filling the vacuum left from their demise? Unless the Northeners can go south and conquer the entirety of the continent, what ever claims they make for Jon means nothing. The North barely has a 1000 men to put together to form an actual army.
From what I remember Dance of the Dragons pretty much goes over this kind of issue. Where Rhaenyra was supposed to be crowned the successor but Aegon contested it. In the case, it's pretty much as you say, it's basically down to who conquers the other. The whole reason Westeros is in a huge mess at the moment partly due to legitimacy and fighting over it. The War didn't just start with the Mad King but Rhaegar as well so it's not like being a son of one is better than the other given Rhaegar literally is Mad King's son. Even the inspiration of the series War of Roses (recently watched white princess recently which was fantastic) kind of has a similar situation where Henry has the least legitimacy to the throne, his marriage to Elizabeth is what strengths his claims against Edward who would be kind of like a situation of Aegon in GOT.

As for the talks about the execution of Tarly and parallelisms to Aery's, Daenerys didn't in fact burn the Tarly's in a similar way to Aerys which people tend to just completely miss. Aery's was completely mad because he didn't offer fair trial by combat by using wildfire all because of threat his son made against Rhaegar (not an open rebellion or battle) and then proceeded to ask for Roberts and Ned's Head completely unrelated to the situation. Daenerys had been willing to give to options at the advice of Tyrion bending the knee or taking the Black both which Tarly refused. We're talking about a house that has twice broke their oaths, first time bending the knee to Robert and second time when the Tarly's basically wiped out the last of the Tyrells who happen to have been Daenery's own allies. The Tarly's at this point are the most dangerous to Daenerys willing to betray their oaths, allegiances, refusing to bend the knee and basically wiping them out if necessary. That's someone you don't keep around as a prisoner in the same way Jon didn't keep around Ramsay as prisoner. She weighed the options which would lead to least likelihood of resistance because keeping a prisoner refusing to surrender when the cause is clearly lost shows a position of weakness which she can't afford after three massive failures because she listened to Tyrion in the first place.
Sam's relationship with his brother was fine. Also, Dany told them to bend the knee or die. She's kinda murdering prisoners of war.
I mean, in ASOIAF, it's a grey area with so many different justification which were deemed right. How is Janos begging for his life and executed because he disrespected Jon snow's leadership anymore justification than executing Tarly who murdered your allies and given option would rather die. Ramsay was also in a way a prisoner of war as well. Tarly isn't on his level but it takes one morally corrupt character to side with Cersei after blowing up half of King's Landing and all the other actions he's done. It's just weird after seeing all the actions of what the Lannisters and Allies are done, people are nitpicking which execution was more deserved than the other when they're the same enemies just because of a different character. I mean, Arya just murdered more people within the same time frame.

At the very least, there's one clan in the north that should be cheering. The Karstarks lol.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Is anyone else slighty dissapointed with NK's 'message'? When leaks came out the night king will leave a message for the living I was thinking more along lines of an literal message explaining his motivation (even if it just a name scribbeled on a wall) not this display of 'art' as it turned out to be.

His motivation as has been described a bunch is that he wants to kill everyone.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
what if Jon gets flamed by the ice dragon but at the last minute wargs into Rhaegal and lives on by Dany's side as her dragon son/nephew/lover

I'm good. If he lives on with Ghost however...

Is anyone else slighty dissapointed with NK's 'message'? When leaks came out the night king will leave a message for the living I was thinking more along lines of an literal message explaining his motivation (even if it just a name scribbeled on a wall) not this display of 'art' as it turned out to be.

Sounds like it's on you for reading leaks

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
They're literally valuable hostages that Dany can exchange with Cersei for Ellaria Sand and her daughter.

You don't murder your prisoners especially high value ones.

Put them in prison for life if you have to.
...as if Dany or Cercei would care about that at this point.
They had no value to Dany - she still gave them a way out. Which they refused.

It doesnt get any clearer - we had many people from powerful houses die in this show and they rarely got this kind option to survive when they opposed the more powerful person with a claim to the throne. They knew the consequences, still expecting prisoners in Westeros after so many years....from the Dragon Queen is beyond stupid.
Jon: listen I need you to man this deserted castle ok?!

Slynt: Yeah about that, fuck you!

Jon: Olly, fetch me my sword!

*You can't talk back to the boss like that you idiot! Jon can't be disrespected like that. 100% justified*

Dany: ok so it says here that you guys betrayed the house you were sworn to, helped sack their capital, and then you not only looted it, you also helped steal all the food from the civilians you were meant to protect. I can just outright execute y'all, but I'll give you one opportunity to make amends.

Tarlys: fuck you!

Dany: Drogon do your thing!

*OMG how could she that bitch?! Fucking mad queen. I knew she was just like her dad. I knew it the moment she crucified those fine noblemen in Mereen. She's crazy!*
This x 100

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
It doesn't work like that. In the books actually, Jon's hand was burned by fire, and he constantly flexes it out of habit. It's very important, because I think it will point to a huge twist about Dany, but I am hesitant to elaborate on it even if it's pure speculation. There's a reason GRRM made Jon not impervious to fire and has said Targs aren't.
Bro, pm me. I feed on this stuff.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
Sam's relationship with his brother was fine. Also, Dany told them to bend the knee or die. She's kinda murdering prisoners of war.
You are applying 20th century concepts ("prisoners of war") to Middle Ages-inspired Westeros. They fought and ended up on the losing side. Do you remember what happened to the losing side for 7 seasons? The fact that Daenerys even offered them to bend the knee in exchange for their life was overly generous because they and the Lannisters would never do that for her.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
It doesn't work like that. In the books actually, Jon's hand was burned by fire, and he constantly flexes it out of habit. It's very important, because I think it will point to a huge twist about Dany, but I am hesitant to elaborate on it even if it's pure speculation. There's a reason GRRM made Jon not impervious to fire and has said Targs aren't.

I could just be misreading it, but are you speculating that
Dany might have a special purpose? Like being the Lord of Light on earth or something like that?

Grzi

Oct 26, 2017
Liked how the first episode of the first season ended with a Bran/Jaime meeting, and the first episode of the last season did so as well. Nice touch.

Other than that it was okay, didn't expect much to happen anyway.

RC.

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Aside from needlessly long dragon riding scene and Theon's super easy rescue of Asha, it was a solid episode.
The earned reunions outwayed the more fan-fictiony parts.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
You are applying 20th century concepts ("prisoners of war") to Middle Ages-inspired Westeros. They fought and ended up on the losing side. Do you remember what happened to the losing side for 7 seasons? The fact that Daenerys even offered them to bend the knee in exchange for their life was overly generous because they and the Lannisters would never do that for her.

If the Lannisters start having all their prisoners raped then Daenerys should too? You're setting the bar low.

And, yes, I am applying 20th century concepts because I was born at the close of the 20th century. You can view things through a 20th century lens when you read a medieval story and rightfully call it out for being fucked up.

I'm not saying I don't understand that ruthlessness isn't par of the course. I'm just calling a square a square.

But regardless, you don't generally murder nobles who are prisoners of war because they're useful to keep around whether it be ransoms or for exchanges of prisoners.

If you murder your prisoners then the other side might murder their prisoners too in retaliation.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Promoting PIracy
Is there anywhere I can get it in 4k? Can't find on my usual source, I guess 4k comes only when Bluray release hits?

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Some really bad writing in that episode.

Been catching up by watching all the series' before 8 starts on Blu-ray, and seeing it on sky has been a letdown in quality, which although expected, is just nasty to the eye.

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's holding up the white walkers? It used to be the wall. Now we are many days in after the wall broke and the dead should be marching south without rest.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of the continued bitter and jealous Sansa. Yes, she probably should have been handed Queen of the North over Jon, but she was the one who threw it at him in the first place so she could have Winterfell from what I recall. All this talk from Arya how Sansa's the smartest individual and all, and yet she's trying to flex her intrigue muscles among the North's court because Jon has a beautiful queen at his side, dragons, and possibly everything else she dreamed to have when she was stuck in her fairy tales and pining for Joffrey. It of course is a smart play taken from Cercei's and Littlefinger's books, but only if you ignore the whole reason they are attempting to amass the North. The only smart aspect on display from her was in cutting down Tyrion, who like-wise has lost his wits between publicly announcing the Lannister 'alliance' himself to the Northern court and in trusting Cercei.

Everything else was fairly solid. Good reunions all around, including the silent one at the end between Bran and Jaime. The Theon's breakout of Yara was rather simple, but that could be handwaved as both Euron's and Cercei's arrogance of not expecting a small force to strike the ships for a single prisoner. There's been far worse done in the show with not even a logical explanation to be inferred of them. Same with Cercei and Bronn. A bit odd knowing Bronn and the two are rather close beyond a working relationship, but Cercei is banking on the mercenary-side that Bronn makes no secret of. Just from her p.o.v., it's a pretty solid play.

Edd being alive is great, and it will be a welcome for him, Beric, and Tormund to be a part of everything still. Wasn't keen on the message left, as it isn't something that anyone was already unaware of (except maybe Arya, Sansa, Lyanna, and the one dude who was standing by Lyanna). It was a tense, creepy scene though, so props there.

The time before the battle hits will be interesting. Much of the North dislikes Daenerys and turning against Jon. Jaime Lannister is arriving to not only face Daenerys for killing her father, King Aerys V, but also for his actions against House Stark. His reveal of the planned Lannister betrayal will also put Tyrion in a bad position, and further fragment that of Jon's. Then there's Jon who now knows his lineage and will have to tell Daenerys, who will not take well to suddenly having the claim rug pulled out from underneath her (Despite the fact they're into each other, could marry, and still hold the throne together). So with Sansa trying to play her game against Jon, and Daenerys likely cooling on their relationship, things are going to be rough among them as the dead armies fall upon them.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah I know. The times and distances in the show just confuse me.

well you could argue they didn't attempt going to the wall until then because they needed the extra army at Hardhome, and they were waiting for the dragon to make a passage (the NK probably has foresight similar to Bran).

They are going from the wall to Winterfell in 2 episodes which is pretty fast all things considered.

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
shame it took a whole episode to inform jon of his lineage

coulda saved us that corny dragon ride and another cringe incest scene.

other than that, it was alright.

Oct 25, 2017
"Then keep your queen warm"
tenor.gif

BeforeU

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Corny lines i found

• She is the smartest person i have met
  • I am going to put a prince in your belly
  • Then keep your queen warm
  • Did you bend the knee because you love her?

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah she comes off very badly, a proxy of her father in his absence to be honest. I could see Bronn using the crossbow on Dany at this point when she tries to go all Aerys II next week trying to kill Jaime and Tyrion.

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Corny lines i found

• She is the smartest person i have met
  • I am going to put a prince in your belly
  • Then keep your queen warm
  • Did you bend the knee because you love her?

yikes
really just waiting for the big fights and the ending at this point. dialogue/character interactions used to be such a massive draw for me.

like who here really buys the jon/dany relationship. feels like they've barely developed it and all of a sudden... love!

Status
Not open for further replies.