• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have a strong grasp on how the other characters even feel about Bran at the moment? Do they actually believe he has magical powers or do they think he's just weird and crazy after being beyond the wall for so long?

Its like every time he tells someone something prophetic or intimately insightful, they stare at him for 2 seconds and then go on about their business, and I can't tell what we as the viewer are supposed to take from it. Is he trying to give them info but they are ignoring him because they think he's crazy? Or is he just so cryptic and distant that they don't know what to think?

It feels like at this point, they should be consulting with Bran and asking him what to do about x, y, z. But he's mostly just being left to himself while everyone else goes about fussing with each other, which leads me to believe everyone just thinks he is crazy and don't take him seriously. But Jon believes in wargs because he was attacked by one. And to that point, Bran could easily prove his abilities by warging, if proof is what any of these people wanted.

Idk. It's frustrating because magic is an element of the show now but without knowing what people actually believe about it, it still doesn't feel properly meshed into plotting. Is everyone still a skeptic or have people bought into magic again?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The other points are true but I don't think anyone knows Bran was pushed by Jaimie. Only Bran and Cersei.

If there would be any retaliation, it would be for slaughtering Ned's men during that duel, or for his family sending their regards at the Red Wedding.

I had forgotten about the Red Wedding lol. He may not be responsible for it, but he's still a Lannister. The family is responsible for the deaths of one Lord Stark, two Lady Starks (I guess one of those was technically a Queen) and a King in the North.

It will be fun to see how D&D manages make this fan favorite squirm his way out of certain death.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Idk but it sure seems like in this episode they are building towards a major confrontation between Jon an Danny

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, that'd make no sense. The easiest conclusion is the one we've witnessed since S5, Tyrion is a complete dumbass now. Remember how he fucked up every instance of ruling and advice in Essos until Dany showed up and said just burn them all?

D&D don't understand or don't care for the political writing. Think how dumb it is for Davos to suggest to Tyrion for Jon and Dany to marry. A thing that should have been suggested the second they met. Hell, the stated reason she gives for leaving Daario is that she recognizes she needs to be able to marry to form alliances in Westeros. But, it seems everyone forgot that.

The political writing is brain dead at this point. Shit, we got Arya telling people that Sansa is the smartest character, Sansa. The fool who almost tried to kill Arya last season due to obvious manipulation from Baelish. A once smart character who was also reduced to a dunce.
I mean, not much room for politics when zombies are like.....literally a day away. NOW IF ONLY EVERYONE IN THE GOT UNIVERSE WOULD STOP WORRYING ABOUT THE POLITICS AND GET THEIR SHIT TOGETHER.

They literally know that the night king has an ice dragon!!! GUYS, STAHP! :|

Mar 25, 2019
Does anyone have a strong grasp on how the other characters even feel about Bran at the moment? Do they actually believe he has magical powers or do they think he's just weird and crazy after being beyond the wall for so long?

Its like every time he tells someone something prophetic or intimately insightful, they stare at him for 2 seconds and then go on about their business, and I can't tell what we as the viewer are supposed to take from it. Is he trying to give them info but they are ignoring him because they think he's crazy? Or is he just so cryptic and distant that they don't know what to think?

It feels like at this point, they should be consulting with Bran and asking him what to do about x, y, z. But he's mostly just being left to himself while everyone else goes about fussing with each other, which leads me to believe everyone just thinks he is crazy and don't take him seriously. But Jon believes in wargs because he was attacked by one. And to that point, Bran could easily prove his abilities by warging, if proof is what any of these people wanted.

Idk. It's frustrating because magic is an element of the show now but without knowing what people actually believe about it, it still doesn't feel properly meshed into plotting. Is everyone still a skeptic or have people bought into magic again?
Are you starting to see why these books take so long to finish? :)

Mar 25, 2019
I mean, not much room for politics when zombies are like.....literally a day away. NOW IF ONLY EVERYONE IN THE GOT UNIVERSE WOULD STOP WORRYING ABOUT THE POLITICS AND GET THEIR SHIT TOGETHER.

I don't think anyone outside of the folks who actually fought the wights and White Walkers actually grasp what they're about to be facing. I can imagine the situation not seeming quite real to them yet. Bickering about politics is probably almost comforting as it adds a sense of normalcy to what's going on

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
For the way Tyrion's character has evolved. In the books it seems he makes a major fuckup when he "fools" Young Griff into invading Westeros, which is building up to be a colossal fuck up on Tyrion for thinking he is so smart. It seems Dany will have trouble landing in Westeros because YG did before her, so Tyrion will convince her to land west to take Lannisport/Casterly Rock. We saw that later bit happen in the show, and it backfired. You can imagine her blasting Tyrion, asking if he made her take Casterly Rock for his own interest. Things are sort of lining up for Tyrion to pick the "wrong" king/queen and be stuck handling a situation that goes ever more out of his control, to the point where all he will truly have left will be his sister. It's far from having reached that point because of how far back the books are, but I can imagine that was what D&D were told about where his character was going, but Tyrion is such a "book" character, you can't reduce his importance in the show like they have without risking ruining his character.

Still, there's time. We'll see what happens with him.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

Just staying true to real life and why the books/early seasons were so good. You got people talking about the imminent destruction of everything yet everyone is still focused on their petty squabbles. Much like how Climate Change is a real life issue yet you got dumbass Republicans still bitching about taxes, regulation, and the science not being real. We'll bicker and fight each other even when death is literally knocking on our door.

I do find it funny how adamant these Northern Lords are that Jon keep his Crown when the North had been independent for such a short time and for as long as they can all recall the North has lived under Targaryen rule. Like, y'all bended the knee before, chill.

Mar 25, 2019
For the way Tyrion's character has evolved. In the books it seems he makes a major fuckup when he "fools" Young Griff into invading Westeros, which is building up to be a colossal fuck up on Tyrion for thinking he is so smart. It seems Dany will have trouble landing in Westeros because YG did before her, so Tyrion will convince her to land west to take Lannisport/Casterly Rock. We saw that later bit happen in the show, and it backfired. You can imagine her blasting Tyrion, asking if he made her take Casterly Rock for his own interest. Things are sort of lining up for Tyrion to pick the "wrong" king/queen and be stuck handling a situation that goes ever more out of his control, to the point where all he will truly have left will be his sister. It's from being there, but I can imagine that was what D&D were told about where his character was going, but Tyrion is such a "book" character, you can't reduce his importance in the show like they have without risking ruining his character.

Still, there's time. We'll see what happens with him.
I don't know if Casterly Rock will be quite the low-hanging fruit that it was on the TV show since Euron's Iron Born have been ravaging the West Coast. Also, the deal with the Lannisters' mines being all dried up is a show-only plot point (GRRM confirmed this last year, I believe)

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
"Cersei and Euron looked so beautiful that night"

q0fRltGl.jpg
Fucking. LOL.
100% lock for both in my books
Haha, you guys.
what is gendry's surname? every kingdom has a surname for bastards, right? and i think he was a bastard born in the stormlands or the crownlands or something
Crownlands bastards are typically named Waters. But Gendry has no surname that I know of.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Gotcha. I didn't catch either of those. I don't think any non-book reader friends did either.
Yeah, it was easy to miss. Especially since the northern lords in those meeting scenes in all previous seasons have been pretty unimportant individually except for Lyanna Mormont. I wouldn't blame people for unfocusing their eyes when Jon and Sansa were talking to the Umber kid.

They could have made it more clear, but personally I appreciate them being a bit more subtle with stuff like that. There's already a lot of on-the-nose dialogue

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
There's a lot of people in that room that could save him. You think Jon would be ok with killing him once he finds out why he killed the Mad King?

EDIT: I have a feeling this is what's going to set him against Dany. He'd probably see killing the Mad King as the only right move in that situation, he's the type who would want someone next to him willing to stop him if he ever tried something like that. Dany, on the other hand, is afraid of such things.
That's the way I seen it. He doesn't care what happens honestly

he will have defenders.
-Tyrion
-Brianne
- John ( probably )
I'm pretty sure Bran is going to vouch for him. Seems like the entire point of the setup with him waiting for an old friend.

Yeah but only Jon would have a chance of stopping her. She will definitely not listen to Tyrion (at this point after he's shit the bed), not Bran (she has yet to learn about his All Seeing but I doubt he has enough seay even with facts) and definitely not Brienne. She has no sway over Dany. And how invested is Jon in saving Jaime's life? After he reveals Cersei is betraying them there's not much for him to do except join Dany's Westerosi Avengers

Mar 25, 2019
Just staying true to real life and why the books/early seasons were so good. You got people talking about the imminent destruction of everything yet everyone is still focused on their petty squabbles. Much like how Climate Change is a real life issue yet you got dumbass Republicans still bitching about taxes, regulation, and the science not being real. We'll bicker and fight each other even when death is literally knocking on our door.

I do find it funny how adamant these Northern Lords are that Jon keep his Crown when the North had been independent for such a short time and for as long as they can all recall the North has lived under Targaryen rule. Like, y'all bended the knee before, chill.
You have to take into account that they've suffered a lot due to Southron rule. Aerys murdered their lord and his heir. Then, they lost a lot of their fathers, sons and brothers in Roberts Rebellion. Robert himself was ok, but his wife & son go and kill their lord again! They're frustrated and angry.

Also, even though the North is technically part of the Seven Kingdoms, they've largely been left alone until the last 20-25 years.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Also regarding Jon's lineage, this is where setting up Rhaegar's harp would've played nicely and something Jon could use as proof of his heritage if called into question. I'm convinced that Rhaegar's harp is in Lyanna's crypt in the books and that's how Jon finds out.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't know if Casterly Rock will be quite the low-hanging fruit that it was on the TV show since Euron's Iron Born have been ravaging the West Coast. Also, the deal with the Lannisters' mines being all dried up is a show-only plot point (GRRM confirmed this last year, I believe)

Yeah but that would be another good reason to land there, to get money. Euron does beat her army in the show there, I think the same would happen. I really think they had her take Casterly Rock because GRRM told them it would happen. It was weird that she lands in the east but fights so far west. In the books things were seemingly lining up for Dany to land west, by traveling east, either circumventing the planet or some bermuda triangle shit, but it appears George dropped that when he chose not to do the five year gap he had wanted to.

Also regarding Jon's lineage, this is where setting up Rhaegar's harp would've played nicely and something Jon could use as proof of his heritage if called into question. I'm convinced that Rhaegar's harp is in Lyanna's crypt in the books and that's how Jon finds out.

Why would the harp be there? Who in their right mind would bring it and put it there?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I mean everyone literally preparing to fight ice zombies, are hanging with multiple people who have literally come back from the dead, one of whom has the power to make their sword spontaneously combust, there's also the dragons. I think the people who matter are pretty bought into the fact that magic is back in the world. Like there's some major limitations to all the magic ofc no one's casting gandalf spells. But everyone is too busy playing the game of thrones to focus on the game of "hey there's fucking zombies on the way we need to move past our differences and come up with a plan."

I don't think anyone outside of the folks who actually fought the wights and White Walkers actually grasp what they're about to be facing. I can imagine the situation not seeming quite real to them yet. Bickering about politics is probably almost comforting as it adds a sense of normalcy to what's going on
Damn that's actually a good point.

Watch they "For the watch" Jon again before he even gets the chance to fight the whitewalkers. I hate this fucking show. This amount of anxiety dude. Like I know shit's gonna go wrong as it always does, I can only take solace in the fact that Arya commissioned a chekhov's gun, which may ensure her survival. :|

Mar 25, 2019
This is correct. Gendry does not have a surname because he was not a "true" bastard, in that he was never accepted or acknowledged (or even known of) by his father.
Robert definitely was aware of Gendry. He paid the best blacksmith in Kings Landing double to take Gendry in as an apprentice,
Yeah but that would be another good reason to land there, to get money. Euron does beat her army in the show there, I think the same would happen. I really think they had her take Casterly Rock because GRRM told them it would happen. It was weird that she lands in the east but fights so far west. In the books things were seemingly lining up for Dany to land west, by traveling east, either circumventing the planet or some bermuda triangle shit, but it appears George dropped that when he chose not to do the five year gap he had wanted to.
That makes a lot of sense, actually. Book Tyrion likely wouldn't be aware of the occupation by Euron of the West coast (or at least the extent of it and how powerful Euron has become).

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but only Jon would have a chance of stopping her. She will definitely not listen to Tyrion (at this point after he's shit the bed), not Bran (she has yet to learn about his All Seeing but I doubt he has enough seay even with facts) and definitely not Brienne. She has no sway over Dany. And how invested is Jon in saving Jaime's life? After he reveals Cersei is betraying them there's not much for him to do except join Dany's Westerosi Avengers
I can see Tyrion stepping down as hand of the king for his brother. I can't see him being cool with Dany killing him.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean everyone literally preparing to fight ice zombies, are hanging with multiple people who have literally come back from the dead, one of whom has the power to make their sword spontaneously combust, there's also the dragons. I think the people who matter are pretty bought into the fact that magic is back in the world. Like there's some major limitations to all the magic ofc no one's casting gandalf spells. But everyone is too busy playing the game of thrones to focus on the game of "hey there's fucking zombies on the way we need to move past our differences and come up with a plan."

Damn that's actually a good point.

Watch they "For the watch" Jon again before he even gets the chance to fight the whitewalkers. I hate this fucking show. This amount of anxiety dude. Like I know shit's gonna go wrong as it always does, I can only take solace in the fact that Arya commissioned a chekhov's gun, which may ensure her survival. :|
Does he make it spontaneously combust? I always thought he sparked it?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Why would the harp be there? Who in their right mind would bring it and put it there?

A long held book theory and that would be Ned Stark. There's a lot of support for the theory such that I'd be shocked if it doesn't happen. Jon dreams too much about the crypts of Winterfell in the books and something being down there for him.

On a separate note, everytime Euron is on screen I keep expecting him to suddenly transform into Show Euron. But, he's still just a brazen, cocky idiot in the show.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Robert definitely was aware of Gendry. He paid the best blacksmith in Kings Landing double to take Gendry in as an apprentice,

Incorrect, that was Jon Arryn. Robert never gave a flying fuck about his bastards or how many he had out there in the wild. It was Jon Arryn that set the boy up and tracked his progress. Robert definitely kept any distance and knowledge of his bastards away when Cercei threatened to kill anyone she found.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
But would Jon be cool with her killing someone for saving over a million lives? That goes pretty hard against his entire character arc. He's the type that would probably do what Jamie did in that moment.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
This was oddly slow and lacking in impactful scenes. I get it that they're reintroducing everyone after a full year of absence, but I expected a little more oomph to open up the final season.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
This was oddly slow and lacking in impactful scenes. I get it that they're reintroducing everyone after a full year of absence, but I expected a little more oomph to open up the final season.

like what?

there were literally countless extremely important reunions, I wouldn't discount them for nothing. overriding the ep with tons of "exciting" moments like Jon riding a dragon would overshadow how crucial all the character interactions are.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
like what?

there were literally countless extremely important reunions, I wouldn't discount them for nothing. overriding the ep with tons of "exciting" moments like Jon riding a dragon would overshadow how crucial all the character interactions are.
I wouldn't take any of those scenes away either, just maybe add another scene as impactful as the burning body parts spiraly thing. Also could easily lose the Jon riding a dragon scenes, those were really cheesy in a bad way.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Newsflash: all of the Starks are dumb (Bran in his 3ER form being the sole exception). I have 7 seasons of TV and 5 books to use as references if need be. They're dumb asses: Ned, Cat, Robb, Jon, Arya, Sansa- they are/were literally walking mistake factories.
I mean no argument from me there. I just was not subjected to the most drab drama from these stupidity like I am with sansa lol

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
The dragon riding should have been half the length so they could fit in another quick reunion scene.

It just kept going

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Beric Dondarrion is so goddamn fuckin cool mofo bastard. I want him on the Iron Throne. There is no one more badass than him. Although Hound did beat his ass.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't take any of those scenes away either, just maybe add another scene as impactful as the burning body parts spiraly thing. Also could easily lose the Jon riding a dragon scenes, those were really cheesy in a bad way.

"I can show you the world/snowy, shivering, undead/tell me, bastard/now when did you last let your cock decide?"

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What is Dany referring to when she says "You should have never trusted Cersei" and Sansa says "Neither should you" or the other way around? When did Sansa trust Cersei?

Status
Not open for further replies.