• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aside from needlessly long dragon riding scene and Theon's super easy rescue of Asha, it was a solid episode.
The earned reunions outwayed the more fan-fictiony parts.
I think the ease of Yara's rescue make sense. Euron was preoccupied with Cersie and no one would expect Theon to step up and try a rescue attempt. Plus, she isn't really a major target outside the Ironborn world.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
untitled-162.gif

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the whole sansa is now a genius super brain is a bit hard to swallow given all the Arya/LF nonsense from last season.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My problem with Sansa's role as being the smart one is that she hasn't really offered much strategy besides being highly suspicious of everyone. Saying "This is a bad idea" a million times while offering no counter strategy is poor leadership.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
So looks like there will be a Jamie trial next episode, but there's no way that he DOESN'T get bailed out by Brienne, right? His moments of honor were significant in setting in motion the events that led to the Stark family being reunited. Also Tyrion is there and can vouch for him too.

Yeah the whole sansa is now a genius super brain is a bit hard to swallow given all the Arya/LF nonsense from last season.

She's not though. She learned a lot but still lets her emotions get the better of her sometimes.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't the last season end with a truce/peace between Cersei and the rest? They aren't going to hurt Jaime

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
In the books got 10 plotlines locations
dany
Young griff
Dorne
Kings landing
The riverlands
The vale
The iron islands
The north
And the wall and beyond
And arya
Now 5 of those I think will converge

Young griff will kill cersia and tommonlen and defeat lannister rule of kings landing

Dorne will support

S ansa will marry him and little finger will become hand to think king after Jon conington dies.

Brienne will die in the river lands, to save Jaime, Jaime will return to kings landing, kill Cersei, then go to the wall and become the 1000th and final lord commander

Stannis beats the boltons will either die to the other or to dany

Dany will have 2 villians before the other, young griff and euron

No idea how arya will factor besides killing lady stone heart.

No. Some of there are good theories with lots evidence but some of these are just things you want to happen rather than anything with substantial backing like Sansa marrying "Aegon" or Brienne dying in the Riverlands or Jaime becoming LC.

(Also Martin isn't even subtle about Arianne and "Aegon" hooking up. People just want Littlefinger to team up with Varys)

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
No. Some of there are good theories with lots evidence but some of these are just things you want to happen rather than anything with substantial backing like Sansa marrying "Aegon" or Brienne dying in the Riverlands or Jaime becoming LC.

(Also Martin isn't even subtle about Arianne and "Aegon" hooking up. People just want Littlefinger to team up with Varys)
I think little finger and varys in-fighting under him will be what takes him down

Keyframe

Oct 29, 2017
Can someone remind me what happened to Mellisandre in the show because I can't remember where she is.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Can someone remind me what happened to Mellisandre in the show because I can't remember where she is.

She said she was leaving for Volantis, presumably because she said she had made terrible mistakes, so she's pulling a Gandalf to read up on that ring. (That's figurative: she will come back with some truth or weapon or some such)

She said she would return.

Also note she told Varys their days of whispering in kings' ears had come to and end, which he rebuked. But in ep1 he specifically says he is not being listened to. He's not done whispering in a king/queen's ear I think, but alas, nothing lasts, not for Jon and Dany.

I really hope we get some Bran/Varys scene. I want to see how they would treat each other. Bran is his kryptonite, but Varys is not a liar, just a whisperer and truth-holder.

I suspect Varys will turn his attention to Sansa.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Interviewer: Outside of Jon's status as the heir to the Iron Throne, and outside of the fact that Sam does not believe in Daenerys' worthiness as a leader, why do you feel Sam believes Jon is the right person to govern Westeros?

John Bradley(Sam's actor):Aside from those two things, which are very important, I think you can look at it from a purely romantic point of view, if you like. Sam knows Jon really well. He knows his heart is in the right place. He knows he does things for the right reasons. He has a very strict moral code that he adheres to as much as he can. Sometimes he makes hard decisions. He never takes any decision lightly. He tries to do everything for the right reasons. That's the romantic view. If you want a more cynical version, of what's under the surface? Sam always has had a habit of manipulating Jon. He's manipulated him on so many other occasions. The reason he manipulates him in the past is to keep Gilly and Baby Sam safe. He manipulated him to be the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch because that was the best chance of getting Gilly and Baby Sam out of Castle Black and into the Citadel. If Jon is in a position of power, he thinks he can work on Jon to make as safe a life as possible for the people he cares the most about in the world. It's a little cynical, but I do think Sam is so hyper-intelligent and calculated that any plot he can scheme and any route he can take to keep Gilly and Baby Sam safe, he's going to do it. If Jon is in a position of power, then he can grease those wheels more easily. Those are two ways of looking at it. Take your pick!

Sam believes in Jon Snow. Jon Snow believes in Daenerys. Can Sam ever get on board with Jon's vision, or in his mind, has Daenerys crossed a line she can never come back from?

In terms of Sam telling Jon about his true claim to the throne, I think it was hurried along by what Daenerys told him. I think he definitely sees Daenerys as unstable, as a volatile character, as somebody who is determined to succeed without a real moral compass. She'll kill people for a minor act of disobedience. I think Sam is very wary of her now and sees how dangerous she can be — not just for Jon Snow, but also in terms of the entire Seven Kingdoms. We could have a Mad Queen here. Sam knows enough about history to know what people who are slightly unhinged and slightly unbalanced are like when they're in charge, and the damage they can cause. Sam has learned from the mistakes of history. He's never going to come around to Daenerys. He's too wise for that. He's too wary and suspicious of her now. If she's going to be incredibly destructive and volatile, then she could get the Seven Kingdoms into a worse position if she continues to be unyielding, impulsive and so violent. If she's going to continue dealing with things in such a violent way, then he can only see dark days ahead if she's on the throne. His desire to tell Jon about his claim to the Iron Throne is all but informed by his desire to make sure some of those dark days of the Mad King and the past reigns of imbalance never continue into the future. Sam has an agenda now. He definitely has an agenda.

--------

Daaaaamn. These are some harsh words.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Did Jorah and Lyanna Mormont ever talk in the series? I expected at least some acknowledgement to happen this episode.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Newsflash: all of the Starks are dumb (Bran in his 3ER form being the sole exception). I have 7 seasons of TV and 5 books to use as references if need be. They're dumb asses: Ned, Cat, Robb, Jon, Arya, Sansa- they are/were literally walking mistake factories.

I meant to quote you.

As I told another poster, Bran and Arya are geniuses in the books. Literally, little kids with the brains of late teenagers with their genius-level IQs.

Their intellect almost breaks my immersion.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I feel like this is going to feel so rushed with just 5 episodes left.

Like are they just going to have the army of the dead resolved within 2-3 episodes?

Having them march past Winterfell and completely wreck King's Landing and Cersei before turning around for the finale would actually make it a lot more satisfying I feel.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Interviewer: Outside of Jon's status as the heir to the Iron Throne, and outside of the fact that Sam does not believe in Daenerys' worthiness as a leader, why do you feel Sam believes Jon is the right person to govern Westeros?

John Bradley(Sam's actor):Aside from those two things, which are very important, I think you can look at it from a purely romantic point of view, if you like. Sam knows Jon really well. He knows his heart is in the right place. He knows he does things for the right reasons. He has a very strict moral code that he adheres to as much as he can. Sometimes he makes hard decisions. He never takes any decision lightly. He tries to do everything for the right reasons. That's the romantic view. If you want a more cynical version, of what's under the surface? Sam always has had a habit of manipulating Jon. He's manipulated him on so many other occasions. The reason he manipulates him in the past is to keep Gilly and Baby Sam safe. He manipulated him to be the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch because that was the best chance of getting Gilly and Baby Sam out of Castle Black and into the Citadel. If Jon is in a position of power, he thinks he can work on Jon to make as safe a life as possible for the people he cares the most about in the world. It's a little cynical, but I do think Sam is so hyper-intelligent and calculated that any plot he can scheme and any route he can take to keep Gilly and Baby Sam safe, he's going to do it. If Jon is in a position of power, then he can grease those wheels more easily. Those are two ways of looking at it. Take your pick!

Sam believes in Jon Snow. Jon Snow believes in Daenerys. Can Sam ever get on board with Jon's vision, or in his mind, has Daenerys crossed a line she can never come back from?

In terms of Sam telling Jon about his true claim to the throne, I think it was hurried along by what Daenerys told him. I think he definitely sees Daenerys as unstable, as a volatile character, as somebody who is determined to succeed without a real moral compass. She'll kill people for a minor act of disobedience. I think Sam is very wary of her now and sees how dangerous she can be — not just for Jon Snow, but also in terms of the entire Seven Kingdoms. We could have a Mad Queen here. Sam knows enough about history to know what people who are slightly unhinged and slightly unbalanced are like when they're in charge, and the damage they can cause. Sam has learned from the mistakes of history. He's never going to come around to Daenerys. He's too wise for that. He's too wary and suspicious of her now. If she's going to be incredibly destructive and volatile, then she could get the Seven Kingdoms into a worse position if she continues to be unyielding, impulsive and so violent. If she's going to continue dealing with things in such a violent way, then he can only see dark days ahead if she's on the throne. His desire to tell Jon about his claim to the Iron Throne is all but informed by his desire to make sure some of those dark days of the Mad King and the past reigns of imbalance never continue into the future. Sam has an agenda now. He definitely has an agenda.

--------

Daaaaamn. These are some harsh words.
I've been saying it since season 7: they're setting Dany up to fall. The comments she makes during this episode really brought that home for me. Whining about how she's the queen, hinting she might punish Sansa... With Sam's revelations to Jon, we see a big fissure forming there. Once the threats of the dead and Cersei are dealt with, that rift will widen.

I'm pretty sure at this point that Dany will never sit on the Iron Throne. Not sure if Jon wil, either, but I'm definitely in his camp, not Dany's.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like this is going to feel so rushed with just 5 episodes left.

Like are they just going to have the army of the dead resolved within 2-3 episodes?

Having them march past Winterfell and completely wreck King's Landing and Cersei before turning around for the finale would actually make it a lot more satisfying I feel.
They're gonna get the shit kicked out of them at Winterfell. They're not ready, they're fighting with each other, they're not gonna be able to handle that ice dragon. Expect most of the ancillary characters, the ones that don't really have large story components left, to die. Tormund, Jorah, Berric, Edd, Varys, possibly one of the Lannister brothers, maybe even Sansa would be a candidate, although that'd be fucked at this point — not that I'd put it past them. And if they take Davos from us, ugh. Hound's safe because DnD are 100% in on Cleganebowl.

But yeah, expect extreme thread trimming and Bran to pull a rabbit out of a hat when he learns something super important during the battle of Winterfell so that they can get to the Night King and end it in a single stroke. The Cersei and Kings Landing stuff will get resolved during the retreat south and before the final showdown. Maybe they hold on Cersei herself getting done in until afterwards for a clean epilogue

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
That scene in the crypt with Sam and Jon. Phenomenal.

"You gave up your crown. Would she have done the same?"

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
They're gonna get the shit kicked out of them at Winterfell. They're not ready, they're fighting with each other, they're not gonna be able to handle that ice dragon. Expect most of the ancillary characters, the ones that don't really have large story components left, to die. Tormund, Jorah, Berric, Edd, Varys, possibly one of the Lannister brothers, maybe even Sansa would be a candidate, although that'd be fucked at this point — not that I'd put it past them. And if they take Davos from us, ugh. Hound's safe because DnD are 100% in on Cleganebowl.

But yeah, expect extreme thread trimming and Bran to pull a rabbit out of a hat when he learns something super important during the battle of Winterfell so that they can get to the Night King and end it in a single stroke. The Cersei and Kings Landing stuff will get resolved during the retreat south and before the final showdown. Maybe they hold on Cersei herself getting done in until afterwards for a clean epilogue

Watch Euron oust Cersei from power before any of them get there and then Euron turns into the final villain. Saruman to the Night King's Sauron.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Watch Euron oust Cersei from power before any of them get there and then Euron turns into the final villain. Saruman to the Night King's Sauron.
That would be hilarious, but I'm expecting him to go one step too far with Cersei in some way and get a gruesome death at the hands of the Mountain. Yara's scene felt like a wrap for her so I'm not expecting any direct resolution to that family squabble, and giving a faction leader a sudden, impactful death and then writing out the entire faction is right in the late-show's wheelhouse. See: Dorne, Highgarden.

The Euron-Greyjoys evaporating from the show actually makes more sense than either of those two because once Euron's dead, it's totally believable that the rest would fuck off to go pirate somewhere, assimilate into a Kings Landing fleet, or go home with their tails tucked between their legs, whereas all of Dorne and the entire population of Highgarden and its noble houses were basically just swept under the rug despite still very much being there.

Last edited:

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.