• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
Dany's reaction to Sansa pressing her about the North tells us all we need to know about her. She's acquisitive over something she's never had and now furious that someone else has a greater claim than her - a person she is supposed to love and would surely know at this point that he didn't want the crown the people of the North gave him and wouldn't want the crown of the seven kingdoms. But no, she can't see that, all she can see is what she can potentially lose. Not what she already has and what she may yet gain with the alliance.

Predictions on Ghost, Sansa, Theon and Daenerys -

Sansa reminding us that the North vowed to never bow to another foreign monarch, Dany getting a visible demonstration of the differences between her and her friends and advisors compared to the Starks has me wondering if Dany will survive the series at all. I've sometimes commiserated with her losses and mostly been glad at her victories, but she's far too convinced of her own right through might, and too inflexible to see the consequences some times. She is not the ruler the seven kingdoms needs. But someone honourable and true to their word, someone who doesn't want to rule but is damn good at it anyway? And with a better claim already? Hmm.
I've come to terms for a while now that they're leading up to Dany being shades of the mad king, some trauma in the coming battle will tip her over the edge and she'll do something reckless or become the antagonist.

I'm not convinced she'll even be around to face Cersei.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's boring as fuck, as does everyone else I've spoken to.

2 episodes we have had like 15 minutes of meaningful events or dialogue. Some people are already showing signs of stockholm syndrome in their defence of a terribly written and acted show. Ghost being reduced to non interactive cgi is killing it too.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I've come to terms for a while now that they're leading up to Dany being shades of the mad king, some trauma in the coming battle will tip her over the edge and she'll do something reckless or become the antagonist.

I'm not convinced she'll even be around to face Cersei.

I'm pretty sure we saw a vision of her at a ruined King's Landing, either in a vision she saw because of the Warlocks of Qarth or maybe it was Bran seeing it, I don't know. I'm fairly convinced now that she won't see the full season out but I think given that vision there's a good chance she'll get to King's Landing anyway. But you're right, shades of her father indeed.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah and it sucked as a result of how rapid everything was.

Do people just want constant, non stop action or something? How did you even make it through the first few seasons.

Did you even read what I said? If they had paced it better they could have had less action last season and slowed down a bit keeping some for this season.

It's not Mad Men, the writing and acting are not good enough for what they have attempted these last 2 weeks.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
You're regularly scheduled Stannis Treatise will have to wait a bit more, fell asleep early and will have to leave for work soon. But, parts III and IV will be posted sometime today. We'll explore Stannis particular brand of justice and likely his views on religion.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
I think NK wanting to kill Bran is Brans interpretation of it. It's more like NK wants to turn Bran and have the power of the three eyed Raven on his side.

Speculation on my part of course

I think NK already has the same powers as Bran in regards to green-seeing and if anything can most likely wield them much better than Bran can. NK was able to straight up grab and mark Brans real body while he was in a vision.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I had this image of Dany turning on Jon, commanding Rhaegal to burn him only for the dragon to turn on her. Or either dragon just refuses.

Still think more likely, prophecy passes Jon's gonna give her his cousin/her son/grand nephew or daughter/grand niece.

EDIT: People still hung up that an 18 year old wanted some first time action before possibly dying?

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're regularly scheduled Stannis Treatise will have to wait a bit more, fell asleep early and will have to leave for work soon. But, parts III and IV will be posted sometime today. We'll explore Stannis particular brand of justice and likely his views on religion.

Looking forward to more text where you defend a man who burned his daughter and watched.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to more text where you defend a man who burned his daughter and watched.

Jon Snow has executed children. Daenerys has burned many a people, not all of whom were guilty of any crime. Jamie Lannister pushed a child out a window. Tormund was a wilding who has killed many a innocent Northerners during his raids. The Hound ran down a child. Tyrion strangled Shae to death out of pure revenge. No one is pure.

Stannis has better reasons than most.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I came to this thread expecting discussions about every aspect of the episode - instead there's dozens of pages about whether it was correct for Arya to get some action.

Never change, ResetERA.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jon Snow has executed children. Daenerys has burned many a people, not all of whom were guilty of any crime. Jamie Lannister pushed a child out a window. Tormund was a wilding who has killed many a innocent Northerners during his raids. The Hound ran down a child. Tyrion strangled Shae to death out of pure revenge. No one is pure.

If Stan is had joined with Renly when he had the chance, hundred of thousands would still be alive. (Or vice versa, they're both idiots.)

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
Did you even read what I said? If they had paced it better they could have had less action last season and slowed down a bit keeping some for this season.

It's not Mad Men, the writing and acting are not good enough for what they have attempted these last 2 weeks.

I suppose you're right. I really didn't like season 7 due to the absurd amount of convenience and lack of logic in everything.

I do feel like the last episodes are going to be full of action though, don't see how they can fit in another 'slow' episode

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
All this talk about the supposedly abrupt Arya x Gendry got me wondering..
How long has Jon even knew Daenerys before they jumped under the blanket? How many lines of flirting was exchanged? What kind of events they went through together to forge a bond enough to want to bang?

Not sarcasm btw.
I'm asking in all sincerity because I'm mostly a book reader and only skimmed the highlights after they run out of book material. Mostly after The Green Trial ugh that's the one of the most cop out conclusion of an ark I've ever seen bleargh

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
All this talk about the supposedly abrupt Arya x Gendry got me wondering..
How long has Jon even knew Daenerys before they jumped under the blanket? How many lines of flirting was exchanged? What kind of events they went through together to forge a bond enough to want to bang?

Not sarcasm btw.
I'm asking in all sincerity because I'm mostly a book reader and only skimmed the highlights after they run out of book material. Mostly after The Green Trial ugh that's the one of the most cop out conclusion of an ark I've ever seen bleargh

Yeah this whole "I'm here because I love your brother" feels kinda unearned, but maybe I'm just forgetting a lot of interactions from last season.

DCPat

Oct 28, 2017
I guess people are allowed to their opinions, but I do have to admit the negative comments ruin my fun in this thread. I come here to read theories and speculations, not people arguing if it is a good or bad episode and why. Maybe there should be a different kind of review thread.

I've been reading that people think Tyrion and Jaime will survive? I believe Jaime is going to do something heroic and then die later, or die doing it. Per his conversation with Bran, I believe there is no after the fight for Jaime.

Oct 25, 2017
Lady Stoneheart is eh, I'm glad she was left out.
Lady Stoneheart was shit, glad Beric is still around doing his thing in the show instead of that mess.
Though that book scene with Brienne meeting her was so good.

We didn't need the male gazy camera work. It feels weird, cause we've known Arya since she was a kid. And she's never been sexualized. So when the show suddenly decides, "K let's sexualize Arya," it feels weird even in context.
IddXGWx.gif

That and aside from literally one glance ever, Arya just never seemed the type to be interested in that type of thing.
Shout out to the Normies, lol.

Last edited:

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I guess people are allowed to their opinions, but I do have to admit the negative comments ruin my fun in this thread. I come here to read theories and speculations, not people arguing if it is a good or bad episode and why. Maybe there should be a different kind of review thread.

I've been reading that people think Tyrion and Jaime will survive? I believe Jaime is going to do something heroic and then die later, or die doing it. Per his conversation with Bran, I believe there is no after the fight for Jaime.
If you have your own opinion and enjoy the show than nothing these vinegar-pissers say will do anything to change that. Just laugh it off and enjoy.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Robb had joined with Stannis instead of crowning himself King, hundreds of thousands would still be alive.

He didn't crown himself :P but that's the least of Robb's problems really. Stannis didn't have the support he needed to combat the Lannisters. Renly had 100k soldiers and the Tyrell warchest at the time they met and Stannis decided to put a ghost baby dagger in his heart and let the Tyrells go back to Tywin instead.

Newman96

Oct 27, 2017
hopefully its ok to drag past seasons in, but almost done with S4 in my rewatch and 2 things:

1 - I'm not sure im ready for mountain vs oberyn again, I remember that scene fucking me up and im not even squimish.

2 - this scene tho

still gives me goosebumps.

This scene is so good, can't remember the last time the show had something like this. The action set pieces are still great but I think it lacks these big intense character moments. It certainly misses an actor like Charles Dance who can really steal a scene.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I'm with you. Everything I've read regarding what happens to Cat in the books sounded really stupid
Nah, it's awesome. One of the best twists in the books.

And there's not a whole lot of her in the books. She's mostly been this invisible background influence fucking shit up who is only revealed in an epilogue-twist that is still unresolved, 14 years later.

Deleted member 28131

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You have to wonder if people are even watching the same show as you sometimes. If you can't understand why Arya does what she does in this episode, I don't know what to tell you.

Haha totally, perfect example right here with this guy:

It's absolutely an awkward out of left field scene knowing everything we know about the character. Both the fanservice scenes in this season have felt completely out of place.

How is it awkward and out of left field? Remember the earlier seasons when they're travelling with the Brotherhood? Nah probably not. There's a scene where Arya says something like "you could be my family" to Gendry. The seed was planted way back then. If you wern't expecting Arya and Gendry to get together at some point then you wern't paying attention mate. She was even flirty with him in last week's episode. It's absolutely believable and in character that she would want to experience sex before what could possibly be the end of the world.

Keep up.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
For sure.

It's impossible to gauge how good Lady Stoneheart will be as she hasn't been in the books for more than a couple of pages. We're going to need more from Brienne and Jaime's point of view chapters before any claims of rubbishness can be made.
+ The two scenes with her have been fantastic.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Renly is the bigger idiot.
Stanis was the older brother and rightful king, Renly was like "Nah, I think I can do better" and fucks everything up.

Rightful means jack when Joffrey already usurped the throne before them. They should have joined for the good of their house and the people of westeros and they may have if not for the red woman and Stannis being a prideful idiot.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

None of them burned their own child alive, sacrificed for literally no good reason.

Book Stannis is apparently better, but tv show Stannis was 100% awful.

Ebrietas-

Mar 2, 2019
Rightful means jack when Joffrey already usurped the throne before them. They should have joined for the good of their house and the people of westeros and they may have if not for the red woman and Stannis being a prideful idiot.

Renly should have just never claimed the throne like an idiot when he neither has the right or the capability to rule the seven kingdoms.

This quote from the books summarizes the situation of baratheon bros pretty well:

"Robert was the true steel. Stannis is pure iron, black and hard and strong, yes, but brittle, the way iron gets. He'll break before he bends. And Renly, that one, he's copper, bright and shiny, pretty to look at but not worth all that much at the end of the day."

Last edited:

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Renly should have just never claimed the throne to himself for no reason like an idiot when he neither has the right or the capability to rule the seven kingdoms.

This quote by Varys from the books summarizes the situation of baratheon bros pretty well:

"Robert was the true steel. Stannis is pure iron, black and hard and strong, yes, but brittle, the way iron gets. He'll break before he bends. And Renly, that one, he's copper, bright and shiny, pretty to look at but not worth all that much at the end of the day."
It's true at the start until his defeat at blackwater, but Stannis's arc in ASOS and ADWD is about showing the part of the quote about him is not entirely true.
and fyi donal noye said that not varys.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
Olenna said it best - Renly's claim was pure treason.

The best chance the Realm stood after Robert's death would have been Stannis as King with Renly as his Hand. That would not be met with any opposition from the Reach, the Stormlands, the North, the Riverlands or the Eyrie, and with the Lannisters gone they could have patched things up with Dorne. That would have left the Westerlands isolated, and unless they planned on joining forces with the Ironborn who they despise, the Lannisters would be kept at bay.

Stannis would have been a frugal king who would have prioritised clearing the Iron Bank debt, and Renly would be the diplomat and champion of the common folk, which would counteract the effects of Stannis being a miserable grump with zero people skills. Alas, it was not to be.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
The entire of point of the brothers (in the books atleast) is, Stannis is veiwed as hard and without mercy but is the the king the kingdom needs at the time vs renly who everyone loves and is super kind but would be a shit and ineffective king.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017

The best chance the Realm stood after Robert's death would have been Stannis as King with Renly as his Hand. That would not be met with any opposition from the Reach, the Stormlands, the North, the Riverlands or the Eyrie, and with the Lannisters gone they could have patched things up with Dorne. That would have left the Westerlands isolated, and unless they planned on joining forces with the Ironborn who they despise, the Lannisters would be kept at bay.

Stannis would have been a frugal king who would have prioritised clearing the Iron Bank debt, and Renly would be the diplomat and champion of the common folk, which would counteract the effects of Stannis being a miserable grump with zero people skills. Alas, it was not to be.
If Renly joined Stannis there would have never been something called a Rainbow Guard. It was a risk too big to take.

Also,
y3j1hoqdxvt21.png

The crypt scenes should be swell on my eyes.

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
Renly should have just never claimed the throne to himself for no reason like an idiot when he neither has the right or the capability to rule the seven kingdoms.

This quote from the books summarizes the situation of baratheon bros pretty well:

It's easy to see with hindsight, but at the time Stannis had been defeated and had few supporters, Renly had the people and the army even if he was a bit of a pawn in the Tyrell's plans.

Manipulation has always been a big player in GoT.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
If the final thread title isn't "And Now Our Watch is Ended," then OP has failed.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
I really don't get the Arya scene "hate". She's a young woman, of course she's gonna fuck around.

Jamie is going to die saving either Tyrion or Bran, don't know how tho since we still need a final confrontation between Cersei and Jamie.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't have an issue with her behaviour in this episode but in the overall story there were lines she crossed, which were points-of-no-return in becoming a compassionless killing machine. It's fan service to humanise her now and inconsistent for the show's universe to go easy on her.

The only satisfying outcome for Arya was for her to completely lose herself and become either chaotic neutral or chaotic evil and her quest for vengeance to become an obstacle for the other protagonists.
If she truly became a compashinless machine she would have followed through with becoming a faceless. Her holding on to her identity, was holding on to some humanity. Which she's now explored a bit more by picking up on the interest she had in Gendry. Literally, her letting go of her identity was presented as THE point of no return.

Last edited:

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX

I once read a theory that what ultimately doomed Stannis was something as minor as his opposition to the King's Landing prostitution industry. That that was what turned Littlefinger into a hardcore anti-Stannis partisan, leading LF making the call to kill Jon Arryn when Jon and Stannis got too close in their investigation into Robert's bastards/the legitimacy of Cersei's children, and then pushing Renly hard to Ned Stark after Roberts death, which Ned refused since it was the least legitimate of all the claims put forward, and then negotiating for the the Tyrells to flip to Joffrey rather than to Stannis after Renly's death, with the agreement being that he would help Olenna take out Joffrey to protect Margaery if the rumors about his poor character ended up being true. That basically all of the first three books of LF are him taking the most anti-Stannis option on the table to protect his brothels.

Oldest_Snake

Oct 29, 2017
You know seeing all these character together in the same place really makes me wish the show had gone with the more ostentatious House colours/armour that's described in the books instead of everyone wearing the same boring black & brown outfits.

Would have been really nice to see some actual visual representation of all the different Houses coming together and no doubt keep it clear who's who when it all kicks off next episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.