• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
That woman up front... come on...

Are people really like that???

No. That girl is intentionally over the top and I hate it. She has been that way since the series began on that channel and has only gotten worse as the channel has grown. But she is friends with the owner of the Channel/Bar so it doesn't seem to matter. I do my best to ignore her and her friend.

But other than her and her friend I find all the reactions to be rather genuine. the couple at the end of the bar (Captain America and Glasses) are my favorites. They are always pretty spot on with how myself react.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Screenshot_20190429-161429_Instagram.jpg

New Yorker with the shade.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
But you guys realize there are two arguments why it is stupid that the NK died the way he did, right? Because the last pages have all been about fragile dudes not liking a women killed him.
Arya getting the kill was totally ok, but the way it happened was insanely stupid and way too fast. Like, she literally appeared out of nowhere and somehow got the jump on the Night King. I think I would have even liked it better if she somehow switches places with Bran or something lol. This was just too random.
Also I always hoped she gets the kill on Cersei, would have been more fitting for her arc, but I don't think she gets both big kills in the series.
Hahaha the "Bran mask" idea would get just as much, if not more criticism. The Night King has his mark on Bran. Why would he fall for Arya in a mask?

At least Arya sneaking up on the WWs in the Godswood is foreshadowed by her sneaking up on Jon in the Godswood.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Finally saw the episode, came here to check on the comments and I'm shocked. People who have complains about this episode because of the books are almost as worse as the Star Wars fans who are so absorbed in the EU that they forgot to enjoy anything.

The episode was a beautiful piece of television and the level of tension kept from beginning to end was incredible. Really amazing.

Better than being elitists about the Others anyhow.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
/rolleyes

Gary Sue is used so little that you didn't even realized that that term exists.

I remembered it existed, but in fact I couldn't remember which name was exactly. But that's precisely because at this point, people uses Mary Sue in general, indistinticly of the genre of the character. It's a much more known term, that made it universal.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
My main thought on the episode is, based on how the episode unfolded there are far too many celebrities still alive.
Disapointed.gif

Think how easily plot armour was put aside in the books/early episodes.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
"Criticisms" of this ep taking the exact same trajectory TLJ did is the least surprising thing. So predictably boring.

Except... I don't see a single person here arguing that her character didn't deserve it. She absolutely does.

But how it went down wasn't very satisfying at all. And frankly, nonsensical. I know you have to suspend some belief to enjoy the show, but there's a limit here.

The NK isn't stupid enough to let white walkers fight Jon when he has a bajillion pounds of canon fodder he can use.

But yet, is stupid enough to leave himself vulnerable to an attack without anyone around him to stop it?

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
Hahaha the "Bran mask" idea would get just as much, if not more criticism. The Night King has his mark on Bran. Why would he fall for Arya in a mask?
At least Arya sneaking up on the WWs in the Godswood is foreshadowed by her sneaking up on Jon in the Godswood.
That wasn't a real suggestion, I just think the way they handled it was one of the worst possible ways.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. That girl is intentionally over the top and I hate it. She has been that way since the series began on that channel and has only gotten worse as the channel has grown. But she is friends with the owner of the Channel/Bar so it doesn't seem to matter. I do my best to ignore her and her friend.

But other than her and her friend I find all the reactions to be rather genuine. the couple at the end of the bar (Captain America and Glasses) are my favorites. They are always pretty spot on with how myself react.
You're pretty invested in this huh? lol

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to understand how someone can characterize that as lazy. Like...do they envision a writer sitting at their desk saying, "But I don't WANNA write more dialogue"?
Probably. It's just a weak piece of rhetoric people fall back on when they don't know how to express their misgivings about something.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. This would have alleviated a lot of the concerns without feeling too orchestrated/fan servicey.

Injured Rheagal swoops in to save Jon from the wight dragon
Not sure if the wight dragon can be killed by dragon fire, but even if it can't rheagal could just distract it long enough for Jon to come into the godwood area and see the NK and Bran.

NK signals generals to kill Jon. Jon is outnumbered but kills at least 2 before getting injured and thrown to the ground. NK gives him one last look and turns to Bran. Theres some heartfelt look as they believe they failed when Jon notices Arya climbing in the ramparts. Jon attempts to distract the NK as arya jumps in and gets grabbed anyway. Pulls off the move. Bam.

The show runners are terrible, this is known.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
mary sue is a worthless criticism seeing as it's so utterly divorced from its origins.

It's basically a short hand for "character I don't like" and is overwhelmingly applied to women

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
The NK isn't stupid enough to let white walkers fight Jon when he has a bajillion pounds of canon fodder he can use.

If the NK doesn't do anything other than fly around in his storm wind they win. His hubris got the best of him I guess is the take away for the episode. Hubris that was never established since the dude never fucking talked.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Nah it doesn't count as a 1v1. By the ancient and immortal rules of Dark Souls you are required to bow to your opponent before you fight or else its not a true victory. All Arya did was try to sneak attack backstab the Night King as a dagger wielding rogue like a scrublord.
lmao
Arya hornet giantdad twink memelord confirmed

But you guys realize there are two arguments why it is stupid that the NK died the way he did, right? Because the last pages have all been about fragile dudes not liking a women killed him.
Arya getting the kill was totally ok, but the way it happened was insanely stupid and way too fast. Like, she literally appeared out of nowhere and somehow got the jump on the Night King. I think I would have even liked it better if she somehow switches places with Bran or something lol. This was just too random.
Also I always hoped she gets the kill on Cersei, would have been more fitting for her arc, but I don't think she gets both big kills in the series.
Agreed with all of this. I'm OK if Jaime gets that kill though.

Oh my fucking GOD

Oct 26, 2017
With all the incredible talent this show has had, it's almost cosmically tragic that things are headed to a three way showdown between the 2 worst actors on the show and an actor who, while good in other things, has been pretty one-note throughout GoT.
To think there are still folks out there that think Lena Headey can act.

Oct 26, 2017
If the NK doesn't do anything other than fly around in his storm wind they win. His hubris got the best of him I guess is the take away for the episode. Hubris that was never established since the dude never fucking talked.
Well yeah. The Night King is unfortunately a terrible villain, and hopefully people's largest takeaway is the reminder that he has always been shit.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
That something was actually lost in the humanity threatening battle?

Bran dying right before Arya got to the NK would have made her teleporting a little less rediculous and the three eyed raven dying off would have been an actual large consequence to the battle.
Hell of a lot people were killed at Winterfell, they were basically defeated.
Showing loss of characters that the audience likes in order to convey there were sacrifices necessary to win such a crazy battle.
Nobody liked the named characters that died? I find that hard to believe, I quite liked few of them or just thought them as interesting characters.
Loved this shot. I'll definitely watch this episode with better quality on a full rewatch of the series. Preferably bluray if that is then available.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Also about the start of the final battle, why the humans thought it will be a good idea to send the chivalry directy to the undead infantry?
Yeah, that was only part that felt forced to me. Only thing I can think of is the whole Dothraki are at their best on an open field thing where they are "supposed to be pretty unbeatable" when they can ride, so it's probably intended to make it even more brutal that they get demolished so easily even while riding. So even if they stood back they probably would have gotten overrun just as quick with no momentum on those horses. Even so it was indeed a confusing opening move since even with the flaming swords they and we still couldn't see exactly what they're riding into, whereas the dragons could have lit things up first (though I guess I also get not playing that card first since NK has his own too).

That said, it was totally probably just for the cool dread building visual of those flame swords going out one after the other.

Or at the very least hang spikes on the wall that makes them unclimbable.
I could be wrong but while they could have done more I think I saw it shown that they did try to do some preparation like this, at least at the top. I think I remember seeing a bunch of pointy spike-like things probably made of dragonglass at the top of at least several sections of the wall.

Edit: Oh yeah, here we go

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

And the whole stealth section in the library earlier.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm typically one to criticize the obsession with main character deaths people have in these big tentpole TV shows, but the plot armor was a bit too obvious in this. The circumstances were so overwhelmingly bleak, so seemingly insurmountable, and so outrageously hellish that it strained the imagination how so many of the main characters survived. I'm not upset. Like I said in a previous post, I try hard to treat the show on its own terms. And when Arya delivered the final blow, it was glorious relief to see some of my favorite characters still standing. But it was difficult to suspend my disbelief, even for a show with dragons, ice zombies, and fire magic.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally saw the episode, came here to check on the comments and I'm shocked. People who have complains about this episode because of the books are almost as worse that Star Wars fans who are so absorbed in the EU that they forgot to enjoy anything.

The episode was a beautiful piece of television and the level of tension kept from beginning to end was incredible. Really amazing.

Better than being elitists about the Others anyhow.
I too was rather surprised last night to see the complaints but eh, part of the reason im able to broadly enjoy this stuff is i dont sweat the small stuff like a lot of angry fans typically do. I had it completely flipped because i also loved last weeks episode but expected everyone to hate it, while this episode i also loved even more and expected everyone to love it. Can't predict what the angry folk are gonna do all the time. I'm just blessed i can enjoy this stuff i suppose. Im not a pushover or anything as i've actually seen what 'trash' tv really is and will ignore it as such but it does get annoying when you see something like this and it gets dismissed as such from people. Plus the season isn't even over. It's pretty expected though i guess when these types of entertainment pieces get so large with such high expectations, everyone feels entitled to make it their own and it inevitably always ends with disappointment, especially these days with social media signal boosting the hype.

I'm typically one to criticize the obsession with main character deaths people have in these big tentpole TV shows, but the plot armor was a bit too obvious in this. The circumstances were so overwhelmingly bleak, so seemingly insurmountable, and so outrageously hellish that it strained the imagination how so many of the main characters survived. I'm not upset. Like I said in a previous post, I try hard to treat the show on its own terms. And when Arya delivered the final blow, it was glorious relief to see some of my favorite characters still standing. But it was difficult to suspend my disbelief, even for a show with dragons, ice zombies, and fire magic.

That was one issue was it felt like everyone standing at the end was basically everyone's favorite characters. Im hoping Bran was doing some serious work under the tree to actually save them all. You never know, seemed a bit odd he is warging while everyone is protecting him if all he did was become ravens to view the NK.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
I have an OLED and it still looked like shit, so I think just some of their streaming platforms had issues with how many people were watching the episode.
I can't speak for all of HBO's services, but HBO Nordic is one of, if not the, worst popular streaming service (that I've used) when it comes to image-quality. The compression kills detail, especially in dark scenes.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
Disney was really stupid to hire D and D for a Star Wars trilogy. They really are very middling writers

I used to go easy on them but writing in this episode really wasn't good at all.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it. I think some segments are some of the best i've seen.
Bit of fan-service and i think they want to give the actors a worthy goodbeye. I really enjoyed it in different ways.

Will have to look at the bluray version due to compression though (the dark bits suffer the most from that). Will be even better.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Once her fear (very childlike at that) left her and she made the realization of what she must do, she fucking booked it straight to him intent on delivering the killing blow. She got lucky and succeeded.

I don't get the need to have there be more history or foreshadowing towards that. Arya was going to be as effected with the Night King succeeding as anyone else would. He was the embodiment of death, and what do we say to the God of Death?

Before the episode started I was hoping that the heroes would have to retreat south with the Walkers on their toes, but partway through I realized that was not an option. It was either win or die. Jon and Dany made a difference, but in the end gave it their best shot and in the process almost lost it all. NK was careful to not leave himself vulnerable for the most part, pretty much the only chance the living had was somebody going on a suicide run one Arya did.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't speak for all of HBO's services, but HBO Nordic is one of, if not the, worst popular streaming service (that I've used) when it comes to image-quality. The compression kills detail, especially in dark scenes.
This episode will benefit from the BluRay release, as yes, as dark as it was definitely can create compression problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.