• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ok watched

While the episode was a great visual and technical achievement... The writing sucked, as usual. For example, what was the plan exactly? Why Bran was the bait but you put him in the center of your defenses? Why not in front and you spare a lot of lives? Who the fuck organized this fight? Combat 101: never charge with your cavalry unless they are heavily armed or you have spare cavalry. The Dothraki died for nothing plus they created fresh zombies. Somebody must have thought of that right? Nope.

Then Jon was useless, waiting for the NK and then doing not much. They should've thrown the dragons first thing and burn everything before the fight started. Then, maybe, there would've been the blizzard and they would've to retreat anyway but that would have been believable.

And of course the old "kill the queen bee and all the hive dies" trope. There was no other way out of that one with how badly planned the battle was.

Well no point kicking the dead horse, the episode is enjoyable but as usual if you scratch a little bit the thing falls apart, it's a bit sad.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Was really liking the episode up to where the Dragon tried to kill the Night King, knew they where going to do an ass pulled after that point and it just completely killed any suspense for me.
Some really fantastic shots throughout though.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Image quality was bad, mine was direct through my cable company and I just gave up watching the episode until it got darker outside. Changed the TV settings to "vibrant" mode which is absurdly bright.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I can't believe I'm saying this ..

but Ben Shapiro is right ..

Ben Shapiro is talking about a female character in a tv show and he is.......right?

tenor.gif

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't the actors contracts have a part to play in that? Not all of them wanted to do GOT forever and there's also the issue of the kids aging season after season.

Yeah, probably but I wasn't advocating the series go on forever. I prefer series that end when the story concludes naturally. I just think rushing the story to end it for the sake of ending it was a bad idea. Even just completing the final 2 seasons would have probably been enough, but at most 1 more would have fleshed everything out

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
I also think it was awesome of D&D to keep lyanna mormont in the show longer vs their initial plan of her having only one scene. i hope Bella Ramsey's career blossoms! she earned it and the send off vs the giant was great.

im not about to jump on the bandwagon in this thread and bitch about what was "wrong" with this episode. instead i want to point out the great things of what i was able to experience with this show. even that interview with sophie turner and dr phil was great. keep that shit coming. this is the last season of game of thrones and i want to enjoy every bit. this is probably the only show that has hooked into me like this.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, probably but I wasn't advocating the series go on forever. I prefer series that end when the story concludes naturally. I just think rushing the story to end it early was a bad idea. Even just completing the final 2 seasons would have probably been enough, but at most 1 more would have fleshed everything out

Yeah I agree.

They needed another season to tell the story they're trying to tell. I don't think there's an argument against it.

Oct 26, 2017
I think a lot of the complaining about Arya's training comes from us not seeing her progress to bad ass. They all wanted a level up montage.

She progressed from someone getting slapped silly poking the Hound in the chest with a rapier to someone being beaten around by a Terminator to someone killing a Terminator to someone making minced pie out of an entire house to someone outwitting Littlefinger and cutting his throat to someone getting some royal booty to someone Solid Snaking her way through an undead invasion.

Clearly getting the drop on NK makes her a Mary Sue. And yes, that word is trending on Twitter and yes that's why.

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
Hahaha the "Bran mask" idea would get just as much, if not more criticism. The Night King has his mark on Bran. Why would he fall for Arya in a mask?

At least Arya sneaking up on the WWs in the Godswood is foreshadowed by her sneaking up on Jon in the Godswood.
Plus Arya would have to kill Bran to wear his face, which just isn't going to happen with how central the 3ER is. That and the NK's mark make this a dumb idea.

I think any rational people are absolutely fine with Arya being the one to do it, she's the best character.

But a lot of criticism could have been averted if they just let the other main cast fight some WWs.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
did anyone else feel that there was almost zero tension at times

really disappointing given how well the last episode set up the battle.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Plus Arya would have to kill Bran to wear his face, which just isn't going to happen with how central the 3ER is. That and the NK's mark make this a dumb idea.

I think any rational people are absolutely fine with Arya being the one to do it, she's the best character.

But a lot of criticism could have been averted if they just let the other main cast fight some WWs.

Also having Bran do basically nothing for the entire episode is sloppy writing. Do something dude. Try to warg the NK's dragon or even the NK himself. Try and manipulate time to tip the scales of battle.

Something, anything big. Instead he just wargs into some ravens which doesn't seem to impact anything. This is the big moment for this character and he just does ... nothing, lol.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
I just wish it was a daytime battle with the snow storm making it slightly dark.

My complaint will always be that Jon was just doing nothing this episode. As a great turn, they should have had him try to 1v1 the NK only to be discarded (obviously not dead) and Arya to come in for the kill.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Another terrible episode. Show is going out with a whimper. Would have been nice to actually see what was going on but it wouldn't have mattered much because the writing and directing was so poor.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I just wish it was a daytime battle with the snow storm making it slightly dark.

My complaint will always be that Jon was just doing nothing this episode. As a great turn, they should have had him try to 1v1 the NK only to be discarded (obviously not dead) and Arya to come in for the kill.
There was no way Jon was getting to the NK though.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Hey, Jon did more than the 90% of other characters that were pinned against the wall most of the time.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017

Main problem with the battle was being able to control the pacing while balancing the amount of characters that needed coverage. Overall all I think they did fine. Probably could have cut out some of the Jon and Dany flying through the clouds bit.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Another terrible episode. Show is going out with a whimper. Would have been nice to actually see what was going on but it wouldn't have mattered much because the writing and directing was so poor.

"Show is going out with a whimper" as we have an hour and ahalf long battle that includes a dragon battle, the unsullied sacrficing themselves to cover a desperate retreat, a stealth scene, Jorah defends Dany to the death, and Arya stealth kills the Night King.

"whimper" lol

Brohenheim

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if hbo puts up songs from the episodes during the seasons or do I have to wait until the soundtrack comes out?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Haha.

People in 2019 might know better than people in a fantasy based medieval story?

Why don't the dragons provide air support for the ground troops? lol

Why weren't there real-time sitreps? This could have made for a safer and faster retreat?
Wait, the dragons were providing air support though. The blizzard just blockrd their vision.

Status
Not open for further replies.