• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The battle was great but the show runners showed again why the quality of the show dropped significantly after they deviated from the books (and are missing source material).

The fan service was just beyond...like Lyanna attacking and killing the Giant. At least we finally got rid of her. Also, barely any big characters died. The show runners seemingly don't have the guts to do it. Even Drogon came back after seemingly dying. So nice that he came right after everything ended and didn't even try to defend Dany at all.

BTW, what happened with Ghost? Dead after the first rush with the Dothraki?

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
I can't believe I'm saying this ..

but Ben Shapiro is right ..

93f.jpg

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just wish it was a daytime battle with the snow storm making it slightly dark.

My complaint will always be that Jon was just doing nothing this episode. As a great turn, they should have had him try to 1v1 the NK only to be discarded (obviously not dead) and Arya to come in for the kill.

Jon at least knocked the NK off his dragon I guess. Jaime, Brienne, Bran, basically do fuck all the entire episode though.
"Show is going out with a whimper" as we have an hour and ahalf long battle that includes a dragon battle, the unsullied sacrficing themselves to cover a desperate retreat, a stealth scene, Jorah defends Dany to the death, and Arya stealth kills the Night King.

"whimper" lol

When the villain they've built up for 8 years goes out like a chump in his first real battle ... I mean he didn't even last the full night, lol. "Long Night" my ass.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
We saw her FAIL at it for the majority of her time in Braavos.

She almost dies.

Then all of a sudden shes a master assassin.

I'm not buying into this Mary Sue bollocks. Just that the show is very poorly written.
She basically graduated assassin school after killing the Waif though. Ever since then she's been legit

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I just wish it was a daytime battle with the snow storm making it slightly dark.

My complaint will always be that Jon was just doing nothing this episode. As a great turn, they should have had him try to 1v1 the NK only to be discarded (obviously not dead) and Arya to come in for the kill.

Or- Have Jon die in the fight against him, with Arya delivering the final blow after the NK stabs Jon.

They're just too afraid to let this characters go at this point.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shapiro has to defend the Arya thing because one of their "rules for women characters" is "ok, they can be heroes, but only with long training sequences which are clearly shown to us".

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
D and D better knock the next 3 episodes out of the park. Focusing on political intrigue has always been their comfort zone, and now that the WWs are out of the way maybe the resolution to the conflict over the Iron throne will be much more satisfying

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
We saw her FAIL at it for the majority of her time in Braavos.
We saw her fail before she started to succeed it's almost like there's this thing called character progression.

Regardless of what people say about Arya, Show Jon snow will always be an absolute dullard.
Show Jon is the ultimate self insert which is why everyone always expects him to do the thing. It's satisfying as fuck when he succeeds but he succeeds and survives by failing upwards and was constantly guided by what's implied to be god.

Why didn't Jon help sam?
He was making a choice. Join a relentless battle or go fight the NK and end the battle, even if people die. He chose the latter.

Gigglepoo

Oct 25, 2017
...at the same time the book does shit like starting off strong in Dorne then the whole bit with sending his son or nephew to Meereen was awful. Lots of stuff in 5/6 were like that. Sansa in the Eyrie in her chapters made me want to gouge my eyes out. Tyrion at the circus, and so on.

Man, I love the Quynten chapters. Such an incredible look at the hero's journey from the perspective of someone who thinks he fits the bill but totally doesn't. To each his own, I guess.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
HBO Now looks better on my phone than PS Vue did last night on my 65". I think the service might have been part of the compression issue.

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
Also having Bran do basically nothing for the entire episode is sloppy writing. Do something dude. Try to warg the NK's dragon or even the NK himself. Try and manipulate time to tip the scales of battle.

Something, anything big. Instead he just wargs into some ravens which doesn't seem to impact anything. This is the big moment for this character and he just does ... nothing, lol.
I get the criticisms of Bran, but the mystery around him is basically his whole thing now. What the hell he was up to will become apparent at some point, but for now he's that creepy dude nobody understands (apart from maybe Tyrion)

Did want him to warg punished Rhaegal for sure though lol

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
did anyone else feel that there was almost zero tension at times

really disappointing given how well the last episode set up the battle.
Wrote this in the BoB vs BoW thread:

I think a big part of it is more "it is hard to maintain tension for an hour".

After a while, Battle of Winterfell was mostly just...exhausting and indulgent. I got a little mad last night because there was one segment near the end, when the NK is getting closer to Bran's position, where every...single...shot...was slow motion. It felt like a good couple minutes.

You can't maintain that level of tension, while simultaneously showing all major characters surviving (multiple times, thus drawing our attention multiple times to their plot armor and removing a sense of danger) and drawing everything out in slowmo when it is obvious, to everyone, that they are building up to a single moment to save just about everyone. Once every single main character was in imminent danger, it was clear they were going to survive, because we still have 3 episodes left.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
God, I hate this shit that happens when criticism appears these days. I like TLJ, but yet anytime someone criticizes Holdo's stupidity it immediately turns into "you're just being sexist."

Can we stop? Can people recognize that Arya leaping out of thin air to pounce the NK is something that can be cricizied and has nothing to do with her being a GURL. I'm fine with Arya dealing the blow. After all, Jon Snow has been plot armor Gary Sue this whole show. It's the way that scene played out and the way the whole WW threat resolved itself. You can love it all you want, but don't act like it can't be criticized.

Like, fuck I wish the showed leaned harder into Arya's assassin elements instead of giving her sudden plot powers. Arya beating Brienne in a duel those seasons back should have never happened. Brienne should wipe the floor with her. She's an assassin not a Warrior Knight. Arya having enough force to impale her obsidian spear through several wights is just face palm inducing. Arya sneaking through Winterfell library, even though it changes wights to dumb zombies for a moment, is way more indicative of her character and training.

This wasn't some brillant setup and execution that involved all of Arya's training and skills learned through the year. No, it was "ARAGHGHHAGHAHGHGHG, I'MA FLY AND STAB YOU IN THE BACK NIGHT KING!" Out of fucking nowhere. Whhhhhyyyyyy????

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
We saw her fail before she started to succeed it's almost like there's this thing called character progression.

There was no progression though? She failed, refused to kill someone and was punished.

She was hunted down, got stabbed in the open due to her hubris and won a fight when the conditions were in her favour.

Then cut to Westeros and she's an expert assassin, wiping out a whole house solo.

Gigglepoo

Oct 25, 2017
Trap--yes.
Bran warging--yes (because surely he can't be doing nothing or just flying with crows the whole time)
Communication--maybe, but mostly I was hoping for some actual interaction between the two to reveal NK's relationship to...anything?

D&D are excellent at subverting expectations. They made us think they were incredible plans yet to be revealed but in the end, it was as basic and straightforward as everything else they've come up with.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
"Show is going out with a whimper" as we have an hour and ahalf long battle that includes a dragon battle, the unsullied sacrficing themselves to cover a desperate retreat, a stealth scene, Jorah defends Dany to the death, and Arya stealth kills the Night King.

"whimper" lol

An hour and a half of nonsensical, muddled pish is what I just witnessed.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know, i dont think many have realized that the Night King dying was a shocking character death as a whole lot of people seemed to want and expect him to win given how disappointed people seem to be that so few of the big names didnt die. lol.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I get the criticisms of Bran, but the mystery around him is basically his whole thing now. What the hell he was up to will become apparent at some point, but for now he's that creepy dude nobody understands (apart from maybe Tyrion)

Did want him to warg punished Rhaegal for sure though lol

I honestly don't think D&D know what to do with this character at all. In general I don't think they like the more fantasy rooted stuff aside from Dany's dragons.

I mean give the character something to do that the audience can clearly see for crying out loud. This is his big moment as he's not going to give a crap about Westeros politicking.

zerosum

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm... Overall I found the episode to be satisfyingly tense and entertaining. I'm fine with the end results, but damned if getting there wasn't sloppy. Seems like a few tweaks here and there could've made it easier to suspend disbelief.

Also somewhat related. This is the first season I've streamed, as I've usually waited for the blu-rays, but boy is the IQ just not great. Horrible compression everywhere. It was tolerable in the first two episodes, but it made this last episode hard to watch.

Is it just an HBO NOW thing? Netflix/Hulu/Amazon have never been this bad.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
There were some amazing scenes in this episode. The insane ride to death of the Dothraki was totally worth it only for the scene with the lights going off one by one until total darkness takes over.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Wait, the dragons were providing air support though. The blizzard just blockrd their vision.
Their objective was the Night King, no providing air support for the ground forces. Dany went off mission after seeing her brothers in arms fall to the enemy. So she broke ranks, left Jon's wing and went to the line to lay down some covering fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.