• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
If I was paralyzed, I would spend all day warging into ravens. Hell, I wish I could that now! It's way better than watching everyone get slaughtered.
Still it would have been cool if he mindcontrolled a direwolf just to be helpful. The episode gave us no explanation for why he did it. He didn't provide any reconnaissance or intelligence, he did't help the resistance, and it wasn't necessary to help the Night King find him, as he always knows where Bran is.

They made it a focal point for us to see that he's going 3ER mode as the battle is set to begin, then...nothing until "you're a good man, thank you." Felt like something that would have explained this action was left on the cutting room floor.

Cersei is an amazing character. But she is also a piece of shit human being that deserves to be shoved off the nearest cliff with a swift kick to the ass.

Other examples of this are Joffery, Ramsey, and Tywin. All great characters. All of them can suck my ass.
*nods*

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not to mention all the times throughout the season and the last where he could have told characters what was actually going on and saved a lot of trouble (littlefinger in winterfell, Cersei lying about pledging her support etc.) but if he dies it'll be some tragedy? Please.

He was one of the most boring POVs to read in the books and the show Bran is even worse. I would have enjoyed him dying.

The Hodor origin was fucking great though.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Arya was the only one that could have gotten close to the NK. There are literally several seasons explaining why this is the case.

Jon is a good swordsman but it doesn't matter because there is zero reason the NK would ever get into a swordfight with him. And if all the "heroes" are gathered making some kind of attempt at going after the NK, him and his generals would be on high alert and Arya wouldn't be able to catch him by surprise. He lets his guard down for a moment because he thinks he's got it all on lockdown.

Almost no one has a "history" with the Night King. Jon wants to fight him but is foolishly thinking the Night King is a regular foe who he can defeat head-on with his sword. It was never going to happen.

That still could have been the point, at some point they realize they need to focus on getting to the night king and their efforts are in purpose of that, even if it's just an attempt that ultimately let Arya slip through as she breaks off. Then you can at least say they survived cause they were all together instead of one or two surviving in a mass of zombies inexplicably.

In terms of the history, people on the nights watch like Jon been directly fighting him for years, so more of a direct involvement in that end point would have been nice.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still it would have been cool if he mindcontrolled a direwolf just to be helpful. The episode gave us no explanation for why he did it. He didn't provide any reconnaissance or intelligence, he did't help the resistance, and it wasn't necessary to help the Night King find him, as he always knows where Bran is.

They made it a focal point for us to see that he's going 3ER mode as the battle is set to begin, then...nothing until "you're a good man, thank you." Felt like something that would have explained this action was left on the cutting room floor.
I dont know why people are jumping the gun with saying Bran didnt do shit because there are 3 episodes left for them to explain exactly what he has been doing while everyone was fighting. If they wanted to brush that off and not have people ask questions they wouldnt do 10 closeups of his face warging while everyone is dieing.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yes, I was expecting the crows to do something like attacking the NK on the dragon. Unfortunately, there are some loose ends.

Gravemind IV

Nov 26, 2017
Overall, loved the episode. But I am a sucker for undead armies.

That Dothraki charge, whose idea was that? Definitely a stroke of military genius!

Fucking blows that I got spoiled (how did she get past all the dead and WW bodyguards is beyond me though) on Arya killing the NK. Literally popped into my push messages after a YT update enabled them again.

So annoying to watch them get massacred, knowing that happens in the end and 'kinda' invalidates everything you're watching,

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish that Dany had ignored Tyrion's terrible advice last season. She could have bathed King's Landing in fire and blood and when she sat upon her burned throne, she would recoil in horror at the atrocities she had committed. Disgusted by her actions and searching for redemption, she would remember Jon Snow begging for help against the undead. Then she would take her dragons and army up north to fight for the realm in which she had caused so much pain and misery.

It just feels so out of order now. Rallying the beleaguered forces to fight another fight feels so hollow. One of the major themes was how stupid the people were fighting their wars when there was a real threat up north. But now that the threat is vanquished, they're just going to go back to wars? What's the point of this story? What is it trying to say?

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
So here's the actual important question......

....now that the White Walkers are defeated do we go back to the Season 1-7 version of the intro?

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
GbvOeSU.gif

lMyVJeA.gif

4IILMeD.gif

Qb4VIuV.gif

niTP07Y.gif

Rl7Wpju.gif

yVQCu2h.gif

IHUB1Mm.gif

JnXcVsD.gif

sL9zDkh.gif

2PipRaY.gif

MEH1Nlb.gif

6vcmXgW.gif

Ap4ctMT.gif

TcJ0N7K.gif

HdfTolR.gif

wlnV5nn.gif

4IbOEML.gif

Absolutely breathtaking cinematography. Fuck the haters

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Because he didn't have time. That was supposed to be one of the big moments that would stick with you. We've seen Jon always go out of his way to help Sam over the seasons. This time it was hell on earth, for all the marbles. There was no time. He had to find the NK of *everything* was going to end. He felt the impending loss of Sam, but the big picture forced him to push on.

It was a wonderful moment.

I caught that too and said it outloud to my wife. It showed just how insane the situation was for even Jon to go into full 'Win at all costs' mode.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I disagree a little bit.
Ramsey was a crazy guy,she's not.

When she was told that the army of the dead had toppled the only real defense they had against them she responded with "good". She also nuked half of Kings Landing with wildfire rather than lose the power she had gained.

Cersei is out of her mind as well.

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
What was the point of mining all the dragon glass? You don't need them to kill a white (and I'm pretty sure they aren't any more effective than normal swords). They were good against White Walkers, but no one fought any except Arya, who used Valyrian Steel.

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Cersei is an amazing character. But she is also a piece of shit human being that deserves to be shoved off the nearest cliff with a swift kick to the ass.

Other examples of this are Joffery, Ramsey, and Tywin. All great characters. All of them can suck my ass.

Honestly this is one of my biggest problems now - I don't really think Cersei is a great character anymore. I realize I'm in the minority here, but I just cannot find interest in her scene's like I used to.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Yep. He did a ton of work. Well, his dragon did. And as you said, delaying the NK and helping slay some wights the old fashioned way.

Ultimately he did what he could just like everyone else, which is to say not very much on his own. The reality is he isn't a superhero and the episode did a great job of reminding everyone of that. Hordes > any individual character. He was lucky to have survived, as was everyone else that made it.

Everyone that made it *barely* made it, and RIP to the other 85% of the standing army. I'm very curious to see how many Dothraki and Unsullied remain.
This was truly a time where everyone was united in their purpose to survive and every little bit counted.

God, I hate this shit that happens when criticism appears these days. I like TLJ, but yet anytime someone criticizes Holdo's stupidity it immediately turns into "you're just being sexist.
Because the reasons people call Holdo stupid are rooted in sexism because there's no way to spin her actions as wrong without literally being an example of what mansplaining looks like.

It's always good for people to self reflect and examine the reasons why they're trying so hard to make criticisms in the first place. I know your reasons are similar to TLJ where there wasn't enough lore exposition and much simpler explanations for a threat.

Like, fuck I wish the showed leaned harder into Arya's assassin elements instead of giving her sudden plot powers. Arya beating Brienne in a duel those seasons back should have never happened. Brienne should wipe the floor with her. She's an assassin not a Warrior Knight.
A reminder that during her assassin training we saw her tank a punch in the gut from this man. Something that should've knocked her out or at least had lasting damage.
9b6a4b89_Meryn-Trant.jpg

Thing about Arya is that she spent years doing BOTH, training and sword fighting like a water dancer and training to be an assassin, and lo and behold her fighting style is literally a combination of those two things. There is literally no rule that states it's supposed to be one of the other. She's an agile as fuck fighter and very good assassin.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Did Theon needed to die to buy the time for Arya or did he did he for nothing because of the buff given by Bran's words?
I haven't gone back to rewatch the scene... Was the timing such that the NK only had one hand free when he turned around to grab Arya? Maybe Bran saw what was unfolding and gave Theon what he needed so that it played out just like that?

At first glance I thought it was just Bran telling Theon what he'd needed to hear pretty much his whole life, so he could at least die with some amount of peace.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I think we'll get a return to the schism between Dany and Sansa now. I'll be very interested in how that plays out but I think the North will become it's own sovereign kingdom by the end unless of course Sansa gets on the Throne somehow.
Doesn't the raven warg feel like it was suppose to lead to something that got cut but they left that part in? It literally goes nowhere. He could have warged into Ghost and actually helped, or warged into one of the dragons, but nope.
It leads to the first reveal of the Night King.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Edd got screwed. The guy who was just trying to do his duty to the Nights Watch and constantly told everyone to burn his body became a walker anyway in the ennd just because Sam's dumb ass decided to fight instead of stay in the crypts where he belonged.
Not just a guy. Lord Commander Eddison Tollett.

His death was some weak shit.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Why have a character say "we have until dawn" then make the whole fucking battle at night ?
It differentiates the battle stylistically from a lot of the other battles of the show. All the other nighttime battles are better lit. We haven't had one in such complete darkness. It works well considering the characters are fighting death itself.

Rackham

Oct 25, 2017
Edd got screwed. The guy who was just trying to do his duty to the Nights Watch and constantly told everyone to burn his body became a walker anyway in the ennd just because Sam's dumb ass decided to fight instead of stay in the crypts where he belonged.

Hell if he had stayed there then alot more people might have lived.
Then we'd lose Tyrion and Varys
Dany better lay a fedora on Jorah's grave after this.
Underrated comment

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Meh. You don't introduce prophecies and develop them in great lore detail only to do absolutely nothing with them...

I guess the prophecy will only show up in the books.
Though I would think Arya will also deliver the killing blow in the books, the show runners knew about it for 3 years according to the making off and she is an assassin. Maybe the one that was promised will die like a martyr (like Jesus died for the people).

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sigh. Jorah and Theon were important characters.

It feels like... You're trying so hard to defend the show that you're not making salient points.

Jorah and Theon are no longer important to the flow of the story. Arguably, Jorah should have died after he delivered Tyrion to Dany from greyscale. Instead, they kept him around for his death yesterday... Not the worst way to go out, but ya know.

And Theon's last stand was satisfying, but he is far from a major or important character at this point. He also served nothing as far as the overall plot is concerned.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Because the reasons people call Holdo stupid are rooted in sexism because there's no way to spin her actions as wrong without literally being an example of what mansplaining looks like.
I don't mean to derail this into a Star Wars discussion but good lord there are criticisms of Holdo's character that aren't rooted in sexism.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Because he didn't have time. That was supposed to be one of the big moments that would stick with you. We've seen Jon always go out of his way to help Sam over the seasons. This time it was hell on earth, for all the marbles. There was no time. He had to find the NK of *everything* was going to end. He felt the impending loss of Sam, but the big picture forced him to push on.

It was a wonderful moment.
And then Jon ends up doing nothing for the rest of the episode.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't gone back to rewatch the scene... Was the timing such that the NK only had one hand free when he turned around to grab Arya? Maybe Bran saw what was unfolding and gave Theon what he needed so that it played out just like that?
The NK grabbed Arya's neck and hand.

And then Jon ends up doing nothing for the rest of the episode.
That still doesn't invalidate his choice to try and go end things. Even up until the very end he was still trying.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I dont know why people are jumping the gun with saying Bran didnt do shit
because he literally didn't do shit. lol.

He didn't go find some backup, he didn't provide any recon, and 3ER mode was surely not required for something Cersei related. Even if it was, it wasn't necessary in that fuckin moment. c'mon son.

Yes, I was expecting the crows to do something like attacking the NK on the dragon. Unfortunately, there are some loose ends.
agree.

Oct 26, 2017
Yet we never EVER see those same fucking nerds call male characters mary sues or gary stus when they achieve the impossible or do anything significant in a plot even when it's unearned.

Ymmv, but when I read 'Mary Sues', I usually think in perfect male heroes from trashy animes like the main characters of Mahouka or SAO that are done so viewers can self-insert as them. They are memes about them about how stupidly good they are. You can go to the anime thread to see they are mostly hated by the community. There are a few like them in fantasy and scifi novels too, all powerful heroes that also are loved by chicks, all very a nerd dream.

If we limit ourselves to popular characters, the first that comes to my mind are characters like James Bond or Batman?

Again, ymmv.

Status
Not open for further replies.