• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Violater

Nov 19, 2017
used to be a real term to use for a character that does things they shouldn't be capable of easily and with very little effort on their part. But now its been adopted by sexist dirtbags who get butthurt when a female character does anything they don't like. Its completely ruined the term.

Yikes, thanks for the background info.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
tgToHp0.gif

Glorious.

Plum

May 31, 2018
My issue with Cersei being the final boss is that in the grand scheme of things she's just as one-dimensional a villain at this point as the Night King. There ain't no negotiating with her, there's no room for any major twists or changes in character, so it's really just a matter of killing her and taking the Iron Throne.

What's wrong with that? And Sam is not a fan favorite, IMO. Very few give much of a shit for him anymore, but I love him.

Some characters shouldn't be killed. It wouldn't be a shock, it would just piss off.

That they're too scared to even kill any of the 'meme' characters because people like them and is a good example of the issue I have with the show right now. It's not like 'pissing people off' would have any major ramifications to the viewing figures; Episodes 4, 5 and 6 are going to get a billion viewers each no matter what.

There's just no sense that they're doing anything for any reason but to please the most basic desires for 'cool moments' and that's just not what got me into the show in the first place.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
I really think Cersei would blow up all of kings landing before she anything else. Like nuke it all.

On a side note, it is really funny to look back that a week ago we didn't even think the NK was going to be at winterfell.

Sully

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how one can blame Jon for leaving Sam behind.
The stakes were too high, Jon had to reach Bran before the Night King.

Sam would understand this.
That's how I saw it as well, it really sold how desperately the situation was he couldn't stop to save his best friend(who should be dead) and then he still couldn't make it to the forest, really good misdirection keeping us focused on John's movements

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Incredible episode. One of my favorite battle scenes ever. Goose bumps all the way.

I'm wondering though... the move where Arya dropped the dagger into her right hand; had that particular move occured in a previous episode? I felt like I'd seen it somewhere before. Maybe a different movie, if not in GoT?
Pretty common, as mentioned Arya does it with Brieenne but I also recall seeing it in a couple of movies.

The Hunted w/ Benicio Del Toro and Tommy Lee Jones comes to mind.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
to both of you. bullshit. First of all people like you or the people i quoted have been complaining about plot armor since like season 1. So yes not killing off your shows favorite characters over 7 seasons is kind of important.
Ned was never truly a main character, obviously.

Yes. The POV character for basically the entire first season was not the main character... Stopped reading here, appreciate you saving me some time.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how one can blame Jon for leaving Sam behind.
The stakes were too high, Jon had to reach Bran before the Night King.

Sam would understand this.

We all know what Jon thinks of Sam. Along with the fact that the dead were out numbing everyone 10000 to 1 probably, in that situation JS just had one thing in mind, and that was to get to the NK and Bran.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's fair to be a bit upset when the white walkers do seem like the biggest threat in the show. I feel like the entire series sets that up from Episode 1. There is something beyond the wall. Something ancient and menacing and it is coming.

Meanwhile everyone is squabbling over the throne like idiots.

But it was resolved a little too cleanly to set up a pretty standard medieval battle again.

Now, anything can still change. Bran is still in the picture despite his purpose being more or less served. Sam is alive and his purpose was served. There was some reason Bran warged for as long as he did. I get the initial warging was to reveal the night king, but he stayed warged for long into the battle. Ravens are meant to be messengers.

Tyrion sat down to talk with Bran and it cut off screen. There should be some bigger payoff there. Especially after all the "tyrion ur so smart" lines.

I can't see this being resolved in a simple army vs army fight.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely breathtaking cinematography. Fuck the haters
It's great, and really adds to the mood. If you're trying to play up the unknown, the fear of facing darkness and death, using some real darkness like this is fantastic.

Barely anybody does real "night for night" lighting like this. Davis Lynch is someone else who uses it very effectively. People are too used to nighttime in tv and movies having a bunch of blue lights making everything very clear and visible.

Qronicle

Oct 27, 2017
Belgium
Just seen the episode... not sure how I feel about it, but I sure expected a different ending.
When Jon was surrounded after his run on the NK and Dany saved him with the dragonfire, I thought they would discover Jon had fire resistance+2 equipped as well, and then Jon would follow the NK in a sea of fire, resulting in the final showdown.

Instead we got many more minutes of people defeating all odds and ninja Arya with no buildup whatsoever.

The scene with the dragons above the clouds will become my new desktop background when I find it in high quality though, AMAZING shot.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That they're too scared to even kill any of the 'meme' characters because people like them and is a good example of the issue I have with the show right now. It's not like 'pissing people off' would have any major ramifications to the viewing figures; Episodes 4, 5 and 6 are going to get a billion viewers each no matter what.

There's just no sense that they're doing anything for any reason but to please the most basic desires for 'cool moments' and that's just not what got me into the show in the first place.
I mean, they didn't even get cool moments. They were pinned and swarmed by zombies and somehow living anyway.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
How the hell would Littlefinger fake his death?

If anything, Arya might take his face and try to get into Kingslanding. So Aidan Gillen might apoear, but it wont be LF.

Plum

May 31, 2018
considering that the main job of HBO is to make money, producing unprofitable shows is unlikely to keep new shows coming.
for all of you name one show not named CSI or Law Order bullshit that replaced or killed off well loved main characters and continued success?

EDIT: (Yes of course Jon Snow was revived but the vast majority of people wouldn't have known that at the time)

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
This show really needs to stop with the "out of nowhere" moments.

Arya killing NK can at least be justified since she is an assassin (Altought it would've been cool if this had been planned by the characters or if there was some sort of build) but Jorah suddenly appearing to save Dany was ridiculous. And Danny had just swooped in to save Jon as well. And that dude saved Sam like that as well in the beggining. It's just not interesting writing or action, specially when it doesn't make spatial sense.

This episode really under-delivered for me. I was expecting something (anything) to pay off this entire thing but a stab out of nowhere in the last 5 minutes was the pay off. It almost seemed rush in how they executed it.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
You have to wonder what it's like north of the wall - it's essentially going to be depopulated now with nobody living there and no existential threat from White Walkers.

Probably the safest place to be - winter aside.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not just that, but he's continually referenced over and over and over and over again throughout the entirety of the show. Ned was obviously a main character.

If this were a normal fantasy drama, he would still be the main character today. I don't even know how it can be questioned... The entire first season literally revolved around his actions and whereabouts. Martin even said he was the main character himself on 60 Minutes a few days ago.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Incredible episode. One of my favorite battle scenes ever. Goose bumps all the way.

I'm wondering though... the move where Arya dropped the dagger into her right hand; had that particular move occured in a previous episode? I felt like I'd seen it somewhere before. Maybe a different movie, if not in GoT?

1520434009-ezgifcom-optimize-3.gif

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
This show really needs to stop with the "out of nowhere" moments.

Arya killing NK can at least be justified since she is an assassin (Altought it would've been cool if this had been planned by the characters or if there was some sort of build) but Jorah suddenly appearing to save Dany was ridiculous. And Danny had just swooped in to save Jon as well. And that dude saved Sam like that as well in the beggining. It's just not interesting writing or action, specially when it doesn't make spatial sense.

This episode really under-delivered for me. I was expecting something (anything) to pay off this entire thing but a stab out of nowhere in the last 5 minutes was the pay off. It almost seemed rush in how they executed it.

I think we did see Jorah rush off, presumably to save Dany.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
After this past week pls lord let me never read the terms "Deus Ex Machina", " Fan service", and " Plot armor" ever again. Thank you.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
After this past week pls lord let me never read the terms "Deus Ex Machina", " Fan service", and " Plot armor" ever again. Thank you.
Like i said, playing DnD with Era members would literally be the most boring shit ever based on some of the posts here. It's like the word "tension" doesn't exist and every decision should be perfectly logical thus leading to no conflict OR the conflict should be resolved in the most predictable way possible which is also something they complain about. It's just noise.

Why not give her some cool fire blade effect for her Valyrian dagger or glamour her.
Because she literally doesn't need it?

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Me and my friends used to often wonder who would kill the NK in the end. And honestly a few us were sure it would be Arya.

Jon or Dany seemed too predictable. Whereas with where Arya's story was going we felt this might be her destiny eventually.

The episode pretty much foreshadowed the scene, but then I forgot it had.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I love that Arya was the one who did it. There was foreshadowing from the moments she started training in S1, learning to be sneaky enough to catch a cat, etc. Of all decisions, I think this makes the most sense

They weren't foreshadowing anything from season 1. Benioff and Weiss just said they decided on Arya killing the NK as late as season 6 because Jon Snow was too obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.