• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
I loved this episode. I started reading the books back in the mid 2000's, so I've been waiting over a decade to get a conclusion to this series. And given the fact that Martin feels no compulsion to finish the books I am so damn grateful that the TV show exists and has become so popular.

A decade plus of buildup is all coming down to the next few weeks. I haven't had this feeling of excited anticipation since the Lord of the Rings movies and I am cherishing every moment.

I know that the theme of this series is to reflect the bittersweet realities of life and subvert what has normally been a genre rife with happy endings. So I expect some more heartbreaking moments, but I hope that characters whose story arc has been mostly bitter; such as Tyrion, Bran, Jon, and Arya get somewhat of a happy ending.

Tyrion and Bran especially have had a rough life. I don't want Bran to forever be an emotionless wizard with no trace of who he was left. I hope he can somehow be freed from his burden of being the 3-Eyed Raven and get a chance to actually live his life. And we all know about Tyrion, he deserves to find happiness, so I hope he lives and the show/story ends with him having a chance to find it.

Also, Arya is totally going to be pivotal in the confrontation with the Night King. She was outfitted with both a Valyrian and Dragonglass weapon for a reason. She'll be right there with Theon to defend her brother in the God's Wood.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
Maybe I'm wrong, but I swear I remember something being brought up in a prior season about Ned's remains being sent back to Winterfell. I can't remember the specifics, but I thought I remembered that happening at some point in the past.

If mention of Ned's remains being shipped back to WF shows up in the "previously on" segment before next week's episode, I'm turning my TV off.

(not really)

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I'm actually thinking the Lord of Light story is going to end up being fairly important. I don't think they would have this character pulled through all the way from the beginning to the end for no reason. He has no purpose right now and is tied to no characters. The only character that is related at this point is Melisandre and I think she's coming back.

He's tied to the Hound

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I also think all of Dany's consults, outside of Tyrion, are going to bite the dust in episode 3 to further set up Dany going Mad Queen.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Last night's episode was a lot of fun. I don't care how pandering it got. It really helped to emphasize how enjoyable/likable some characters are... right before a bunch of them die. Bless the schlock.

I really want Brienne and Tormund to make it but man, I'm super nervous for both next week. Both seemed to get a final victory lap. At least Tormund has one thing working for him in that he's, like, the last of the Wildlings at this point so he may stick around just to represent that contingent. But Brienne... I feel like they have nowhere else to go but give her one final hero moment.

Dude from the Wall who's not Jon or Sam is done because who cares. Sam is a coin flip, but I think he lives and Gilly (and possibly even lil Sam) are done. Morbid af, but they're hiding in the crypts... with, you know, dead people. Thinking shit goes down and Sam is due for heartbreak while trying to be a hero.

Jorah is done. Got his moment with his cousin and endorsed Tyrion. I'm honestly shocked he made it as far as he did. Dude was one of my favs for a while (when he wasn't acting like Captain Friendzone) and about the only thing that got me through a bunch of insufferable Daenerys stuff.

Davos is... I dunno. Love Davos. One of the most consistently great characters in the series. That Shireen moment makes me more nervous than anything.

I don't know how you get more out of Podrick. Likely done. His little moment with Tyrion was the funniest moment of the episode, though.

Theon... done. Dude has had so many redemption runs.

He didn't get much of anything, but I could see Beric biting it because I don't know what else you do with him besides sneaking in more "lord of light" stuff just cuz. Then again, whatever they do on that end can be handled by Melisandre because they name dropped her this episode making a return of some sort likely. So yeah... I guess it's goodbye, Beric.

Another dragon is done. Because we better fucking get dragon vs. dragon battle with a corny shot of ice and fire breath blasting at each other. One dragon needs to survive to make it to King's Landing... and then probably eat shit.

Starks/Lannisters are all safe. (well, I could see Bran being the key to defeating the Night King by way of some weird ass mental self sacrifice shit) As is Daenerys. And Gendry. Anyone with the slightest claim to the throne will make it to keep everyone guessing until the end. Also, Jamie and Tyrion still need to meet up with Bronn so he can do the right thing and go against his mercenary ways. I love Bronn, but he's destined to die defending Jamie and/or Tyrion. Likely fodder for the Mountain before he goes up against The Hound. (and they'll likely take each other out)

Final note: glad everyone's jumping aboard the "Daenerys is the worst" train. I've been on it since Qarth.

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting Beric to die his final death w/o further explanations just like how Benjen was killed off abruptly before he could explain anything either.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely think we're going to see the whole 'Lord of Light' and 'Prince who was promised' stuff get closure. Melisandre was in all of the previews and we still have 5 hours or so of content left.
I could see that becoming a story focus in episode 4 or 5 if things start to transition away from the walkers and to the race for the iron throne. Beric specifically I feel like isn't needed as a character any more though. I sort of felt like his main purpose at this point was to basically guide The Hound through the White Walker crisis and ultimately lead him to Winterfell and put The Hound on a collision course with The Mountain. I think you can do the Lord of Light/Prince stuff without him.

Oct 27, 2017
To me, Beric is the perfect candidate for a character that is prominent but purposefully not signaled to be important. We aren't meant to consider him for any major story beat. So when it happens it's a surprise. I can see him being moved from the back to the front very easily.

Also he's just a cool character and I don't want him to die :(

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a secret passage in/out of Winterfell somewhere? My memory wants to say that's how Bran escaped initially when Theon took over.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
It's such a nice image. Him as the head of House Tarly, with his super sweet sister and mom, Gilly and little sam. It's like 90's sitcom-level of loveable family and so antithetic to how Westeros usually is.

STOP MAKING ME WANT THINGS I KNOW I CAN'T HAVE

giphy.gif

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
I'm sure someone's said it already, but this episode felt like point in a game where it warns you to finish your side quests or whatever, because there's no going back.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I also think all of Dany's consults, outside of Tyrion, are going to bite the dust in episode 3 to further set up Dany going Mad Queen.

What was interesting (and a great payoff) was that Jorah is the only one there who actually seems to get her, because he's been a victim of her blinding rage before. If he's gone then really no one else on her team has the balls to hold her back.

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
how many miles is brandons wall? like how tf was that made? if theree was some crazy stuff about a tunnel, i would not be surprised.
Sam said in an episode that it was 500 miles long. It's also 700ft tall.

If this ice wall can exist. So can a massive tunnel system.

That being said, it would still be a strange thing to introduce at this point.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
What was interesting (and a great payoff) was that Jorah is the only one there who actually seems to get her, because he's been a victim of her blinding rage before. If he's gone then really no one else on her team has the balls to hold her back.
Yeah, Tyrion clearly can't keep Dany in check and if Jorah is gone then there's really nothing stopping her from going off

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
It's getting harder and harder to defend this shit script... these two episodes are among the worst I've watched from this series...

Jun 12, 2018
I'm pretty sure yall have already talked about this but in case yall didnt...arya getting it in with Gendry all but confirms that she's gonna survive right? Considering she's probably going to end up pregnant to prolong the Barratheon name in case of spin-offs/sequels/etc?

TheRagnCajun

Oct 29, 2017
I would be surprised if the night king is defeated in the winterfell battle. It would be anti-climatic to finish that arc and then have 3 episodes left for the iron throne. My best guess is that the living lose that battle and retreat. The show is setting up that Tyrion is finally going to outwit his sister for once. Perhaps Cersi is dethroned first by some plan of Tyrion's, and then there is one final battle for the finale living vs. the dead.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'm pretty sure yall have already talked about this but in case yall didnt...arya getting it in with Gendry all but confirms that she's gonna survive right? Considering she's probably going to end up pregnant to prolong the Barratheon name in case of spin-offs/sequels/etc?

1) Someone doing the horizontal mambo can prove their death as well as their surviving when it comes to shows and movies.

2) There is zero. And I mean ZERO chance of a sequel. Prequels? Yes. Sequels? Not a chance.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Have you ever watched a slasher movie? If anything, Arya getting some sex makes her more likely to die.

Status
Not open for further replies.