• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
My opinion on Stannis is that there's this legend built up about him being a genius military commander, but once he goes up against an actual opposition vs. outlasting a siege, he's really finally exposed as a fraud. It's why he had to resort to magic to kill his brother, along with the other kings. He tries this trick one last time by burning Shireen, because frankly, he really actually kind of sucks.

Will the "ten good men" wreck his camp in the books? Yeah, I kinda think something similar might happen. Stannis is out of his element, even with the mountain clans and assortment of northerners he picked up on the way there.

It's very similar to how Tyrion is built up as the cleverest of all the Lannisters, like Lann the Clever... but when he actually goes up against his brother and sister they mop the floor with him.
What about him in the greyjoy rebellion?

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, that's not why he's worse.

Book Stannis has to be convinced to burn his nephew.

Show Stannis has to be convinced not to burn him.

And then there's how they take Renly's death.

Book Stannis is torn up about it and Show Stannis is pretty casual about it.

Yeah, they just seriously fucked up Stannis in the show. In the show after Davos reads the Nights Watch letter, Stannis still wants to burn and only stops because Melisandre tells him to. In the books he actually praises Davos for reminded him of his duty, and we get the whole "Saving the kingdom to win the throne" deal. Completely missing in the show where Stannis is just a prick.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
My opinion on Stannis is that there's this legend built up about him being a genius military commander, but once he goes up against an actual opposition vs. outlasting a siege, he's really finally exposed as a fraud. It's why he had to resort to magic to kill his brother, along with the other kings. He tries this trick one last time by burning Shireen, because frankly, he really actually kind of sucks.

Will the "ten good men" wreck his camp in the books? Yeah, I kinda think something similar might happen. Stannis is out of his element, even with the mountain clans and assortment of northerners he picked up on the way there.

It's very similar to how Tyrion is built up as the cleverest of all the Lannisters, like Lann the Clever... but when he actually goes up against his brother and sister they mop the floor with him.
You are seriously misreading the character. In the books the subversion with the character is he's not as brittle and unbending as people perceive him to be, he's been shown to be a very practical thinker especially once he saves the nights watch. Stannis is completely in his element in the upcoming battle, the Boltons are going to be tricked to come out into the lake he's been encouraging his men to fish on and drown them all. He has multiple victories both in the show and the books that demonstrate how good he is (greyjoy rebellion against victarion, keeping storms end etc) . In the show he didn't get the wildling to fight with him. He actually killed mance raider rather than using him, and doesn't have the Manderley's about to turn on the boltons etc, which is how the show justified him losing and giving his battle to Jon Snow.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't it obvious that Bran will just let it slide a la "I'm not bran anymore" or even "I wouldn't have those powers if you didn't push me" yadda yadda so he'll forgive Jaime and tell people who want to mount his head on a pike to fuck off ?

Severance

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of the books, I keep coming back to one last character showing up that we haven't seen yet. I'll spoiler this just in case show only people want to avoid a potential twist.
i think there's a real possibility "Harry Strickland" reveals himself to be Aegon. I finished Dance with Dragons recently and Harry is rather unassuming, middle aged and balding. Then again current Harry isn't exactly full on Targaryen looking, so I have my doubts.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
I
Speaking of the books, I keep coming back to one last character showing up that we haven't seen yet. I'll spoiler this just in case show only people want to avoid a potential twist.
i think there's a real possibility "Harry Strickland" reveals himself to be Aegon. I finished Dance with Dragons recently and Harry is rather unassuming, middle aged and balding. Then again current Harry isn't exactly full on Targaryen looking, so I have my doubts.
I doubt it because they have Jon the name Ageon

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
Been rewatching a bunch of early thrones...why are all the Lannisters no longer golden haired now? Jamie, Cersei, Tyrion - all brown haired. Did the show just decide not to bother keeping them blonde anymore?

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
So don't know if this has been brought up in this giant thread, but I was reminded of it via AVClub and rewatch - Dany has the loyalty of the Lord of Light fanatics, and Mellisandre went east at the end of S7 but said that she had to die in Westeros. Seems pretty likely we're going to see a giant army of loyal fanatics show up in Westeros to help fight the White Walkers. I guess it'll be a bonus if they're all good with fire.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't it obvious that Bran will just let it slide a la "I'm not bran anymore" or even "I wouldn't have those powers if you didn't push me" yadda yadda so he'll forgive Jaime and tell people who want to mount his head on a pike to fuck off ?
Seems like some fate type stuff he has already realized. I fully expect him to sit silently and say one or two cryptic things while everyone wants Jaime's throat though. Hope I'm wrong and he tells everyone to stfu.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a big upgrade

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I

I doubt it because they have Jon the name Ageon

That's not a good reason, for all we know it would be the same in the books.

But yeah I have been harping about the GC leader stealing Jon's real name out of convenience and taking the throne, marrying Sansa. Nice to see I'm not the only one:)

Varys is sick of Jon and Dany. If he starts to turn to Sansa...

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I doubt they bring fAegon in this late, but if they do, I think he'd more likely be JonConn than Aegon.
I'd be shocked if Jon isn't named Aegon in the books. It would be kind've poetic if the real Aegon Targaryen was thought to be a bastard, and someone pretending to be Aegon Targaryen was a Blackfyre(bastard Targaryens)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Harry looks way, way too old for that. It's not happening. He looks more like Jaime than anything else.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Another show review and some theme analysis from a self described "book wanker" Ozzyman. NSFW language. He's less cynical and more just funny about the episode.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018

But yeah I have been harping about the GC leader stealing Jon's real name out of convenience and taking the throne, marrying Sansa. Nice to see I'm not the only one:)

Varys is sick of Jon and Dany. If he starts to turn to Sansa...
This is a show that thought the audience was too dumb to know asha is a different name than osha. They aren't going to call Jon aegon, then introduce someone with the same name. There's zero chance of it happening

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
It's much too late to introduce fAegon. We have 5 more episodes to go, that's too late to introduce big characters like that.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
cersei's redemption arc begins with the revelation that the twins were separated at birth so there really was no incest.

I DO think the Harry actor was chosen on purpose and then made to cut his hair similarly to early Jaime, at least.

I just don't think he could reasonably pass for someone who would be the same age as Jon.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I doubt they bring fAegon in this late, but if they do, I think he'd more likely be JonConn than Aegon.

I'd be shocked if Jon isn't named Aegon in the books. It would be kind've poetic if the real Aegon Targaryen was thought to be a bastard, and someone pretending to be Aegon Targaryen was a Blackfyre(bastard Targaryens)

That's the plot of the two Johns in The Accursed Kings, check the wiki if you haven't read the books. That's where I feel the story is going, with Jon's reputation ruined, his good deeds going to Aegon's benefit.

I keep posting this quote from the books about this:

Tyrion Lannister had claimed that most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it, but Jon was done with denials. He was who he was; Jon Snow, bastard and oathbreaker, motherless, friendless, and damned. For the rest of his life—however long that might be—he would be condemned to be an outsider, the silent man standing in the shadows who dares not speak his true name. Wherever he might go throughout the Seven Kingdoms, he would need to live a lie, lest every man's hand be raised against him.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That's the plot of the two Johns in The Accursed Kings, check the wiki if you haven't read the books. That's where I feel the story is going, with Jon's reputation ruined, his good deeds going to Aegon's benefit.

I keep posting this quote from the books about this:

Yes, and that quote still remains only in the books. And is symbolic of a different arc than the one Show Jon went through.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is a show that thought the audience was too dumb to know asha is a different name than osha. They aren't going to call Jon aegon, then introduce someone with the same name. There's zero chance of it happening

But there is already two Aegons in the show. Oberyn was all about avenging his sister and her children.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
But there is already two Aegons in the show. Oberyn was all about avenging his sister and her children.

To the best of my knowledge Oberyn never says their names. And even if he did if you asked a thousand viewers about them I am willing to bet 99% of them could not name the children.

You are pointlessly reaching. Again. I don't understand why you do this to yourself. Its embarrassing.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I cannot believe that with five episodes left we are still discussing the possibility of Aegon Targaryen appearing in the show

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
To the best of my knowledge Oberyn never says their names. And even if he did if you asked a thousand viewers about them I am willing to bet 99% of them could not name the children.

You are pointlessly reaching. Again. I don't understand why you do this to yourself. Its embarrassing.

Ha, but the thing is none of this matters since I think the GC leader STEALS Jon's true name.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Ha, but the thing is none of this matters since I think the GC leader STEALS Jon's true name.

Harry looks nothing like a Targaryen. His eyes aren't purple, his hair is regular blonde. People would much easier believe Jon as a Targ bastard of a Stark that can ride a dragon compared to a man in his mid-forties who looks exactly like a Lannister and works for the Lannisters and their cartoonishly corrupt queen.

Young Griff, on the other hand, DOES look like a Targ. This is why anyone is even willing to believe him in the first place.

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot believe that with five episodes left we are still discussing the possibility of Aegon Targaryen appearing in the show
Lmfao, right? fAegon's a no show people. Forget about it.
The Golden company are here and Jon Connington is nowhere to be seen, Harry Strickland is just some generic commander who'll probably get burned or w/e.
In the grand scheme of things fAegon wasn't going to be important for the conclusion anyway. At least I believe so.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We all know it isn't going to happen, but are desperate for something to have characters like Varys make sense. Removing Aegon was probably the worst decision D&D made, putting Cersei on the throne instead what I assume will be Aegon in the books also made no ducking sense. I feel like most of the stupid from season 5 to now is a direct result of this decision.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Harry looks nothing like a Targaryen. His eyes aren't purple, his hair is regular blonde. People would much easier believe Jon as a Targ bastard of a Stark that can ride a dragon compared to a man who looks exactly like a Lannister and works for the Lannisters and their cartoonishly corrupt queen.

Young Griff, on the other hand, DOES look like a Targ. This is why anyone is even willing to believe him in the first place.

Jon looks even less like one. Aegon is supposed to be half Dornish. If people can believe Ned's bastard who is supporting mad Dany suddenly turns out to be Aegon Targaryen (an usurper's name since he is not claiming to be the other Aegon), that Rhaegar was actually married to Lyanna which they have no proof of and which the maesters will never provide, then yeah, maybe he has a chance.

He doesn't:)

Harry has, if he claims to be Aegon (the only one people know of), the "right family name, and a powerful army", which is what Varys said was needed to rule.

Olenna also said, when speaking of Sansa with Varys and Varys was telling her LF was trying to get himself a powerful army:
Varys: "You are not the only one who has taken an interest in her."
Olenna: "That's hardly surprising. She is a beautiful girl with a famous name."
Varys: "Indeed, she'd make a lovely match for the right suitor."

Varys and the GC leader as a couple is Varys' wet dream. Varys is the master of whispers. Varys said power resides where men believe it resides, a mummer's trick, a shadow on the wall. Varys is done with Dany and Jon according to what he said in ep1. Dany threatened to burn him alive if he plotted behind her back if he lost faith in her. It won't be for Jon.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jon looks even less like one. Aegon is supposed to be half Dornish. If people can believe Ned's bastard who is supporting mad Dany suddenly turns out to be Aegon Targaryen (an usurper's name since he is not claiming to be the other Aegon), that Rhaegar was actually married to Lyanna which they have no proof of and which the maesters will never provide, then yeah, maybe he has a chance.

Harry has, if he claims to be Aegon (the only one people know of), the "right family name, and a powerful army", which is what Varys said was needed to rule.

Olenna also said, when speaking of Sansa with Varys and Varys was telling her LF was trying to get himself a powerful army:

Varys and the GC leader as a couple is Varys' wet dream. Varys is the master of whispers. Varys said power resides where men believe it resides, a mummer's trick, a shadow on the wall. Varys is done with Dany and Jon according to what he said in ep1. Dany threatened to burn him alive if he plotted behind her back if he lost faith in her. It won't be for Jon.
One could hope, but it doesn't look like they are doing it by casting someone in their late 30's-early 40's instead of early 20's(which is how old Aegon would be)

Most likely he is just a namedropped redshirt unfortunately

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

The problem is that Harry looks considerably too old to be Rhaegar's kid. He looks like Jaime, he looks to be the same age as Jaime. He could not possibly pass for someone born at the end of Robert's Rebellion.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly not sure what is a more pants-on-head absurd theory - Arya is dead and it's actually the Waif, or, with 5 episodes of the series left, a new character will be introduced who claims to be a Targaeryan and actually ends up as king at the end of the series. They are both theories that utterly ignore how television storytelling functions.

Status
Not open for further replies.