• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Argh, danys turn doesn't make sense. Okay snapping after Varys betraying her, that makes sense but the reason he betrayed her is because he thought she had already snapped but she hadn't.

She has been threatening to burn people alive or burning people alive since season 2. Anytime she faces any kind of adversity, she threatens to set people on fire.

Deleted member 25712

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Argh, danys turn doesn't make sense. Okay snapping after Varys betraying her, that makes sense but the reason he betrayed her is because he thought she had already snapped but she hadn't.

He knew Jon had the better claim and would be the better ruler. He lays out the whole case to him like 3 minutes in and in the last episode before they leave winterfell. This isn't a problem. Jaime is a problem.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
This show fell off a cliff when The Mannis died

b85.gif
This weak mothafucka only managed to burn ONE little girl.

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
Fucking dying over here at that Euron/Jaime scene.

EURON: Bro, we gotta fight!
JAIME: Uh? Why?
EURON: The authors don't know what to do with me, bro!
EURON: I'm a real bad loose end! Just do me dirty, bro!
JAIME: I have no idea what this has to do with my arc, though.
EURON: I fucked your sister, bro! That good enough for ya?!
JAIME: Not really?
Yeah, that's about right.

Plum

May 31, 2018
"People will always prioritize petty self interests over the greater good, even when all of civilization is facing an existential crisis" seems kinda poignant to me. Like, if you want to take the White Walkers = climate change comparison further, imagine a scenario where all of humanity bands together and flat out stops climate change (whatever the hell that entails). Is that the end of all war? Does peace last forever because we managed to set aside our differences to end the one thing that threatened everyone indiscriminately? Or do we lapse back into the same shit we use to divide and fight among each other all over again?

The thematic purpose of the White Walkers isn't that climate change/zombies/insert existential threat can unite the world in harmony. It's to show that people are their own worst enemies.

If the White Walkers were connected in any way to what's going on right now then maybe I'd see your point but they're really not; that 'message' just seems like something meant to explain why the show did barely anything with the White Walker threat. You could have cut out the White Walker plot in its entirety and replaced them with just some random group of evil humans and there really wouldn't have been any change either thematically or in terms of story.

And "people are their own worst enemies," is exactly the kind of meaningless statement that I'm ragging on. Not to come off as harsh but, so what if people are their own worst enemies? That offers nothing to me in terms of thematic satisfaction because it's just baseless nihilism built around nothing that actually relates to the real world or the human condition. As I said earlier in the thread, it's a fantasy world commenting on itself.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking dying over here at that Euron/Jaime scene.

EURON: Bro, we gotta fight!
JAIME: Uh? Why?
EURON: The authors don't know what to do with me, bro!
EURON: I'm a real bad loose end! Just do me dirty, bro!
JAIME: I have no idea what this has to do with my arc, though.
EURON: I fucked your sister, bro! That good enough for ya?!
JAIME: Not really?

lmao. That'll teach Euron alright!

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It's not a question of liking it. It's a question of execution. It was poorly executed.

I bet I will like it when/if I read it in the books because it will feel earned

And I love when people bring up the Tarlys like it was some awful thing she did. She beat them in battle (they had turned coat against their liege lord btw, Olena who was pledged to Danny). She told them to bend the knee. They said no. Okay bye. This is fucking medieval warfare not a Geneva Convention. They weren't innocent civilians. They were soldiers that refused to submit to Dany after being beaten. Not great to kill them, especially by modern standards, but not equivalent to roasting a city filled with women and children AFTER THE ARMY SURRENDERED

To make me swallow this I'd have to see her at least once kill a true innocent civilian in a fit of rage. It had never happened. She has always tried to protect the defenseless

And did we all forget when Jon killed Janos Slynt for not obeying his orders as Commander of the Knights watch? He could have been merciful and just locked him up. He could have not executed Janos when Janos changed his mind and said he would listen to Jon's orders. He didn't. Why aren't we applying the same standards of morality to Jon and Janos as to Dany and the Tarlys?

Are you aware that House Tarly was sworn to and fought for House Targaryen during Robert's Rebellion? They should've immediately joined her cause when she showed up, they would have seen anyone else as usurpers.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not a question of liking it. It's a question of execution. It was poorly executed.

I bet I will like it when/if I read it in the books because it will feel earned

And I love when people bring up the Tarlys like it was some awful thing she did. She beat them in battle (they had turned coat against their liege lord btw, Olena who was pledged to Danny). She told them to bend the knee. They said no. Okay bye. This is fucking medieval warfare not a Geneva Convention. They weren't innocent civilians. They were soldiers that refused to submit to Dany after being beaten. Not great to kill them, especially by modern standards, but not equivalent to roasting a city filled with women and children AFTER THE ARMY SURRENDERED

To make me swallow this I'd have to see her at least once kill a true innocent civilian in a fit of rage. It had never happened. She has always tried to protect the defenseless

And did we all forget when Jon killed Janos Slynt for not obeying his orders as Commander of the Knights watch? He could have been merciful and just locked him up. He could have not executed Janos when Janos changed his mind and said he would listen to Jon's orders. He didn't. Why aren't we applying the same standards of morality to Jon and Janos as to Dany and the Tarlys?

Did you forget Dany had her dragons roast and eat a person back in Mereen? Her answer was: "I don't know if he was innocent or guilty" .

She just randomly picked someone to die to send a message. He did nothing to her.

Also she executed a slave who was begging her for mercy. Did it in front of the whole city.

Janos Slynt disobeyed a direct order and in the north, you die for that.

You have to take off your Dany glasses to see that she was far worse than he was.

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am so surprised that you guys are so pissed off right now as if the quality of the writing went down with this episode. The show's writing quality went down after season 4. It took a sharp nose dive after season 5. It's been about on-screen spectacle and predictable fan service for the past 3 seasons. This was honestly an incredible episode to watch. Sometimes you just have to ignore the terrible writing and simply enjoy the spectacle on display. I absolutely loved the fact that they had Danny go in this direction. I never expected them to do it right. I just hoped that they did it. And they did. I feel satisfied.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
He only sold his sister, forced her into marriage, threatened her life, and treated her like shit. It's just a prank, bro!

The only thing that arc told me is that Dany wasn't some wilting flower to be sold off, she was a Real One and homie got the crown for that

I don't even think he said anything tho

they just gazed at one another

Magic works right until your shitty little brother shows up with his shitty little face...?

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
People have been saying Dany was mad with power since she was crowd surfing and loving it, or killing the Tarly's. I'm not saying anyone is wrong for it feeling rushed, it deserved more time, but it can't be that sudden when people have been saying it for so long

I've been telling my wife, who loves Dany and her dragons, for the last few seasons that she is going to be like Genghis Khan and his conquering Mongol Horsemen, since she's been led down this path where she believes she's entitled to the throne and totally drank the Kool Aid. It's been pretty obvious.

Agreed that it feels rushed tho. Same with the white walkers.

duxstar

Oct 26, 2017
They needed a few more episodes with Dany on tilt to really justify this

Sure would've been nice if the network would've supported them and given them the money and episodes they needed for these seasons

wait

Do you have a link to that article where they say that HBO was willing to go on for more seasons, but that D and D wanted to cut it short

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I also like how there was a stealth dragon attack on the golden company and main gate

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think the moral of the story is "bitches be crazy and shouldn't rule". Cersei was crazy and vindictive, Sansa's a backstabber, and Dany goes genocidal maniac when she doesn't have someone to fuck. Makes sense.

I really appreciate how the Cersei is pregnant storyline was worth fuck-all other than to make Tyrion look like a fucking idiot many times over. It added zero to the show.

And it also confirmed that people are teleporting, since it should take almost a year for an army to go to and from Winterfell to King's Landing on foot and that baby shoulda been damn close to being born by the time Cersei said it was Euron's.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Cersei didnt deserve a brutal death? The lady that blew up a church?
Getting crushed under the Red Keep while pregnant with her brother's child is absolutely a brutal death. Literally what she thought was the safest place killed her in the end, a fault of her own for provoking someone who owns a dragon that's been known to decimate armies in seconds.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
This episode broke me. Cleganebowl delivered but the central plot point went so far that it broke me. This didn't work. It just didn't. I'll write up more later.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"The people of King's Landing will never support you, because Cersei is a good queen or something. Nevermind that High Garden, the Reach, the Vale, Dorne, the North, and even the damn Iron Islands and probably a lot of people in Essos support you! Be evil now."

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I wish they would have hit at least some ballista shot, like minor penetration or scraping Drogon. Drogon is bigger and tougher than the others, why didn't they use that. It would make it more consistent with other ballista vs dragon scenes.
What is inconsistent? Rhegal wings were fucked up and he was already injured before he died and Dany was prepared this time. I suppose they could have hidden some ballista away from view if I had to nitpick.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
In the next episode, Dany literally becomes Hitler.
I like how the unsullied forces have quadrupled since the winterfell massacre

I also like how the last 2 hours in an IP with tons of weaving plotlines is going to be dedicated to disposing of this trash nonsense heel turn and not ya know. Wrapping up plot threads

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
Actually way more excited now for the final episode than i was after eps 4. Really curious how everyone hating Dany plays out. I mean everyone bitches about how the show became predicable yet this was probably one of the least predicted outcomes I saw.
That's because the writers used poor character development and the dumbing down of key characters like Tyrion to hide a plot twist they wanted to make.

A better set of writers would of better established the theme of no longer caring about the innocent and her dark impulses consuming at her and made it a tragic shocking moment. Where you better establish her isolation, her sense of betrayal, her creeping disdain for the people of Westeros. Contrast it with the good Dany and find some creative ways to throw the audience off during this season.....Not justify everything because she stares at the Red Keep and is apparently way more insane over not getting fucked and her friends deaths than the show let on.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
So Dany turning evil seems like its always been possible, but they didnt do a good job of building it. In my head canon, Targaryans just have a magical gene in them that makes them snap the fuck out if they reach a mental breakdown.

Aktlys

Oct 27, 2017
Is this easy move? =D
Terrible episode.
The writing has been all over the place for since GRRMs red line ended.

Also ended in the lamest possible way... white steed just standing there... LULZ

Status
Not open for further replies.