• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Why would Brienne leave Winterfell in the next ep? Sansa is seemingly staying behind, I would think she would too. If she doesn't I wonder what the reasoning would be unless Sansa tells her to go.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why would Brienne leave Winterfell in the next ep? Sansa is seemingly staying behind, I would think she would too. If she doesn't I wonder what the reasoning would be unless Sansa tells her to go.
They need all the swords they can get. No reason to leave a knight behind, I doubt somebody would try to backstab winterfell in that time, it's a ruin too anyway.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Brienne finished her character arc when she was knighted by Jaime; Episode 2 is 'her' episode, and I can't see anything else she can really do in the show now that she's upheld literally every oath she ever made and became what she always wanted to be.

As for the others, what's the issue with characters being unable to fulfill their arcs? The White Walkers invading was set up to be a tragedy yet in reality they made it so that they can't kill anyone who hasn't already completed their quest line. Having Jaime die saving Brienne or Bran would be a fitting end to his character even if he never got to go toe-to-toe with Cersei; at that point he's betrayed the South and walked out of her life, there's nothing he can change with Cersei outside of being the Queenslayer. Having the Hound die would have cemented the White Walkers as a legitimate threat, but because Cleganebowl has become such a big meme they clearly didn't want to do that.

Similarly, the Red Wedding was not the conclusion to Robb and Catelyn's story arcs but the realistic conclusion to their character arcs. Nothing is tied up in a neat bow and the goal they had been building up to for 3 seasons was left unfulfilled. They died because they made mistakes in a world that leaves little room for error; the same goes for Ned, Oberyn, Tywin, etc. Meanwhile in Episode 3 we have everything being hunky-dory despite everyone making massive mistakes throughout. In the grand scheme of things the Night King was less of a threat in the world of Westeros than Walder Frey, and that's purely because the characters he fights are immune from the consequences of their mistakes.

I haven't read the books but I don't even think the NK is in them at all; he's entirely a show invention. It also doesn't really make sense for him to be a super-powerful Warg considering Wargs can't do anything whilst they're warging into other creatures. He just seems to have some sort of hive-mind like control over them, being able to give them specific orders (like 'kill yourselves to get past the trench') or give them more vague orders such as 'kill anything alive'.

In the book, there is the "great other" and "the night king" are seperate things. In interviews, Martin has straight stated the night king is a legend like lan the clever, it's unlikely he's alive a thousand years on. The great other on the other hand, is brought up by Melisandre as to still be around and supposed to oppose azor azhai. The show just...combined the great other and the night king into one

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
It would have been cool to have them muster the plan to have few of the best warriors with valyrian steel weapons go around wights to confront white walkers. Have others trying to keep Winterfell safe. It end up with nice duels, maybe few deaths also. I mean, they had to know that killing WW kills huge amount of wights too?
I think the plan was to allow them to advance and then swoop in and roast the WW on horses in one swoop. It fell to pieces during the charge of the light brigade.

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
In the book, there is the "great other" and "the night king" are seperate things. In interviews, Martin has straight stated the night king is a legend like lan the clever, it's unlikely he's alive a thousand years on. The great other on the other hand, is brought up by Melisandre as to still be around and supposed to oppose azor azhai. The show just...combined the great other and the night king into one
Yeah, the Great Other is more of a deity figure while the Night's King is more of a legendary figure.

Neither are likely to be alive today. Neither are confirmed to have even existed at all.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The Night's King was a Lord Commander of the Night's Watch who declared himself a king.

Apart from having a similar title, he's not really related to the Night King.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
In the books the dead are laid with swords "to defend themselves from the dead." Now I admit, this probably would have been hokey, but it could have been neat to see the reanimated dead Starks defending the crypt and disobey the night's king. Either that or dead ned attacking Tyrion and Sansa while carrying his skull in his hand.
See this would have been awesome. Even if its not something that happens in the books it would be an awesome way to tie that bit of mysticism into the show. If that happens you can have wights break into the crypt and then have the people hiding fall back while the dead Starks defend them. You can still have the whole Tyrion/Sansa scared scene without the whole unbelievably written aspect of "oh all the unnamed characters are getting killed but looks here's Vary's and his group conveniently safe in a dark little corner.

I'm interested in seeing Dany's reaction to losing almost everything she worked towards over the past several years. From her point of view, if she had headed straight to King's Landing with her Dothraki and Unsullied at full strength, plus her dragons, she would most likely be sitting on the Iron Throne. Ironically, Winterfell and the North might have fared better too since the NK wouldn't have hijacked a dragon and melted the wall.

I wonder in her grief and anger if she will blame John and the North for her staggering losses. The idea of her going North was to help save the realm and head to King's Landing as a hero of the North. My fear is that the seemingly complete loss of her armies will drive her to becoming more tyrannical, not less.
Thats exactly what theyre setting it up for. She's been taking L's left and right ever since she lost Viserion in Season 7. She doesn't trust Tryion and no more Jorah to reign in her impulsive nature? Its quite obvious this is the way they will take her character.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Wait a minute...

...how the hell did the Wights in the Crypts break through stone? The guy we see is pretty much just a skeleton.

Is the Night King also the Calcium King or something?

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
The Night's King was a Lord Commander of the Night's Watch who declared himself a king.

Apart from having a similar title, he's not really related to the Night King.
Ehhh

According to legend, Night's King lived during the Age of Heroes, not long after the Wall was complete. He was a fearless warrior named the thirteenth Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. Later, he fell in love with a woman "with skin as white as the moon and eyes like blue stars". He chased her and loved her though "her skin was cold as ice", and when he gave his seed to her he gave his soul as well. Night's King brought her back to the Nightfort and after the unholy union, he declared himself king and her his queen, and ruled the Nightfort as his own castle for thirteen years.​

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Night's_King

There is an early connection to the Others (e. g. White Walkers)

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Wait a minute...

...how the hell did the Wights in the Crypts break through stone? The guy we see is pretty much just a skeleton.

Is the Night King also the Calcium King or something?
Did all of the late Stark family get resurrected or just those in the past year or two? Maybe their graves weren't as fortified as the older ones.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
See this would have been awesome. Even if its not something that happens in the books it would be an awesome way to tie that bit of mysticism into the show. If that happens you can have wights break into the crypt and then have the people hiding fall back while the dead Starks defend them. You can still have the whole Tyrion/Sansa scared scene without the whole unbelievably written aspect of "oh all the unnamed characters are getting killed but looks here's Vary's and his group conveniently safe in a dark little corner.

Thats exactly what theyre setting it up for. She's been taking L's left and right ever since she lost Viserion in Season 7. She doesn't trust Tryion and no more Jorah to reign in her impulsive nature? Its quite obvious this is the way they will take her character.

It's a major theme that Martin has been hitting on. He has a quote where he says how in fantasy dating back to tolkein good and bad is blatantly obvious. good guy is beautiful and dressed in white, bad guy is usually dressed in black and ugly. Not to mention he's pointed out that everyone is the good guy in their own mind. It's not an uncommon theory in the book community that Danny will lose her shit and go all fire and blood like Targaryens always do

Plum

May 31, 2018
Well calcium is in your bones, and the Night King is the king of skeletons

Therefore, yes
Starks are buried in milk

pASXO7h.jpg

Did all of the late Stark family get resurrected or just those in the past year or two? Maybe their graves weren't as fortified as the older ones.

The only Wight we got a good look at seemed to be really fucking old and wasn't any of the show's dead Starks so this wouldn't really make sense.

Even then stone is hard. You need a fuckton of muscle to punch through that shit.

Zeel

Oct 27, 2017
I see this as actually two episodes.
One episode that has great direction by Sapochnik and is a visual feast.
One episode that has some of the most gutless and lazy writing I have yet experienced by those two hacks.
Overall I did enjoy it as a standalone episode/movie, but definitely not as an important part of the show.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see this as actually two episodes.
One episode that has great direction by Sapochnik and is a visual feast.
One episode that has some of the most gutless and lazy writing I have yet experienced by those two hacks.
Overall I did enjoy it as a standalone episode/movie, but definitely not as an important part of the show.

Yup. Excellent work by Sapochnik. Shitty work by D&D.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
It's a major theme that Martin has been hitting on. He has a quote where he says how in fantasy dating back to tolkein good and bad is blatantly obvious. good guy is beautiful and dressed in white, bad guy is usually dressed in black and ugly. Not to mention he's pointed out that everyone is the good guy in their own mind. It's not an uncommon theory in the book community that Danny will lose her shit and go all fire and blood like Targaryens always do
I agree and I believe I've read around about the books making her have a shakier disposition. Unfortunately the shows is a bit too subtle and has taken too long to show that aspect of her character and now theyre going to rush to show it in 3 episodes. So even if it makes sense thematically, youll still have people upset because "Dany was never an unhinged character".

I personally look forward to her going head first after the one thing her character as always been centered around, the Iron Throne.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want to watch this week's episode again, but I feel like I have to wait until night-time to do it, since so many people blamed the show's poor fidelity on improper lighting.

Plum

May 31, 2018

So the Wights are strong enough to break through stone but not strong enough to break through the guard of a single flesh-covered human? They couldn't get down the doors of the Crypt but they could break through the stone walls of the Crypt's coffins?

I know "it's a show with fantasy elements!" and all but it just seems that the Wights are what the show wanted them to be at any given time instead of an actual entity. Every other fantastical thing in the show is decidedly not that.

And yes it is a nitpick lol, but considering the Crypt scenes barely even mattered in the end it's a nitpick that is given more attention than it should. If they're not going to kill any of the named characters down there they should have just had the Wights batter the door down and come in that way; maybe have a Wight ban on the stone coffin and fail to get anywhere before there's a big jump scare and they start streaming from the stairs.

Deleted member 34385

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
So the Wights are strong enough to break through stone but not strong enough to break through the guard of a single flesh-covered human? They couldn't get down the doors of the Crypt but they could break through the stone walls of the Crypt's coffins?

I know "it's a show with fantasy elements!" and all but it just seems that the Wights are what the show wanted them to be at any given time instead of an actual entity. Every other fantastical thing in the show is decidedly not that.

And yes it is a nitpick lol, but considering the Crypt scenes barely even mattered in the end it's a nitpick that is given more attention than it should.
just remember the skeleton that could not get out of the wooden crate
maxresdefault.jpg

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

And yes it is a nitpick lol, but considering the Crypt scenes barely even mattered in the end it's a nitpick that is given more attention than it should.
Just seems like you're running out of things to complain about here haha

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
On a serious note, I haven't checked but are the dead in the crypt completely entombed? If they're just in a sarcophogus or whatever then they should have just had them open normally. I never paid much attention to that part.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I want to watch this week's episode again, but I feel like I have to wait until night-time to do it, since so many people blamed the show's poor fidelity on improper lighting.
While still not great, I rewatched parts of it right now in the middle of the night. And it does look clearer than in the morning when I first watched it.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I agree and I believe I've read around about the books making her have a shakier disposition. Unfortunately the shows are a bit too subtle and have taken too long to show that and now theyre going to rush to that side of her in 3 3 episodes. So even if it makes sense thematically, youll still have people upset because "Dany was never and unhinged character".

I personally look forward to her going head first after the one thing her character as always been centered around, the Iron Throne.

The books are wonderful in that it's super subtle and slow her descent from "yaas queen!" to "she sounds kind of entitled..." To "okay I don't think she's a good person..." Another beautiful point about the pov characters and always been the good guy in your own mind. Each pov characters is a very unreliable narrator due to either being deluded or not (understandably) having the whole picture. Often times a characters true demeanour and whatnot is revealed when you see them through the pov of someone else. Danny is the only character in the entire series to not have pov chapter characters around her with the exception of a singular Jorah chapter in the most recent book. But that chapter had shit hitting the fan so all he could focus on was what he needed to do and never even saw Danny. The pieces are all laid out. For all we know she could be a raving lunatic being taken advantage of by others for her dragons and power

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Is it bad if characters fulfill their arcs and still make a meaningful contribution and survive

Plum

May 31, 2018
Just seems like you're running out of things to complain about here haha

Eh, I'm not really complaining about this in particular, I'm just not a fan of dismissive 'it's just magic' posts. The original post was mainly for the Calcium joke tbh.

Though it's mostly just a single example of why I thought the Wights weren't a believable threat throughout the episode; the notion that they weren't a 'real' thing in that world but a plot device that shifted on the fly depending on what the story needed them to do/be. A lot worse was when Jon gets surrounded by the fuckers only for them to change from '28 Days Later' zombies to 'Romero' zombies, or when we see an entire scene dedicated to their super hearing only for everyone in the Crypts to end up A-OK hiding behind the coffins despite not having Arya's 100 in the Stealth stat.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017

And yes it is a nitpick lol, but considering the Crypt scenes barely even mattered in the end it's a nitpick that is given more attention than it should. If they're not going to kill any of the named characters down there they should have just had the Wights batter the door down and come in that way; maybe have a Wight ban on the stone coffin and fail to get anywhere before there's a big jump scare and they start streaming from the stairs.
Yeah, this is one nitpick I'll have to agree with. The shit that happened in the crypts seemed pretty inconsequential, just more loss of life. It feels like they had to have tension so we could get that moment with Sansa and Tyrion.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Seemed like there were a decent amount of unsullied left in the next episode preview (though there really shouldn't be, everything outside the castle walls should have probably been completely decimated)
Yeah. I really really hope it won't go down the Sansa v Danny route, but if she is just strong enough still while being severely weakened they probably will which is annoying.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I'm not really complaining about this in particular, I'm just not a fan of dismissive 'it's just magic' posts. The original post was mainly for the Calcium joke tbh.

Though it's mostly just a single example of why I thought the Wights weren't a believable threat throughout the episode; the notion that they weren't a threat but a plot device that shifted on the fly depending on what the story needed them to do/be. A lot worse was when Jon gets surrounded by the fuckers only for them to change from '28 Days Later' zombies to 'Romero' zombies, or when we see an entire scene dedicated to their super hearing only for everyone in the Crypts to end up A-OK hiding behind the coffins despite not having Arya's 100 in the Stealth stat.

Gunna pull this out of my ass, but maybe the NK being close causes them to have stronger abilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.