• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Why the fuck would she do that? What did Robyn do to deserve to be murdered?
7YZ9r5s.png

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ep 4 is post great war aftermath/gearing for Cersei.

Ep 5 is battle against cersei which gets won way too quickly and people complain

Ep 6 is conflict between Dany and Jon. Everyone complains about ending.

ezpz

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
This entire thread is a series of rants about what people wanted the show to be rather than talking about it on its own merits and goals. There's no point in engaging with the thread if you like the show.

This is very true.

And I'm not saying it as a diss to everyone here that are heavily disappointed with the show. For the third time of me saying it, I truly feel for those people; it must really be awful.

That said, the truth is that I thoroughly enjoyed the season so far. And not because I'm just looking for cheap entertainment without any intellectual qualities, as some people here so gracefully advance. But the fact that I like the GoT TV show shouldn't really matter that much in the end, because everybody has the right to his or her opinions. I just would have hoped that this thread was spacious enough to accommodate multiple types of conversation at a time. But as many people here seem to really enjoy snuffing the enjoyment other people may feel, it is obviously not the case.

For example, one of the many things I did earlier in my life was digital video compositing for TV and cinema. I would have loved to talk about the awesome achievements the GoT show is bringing to the table, especially with the latest episode. Unfortunately, the level of aggressivity in this thread kind of prevents any conversation beside the obvious "The TV show is trash compared with the books", and "D&D are trash".

And if someone responds with: "but this is the internet", I swear I won't be responsible for my actions.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What a terrible loss.

waitcomeback.gif

This is very true.

And I'm not saying it as a diss to everyone here that are heavily disappointed with the show. For the third time of me saying it, I truly feel for those people; it must really be awful.

That said, the truth is that I thoroughly enjoyed the season so far. And not because I'm just looking for cheap entertainment without any intellectual qualities, as some people here so gracefully advance. But the fact that I like the GoT TV show shouldn't really matter that much in the end, because everybody has the right to his or her opinions. I just would have hopped that this thread was spacious enough to accommodate multiple types of conversation at a time. But as many people here seem to really enjoy snuffing the enjoyment other people may feel, it is obviously not the case.

For example, one of the many things I did earlier in my life was digital video compositing for TV and cinema. I would have loved to talk about the awesome achievement the GoT show is bringing to the table, especially with the latest episode. Unfortunately, the level of aggressivity in this thread kind of prevent any conversation beside the obvious "The TV show is trash compared with the books", and "D&D are trash".

And if someone responds with: "but this is the internet", I swear I won't be responsible for my actions.

But most can separate the technical aspects of the episode, which were incredible (the tension, pacing, music, acting, etc) and the way D&D (mis)handled the WW arc. That's why the third option exists... I enjoyed the episode, but there are serious flaws that really detract from what the show is trying to accomplish at the end of the day.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
The Seven Kingdoms are fucked no matter which of the current main cast takes the throne. None of them would make for good rulers or hands. Tywin was probably the best chance the Westeros had, despite his accounting practices.
Deep down I'm hoping dany's wish to break the wheel comes to, but I'm not sure how that happens. I see Sansa being the one that "sews" the country back together, she has ties in the riverlands, east, west (with tyrion), but not so much south of that. So I'm not sure how the reach and Dorne are reconciled.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada

Ep 5 is battle against cersei which gets won way too quickly and people complain

ezpz
Ep 6: bran turns out to be an agent for the night king, transforms into the NK, resurrect all dead warriors, butchers everyone. End

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

ezpz

Our expectations will be subverted and Cersei will slip on a banana peel next episode.

Bungie

Oct 31, 2017
What was the dothraki looking up when they ran into the army of the dead about? Did they run into a wall of giants or something?

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Our expectations will be subverted and Cersei will slip on a banana peel next episode.

Rian! Buddy!

Save those expectation shattering ideas for the new SW trilogy!

What was the dothraki looking up when they ran into the army of the dead about? Did they run into a wall of giants or something?

I think it was more the sea of the undead climbing on top of each other, but I honestly don't know it wasn't very clear even upon a rewatch. I'm sure someone has frozen the frame though.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
That's how she loses the baby.

However, never wasteful, she offers to breastfeed sweet robin in order to forge an alliance with the vale. This causes Sansa's alliance with them to crumble.

These are the politics that people are clamoring for.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Deep down I'm hoping dany's wish to break the wheel comes to, but I'm not sure how that happens. I see Sansa being the one that "sews" the country back together, she has ties in the riverlands, east, west (with tyrion), but not so much south of that. So I'm not sure how the reach and Dorne are reconciled.
Even with dragons the Targaryens failed to conquer and hold Dorne. It wasn't till much later that Dorne joined through a marriage alliance. When Ellia and the babies were killed, they went back to not giving a fuck about the Seven Kingdoms. What is anyone going to do to them that dragons couldn't do?

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Posting this here because I was typing it as the other thread got locked, but I still want to say it.

I would be curious how many people who have not read the books also subscribe to this.
I've never read the books before, but I can definitely tell that the show is different from how it used to be. The most recent episode is most evident of the change.

In "old" GoT, the characters who were repeatedly shown to be in unsurvivable scenarios (Brienne, Jaime, etc., when the camera cuts to them several times as they're completely surrounded) would have actually been killed, rather than spared with plot armor. The story probably dictates that they had to survive Winterfell, but in the "old" show, the episode would have been written differently to put them in a situation they could actually get out of, rather than avoiding the consequences of their situation just because the story needed it. However, the show looks cooler and more flashy with them being in said unsurvivable scenario, which is how the show has been for some time now. Everything must usually have immediate appeal to the viewer now, story and logic be damned.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Excuse me? I'm alt-right? What the fuck are you talking about?

Buddy you showed your ass yesterday

Then why the fuck did you bring up Jorah dying you fucking dunce?

You're the big online tough guy who responded with "buddy" first, so it seems like you're the one getting triggered.

Cute of you to go back and edit tho. Oh wait, sorry I used the word buddy again. Forgot you have like, a complex about that.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah you see a giant. Its basically like the Dothraki running into a fucking wall and coming to a full stop. I did only see one giant on the initial charge tho.
I'm not sure if it was a giant.

Seemed to me more like a World War Z style SEA OF DEAD mob.

Just the pure density and numbers of the dead overwhelmed the warriors.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Even with dragons the Targaryens failed to conquer and hold Dorne. It wasn't till much later that Dorne joined through a marriage alliance. When Ellia and the babies were killed, they went back to not giving a fuck about the Seven Kingdoms. What is anyone going to do to them that dragons couldn't do?
Pretty sure Dorne in the show consisted of the water gardens and the sand snakes, so the entire country has been decimated.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Buddy you showed your ass yesterday

Cute of you to go back and edit tho. Oh wait, sorry I used the word buddy again. Forgot you have like, a complex about that.

I have news for you dude, people of all political alignments use the word "triggered". Someone who's spent his whole life working for liberal campaigns and documentaries doesn't suddenly become alt-right because they use it on a message board. You really are a complete fucking fool.

Dec 13, 2017
I think trying to brush off everyone who has issues with the episodes as "book readers" is disingenuous though. I have group chats of around 20-30 people who all watch the show only, out of those people like 2 of them have read he books. One of them loved the episode and the other is indifferent. The vast majority of show watching friends did not like the episode because of the many reasons said here, except they didn't care much for the prophecies, but more for the framing of how this was supposed to be a long night and how Arya came out of nowhere.

The way they made Arya zoom past everyone and jump a million feet is the worst offense, because it's just incredibly illogical. Already in an episode where most people should've died, the bad guy is killed by hidden super powers, which is just dumb.

Anyway, I'm hoping the next episode isn't devolved into bickering between Jon and Dany. I read a theory on Reddit about Tyrion has been Messi g up on purpose trying to sabotage Dany and he formed an alliance with Cersei in their meeting. My main issue with that is, why would he do that? Why would Tyrion ally himself with Cersei after he's admitted he would've killed her if he could have. I'm hoping that's not the case, I think Tyrion eventually gets stripped as Hand because the dude has dropped the ball ever since he's been given any kind of responsibility again after leaving Westeros. It really feels like he's playing old tricks and the world has kind of moved past him. Take the Rock? The Rock doesn't mean as much to Cersei/Jaime as it did to Tyson/Tyrion. He keeps getting out played and I think he'll be punished for that.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Posting this here because I was typing it as the other thread got locked, but I still want to say it.

I've never read the books before, but I can definitely tell that the show is different from how it used to be. The most recent episode is most evident of the change.

In "old" GoT, the characters who were repeatedly shown to be in unsurvivable scenarios (Brienne, Jaime, etc., when the camera cuts to them several times as they're completely surrounded) would have actually been killed, rather than spared with plot armor. The story probably dictates that they had to survive Winterfell, but in the "old" show, the episode would have been written differently to put them in a situation they could actually get out of, rather than avoiding the consequences of their situation just because the story needed it. However, the show looks cooler and more flashy with them being in said unsurvivable scenario, which is how the show has been for some time now. Everything must usually have immediate appeal to the viewer now, story and logic be damned.

I've seen this posted on reddit a few hours ago. Basically a fan edit of a "darker" (and by that I mean total loss for the humans) ending to the episode. Can't help but to feel that some of the deaths portrayed here should've happened in the actual episode too.

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017

I agree with this. The neat thing about Ned's death and the Red Wedding wasn't simply that it surprised the audience. It's that events actually follow the rules and tone of the world that was created. In many stories, Ned would have been saved at the last second. ASOIAF is more real than that. His death fit the way that this world operates.

People don't want deaths because it would be shocking. In fact, it really wouldn't be at this point. They just want to keep that consistent, grounded tone.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Oh, I stand corrected! Didn't get a notification, thank you Morrigan. Maybe this thread isn't so bad. (I'm sincerely not being sarcastic)
The thread isn't that bad. There's been plenty of good discussion in here, even if a lot of different opinions and interpretations (which should only make the discussion more interesting). Only the dumb snark and hostility is extra and we could do without them.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I have news for you dude, people of all political alignments use the word "triggered". Someone who's spent his whole life working for liberal campaigns and documentaries doesn't suddenly become alt-right because they use it on a message board. You really are a complete fucking fool.

Does it bother you when you're called alt-right because of your opinions on entertainment?

that would be deeply ironic

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017

If Jiggy is being inappropriate and accusatory, which he definitely is, use the report function. This isn't the first time you've resorted to name calling and I don't think that's appropriate either.

The thread isn't that bad. There's been plenty of good discussion in here, even if a lot of different opinions and interpretations (which should only make the discussion more interesting). Only the dumb snark and hostility is extra and we could do without them.

Agreed wholeheartedly.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Accusing someone of being alt-right with dubious evidence because they argued with you on a forum about a tv show is some real Cersei Lannister shit. High risk, high reward.

Let's see if it backfires.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
If Jiggy is being inappropriate and accusatory, which I actually agree he is, use the report function. This isn't the first time you've resorted to name calling and I don't think that's appropriate either.

I did. And it isn't appropriate, but being baselessly accused of being alt-right would justifiably get anyone here pissed off when they've been literally life long liberals.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Tyrion is probably the number-one recipient of the Idiot Ball these past couple of seasons. If Tyrion's intellect was still at the level it was at in the GRRM seasons, I imagine the North/Targ coalition would've been able to wipe out all of their threats with no issue. It feels like they basically just needed to nerf him in order to nerf Dany and her army, which is a shame.

Yeah even Peter dinklage can't help but point out how going into a crypt when dead rise is a stupid move in the making of episode.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
waitcomeback.gif

But most can separate the technical aspects of the episode, which were incredible (the tension, pacing, music, acting, etc) and the way D&D (mis)handled the WW arc. That's why the third option exists... I enjoyed the episode, but there are serious flaws that really detract from what the show is trying to accomplish at the end of the day.

Yup. The tension, the pacing, the music, the acting, the directing, everything was incredible.

Except for the writing.

I dread to think how the episode would have turned out if Sapochnik didn't direct it.

Sapochniks directing saved the episode for me.

Jan 2, 2018
Loved the episode. However, I wanted the night king to move all the way to kings landing. Also, more people should have died.

Jamie
Daenerys
Samwell

At least those three.

Night king lived too short. He should have wrecked havoc in most of Westeros. And then when almost everything is lost, the living win.

Also, why didn't they just move south around frey castle? Hold the off at the rivers?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.