• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Erebus

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Europe

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
lol what?

So I've been thinking, if Daenerys really wanted to torch the red keep with Drogon wouldn't attacking at night be their best bet? Unless Qybern has also invented infrared scopes I can't see how they would be able to aim the dragon in the night sky.

Come on, we JUST had an episode where you could barely see anything that happened, I don't want another one of those. Screw logic and consistency, the show is about spectacle now.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Jeez guys, that is NOT what he said. Please watch the full clip, the context around "she forgot about the iron fleet" is incredibly important.

He was talking about Dany not thinking about what her enemies were doing while she was busy fighting the dead up north. Not that she forgot the fleet existed or that it was a threat, but she forgot that they might be upgrading their ships to better fight dragons.

It's still stupid to forget that your enemy might be building/enhancing their forces but it's not the same level of stupid everyone keeps talking about.
She already got wrecked by the fleet at least once (maybe twice I think I dont remember a lot of season 7) and already had gotten shot at by a scorpion from lannister forces who were allied with the iron fleet.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
What if this all turns out to be a vision of a potential future in Bran's head at the end?
st-elsewhere_tommy-westphall-snow-globe.jpg

(Reference for the ancients among us)

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
One day I hope D&D explain their massive love for Dark Queen Cersei and Douchepirate Euron.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Jeez guys, that is NOT what he said. Please watch the full clip, the context around "she forgot about the iron fleet" is incredibly important.

He was talking about Dany not thinking about what her enemies were doing while she was busy fighting the dead up north. Not that she forgot the fleet existed or that it was a threat, but she forgot that they might be upgrading their ships to better fight dragons.

It's still stupid to forget that your enemy might be building/enhancing their forces but it's not the same level of stupid everyone keeps talking about.

She was not fighting the dead that that point. They were back on her main mission, and Euron's fleet should have been in the forefront of her thoughts. Jesus.

Not sure how you can honestly apologize for this. It's pretty clear-cut.

Verbatim: "While Dany kind of forgot about the iron fleet and Euron's forces, they haven't forgotten about her."

That clip even highlights just how stupid it was that she ran into them in the first place, temporary alzheimer's or no. What you are trying to argue only makes sense in the context of everything that happened prior to the level 20 Assassin dashing in to save the world.

Last edited:

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

Thank you. I wish people would realize this. Dany didn't really have a reason to fear Euron, she thought she was safe scouting ahead on her dragon. Her "forgetting" about them just means that she failed to realize that they wouldn't simply be biding their time but would be making preparations for her.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Oh also remember when yara took all of the ships from euron in season 5 or 6 or w/e

And he built the biggest fleet in westeros right after anyway

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
lol what?

So I've been thinking, if Daenerys really wanted to torch the red keep with Drogon wouldn't attacking at night be their best bet? Unless Qybern has also invented infrared scopes I can't see how they would be able to aim the dragon in the night sky.
Qyburn has invented infrared scopes

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Oh also remember when yara took all of the ships from euron in season 5 or 6 or w/e

So Yara's been back a couple weeks. She should have a nice fleet built up by now. Maybe an aircraft carrier for the dragon to land on.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
only way to redeem this season is to bring the mannis back

how great would it have been if in episode 3, instead of melisandre, the mannis comes out of the darkness, shakes his head at the dumb battle strategy and takes over command of the battle. then he puts the catapults inside winterfell, tells the dothraki to flank the army of the dead and shoot at them with arrrows, retreating everytime the dead come closer, instead of just rushing to their deaths. that would have subverted my expectations in a good way.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
She already got wrecked by the fleet at least once (maybe twice I think I dont remember a lot of season 7) and already had gotten shot at by a scorpion from lannister forces who were allied with the iron fleet.

Oh yeah I'm not saying this excuse isn't stupid but it's not like "hur, dur, iron what??" stupid that people are trying to portray.

She was not fighting the dead that that point. They were back on her main mission, and Euron's fleet should have been in the forefront of her thoughts. Jesus.

Not sure how you can honestly apologize for this. It's pretty clear-cut.

Verbatim: "While Dany kind of forgot about the iron fleet and Euron's forces, they haven't forgotten about her."

That clip even highlights just how stupid it was that she ran into them in the first place, temporary alzheimer's or no.

Did you watch the video you linked me? Here's the part before your quote:

"While we've been concentrating on Winterfell and the fight against the army of the dead, Dany's other enemies have not just been sitting still, they've been planning for the final battle. We saw in season 7 that Qyburn had invented this giant dragon killing scorpion and it didn't quite work. Qyburn went back to the drawing board and he made even larger more powerful scorpions. Dozens of them are now lining the walls of King's Landing and dozens more are mounted on the deck of the Iron Fleet."

Right after that he says-

"While Dany kind of forgot about the iron fleet and Euron's forces, they certainly haven't forgotten about her."

It's clear what he's saying is that she didn't consider that they might have mounted scorpions onto the iron fleet. She felt safe flying above the water because it hadn't crossed her mind that Qyburn might have decided to make dozens/hundreds of these things and put them on Euron's ships.

Like I said that's still stupid, but it's a much less offensive level of stupid.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

How can we forget?

One of the worst scenes in the whole show. This scene is used as justification as to how Euron ends up with an even bigger fleet than Yara. "Chop down every tree you can find"... uhh.. on the iron islands? Good luck with that. Lmao, it's so poor. And I generally loved S6. But Euron has been poor from the very start. Just D&D's not so subtle way of making shit happen, a plot device disguised as a character.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Did you watch the video you linked me?

Yes, and it changes nothing about the most egregious part of that scene.

It's clear what he's saying is that she didn't consider that they might have mounted scorpions onto the iron fleet. She felt safe flying above the water because it hadn't crossed her mind that Qyburn might have decided to make dozens/hundreds of these things and put them on Euron's ships.

Like I said that's still stupid, but it's a much less offensive level of stupid.

So...if we just set aside logic for a moment, we can attribute this to some ridiculous hubris on her behalf then? "Oh, it's just the Iron Fleet, no biggie" and she would have randomly just kept heading towards them? Euron's fleet may as well have been stealth subs.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
How can we forget?

One of the worst scenes in the whole show. This scene is used as justification as to how Euron ends up with an even bigger fleet than Yara. "Chop down every tree you can find"... uhh.. on the iron islands? Good luck with that. Lmao, it's so poor. And I generally loved S6. But Euron has been poor from the very start. Just D&D's not so subtle way of making shit happen, a plot device disguised as a character.

Season 6 is enjoyable in spite of its writing. The spectacle and stuff was too good and the really shitty writing was scattered throughout enough that it was still a decent season. 5, 7 and 8 don't have that luxury

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm at the point where the only satisfactory conclusion they could give me is a scenario where Cersei wins. She's the only one who they have consistently been true to. Her winning would actually feel deserved and they didn't butcher any of her character arc to get her to where she is (besides that bit last episode where she doesn't just kill them all, because that's not Cersei at all).

Cersei winning would also fit perfectly with the fucked up world we live in anyways.
Nah. She was done even before blowing up the sept. But suddenly she has no consequences for anything and starts winning left and right for no reason other than her role in the script not being over yet.

I'd be all for a "bad guys win" upset, but not with fucking Cersei.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, and it changes nothing about the most egregious part of that scene.

So...if we just set aside logic for a moment, we can attribute this to some ridiculous hubris on her behalf then? "Oh, it's just the Iron Fleet, no biggie" and she would have randomly just kept heading towards them?

I said earlier this week that the scene would have been much, much better if the iron fleet wasn't hidden at all, but they had hidden or camouflaged the scorpions. Dany sees the ships ahead and decides to send Rhaegal to torch them since what can they do to fight back? Then as Rhaegal gets closer (as in, within a logical and realistic firing range) they unveil the scorpions and fire.

That would have been much more powerful because it would've shown us Dany's arrogance is what cost her Rhaegal's life, which is what the show kinda seems to want us to think anyway.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
how great would it have been if in episode 3, instead of melisandre, the mannis comes out of the darkness, shakes his head at the dumb battle strategy and takes over command of the battle. then he puts the catapults inside winterfell, tells the dothraki to flank the army of the dead and shoot at them with arrrows, retreating everytime the dead come closer, instead of just rushing to their deaths. that would have subverted my expectations in a good way.

Also he's wielding Lightbringer and lights up the whole night sky with his shiny sword so the audience can see what the hell is going on.

8d0fc7a5c9ea12aedfd65f2d0e61a472.jpg

"We know no King but the King with the glowy sword whose name is Stannis!"

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Execute Order 73

Eliminate Game of Thrones, pave way for the Star Wars empire

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
This shows the power that showrunners sometimes have. Lost did not do this soon enough, GOT did it too early.

HBO should have changed showrunners after season 5, when George's material ended they clearly did not have a good plan for the rest. I loved so much that Arya killed the NK, but the reason they gave was "Jon didnt feel right, Arya felt right". Its baffling.

Gigglepoo

Oct 25, 2017
What are the most egregious sins an episode of GoT can commit? Mine is "boring" first followed by "Illogical" which is why I'm generally higher on the "distasteful" Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken and season 5 as a whole.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
This shows the power that showrunners sometimes have. Lost did not do this soon enough, GOT did it too early.

HBO should have changed showrunners after season 5, when George's material ended they clearly did not have a good plan for the rest. I loved so much that Arya killed the NK, but the reason they gave was "Jon didnt feel right, Arya felt right". Its baffling.

Part of creative decision making is trusting your gut as to what feels right for the story.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished ep4. Umm, why exactly didn't Cersei kill that little squad right here and there?
She could've easily offed Dany's soldiers and dragon in seconds using the huge crossbows.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Why did they not leave the show then? Long running series many times have changes in show runners. God these two fucking suck. Lucasfilm (unlike the idiots running the live action Disney films) have shown that they are willing to take projects always from directors who have shown shaky results in other works. Please take Star Wars away from these two dummies.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are the most egregious sins an episode of GoT can commit? Mine is "boring" first followed by "Illogical" which is why I'm generally higher on the "distasteful" Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken and season 5 as a whole.

For a show that is known for the fear that "no character is safe", the plot armor survivals are pretty sad to me.
The last couple episodes had way too much plot armor for my liking.

This... this cuts deep.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Why did they not leave the show then? Long running series always have changed in show runners. God I these two fucking suck. Lucasfilm (unlike the idiots running the live action Disney films) has shown that they are willing to take projects always from directors who have shown shaky results in other works. Please take Star Wars away from these two dummies.
They're full of themselves and think nobody else should touch "their" proverbial baby, even if that means running it into the ground with a rushed mess.

What is inexplicable is HBO complying with this bullshit.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017

Lordy, George Lucas syndrome.

Sure, let them be showrunners still, but hire some fucking real writers HBO!

Hell have GRRM write the last few seasons with the direction to go with the show plot threads rather than the book. He might have been able do the much less complicated show scripts at a decent pace then could turn around and have some ideas on how to wrap up the books.

Status
Not open for further replies.