• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lordy, George Lucas syndrome.

Sure, let them be showrunners still, but hire some fucking real writers HBO!

Hell have GRRM write the last few seasons with the direction to go with the show plot threads rather than the book. He might have been able do the much less complicated show scripts at a decent pace then could turn around and have some ideas on how to wrap up the books.

Apparently there was a falling out between him and D&D years ago (one of the reasons might be that they massacred the last script he wrote for them in season 4). https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywoo...e-rr-martin-last-script-the-lion-and-the-rose

Oct 28, 2017
This shows the power that showrunners sometimes have. Lost did not do this soon enough, GOT did it too early.

HBO should have changed showrunners after season 5, when George's material ended they clearly did not have a good plan for the rest. I loved so much that Arya killed the NK, but the reason they gave was "Jon didnt feel right, Arya felt right". Its baffling.

Why did they not leave the show then? Long running series many times have changes in show runners. God these two fucking suck. Lucasfilm (unlike the idiots running the live action Disney films) have shown that they are willing to take projects always from directors who have shown shaky results in other works. Please take Star Wars away from these two dummies.

Completely changing showrunners has its own set of problems, people have their own interpretations of story arcs and characters and that can lead to weird shifts in a show's vision

But I really don't understand why D&D didn't delegate more. They're clearly burnt out, and that's understandable, their work load must be insane.

But most shows at this level have huge writing staff. The showrunners plot the season and write a few key scripts, while the bulk of the episodes are often written by others.

Sure there's Bryan Cogman and Dave Hill, and there used to be GRRM and a few others, but generally D&D are much more involved at the micro level of writing scripts than other showrunners. If they had taken a step back there and spent more time on finetuning the plot I think the show would have benefited, especially after they ran out of book material

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
they probably stopped giving a shit after the Red wedding and the rest of the ASOS material

hey at least season 6 was pretty good

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Apparently there was a falling out between him and D&D years ago (one of the reasons might be that they massacred the last script he wrote for them in season 4). https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywoo...e-rr-martin-last-script-the-lion-and-the-rose

This seems like a situation where the two sets of people work well together when it comes to the actual output, despite butting heads. Like a band that hates each other on a personal level but is able to pump out amazing music because they can interact professionally.

I feel like D&D *are* solid showrunners/adapters. Like they can take a script and tune it to make it work well for TV. They just seem too involved in the actual scriptwriting and don't have the capabilities for that part of it. Looking at the IMDB credits for S8 it looks like the first four episodes were all D&D plus two staff writers who had no other GoT episode writing credits previously. Don't feel like digging through previous seasons but I wonder if something similar had happened previously.

SArcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Looking at the IMDB credits for S8 it looks like the first four episodes were all D&D plus two staff writers who had no other GoT episode writing credits previously. Don't feel like digging through previous seasons but I wonder if something similar had happened previously.

Episode 1 was written by Dave Hill and ep 2 by Bryan Cogman, 3-6 by D&D (when the writing quality plummeted).

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
n5dxbewkt8x21.jpg

Jesus Christ!

Pathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 1 was written by Dave Hill and ep 2 by Bryan Cogman, 3-6 by D&D (when the writing quality plummeted).

TV credits can be super misleading. The writer room works on everything, and the showrunners get final pass even without getting credit. And how do you know about specific writing quality in 5 and 6? All you'd know from spoilers is from basic outline stuff, which is writers room with final say by showrunners.

What are the most egregious sins an episode of GoT can commit? Mine is "boring" first followed by "Illogical" which is why I'm generally higher on the "distasteful" Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken and season 5 as a whole.

For me it has been...
  • Too much Essos
  • A lack of Small Council / Adviser scenes (Tyrion/Varys/Davos scenes this season and last have counted)
  • Focus on extraneous characters with limited lifespans or that I don't care about (Sand Vipers and Greyjoys)
So I guess my answer is 'Season 5 as a whole', too.

I had to take massive breaks from reading in books 4 and 5. Too much of a focus on new plots that I'm having a hard time imagining really amount to much by the end. Aren't there more Greyjoy chapters in the books than there are Dany chapters?

Last edited:

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Yeah, HBO killing off their biggest moneymaker to please these dudes who are fucking off to Disney anyway. None of it makes sense.

SArcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
TV credits can be super misleading. The writer room works on everything, and the showrunners get final pass even without getting credit. And how do you know about specific writing quality in 5 and 6? All you'd know from spoilers is from basic outline stuff, which is writers room with final say by showrunners.

So we should never trust the credits? Gotcha.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with the decision to end thrones sooner than later, just not all the decisions of how they're ending it. I don't want to end up like like let's say Scrubs or SG1 where the show's end looks unreconisable from the beginning.

Bad decisions such as Arya jumping out of nowhere to kill TNK, the jump scare dragon kill and that monty python esque scene (which may go down in infamy) where it looks like Dany is threatening the gates of kingdom with a small squad. (I miss the slave cities conquests now)

Oct 25, 2017
So we should never trust the credits? Gotcha.

Yeah, basically, you shouldn't, if you know the show is structured like this. I mean, on this page alone, you have a giant example of why not too take a writing credit at face value-- GRRM's last episode was basically overruled and butchered by the showrunners. Everyepisode is vaguely co-written by the writers room, and especially so the showrunners.

There are shows where writing credits are accurate, like anthology-type shows.

SArcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, basically, you shouldn't, if you know the show is structured like this. I mean, on this page alone, you have a giant example of why not too take a writing credit at face value-- GRRM's last episode was basically overruled and butchered by the showrunners. Everyepisode is vaguely co-written by the writers room, and especially so the showrunners.

There are shows where writing credits are accurate, like anthology-type shows.

I always figured that the credited writer is the one who did most of the heavy lifting for that episode.

Oct 25, 2017
I always figured that the credited writer is the one who did most of the heavy lifting for that episode.

They at least did a draft at some point, usually, but even that's not always the case. On the West Wing, it was mostly a rotating credit despite Aaron Sorkin doing almost all of the actual scripts.

TV writer crediting is generally a mess relative to film and play standards.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
For me it has been...
  • Too much Essos
  • A lack of Small Council / Adviser scenes (Tyrion/Varys/Davos scenes this season and last have counted)
  • Focus on extraneous characters with limited lifespans or that I don't care about (Sand Vipers and Greyjoys)

I had to take massive breaks from reading in books 4 and 5. Too much of a focus on new plots that I'm having a hard time imagining really amount to much by the end. Aren't there more Greyjoy chapters in the books than there are Dany chapters?

I feel like Essos worked well when it leaned into the mystical aspects of the continent. Like I loved the mystery of the Warlocks/House of the Undying in both the book and show (all the killers of the council turning into Warlocks was a great scene), and the Qi lady who laid down some riddles. Even with the books I wish there was more about Assai and the lands of the far-far east. Show kinda ruined a good opportunity when Jorah and Tyrion went through the ruins of Valyria - so you had a bunch of greyscale victims, but otherwise the place was just...normal ruins. The book makes Valyria sound super interesting, show opts to just treat it like a city where the locals left and got replaced by some feral freaks.

I do agree with the political intrigue/debates of the small council and advisors. I feel like Meereen's biggest failure was not introducing enough locals to the situation - you had the one Master's son, but that was it, and he was fairly inconsequential. Meereen needed to have its own version of the small council, with several new characters from Meereen coming to grips with life with the conquering queen. Make Dany negotiate/learn *that*, rather than dropping Tyrion/Varys in and literally air lifting her out when the situation became inconvenient. Have her create an Empire in the East and come to grips with the question if she should even go to Westeros.

I do agree about extraneous characters, though that mostly depends on how they're used. You could say Oberyn was extraneous - he only lasted on season, but he was a fantastic character whose death had far reaching consequences.... or at least should have. The chieftess in Hardhome was similar - one episode, huge impact. So basically write the characters well and they're never extraneous.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game of Thrones is only going to look worse once everything wraps up. There were so many plot threads that either went nowhere (Dany in Meereen, everything to do with Dorne, Yara and the non-Theon Ironborn) or were never fully explored (Jon's resurrection, Jon riding a dragon, Bran's powers, time travel). Upon rewatching the entire series, people will just point out the extraneous story beats that we will know could have been safely cut without removing any of the greater themes or character motivations.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
If Dany doesn't have Tyrion executed in this next episode, then she may as well feed herself to Drogon.

The plan to make a last demand for Cersei's surrender was his plan and it cost her a dragon and Missandei.

Tyrion is Dany's biggest liability, by far.

Oct 28, 2017
I think 8 seasons is about the right amount for the story, just reducing the amount of episodes was a mistake. "The Last of the Starks" felt like two episodes crudely stapled together. The scenes just didn't have time to breathe, like Jaime/Brienne and Jaime leaving should have been in different episodes.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor

It couldn't be more blatant they wanted to be done with this shit

On one hand, it pisses me off that I finally found an instance where someone actually having a set plan in mind for when their show should end was undoubtedly a badly executed plan

On the other hand, I'm glad the cast never has to work with them again. Emilia doesn't have to mask laughing to defend their shit, and Dinklage doesn't have to look bored because his character got reduced to a sidekick. I wish them all the best going forward

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If Dany doesn't have Tyrion executed in this next episode, then she may as well feed herself to Drogon.

The plan to make a last demand for Cersei's surrender was his plan and it cost her a dragon and Missandei.

In this particular case they were heading to Dragonstone, anyway. So it isn't a Tyrion specific fuck-up.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I think 8 seasons is about the right amount for the story, just reducing the amount of episodes was a mistake. "The Last of the Starks" felt like two episodes crudely stapled together. The scenes just didn't have time to breathe, like Jaime/Brienne and Jaime leaving should have been in different episodes.
Right. And with the total runtime they easily could have chopped these in to more traditional length episodes.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't that his plan, though? After he talked her into not nuking King's Landing?

And how did Euron know they were going to Dragonstone?
I still think it's very likely that Varys has been leaking the whole time (it would soften the blow of everyone being idiots), but they came up with the plan with everyone in on it at the strategy meeting, Jon was the one who mentioned who was going where iirc.

It was all very rushed.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

For me it has been...
  • Too much Essos

No, lol. Even if you include Theon, Dany has more chapters than all the Greyjoys combined.

KenobiLTS

Banned
Nov 27, 2018

Dude anyway they had to move to KL for the fight, all of this would have happened for that, this has nothing to do with Tyrion.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I still think it's very likely that Varys has been leaking the whole time (it would soften the blow of everyone being idiots), but they came up with the plan with everyone in on it at the strategy meeting, Jon was the one who mentioned who was going where iirc.

It was all very rushed.

I had not even thought of that but it makes a ton of sense.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
Completely changing showrunners has its own set of problems, people have their own interpretations of story arcs and characters and that can lead to weird shifts in a show's vision

But I really don't understand why D&D didn't delegate more. They're clearly burnt out, and that's understandable, their work load must be insane.

But most shows at this level have huge writing staff. The showrunners plot the season and write a few key scripts, while the bulk of the episodes are often written by others.

Sure there's Bryan Cogman and Dave Hill, and there used to be GRRM and a few others, but generally D&D are much more involved at the micro level of writing scripts than other showrunners. If they had taken a step back there and spent more time on finetuning the plot I think the show would have benefited, especially after they ran out of book material

For me its clear that after they had their meeting with disney and knew they were gonna be fine after GOT they wanted to end it. Imagine if they took the time to map out the seasons focusing on narrative instead of subversion and expectations...

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017

He's the dumbest character on the show right now, and the audacity that Varys is plotting treason when Dany has listened to almost every single disastrous plan Tyrion has cooked up, is some of the most ridiculous bullshit I have seen. Tyrion's council resulted in:

Daario being left behind when a general of his talents would absolutely have been needed.

The loss of Dorne, Ellaria, and the Sand Snake.

The Loss of the Reach and Olenna Tyrell.

The loss of significant ships from the fleet due to Euron's surprise attacks in season 7.

The loss of Visarion, Thoros, and the destruction of the wall.

After all that, Varys is adamant that Dany must still play with one hand behind her back. The low collateral options have failed one after the other. Mass civilian casualties have already been inflicted by the enemy in their sacking of High Garden and subsequent looting of the Reach. Why are the lives of the people in KL more valuable than the lives of the people of High Garden?

If Stannis had a dragon or two, would he be sieging KL the conventional way, or would he have used those dragons to tear the place apart? You know he would have destroyed KL from the jump and would have laughed at being told to not use them like Dany was told in season 7. Robert would have also used them.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned - Incorrect Marking of Spoilers as Speculation
After the battle when Cersei and Euron are dead, they're probably going to have Dany execute both Tyrion and Varys, and that will be the thing that makes her a "mad queen". When in reality those two have been awful advisors and are now actively talking about treason.

Jon will sullenly thrust his love with his huge, throbbing, turgid sword, and then be sad and go back up north beyond the wall and reunite with Ghost.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 27, 2017
After the battle when Cersei and Euron are dead, they're probably going to have Dany execute both Tyrion and Varys, and that will be the thing that makes her a "mad queen". When in reality those two have been awful advisors and are now actively talking about treason.

Jon will sullenly thrust his love with his huge, throbbing, turgid sword, and then be sad and go back up north beyond the wall and reunite with Ghost.

Hey hey hey, Tyrion has made monumental fuckups and should prob lose his job but he isn't treasonous....yet

Last edited:

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
He's the dumbest character on the show right now, and the audacity that Varys is plotting treason when Dany has listened to almost every single disastrous plan Tyrion has cooked up, is some of the most ridiculous bullshit I have seen. Tyrion's council resulted in:

Daario being left behind when a general of his talents would absolutely have been needed.

The loss of Dorne, Ellaria, and the Sand Snake.

The Loss of the Reach and Olenna Tyrell.

The loss of significant ships from the fleet due to Euron's surprise attacks in season 7.

The loss of Visarion, Thoros, and the destruction of the wall.

After all that, Varys is adamant that Dany must still play with one hand behind her back. The low collateral options have failed one after the other. Mass civilian casualties have already been inflicted by the enemy in their sacking of High Garden and subsequent looting of the Reach. Why are the lives of the people in KL more valuable than the lives of the people of High Garden?

If Stannis had a dragon or two, would he be sieging KL the conventional way, or would he have used those dragons to tear the place apart? You know he would have destroyed KL from the jump and would have laughed at being told to not use them like Dany was told in season 7. Robert would have also used them.

I swear when I have time I'm going to edit a video together showing the show contradicting itself in just these recent seasons. Remember, Daario was left behind by Dany specifically because she knew she'd have to marry someone to make alliances in Westeros. Then when the very first real potential ally presents herself in Jon Snow, The King in the North, and despite being attracted to him, she doesn't suggest the piss easy solution of them getting married. Instead, she complains about him not bending, refuses to listen to his pleas for aid, and then asks him to go on a pointless suicide mission. ALL of that instead of just marrying the dude and immediately bringing the North to her side.

And now, suddenly she doesn't want to marry because she doesn't wish to "share the throne." What a load of horse shit. Also, what happened to Tyrion talking to her specifically about a successor? She mentions she can't bare children, thus her legacy dies with her. But, she refuses to entertain any means by which she might name a successor. What?!?!?

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Rewatching, Euron's first scene in S6 isn't bad, he came across as otherworldly, which they should have gone more with. Overall He comes across as Theon's obnoxious older brother (even if it's his uncle) There are even better C grade villians in the walking dead tv series.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Book Euron felt like the fucking antichrist or something so this weird Jack Sparrow adjace always felt weird

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
I swear when I have time I'm going to edit a video together showing the show contradicting itself in just these recent seasons. Remember, Daario was left behind by Dany specifically because she knew she'd have to marry someone to make alliances in Westeros. Then when the very first real potential ally presents herself in Jon Snow, The King in the North, and despite being attracted to him, she doesn't suggest the piss easy solution of them getting married. Instead, she complains about him not bending, refuses to listen to his pleas for aid, and then asks him to go on a pointless suicide mission. ALL of that instead of just marrying the dude and immediately bringing the North to her side.

And now, suddenly she doesn't want to marry because she doesn't wish to "share the throne." What a load of horse shit. Also, what happened to Tyrion talking to her specifically about a successor? She mentions she can't bare children, thus her legacy dies with her. But, she refuses to entertain any means by which she might name a successor. What?!?!?
Nobody makes sense in this show anymore. Every single major character acts out of character and or constantly contradicts themselves.

Oct 25, 2017
I would expect some kind of twist with the NK's fate vs. memory ( "the North remembers" and Tormund mentioning 'the true North' make me ask: "which North remembers?" ), but with two episodes left, ain't nobody got time for that.

Shame too, since that "ice moving forward" intro was actually a neat way to update the map, as well the final pay-off for caring about 'The Wall' for seven seasons... If only they had somehow had more time, or sped things along earlier.
(yes, I am aware D&D's writing intuitions are not very good, and they definitely did not pitch Confederate by accident, is all I'm saying. It is what it is though. )

Also, no Stannis being brought back from the dead. :P
(yes, we talked about this already. )

Seriously though, one thing the books can massively improve on versus the show is the characters having to deal with their undead friends and so on within the wight horde, like Hodor, Stannis, Ned, or for that matter Jon Snow's very mother rising from the crypt or something. They showed it in ep 3 with Berric, Mormont, the Crow dude, and others, but those characters did not have scenes / appearances after getting ''blue eyed", sadly (I'm assuming they didn't have the actors on hand for other scenes, and even those blue eye shots may have been CG'd). That was kind of an oversight since Hardhome set that up, if you will. Having that leader lady in the horde would have at least made for "hey we remembered this is a thing" bit. Could have been a random Crow, for all I care.
I suppose the undead dragon was supposed to be 'that thing', but that doesn't count, since it's not human.

Oh well, at least it's not BSG... yeah, remember that show? And the actual release time table? You fockers calling this "the worst"... there is SO much worse out there. Like the entirety of LOST, yes.
(which I did not watch because it was bullshit from the get go. Great performances, but zero substance storywise. Only "the constant" is an exception)

Oct 25, 2017
My main hope for the finale is for it to be as well-scored, filmed, and edited as well as The Long Night and the very start of this last episode. I'll fucking despair if it is edited like the second half of this episode.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guys can you please avoid writing 'theories' and speculations in this topic? Or at least spoiler tag them.
Morrigan Volimar I think this is a good idea, I just don't know how feasible it is to execute or moderate since a lot of people just want to post funny gifs and twitter posts.

I was thinking maybe after 8.5 we should implement something like this - no "theories" or "suggestions" without spoiler tags for the ending. Or do you want to start doing that now?

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
There's not all that many eligible bachelors for Dany to even marry anymore. You got Jon, Jaime, Sweetrobin, Gendry, uhh… whoever's ruling Dorne now?

Oct 25, 2017
My main hope for the finale is for it to be as well-scored, filmed, and edited as well as The Long Night and the very start of this last episode. I'll fucking despair if it is edited like the second half of this episode.

8.5 is the same director as 8.3 and hardhome, so it should be alright.

8.6 is the mandatory "producer / creator" director credit, so it could be dogshit, or a meaningful finale, complete coin-toss. So far however, GoT finales have tended to be pretty tight, but those always ended on a cliffhanger, so this might go differently.

But anything like the first three episodes would be great, even if they wouldn't feature something as great in its music as "the night king" theme (the piano bit).

Oct 25, 2017
Umm...
Users have been posting spoilers in this thread disguised as theories/predictions. Every "prediction" should be put in spoiler tags or posted in the spoiler thread instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.