• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Again, there's a difference between ruling through fear and being a genocidal maniac. Cersei blowing up the Sept was ruling through fear, Dany deliberately burning the entire population of King's Landing is being a genocidal maniac. I mean, what's the point she's trying to get across here: Serve me or I will kill another half a million people?

Nah, it's ruling through fear.

Again, Mad Queen Dany isn't the problem. It's the complete lack of proper setup. It's why (f)Aegon was needed in the story and why it was dumb for D&D to cut him.

She lost her last two dragons.
She lost her best friend.
She lost her best and most loyal adviser.
She lost her lover.
And, the people refuse to love her.

When Jon Snow refused her love, it was clear to her that a marriage to quell any dissent would no longer work. Jon's dumbass self wouldn't marry her. Thus, there would always be plotters like Varys in the background seeking to place him on the Throne and be a threat to her life and reign. The only option left was to rule through fear, to turn King's Landing into Harrenhall 2.0 to show all the Lords of Westeros what happens when you defy the Dragon. You want to crown Jon Snow as your King? Fine, guess what? I have dragons and if you think surrendering will spare the lives of you and your people, think again. You will all die burning and screaming. Your castle will be torched to the ground. Your family cleansed from history. And, nothing can stop my dragon. Ask Cersei and her Scorpions.

So, either submit to my rule or die.

The only dumb part is her not also telling Grey Worm to stab Jon Snow in the back the moment he let his guard down to remove a potential threat. Like, if you're going to go "Mad" Queen whose all about protecting her reign, why is she keeping Jon Snow alive?

Well their ending is going to be roughly what GRRM's ending will be so if he says its gonna be bittersweet then I am gonna take him at his word until I see otherwise.

Though I wouldn't put it past D&D to mess up the real ending as well at this point.

Says who? Because D&D never said that. And, GRRM hasn't read the S8 scripts.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
Dragon fire was basically a flame thrower before. It would set people on fire without even knocking them down. No force or blast.

Now it explodes stone castles like they were made of paper? How?

Try shooting a stone wall with a flamethrower and see what happens.
This bothered me quite a bit tbh, fire shouldn't be collapsing buildings like that.

It's known that Fire is "not very effective" on rock.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I don't share the same enthusiasm for the Clegane fight as many of you. I found it incredibly unsatisfying because the mountain is just a zombie of his former self. Whoever Clegane is fighting is just an impossible-to-kill creature that isn't his brother. His brother died in season 4, so I found nothing redeeming about it.
Exactly my thoughts. The fight should have been emotional for both brothers.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
She was pre-occupied because she fell.for his trap to lure her away.

Doesn't matter, she is a idiot. She was always going to be mad, we knew this since the beginning. People were too busy naming their kids after her to see all the signs.
You was just saying Arya did the actual work and killed NK and Dany didn't do shit, but now you're saying she's an idiot for going after NK? Lmao. Make up your mind.

As much as there are fans stanning for Dany, there's as much people who feverantly hate her.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they were cerceiis people, they had it coming. They chose cersei over dany, shit happens.

They didn't even like Cersei. I'm not sure how any of them chose anything. The casual indifference to the roasting of one million innocents is completely at odds with how this latest episode was filmed. Where it's clear the director tried to show the horrors of war and frankly shoved it in the audience's face until they had to look away.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
Always amusing to watch the usual twitching hysterics spunking off over how this is JUST THE WORST. See you graceless bitches same time next week as usual.

Would have liked to see armoured Drogon rather than Dany just 'git gud'. Euron fight was dumb (why did he look scared on the boat he was literally waiting for Drogon) and Tyrion was beyond idiotic but otherwise a satisfying and superbly executed episode. Still a lot to play for in the finale.

I do agree that a couple more seasons would have smoothed over the various accelerated arcs but this is really just a weakness of the books rambling failure to move the story on. Imagine how impossible it is going to be to tie up all those tangential threads.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Even more disturbing than Daenerys' fall from grace were all the posts ITT literally cheering for her as she started roasting everyone in King's Landing. Fuckin' YIKES.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw the episode.

Botched writing aside, that was incredible. I was shaking the entire time. The pure distilled destruction on display was absolutely terrifying. Emilia Clarke killed it as well. She made Danaery's unadulterated rage palpable. There was something cathartic about watching the total collapse of King's Landing as well. All the conniving, scheming all the political games all the attempts at diplomacy all the ambitions of good governance and rule we've seen throughout the show turn to ash.

Denali

Mar 20, 2018
I don't share the same enthusiasm for the Clegane fight as many of you. I found it incredibly unsatisfying because the mountain is just a zombie of his former self. Whoever Clegane is fighting is just an impossible-to-kill creature that isn't his brother. His brother died in season 4, so I found nothing redeeming about it.
Exactly my thoughts. The fight should have been emotional for both brothers.

I think clearly some part of the Mountain was still there. He completely went berserk when he saw the Hound, he didn't give a shit about protecting Cersei anymore which has been his entire programming since he's been resurrected. If it was just a random guy to him, I think he still would have been following orders from Qyburn and Cersei - instead he flipped. Fight had me yelling at my TV.

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, Drogon put in work. After deleting the Golden Company it was just gratuitous.

Does Danaerys get triggered by bells or something? Jupiters cock.

In the end, it was just a cipher for Sandor's incurable damage. There was literally no point in him seeking out his brother. Even so he couldn't live without going through the motions of revenge. And was self-aware about it, warning Arya away from becoming like himself.

Does Danaerys get triggered by bells or something? Jupiters cock.

The bells were never a trigger. The long takes of Tyrion looking to the ringing of the bells indicated he still didn't grasp that Dany was already gone. He thought the bells would stop the fighting, when instead they had already been decided upon as the signal to burn the city.

Travo

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
Just saw the episode.

Botched writing aside, that was incredible. I was shaking the entire time. The pure distilled destruction on display was absolutely terrifying. Emilia Clarke killed it as well. She made Danaery's unadulterated rage palpable. There was something cathartic about watching the total collapse of King's Landing as well. All the conniving, scheming all the political games all the attempts at diplomacy all the ambitions of good governance and rule we've seen throughout the show turn to ash.
It was like when they blew up the whole town on Little House on the Prairie. :P

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Even the writers didn't believe the "OMG you can't burn the Red Keep with the couple thousand people that Cersei put in there as meat shields to end the war" dilemma they set up, so they had to have Dany burn the entire city full of innocent people on a whim.

It's trash.

That, and they wanted Arya POV "escaping hell" scenes (which I thought were well done).

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Outside of Cersei/Jamie ending a little suddenly, this was one of the best big setpiece episodes of the entire series. The focus on shooting it like a war movie, the brutality of the combat, the tension before the battle, I thought all of that was perfect.

I do no look forward to another week of brain melting discourse though, especially about people who were just ignoring obvious signs that Dany would turn heel for years getting mad because their headcanon is wrong

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I guess this episode finally snuffed out hope that things would get better which is why the reaction is so negative. I haven't had much hope for a satisfying conclusion for years so I guess it didn't hit me that hard and I enjoyed episode as a visual feast. Thought it was cool to have arya on the ground floor as shit goes down.

I didn't like how they got to these conclusions with the characters but I haven't liked that for a long time tbh. The episode was the level of spectacle I wanted out of the Battle for Winterfell which is why I was really disappointed in that episode compared to this one.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I can get over the leap of dragon lady all of a sudden snapping and killing civilians....maybe. But if Arya doesn't kill someone in the next episode like the "faceless man" trained her, I'll be very disappointed with her arc. Bran's complete uselessness better be redeemed as well. I just feel like the showrunners have made so much of what happened in the earlier seasons completely pointless.

I mentioned it the other day but it'd be really hilarious if she did that training and stole the faces and ended up doing nearly nothing consequential with it. She uses it one time to kill the Frey's? Ok....

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. The episode was a fantastic 80 minutes of television.

Seeing a very vocal minority screaming about the poor writing regarding Dany's decision to burn King's Landing has me scratching my head though. It's almost as if some people haven't watched the show and haven't picked up on the possibility that this was always a potential outcome. The show has laid it out pretty clearly. Especially considering with what's transpired in the previous episodes for the character.
Where are you seeing it as a minority? RT gave the episode less than 50%

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Says who? Because D&D never said that. And, GRRM hasn't read the S8 scripts.

They are not just going to make up their own ending. We have known all along that GRRM gave D&D the information they needed regarding how he saw the ending of the series going. They are going to adapt that ending as best they can given the liberties they have taken up until this point. In fact as I have said earlier in the season I am willing to bet that is one of the major reasons why there are so many seemingly random things in the show this season. Its because they are in the ending to the books and D&D is doing their best (or worst?) to shoehorn them into the story in order match the ending as best they can.

I said it before a few times now, but I think its safe to assume that the ending to the show and books will be more or less the same. The only differences will be in the finer details of how things play out. Basically the destination will be the same, but how we get there will be different. And since GRRM will have over 2,000 pages to get us there it will make alot more sense than it does now.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"Jaime is going to kill Cersei, lol it's obvious"

Laughing at the fools who still had hope for the writing.
giphy.gif

I still cant believe this.

Status
Not open for further replies.