• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xolsec

Feb 18, 2018
Was this show planned for 10 seasons originally?

I feel Martin kind of screw everyone involved in the show by not releasing the last 2 books.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
You was just saying Arya did the actual work and killed NK and Dany didn't do shit, but now you're saying she's an idiot for going after NK? Lmao. Make up your mind.

As much as there are fans stanning for Dany, there's as much people who feverantly hate her.
It's not hating her as much as hating her defenders. I love my PS4 but can't stand the attitudes of people who Stan it. Same thing.

The people saying Dany's turn was too abrupt haven't been paying attention.

Let's not even get into the fact that Jamie can fight off the army of the dead but not Euron.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I was actually quite intrigued when the battle was going so well for Dany early on, and wondering what kind of showdown she and Cersei would have once she flew up to the red keep with so much episode left. As soon as the bells tolled, and the needless massacring started, it lost me.

Top marks to Daenerys for flying circles around those ballistas her second time around.
Why were Euron and Jaime fighting?
They had beef over who gets to fuck the queen

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
Again, there's a difference between ruling through fear and being a genocidal maniac. Cersei blowing up the Sept was ruling through fear, Dany deliberately murdering the entire population of King's Landing is being a genocidal maniac. I mean, what's the point she's trying to get across here: Serve me or I will kill another half a million people?

It goes back to what she told Jon Snow. She believes she won't ever be able to have people on this continent love her the way they love him (which is the same way she is loved on Essos.) And ultimately, she doesn't want to have to rule by fear.

She's basically cleaning the slate here to replace them with the people who do love her for what she wants to be loved for, who she can rule from the place her birthright entitles her. Having her cake, eating it, too... breaking a few eggs in the process.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
With exception to the character assassination of Jamie/Tyrion/Jon and stuff like that this was an enjoyable episode, if only cus of the spectacle.

Danyres killing civilians is to be expected and I'm glad they did it, but it was a bit absurd that she was actually out to massacre them. A lack of logical consistency. Like there's a difference between being mad enough to see civilians as threats and just killing them for the sake of it.

CleganeBowl was over way too fast. Like really, that's it? Should have been a lot more personal and emotional than a brief scuffle on the stairs.

Also Lena Headey was wasted this season.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
I seriously wonder if this awful ending is going to have a bearing on how people feel about the series as a whole.

I followed this show start to finish and legit liked watching, even what I thought were the worst eps, all the way through from seasons 1 through 7

I'm never rewatching an ep (it's up there with Dexter for me now, I just can't do it anymore) and I'll have successfully sold my season 1 DVD on eBay for a buck before the finale even begins next Sunday

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
I think you're joking here but actually... that might be true haha.
I mean it's kind of like his king slayer moniker. He's known for one thing and he'll never be able to change that. He was never trusted regardless of banner and just the same he'll never be trusted in Dany's regime. Euron was right that he really was the king, but he wasn't ready to really own his fucked up relationship until the end. Living peacefully in exile with Brienne was a lie that no one would ever buy. May as well die in truth

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
We now have confirmation that Cersei was the real hero of Game of Thrones. She was the only character whose ever tried to protect the civilian population.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's quite simple actually. I don't like people who revel as pigs in shit at the perceived 'failures' of this unprecedented show and I wish to share my contempt for them.

I don't think that's what's happening though. Sure the Internet and ERA can be an overly cynical, negative place. But people legitimately criticizing a particular episode, especially the morning after it airs, are not reveling in the show's failures. If you can't understand why some people would feel last episode was poor, you aren't really trying. You don't have to agree with it. For someone who seems to be arguing for reason, it's pretty inconsistent to insult a bunch of people for how they perceive a television show. It suggests perhaps that you aren't using reason yourself and are reacting emotionally. Which is a bit ironic considering the way you lambasted people for doing something similar.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Soo uuh brehs... can someone explain Jaime's arc throughout the show for me?

Because uuuuhhh
He's in love with Cersei
He isn't anymore!
Just kidding, he is
We made him rape her, just in case you started to like Jaime
Oh, now he betrays Cersei again and he's a good guy again
Cersei wants him dead, there really is no turning back now
Just kidding, they still love each other and die in each other's arms

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
imagine spending all your time in the leaks and then coming over to the kneelers like you're oh so knowledgeable

i'm a leaker and watch the show with kneelers but i don't say shit

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
It's disappointing that Jaime went back to Cersei knowing there was no twist there, among the complaints about Dany's character arc Jaime stand out to me more.

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
Even more disturbing than Daenerys' fall from grace were all the posts ITT literally cheering for her as she started roasting everyone in King's Landing. Fuckin' YIKES.
Ordinarily I'd be right there with you but the show is impossible to take seriously at this point. There's such a degree of detachment that it kind of was hilarious at times, much like episode 3.

As awful as the show had become, I was still convinced that at least Jaime would be killing Cersei. Not even that happened. It's insane just how much of a disaster this is.

Come on GRRM - finish at least the sixth book. ASOIAF world deserves better than this.
I'm hoping the speculation that Winds release will be announced after next week's episode is true. I shouldn't, but I can't help myself. Please let it be true :c

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I mostly liked the episode. However the way Jaimie went out, ignoring eight seasons worth of character development is complete bullshit. Holy shit they did Jaimie dirty.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Is that true though? There are people all over calling it a character assassination.
I think most people see it as character assassination because it feels rushed as fuck.

Daenerys thinking she's on a hero's journey, only to become the villain, has always been a likely outcome, but there has been no nuance or texture in the transition recently. It feels like we're jumping from plot point to plot point with people like Varys inserted to tell us "Oh, she's crazy now, btw" because her actions don't speak for themselves.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Worst part of the episode

Speaking of the 6th book, what do you think of this?

Man is friends with GRRM I think, and I don't know why he would lie about this information unless he's misinformed.

I don't believe it, but it would be one hell of a plot twist if it's true and the second the show ends GRRM announces the release of TWoW and ADoS.

2ndTuXx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Again, there's a difference between ruling through fear and being a genocidal maniac. Cersei blowing up the Sept was ruling through fear, Dany deliberately murdering the entire population of King's Landing is being a genocidal maniac. I mean, what's the point she's trying to get across here: Serve me or I will kill another half a million people?
She wasn't deliberately trying to kill the civilians in King's Landing. She was going after Cersei and the remnants of her army. In order to do that she was always going to end up killing innocent people. Cersei even placed a bet on that to insure her own security. Dany saying fuck it and not caring about not being loved and liked by anyone results in people dying.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Some impressions:

- Cleganebowl was fantastic. Everything about the fight itself was thematically on point. Sandor was obviously overpowered, and his struggle was hard to watch. But in the end, he finally finished Oberyn's work and the fall into the fire was a beautiful and sad moment. I just don't understand why he was there. Did he ride all the way back to KL just to face Gregor? It was a perfect way for both characters to go out, but everything leading up to it felt rushed and I'm confused as to what motivated him to do that. At first I thought he was going to kill Cersei but he just let that bitch slide on past. It was a satisfying battle, but it feels like Sandor's only reason for being there was because the plot required it of him.

- Dany's fall from grace on paper is a powerfully tragic moment that COULD have worked, but again, it felt rushed. I guess her advisors were the only thing preventing her losing her shit at moment's notice? There seems to be a built-in theme in story that she can't outrun her bloodline, which is kind of weird. She clearly has empathy and sympathy for the downtrodden, for those vulnerable to power so for her to start torching all of the peasants in KL at the ring of a bell felt very out of fucking nowhere. It's not that it isn;t plausible, but the way it was depicted in the show definitely felt implausible. There should've been at least a good three episode run of building up to that, of showing her suffering from her mental illness and showing the descent into madness to create tension leading up to the sack of KL that makes you wonder IF she could snap. But in the show it felt more like she was mourning the deaths of her advisors and then snapped without a moment's notice. It's a very iffy thing because it implies that she was three or four advisors away from being a mad queen. To the show's credit, the POSSIBILITY of this happening was always hanging somewhere in the air, but the execution of it felt rushed and betrayed a lot of the character she showed, a lot of the things she clearly believed in. In short, I think the mad queen twist could definitely work and it won't surprise me if it makes it into the books, but the show dropped the ball enormously on portraying her descent into madness in a convincing enough way. SHE WON THE FUCKING WAR. SHE HAD IT IN THE BAG. IT WAS OVER. What possible fucking reason at that point did she have for going mad queen!!!????

- Anyone saying Jamie's death wasn't fitting and ruined his character arc did not pay attention. He lost the plot when he raped Cersei (fuck Cersei, but rape is rape) and definitely reached a new low when he sacked The Riverlands and killed Olenna Tyrell. Incest, he pushed an innocent boy out of a window and crippled him, conspired against Winterfell and bares some responsible for the death of Ned Stark, murdered a person for no reason, committed rape, killed people in the Riverlands including the true bad bitch queen of the whole series, and probably a few other things I'm forgetting. He had his moments, but he was not a good person lol. Going back to Cersei was fitting enough, but the real character assassination moment if there was one was the scene of him admitting to not caring about anyone - not even the innocent lives he saved by slaying the king. It's an attempt to contextualize him as someone who only ever did any honorable things because of his loyalty to Cersei and doesn't make a lot of sense.It's contradicted several times throughout the show, even in this very season.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
From a YT comment:

Game of Thrones Patch 8.05 notes:
- Scorpions now have -50% hit rating
- Iron Fleet may now only fire one bolt at a time
- Buildings and structures now take 500% more dragonfire damage. (Developers notes: We noticed that dragonfire was ineffective against buildings and structures in previous patches (8.03) for the Army of the Dead faction, to a point where a single Hero class could hide behind a rock and take zero damage. We believe this hotfix will address future dragonfire siege damage against buildings)
- Daenerys Hero class and infantry for Targaryen faction have had their sanity reduce by 100% and will often attack random enemy and neutral units
- Arya hero class health increased by 400%

giphy.gif

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually really interested in the finale. My original thought was it was going to be the usual cleanup episode after the good guys win now it could go a lot of interesting ways.

Code Artisan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Varys dead was so lame, we will never know why he was so faithful to the realm and what/who he heard from the burning flames.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
yes by using them as meat shields

Who's worse though? The person using meatshields or the person mainly trying to kill the meatshields?

Is that true though? There are people all over calling it a character assassination.

No. Jon, Jamie and Tyrion were character assasinated, Danyres's heelturn was just a tad rushed, overzealous and probably should have had a better trigger than the bells. But otherwise the gist is consistent with what's been set up for her.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She wasn't deliberately trying to kill the civilians in King's Landing. She was going after Cersei and the remnants of her army. In order to do that she was always going to end up killing innocent people. Cersei even placed a bet on that to insure her own security. Dany saying fuck it and not caring about not being loved and liked anyone results in people dying.

The army had already surrendered. All Dany needed to do was go to the Keep and kill Cersei if she was worried that this was a feint.

Status
Not open for further replies.