• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The Sandor fight never made sense. We never saw the Mountain do horrible stuff to the point he would warrant such focus. Sandor is afraid of fire because of him? So what?

If anyone should have killed him it it should have been Dany for having killed her nephew/niece, to get to Cersei. But it never deserved so much attention anyway.

I would have much preferred for Sandor to die pinning the NK while being on fire to have Arya stab the NK. Would have been a nice ending for him: he stops fighting for himself and confronts his fear of fire.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
From a YT comment:

Game of Thrones Patch 8.05 notes:
- Scorpions now have -50% hit rating
- Iron Fleet may now only fire one bolt at a time
- Buildings and structures now take 500% more dragonfire damage. (Developers notes: We noticed that dragonfire was ineffective against buildings and structures in previous patches (8.03) for the Army of the Dead faction, to a point where a single Hero class could hide behind a rock and take zero damage. We believe this hotfix will address future dragonfire siege damage against buildings)
- Daenerys Hero class and infantry for Targaryen faction have had their sanity reduce by 100% and will often attack random enemy and neutral units
- Arya hero class health increased by 400%

giphy.gif

Perfection.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I hope that next week is revealed that the mass murder of King's Landing was part of Sansa Stark monstrous 5d chess play

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Please tell me there aren't people here still defending this shit show

No need to defend it, I enjoyed it.

And I'm sure everyone in here shitting all over this show likes something that I find terrible.

It's just opinions. People here looking down on others for liking the show are making a bigger ass of themselves than D&D ever could.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I actually liked the Sandor vs Gregor battle. Both of them falling into fire, from where their rivalry and hate was born was a good end (with a tragic/triumphant musical note to end it). Not to mention the setting for their fight was weirdly otherworldly, kind of a contrast to the realism we see in the streets.

I have no idea what the whole deal with Euron was though. Worst character in the show.

While I didn't like Jaime accepting and trying to save Cersei, I never imagined a happy end for him. He's participated in far too many bad deeds for him to be redeemed.

Oct 25, 2017
This is all Bran's fault. Sitting around playing Virtual Crow Simulator while knowing millions are about to die? Couldn't think of letting somebody know?
My guy is playing too many games.

I really liked Arya being out of her element here, afterall she's still young and inexperienced.
Yep, confident as hell in the beginning until Sandor snapped her into reality, he really cared for her.
Killing Cersei wasn't worth it at that point, they already failed at getting there so they could pre-emptively end this thing, Dany saw to that.
Her POV from then on was fantastic imo.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean they basically set her up and ran with a sort of feminist overcomes obstacles idea for a bit there so yeah some people will be upset that she did this at all. The marketing pushed that, and they leaned pretty hard with it at times in dialogue.
I dunno...this show has always been incredibly sexist and misogynistic regardless of what window dressing they've attempted to put on it.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Jamie never turned away from Cersei.

Once people realize that, they'll also realize that not every character NEEDS a complete arc.

Sometimes characters are simply consistent and the flirtation with catharsis is the emotional tug that makes it interesting.

Full arcs can be completely generic and predicatble, which kills storytelling, IMO.

Were people honestly hoping Jamie turned out to be a real hero? Were people hoping Dany actually became a reasonable person of mercy?

Your being disappointed is proof the show succeeded, whether you admit it or not.

Last edited:

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
- Buildings and structures now take 500% more dragonfire damage. (Developers notes: We noticed that dragonfire was ineffective against buildings and structures in previous patches (8.03) for the Army of the Dead faction, to a point where a single Hero class could hide behind a rock and take zero damage. We believe this hotfix will address future dragonfire siege damage against buildings)
Seriously when did fire become so desctructive? Perhaps Drogon got a grenade launcher upgrade...

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah there's no way GRRM releases both books at the same time even if he's finished writing both (which I don't believe either).

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't get this.

Why didn't she just burn the Red Keep.

Better question? Why burn the Red Keep at all?

I can understand smoldering the civilians in blind rage and to instill fear. But, the Red Keep was built by her ancestors. Why would you burn the one steadfast symbol of Targaryen rule.

Also, has Dany forgotten she can't bear children? Remember how they hinted how that might not be the case? I guess they kind of forgot about that. Does she care that her reign will not outlast her?

Jamie never turned away from Cersei.

Once people realize that, they'll also realize that not every character NEEDS a complete arc.

Sometimes characters are simply consistent and the flirtation with catharsis is the emotional tug that makes it interesting.

Full arcs can be completely generic and predicatble, which kills storytelling, IMO.

Were people honestly hoping Jamie turned out to be a real hero? Were people hoping Dany actually became a reasonable person of mercy?

You're being disappointed is proof the show succeeded, whether you admit it or not.

Or you could just call it what it is, bad writing.

Helot_Azure

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I blame Jon and Tyrion for Dany going crazy. All Jon had to do was return her affection. But nah, he acts like she has an STD or something every time they kiss each other. Tyrion keeps screwing up to the point where Dany thinks he's just pining for his family and has divided loyalties. To top it all off, one of her dragons and her best friend gets brutally killed right in her face.

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
Well this Anakin Skywalker turning to the dark side all over again.

This people are going to make Star Wars.

Heelpop

Oct 28, 2017
Soo uuh brehs... can someone explain Jaime's arc throughout the show for me?

Because uuuuhhh
Reclaiming his honour by separating himself from Cersei who's toxic.

Then going back for some reason.
Unquestionably the worst arc of the show.

They really fucked that one up

xohbssjwdwx21.png

I honestly don't know how people still defend the two clowns. Fuck D&D

Kuroyume

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Forgot something. What was that favor Tyrion wanted from Davos? It wasn't to help Cersei and Jaime escape, right? Because he wasn't anywhere near there.

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
She wasn't deliberately trying to kill the civilians in King's Landing. She was going after Cersei and the remnants of her army. In order to do that she was always going to end up killing innocent people. Cersei even placed a bet on that to insure her own security. Dany saying fuck it and not caring about not being loved and liked by anyone results in people dying.

Earlier in the episode with Jon she says "then I will rule with fear."

She is sending a message: she is the one with the dragon. In her mind this battle is meant to send a powerful message, even if its not the smart or right decision.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
- Dany getting mad for no reason after the enemy surrendered wtf. there was no build up for this madness and no, missandeis' death wasn't enough for that especially seeing how calm she is while talking to grey worm this episode.
- Euron getting stabbed by the easiest dodge-able attack in the entire show+ his last scene lmao
- Cersei death was so disappointing I had to rewatch the scene to make sure it was real.
- Everything about Arya was pointless this episode. She couldn't kill Cersei and couldn't even save that girl and her mother. Pointless all around. At least she thanked the hound yay?

What a mess.

The finale is gonna be bad isn't it?

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Loved the episode, Dany has crossed the point of no return. At first i was like "oh shit they won, maybe they won't end up destroying the city". But then i saw dany had "mad queen face" activated and well, shit went down.

2ndTuXx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope, look at the episode. There are several moments in Dany's rage where Drogon's attacks are aimed at streets with no soldiers on it. Hell, most of the destruction is away from the Red Keep, Dany only starts attacking the Red Keep itself around the time the Cleganebowl happens. If she was going after Cersei, why would she not directly fly to the Red Keep? The only reason Cersei died in the attack is because all the exits were conveniently blocked off, otherwise she and Jaime would've had time to escape.
It was mass hysteria. it's sort of difficult to make out who is who when it's anarchy everywhere. I'm not defending Danny's character or trying to give her reasonable doubt for what she did. It was fucked up which the show was trying to highlight.

She had a choice to either let Cersei try to escape and let her army surrender or hold people accountable.

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's very very important to remember the lead up to this fight. Dany starts to feel extremely vulnerable to being replaced by Jon. Even if he says he doesn't want it, if everyone else does then there's not a lot of options. She was also grieving for her dragon and Missandei so that didn't help.

Her decision to "let it be fear" did have build up. Maybe not as much as we're used to seeing, but this season doesn't have the time to really do that. Really they could have made these 6 episodes into 20, and that probably would have solved a lot of problems with character arcs being trimmed down too much. But the arc is there, it's not just a sudden unearned flip to crazy town.

Deleted member 25712

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's just funny to me that everyone suspected Dany would go Mad Queen but somehow the show didn't earn it or it came out of nowhere...it's been expected...it's been hinted at...everyone's wondering if it will or won't...but it comes out of nowhere?

Last season she burned the Tarlys rather than give them a chance to reconsider or take the black...and you might say "well that's a far cry from genocide they wouldn't bend the knee!" Yes, but in the moment she was strongest and could most afford to show mercy, and when it made strategic sense, she took the cruelest, blunderous option against Tyrion's advice.

Since then she's lost two of her three dragons who she considers her children, half(?) her armies, her most trusted adviser was executed at a negotiation, she was betrayed by Varys, Tyrion's made blunder after blunder, she's been shocked to find she's not the true heir and feels incredibly insecure knowing Jon both has the better claim and people know/love him, and Jon, who she just went on A Whole New World dragon ride with in Episode 1, is now rebuffing her. Everything's gone sideways and to shit on her since coming to Westeros. She's already rationalizing why at this point she needs to commit genocide to basically start it all over. Tyrion's begging her to call off the attack and she gives this curt nod like "yeah ok whatever" and Grey Worm clearly knows what she's going to do, the the Unsullied are nothing if not Clone Troopers ready to take Order 66 from her.

I dunno...everyone's got their breaking point. Shit has consistently been going south on her since she landed and she likely does blame everyone telling her to hold back and try to overthink things. And one thing the show did right: Emilia's acting is usually not the strong point but she's upped her game this season IMO, and once Dany committed she certainly followed through. I expected the town to be sacked and burned, not a nuke dropped on the Red Keep.

Now the Lannister/Euron/Bronn plot lines...woof.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Did anyone notice the ramp up to the episode where they lingered on Dany after Missandei gets executed? And then in her head it basically has her replaying everything that happened in her life to make her finally snap?

Last night I thought the reason she went Mad Queen was based on her conversation with Jon, where she basically said "Ok, then I'll make them fear me." But thinking back on it, if that was the intention all along I'm not sure why the writers would have started off with a quick recall of everything that pushed her to snap. I mean, it even ended with her brother's voiceover threatening her about "waking the dragon."

Some day there's going to be a killer interview where these guys actually, honestly, talk about the thought process behind their decision-making. I'm not mad at them for any of it... just really more perplexed, I guess is the word I'd use.

It's not like I thought six episodes this season would be enough to wrap everything up. The pacing of everything makes me wonder if they were blindsided by HBO wanting to wrap up everything after season 6...

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I blame Jon and Tyrion for Dany going crazy. All Jon had to do was return her affection. But nah, he acts like she has an STD or something every time they kiss each other.

She

is

his

aunt.

How are people still trying to put this shit on Jon? The dude is weirded out that the woman he fell in love with and has been banging is his aunt and people are acting like that is completely ridiculous and unbelievable when its arguably the MOST believable and understandable thing that has happened this season.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I love the absurd dichotomy of Book Euron being this like sinister mystic force who has grand designs and inscrutable goals, and show Euron happily giggling on his deathbed that the he managed to fight a one-armed has been to a draw.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It was mass hysteria. it's sort of difficult to make out who is who when it's anarchy everywhere. I'm not defending Danny's character or trying to give her reasonable doubt for what she did. It was fucked up which the show was trying to highlight.

She had a choice to either let Cersei try to escape and let her army surrender or hold people accountable.

She completely destroyed the city, after Cersei's army surrendered. She clearly aimed for civilians and soldiers alike.

Oct 25, 2017
I can when he says that he loves her, goes in for a kiss, and then acts like she has cooties.
Yeah but I've been reading this sentiment elsewhere in much more crass ways.
"If only Jon had banged his aunt, would've stopped her from going mad."
It's...not a good thing to pin on someone.

So? Targaryens love incest and keeping it in the family!
Jon wasn't raised a Targaryen. It's weird to him, simple as that.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I actually liked the Sandor vs Gregor battle. Both of them falling into fire, from where their rivalry and hate was born was a good end (with a tragic/triumphant musical note to end it). Not to mention the setting for their fight was weirdly otherworldly, kind of a contrast to the realism we see in the streets.

I have no idea what the whole deal with Euron was though. Worst character in the show.

While I didn't like Jaime accepting and trying to save Cersei, I never imagined a happy end for him. He's participated in far too many bad deeds for him to be redeemed.
Yep agreed. Sandor vs Gregor is something straight out of Dark Souls. The lighting, the fight in tower, dragons circling in the background, etc.

anor_londo.jpg

Loved it. Even though OP Mountain was a bit much.

Helot_Azure

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
She

is

his

aunt.

How are people still trying to put this shit on Jon? The dude is weirded out that the woman he fell in love with and has been banging is his aunt and people are acting like that is completely ridiculous and unbelievable when its arguably the MOST believable and understandable thing that has happened this season.

Again, then stop attending make-out sessions with her, and stop saying that he loves her. Be straight up and say that he can't love her in that way because she's his aunt.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
I both loved the episode but am confused by some of the choices which for the life of me make no sense.

So we knew Cercei was going down and Dany was going to be attacking. I didn't she would burn the city but ok I can see it. Sure we spent 7 seasons rooting for her as she was a just leader but they always showed some deep rooted issues there that she tried to hold back. I get what they were going for, that she snapped but I just don't think the reasons she snapped made much sense.

I still go back to the NK episode. Have him kill the dragon, not Euron. Show in the next episode how she is grieving like a mother who has lost 2 out of her 3 children, Dorah, and then has to deal with Sansa/Arya questioning her, Jon (in her opinion) betraying her, Tyrion and Varys betraying her, and slowly showing her losing grip. Of course, all this works better if you have a full 10 ep season, which I think has been the biggest issue with seasons 7 and 8. The lack of time and room for things to breathe and come out more organically...

Why is Jaime reverted back to a shitbird? I thought he was going back for sure to kill Cercei to as a final ac of his story. That they die together in the rubble but he stabs her before the world collapses on them.

Why is Euron, who they have tried to build up as this menacing force, done in by a wounded one-handed Jaime? For a 2nd battle in a row, Jon Snow does absolutely nothing? I am a sucker for 1 on 1 sword battles. How about have Jon battle Euron. Give Jon something to do.

Why is Arya there at all? She knew Dany and her entire group is going to kill Cercei. Why is Arya there? Just felt forced just to show some cool visuals through her pov. She changes her mind on the spot after a few words with the Hound.

But on the positive, the visuals, battle, score, and overall production of the episode made it better to me than the NK battle for Winterfell. This was a visual feast where you could see everything. Again I like where they are ending up, just now how they are getting there and I am perplexed how a few changes here and there would have switched this all up.

Status
Not open for further replies.