• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I engage with media in such a way that if I don't like something that happened in said media, I analyze why. You should try it if you find yourself disliking something someday. You can learn about the creative process, and yourself.
When people don't like something they usually tend to avoid the thing they don't like.

Oct 25, 2017
She sacrificed half her people and a dragon to save them and they gave Jon all the credit. Then she tried to partner with Jon and he rejected her. Then all of her closest friends were killed. Not sure what else she was supposed to do.
She did what she was supposed to do. She won the battle, she successfully took King's Landing.
The problem is, she didn't stop there. And now she's one of the worst creatures in all of Planetos.

Damerman

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Yes it is. Dany is literally telling him that she isn't loved in Westeros, and that idiot Jon is like "None of that matters because you're my queen and I love you!" So Dany tries to kiss him and he pulls away, pretty much reinforcing the notion that no one will ever love her and that she must rule with fear because she can't trust anyone. Yup, good going Jon. Then Tyrion literally goes behind her back and tells the biggest loudmouth in Westeros about Jon's background, pretty much undermining her claim to the throne completely.

Which in turn goes back to Jon because for some reason he's so damn honest that he can't keep a secret from his sisters.

Shit, if I was in Dany's place, I'd roast half the city as well.
Jon wants to tell his family because his father is ned start and he was raised to be honorable and to be honest. He's not a stark, he's a targeryan. Jon isn't having conflicting feelings about dany, he doesn't love her anymore. He swore that she would be his queen... He's not going back on his word. Thats why they talked about Jorah, to juxtapose Jon and Jorah's feelings for their queen.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yes but there is zero reason for her to believe the people won't support her especially after everyone else in Westeros announced their support for her, no reason to believe anyone would believe Jon is the true heir or want to take Dany out for him to rule (bastard, Night Watch vow breaker, friend of wildlings, supported by a red priest like Stannis before him), and especially not after she manages to take the whole city on her own without killing a single civilian.

Did the writers support it? Yes, in a completely unbelievable manner.
And like I've been saying, it would have been pretty easy to get the character to that place and it would have helped other characters narratives in the process.

I mean let Vary's plan gain momentum(the whole saga seemed so half-cocked and out of character for him). Let her feel truly isolated, feel like the lords and people are plotting against her like the Mad King did, start feeding seeds of disdain and distrust for the people of Westeros. Let Tyrion wrestle with the conflict. Let that betrayal really hit her. Let her start expressing that disdain in morally questionable ways toward her subjects, ratcheting up the conflict. Drag her back from the ledge a bit with Jon again but leave the seeds of concern planted in the viewers mind. Have Cersei's iron grip mean more than her soldiers immediately laying down arms, therefore the razing can start as Dany going balls out like her character had been willing to do and then slowly weave in her now established genocidal tendencies and Jon's realization that we are the baddies now.
She's advocating for genocide. She's literally saying "sacrificing these people will be worth it for the generations to come." She's got the plan in her head and rationalized it out and made herself feel justified already. She's already The Mad Queen who decided surrender alone wasn't good enough, before she leaves Dragonstone.
That is not once established or inferred with the character. What is established is a willingness to go hard to win the throne and bring Cersei to her knees, not the motive to raze a surrendered city and targetting the innocent block by block.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly I hope they didn't show Dany at the end since she's riding North for Sansa. Bran will just sit and watch for the story and not care either way. This is all on Sansa honestly for pressuring Jon into saying something.

I could see something weird happening were Arya is able to disguise herself as Jon (since he died) and killing Dany in the end. Especially after what she witnessed and if Dany goes after or kills Sansa.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Soooooo why didn't Dany do this last episode?
Because they had Missandei and she was still trying to get Cersei to surrender. She was trying to show the world that she wasn't the monster they had thought she was. Then they pushed her over the edge by killing the one person who meant the most to her.

Last edited:

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Bro have we been watching the same show? Dany is a brutal killing machine who loses her temper and kills tons of people ALL THE FUCKING time.

She watched as her brother had molten gold poured on his head.
She burned the masters alive.
She crucified the masters in Myreen.
She locked the Dothraki in a hut and burned them alive.
She massacred the Masters entire fleet and then burned 2/3 of them alive to send a message.
She massacred the entire Lannister army in the field.
She burned the Tarlys alive instead of putting them in jail. She burned Varys alive for betraying her.
She's wanted to burn Kings Landing to the ground SEVERAL times and was only talked out of it by Tyrion who she no longer trusts.

Dany has been on the edge of being a total fucking psycho the entire show but she always had someone with her to hold her back. It was Jorah or Missandei or Tyrion or Dario or what have you. Up until now her homicidal temper has been mostly limited to people we all thought "deserved it".

We must be watching different shows fam.

Do you watch this show with one eye open or something? 😆

First of all, none of what she did till she burned the city after winning it was wrong. Secondly, some of stuff you list didn't even happen (Dany did not burn the Master's entire fleet, watch that episode again). Why do people keep using slavers and a brother who just threatened to kill her as examples of bloodthirstiness?

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how this relates to Dany choosing to massacre the citizens of KL after they yield? Of course what Cersei did was completely wrong as well but Dany continuing her path of destruction was not right either. Now it's fine to debate whether the show does a convincing job in building up this choice from Dany (I don't think it does despite the past strong hint towards it) but I don't understand how the actions we see on screen are justified.
It's war. She went for the jugular and it worked. Ethics/morals went out the window in Season 1.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Dany doesn't have her plot armour stat maxed out. Arya does. Jon was smart enough to put his stats into plot armour instead of intelligence as well. In my perfect world Sansa, Jon and Arya would all be dead. Salsa will probably be queen at the end of all of this though. Either way I'm buckling in for 80 more minutes of my expectations being subverted.
Salsa, my queen.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
On that last point, I think HBO wanted more seasons. 10 at least. Its their biggest and highest rated most watched show ever. They wanted more, its why they have 2-3 spinoffs planned. D&D claimed they had only enough story left for 12-13 episodes and came up with the season 7 and 8 plan. I'll never get it because for all the shit they get now, some deserved and some hyperbole IMO, they did season 6 mostly after the books and to me that is one of the best seasons of the show. The payoffs were pitch perfect.

I 100% blame them for shortening the seasons and rushing everything to get to this end goal. Whereas seasons 1-6 felt like they had a natual progress and it would lead to where it lead to organically. I remember there is some speculation that it was cause they wanted to move on to other projects. Even if that was true, not sure why they didn't they just pass off the show to some other showrunners? I mean 95% of the problems in seasons 7 and 8 are solved if they are full 10 episode seasons and run by showrunners who aren't looking to move on.
It's a long time to commit to a project especially one so high profile and subject to scrutiny. In terms of where Martin has left the story it would probably take 10 - 12 series to do it justice. Many people are sceptical that Martin can wrap things up in two books even if they are LOTR length each.

There is also the awkward and somewhat unprecedented situation of having to construct a resolution that doesn't step on the toes of where Martin's narrative is heading.

For all the criticisms of D&D they have at least seen it through to the end unlike most show runners.

Oct 25, 2017
Episode was entertaining, the directing was great, and emilia clarke did very well. The ground-level carnage against the spectacle view from Cersei and Dany's POVs was excellent in framing just how insane and desperate everything had gotten.

My biggest complaint though is the way the innocents are used in the narrative. I think that was the most extensive depiction of the horrors of war in the show so far. It was troubling. But it was so obviously included to give impact and momentum to Dany's descent. The people were still just tools for the writers to get Dany to a certain point.

And this relates with the most asinine aspect of the show: its insistent sympathy for Cersei. At the end they try to humanize her and make her seem multidimensional, but it doesn't work because her character arc for years has included the flattening of her into a villain from an R-rated Star Trek fanfic. She was a complicated if ruthless mother, then she became the Smirk Empress and the show celebrated her victory.

Where were the scenes with the innocent when Cersei blew up the sept? Why, now, are we finally seeimg actual humans in Kings Landing, and not before?

In conquering the city, Dany became the villain. I actually like that, as a conclusion to her deluded savior narrative. But by staging the deaths of civilians as the momentum of her descent the way it did, the show turned Cersei into the protector bringing people into the Red Keep and the Lannister soldiers into the brave noble heroes. The show reinforces an infuriating imbalance of impact and significance. Some mass crimes are depicted as victories, some as tragedies in the show, and that inconsistency undercuts a ton of the intended response for me.

In short, they should have written Dany's fall in a way that didn't rely upon narrative sympathy for Cersei, who is an utterly myopic monster of a shit.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I hope they didn't show Dany at the end since she's riding North for Sansa. Bran will just sit and watch for the story and not care either way. This is all on Sansa honestly for pressuring Jon into saying something.

I could see something weird happening were Arya is able to disguise herself as Jon (since he died) and killing Dany in the end. Especially after what she witnessed and if Dany goes after or kills Sansa.
If Bran really can see the future, it's all on him for revealing it to Jon/pushing Sam to do it in the first place. What purpose does it serve?

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Do you watch this show with one eye open or something? 😆

First of all, none of what she did till she burned the city after winning it was wrong. Secondly, some of stuff you list didn't even happen (Dany did not burn the Master's entire fleet, watch that episode again). Why do people keep using slavers and a brother who just threatened to kill her as examples of bloodthirstiness?

My thoughts as well. Nothing she's has done so far has even sniffed destroying the entire city AFTER it had surrendered which is why it's a big leap for me and a lot of people it seems.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Bingo. She starts to fly towards the target, you...the mission, and then says fuck it and burns the people she hates instead. She may as well have lot

Because you don't just turn shit off like a faucet.at least not like a working one.

He caught major feelings.feelings that still get the best of him. And then he remembers and is conflicted.

Some of y'all sound like you're projecting your horniness on John's situation
"Of course Jon is conflicted. It's his aunt! Yuck!"

"He should stop vacillating between kissing her and telling her he loves her and then acting grossed out by her/ignoring her. Especially right after she's suffered a bunch of losses, her people are betraying her, and he himself betrayed her by telling everyone who wants to take her down about how he's the rightful king even though he doesn't even want it. Probably not a great way to handle this relationship, whichever way you want it to go."

"You're just horny for Dany"

Oh word? You got me. lol

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Dare I say....

Varys forced Dany to nuke the whole city.

Mr. Save the Innocent stupidly betrayed Dany by telling the world of Jon's lineage, putting Dany in a terrible situation where she HAD to make a statement.

Varys was stupid to do what he did. A total miscalculation that resulted in the total.opposite of what he wanted to accomplish.

Sansa and the North and everyone else would see Jon as the true king, and since she can't bring herself to just kill Jon, she decided to go with Plan B - scare the whole world into bending the knee for her by destroying King's Landing and everyone who would dare oppose her.

Dany had no choice. She had murder up the place.

I think she should kill all the Starks and Tyrion too, to remove all doubt of her claim. But I don't think D&D have the balls to end the show killing off the most popular showrunners.

Nope to all of this. She had all of the cards. She had the surrender and could have shown the people that she was merciful. They hated Cersei. She blew it all for nothing.

Oct 26, 2017
One thing that my brother pointed out that's weird is that the show kind of celebrates the cruelty of characters other than Dany.

Arya is one of the two hero characters in the show and Arya murdered a bunch of abused children and baked them into pies... The show has not suggested any madness for her.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dany should've just killed the Starks. Would've been more pragmatic and sensible.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Again, still doesn't get us to where she suddenly has victory in her grasp and decides to commit genocide. The character had established for her a ruthless, power at all costs streak, not vindictive genocide toward her scared and cowering subjects.

She speaks of having to rule by fear, not laying waste to that which she would claim as hers by right.
Yeah, I think this is the issue. She destroys the entirety of King's Landing, but is still gunning for the throne. She doesn't want to be Queen of Ashes so what is she actually trying to achieve? Without any reaction of her during that whole sequence it's hard to see it as more than her randomly snapping and indiscriminately killing everyone simply to fit the Mad Queen twist. Either do one or the other, or show a purpose for why she's doing these things. They tried to cram everything into one basket and it's just a mess.

I imagine this scenario will play out differently in the books. Either
a) She'll burn the Red Keep as an act to instill fear, but trigger the wildfire and inadvertently obliterate the city. Tragic, and the trauma of the event would likely drive her genuinely mad. She'll go on a rampage to retaliate for what she perceives as a betrayal/trap by the city.
b) The commonfolk prefer fAegon and Dany sustains heavy personal losses. She'll give up on the throne entirely and start killing everybody out of hatred, jealousy and spite in order to bring everyone else down with her.

The way it played out on the show...well, Cersei's (dead man's switch) plan succeeded once again. Queen of Ashes indeed.

Deleted member 28131

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I guess they'll live off their Game of Thrones royalties from now on, because how could someone possibly hire these two fucking garbage-ass HACKS.

They will be nuclear-grade toxic after this show is over. The massive negativity that is already swirling will follow them to the end of their existence.

Man... what is wrong with some of you people lol. Calm down.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't hate this as much as most people on twitter. They didn't quite sell Dany's motivations sure, but I get where they're coming from. This episode probably had the best direction of the season (the scenes on the ground during the battle were incredible, especially that oner with Arya and the family), and I thought the moment with Arya and the Hound was great. Also it surpringly made me feel sympathetic towards Ceresei. The spectacle is still pretty enjoyable even if it's not up to par with earlier seasons.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
It's war. She went for the jugular and it worked. Ethics/morals went out the window in Season 1.
It worked but then she kept going.

And war is not without rules and ethics. Yes people in the the world of GoT often break them but that's exactly why they're immoral and the antagonists whom we hope get their comeuppance (like the Lannisters). And I don't think we've seen anyone in the show commit such giant war crime as Dany did this episode. Her frustrations and aggressive approach to the attack was justified but her continuing massacre was not.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
She went after Cersei's army and as a result killed everyone on site. What she did wasn't any kind of noble act. All she cared about was trying to hold people accountable for what happened to her Dragons and Missandei. She didn't care about civilians dying.

Her vindictiveness resulted in a mass number of people dying, which was wrong. Thats what the episode was trying to highlight

She burned entire sections of civilians that had no soldiers in sight. She "burned it all", if we want to go the "poetry, it rhymes" route. Cersei and her personal, direct followers killed her Dragons and Missandei, not the thousands of women and children that she was warned existed still. Out of all the violent acts Dany has committed, never has she hinted that innocents deserve to die. It would have been very simple to burn everyone responsible in one fell swoop by going after the Red Keep (except for Euron, who was busy being a final boss for Jaime I guess), but she needed to commit a Holocaust first to justify the pacing of her transformation into the "Mad Queen". It's rushed and unfortunately just a symptom of the writers trying to end everything quickly because they want to work on their "What if Confederate soldiers were sympathetic and slaves were still a thing?" show.

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol why was Ether_Snake banned? Him calling out the bell bullshit right before it happened does not mean he was spoiling any leaked stuff. Wasn't it obvious to literally everyone at that point? Looking at his post history, nothing implies he knew about the bells spoilers anyway.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm okay with a previously heroic character turning insane, but they way it happen was executed very poorly. Sloppy, unrealistic, and unsatisfying. The tone of the episode was actually pretty cool, but the content was completely unearned.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol why was Ether_Snake banned? Him calling out the bell bullshit right before it happened does not mean he was spoiling any leaked stuff. Wasn't it obvious to literally everyone at that point? Looking at his post history, nothing implies he knew about the bells spoilers anyway.
Other than actively posting in the leaks thread you mean ? Sure.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I guess they'll live off their Game of Thrones royalties from now on, because how could someone possibly hire these two fucking garbage-ass HACKS.

They will be nuclear-grade toxic after this show is over. The massive negativity that is already swirling will follow them to the end of their existence.

These types of posts are disgusting.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

I can only hope.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not committing genocide would be a great first step lol

She's advocating for genocide. She's literally saying "sacrificing these people will be worth it for the generations to come." She's got the plan in her head and rationalized it out and made herself feel justified already. She's already The Mad Queen who decided surrender alone wasn't good enough, before she leaves Dragonstone.

she needed to commit a Holocaust first

Weird definitions of "genocide" some people are operating on here. Even in modern warfare conducted by "civilized" nations, there are heavy civilian casualties (at least as targeted as what Dany does here), rape, pillaging, and the near-obliteration of settlements and cities, but we don't use that word to describe the actions of, say, the US in Vietnam or Iraq.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I think this is the issue. She destroys the entirety of King's Landing, but is still gunning for the throne. She doesn't want to be Queen of Ashes so what is she actually trying to achieve? Without any reaction of her during that whole sequence it's hard to see it as more than her randomly snapping and indiscriminately killing everyone simply to fit the Mad Queen twist. Either do one or the other, or show a purpose for why she's doing these things. They tried to cram everything into one basket and it's just a mess.

I imagine this scenario will play out differently in the books. Either
a) She'll burn the Red Keep as an act to instill fear, but trigger the wildfire and inadvertently obliterate the city. Tragic, and the trauma of the event would likely drive her genuinely mad. She'll go on a rampage to retaliate for what she perceives as a betrayal/trap by the city.
b) The commonfolk prefer fAegon and Dany sustains heavy personal losses. She'll give up on the throne entirely and start killing everybody out of hatred, jealousy and spite in order to bring everyone else down with her.

The way it played out on the show...well, Cersei's (dead man's switch) plan succeeded once again. Queen of Ashes indeed.

Well being generous maybe this was all a 'break the wheel' moment. She ends the Seven Kingdoms in the most brutal way imaginable, goes up to Winterfell to burn Sansa and Bran, then fucks off back to Meereen to rule Slaver's Bay instead, or just goes off cruising the skies by herself.

I mean doesn't make much sense, but it's an option.

Deleted member 25712

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My thoughts as well. Nothing she's has done so far has even sniffed destroying the entire city AFTER it had surrendered which is why it's a big leap for me and a lot of people it seems.

It's nonsense that she's never made a mistake before this episode. She learned in Mereen that conquering was the easy part, ruling was the hard part. Shit was going sideways on her there too. She's bounced back before, like with the Dothraki rallying to her, but everything since she's landed on Westeros has been a shit show, and on top of that her claim to the throne is basically null if Jon wants to take it. Everyone around her she's trusted is either dead, betrayed her, or rebuffed her. Two of her three trump-card dragons are gone.

She's never been in this spot. She's had a psychotic lust for the throne the entire show and she's at the finish line feeling like anything less than complete decisiveness will leave her still vulnerable. So she makes up this rationale that future generations will be better off if she nukes King's Landing. Boom, now she's justified in her actions. This is how crazy people think.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

Are you sure thats why he was banned? The Bells thing seemed pretty obvious to me once they started repeating it over and over again in the episode. It was "The Crypts are safe!" all over again and when you combine that with Dany's erratic behavior it doesn't seem like that big of a leap to make at the time.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Weird definitions of "genocide" some people are operating on here. Even in modern warfare conducted by "civilized" nations, there are heavy civilian casualties (at least as targeted as what Dany does here), rape, pillaging, and the near-obliteration of settlements and cities, but we don't use that word to describe the actions of, say, the US in Vietnam or Iraq.

Speak for yourself, because those are also genocide.

Oct 25, 2017
The whole city has been turned to ash, hundreds of thousands have been burnt, killed and raped.
How is that not a genocide?
And I'd definitely use those terms to describe what happened in Iraq and Vietnam.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Episode was entertaining, the directing was great, and emilia clarke did very well. The ground-level carnage against the spectacle view from Cersei and Dany's POVs was excellent in framing just how insane and desperate everything had gotten.

My biggest complaint though is the way the innocents are used in the narrative. I think that was the most extensive depiction of the horrors of war in the show so far. It was troubling. But it was so obviously included to give impact and momentum to Dany's descent. The people were still just tools for the writers to get Dany to a certain point.

And this relates with the most asinine aspect of the show: its insistent sympathy for Cersei. At the end they try to humanize her and make her seem multidimensional, but it doesn't work because her character arc for years has included the flattening of her into a villain from an R-rated Star Trek fanfic. She was a complicated if ruthless mother, then she became the Smirk Empress and the show celebrated her victory.

Where were the scenes with the innocent when Cersei blew up the sept? Why, now, are we finally seeimg actual humans in Kings Landing, and not before?

In conquering the city, Dany became the villain. I actually like that, as a conclusion to her deluded savior narrative. But by staging the deaths of civilians as the momentum of her descent the way it did, the show turned Cersei into the protector bringing people into the Red Keep and the Lannister soldiers into the brave noble heroes. The show reinforces an infuriating imbalance of impact and significance. Some mass crimes are depicted as victories, some as tragedies in the show, and that inconsistency undercuts a ton of the intended response for me.

In short, they should have written Dany's fall in a way that didn't rely upon narrative sympathy for Cersei, who is an utterly myopic monster of a shit.
I do agree with this. The show has not quite been the paragon of illustrating the horrors of war in the past or showing it as a unfortunate act one has to engage in. It's been at times gratuitous and juvenile with the violence displayed on screen. So a sudden attempt to show the plight of innocent victims feels very much manipulative and inconsistent with the show's tone thus far. Nevertheless I think Sapochnik did a good job, however hypocritical it may seem.

Status
Not open for further replies.